Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Redneckerson wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds good ,Hill-billy soulfood at its best. Have you ever eaten tomato-kraut? My wife cans it every year ,the spicey kind with onions and hungarian wax peppers in it. It goes great with Pinto beans.
Oh yes, Redneckerson I have and it is so delicious. Would you give me your wife's recipe? By the way, it's good seeing you today. I have a good Chow-Chow recipe that I like to have on hand to use in pinto beans.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

COOTERDOG wrote:
Good morning folks. I fixed eggs, country ham and biscuits this morning for breakfast. I'm going to use the rest of the ham to make a pot of brown beans for supper. I guess the menu will be the country mess. I will have brown beans, cornbread, fried potatoes with onions, wieners and kraut, and coleslaw. I just put in a apple pie in the oven for dessert.
Me and Molly Rose will be right over!:)

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

-Lily- wrote:
<quoted text>
Please do... How are you today,-Lily-?

“Mayor Of Topix-Land”

Since: Sep 08

;)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Scrambled eggs with roasted red peppers, grilled onions, and a small amount of left-over steak chopped up and added to it with a side of hash-browns covered with some melted Mexican cheese and toast made from sour dough bread. All of that washed down with a strong cup of coffee.

Now I am ready for a nap.

Hope you all are doing well this morning.
Redneckerson

Yawkey, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>Oh yes, Redneckerson I have and it is so delicious. Would you give me your wife's recipe? By the way, it's good seeing you today. I have a good Chow-Chow recipe that I like to have on hand to use in pinto beans.
I'm doing good thanks , my wife is looking for the recipe as we speak. She corrected me and told me it's called Green tomato kraut. It tastes about like hot chow-chow. When she finds it I will post, she said if you have a Ball canning book it's in it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Sundog512 wrote:
Scrambled eggs with roasted red peppers, grilled onions, and a small amount of left-over steak chopped up and added to it with a side of hash-browns covered with some melted Mexican cheese and toast made from sour dough bread. All of that washed down with a strong cup of coffee.
Now I am ready for a nap.
Hope you all are doing well this morning.
Sounds delicious, SD. I hope you're having a great day.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Redneckerson wrote:
<quoted text>I'm doing good thanks , my wife is looking for the recipe as we speak. She corrected me and told me it's called Green tomato kraut. It tastes about like hot chow-chow. When she finds it I will post, she said if you have a Ball canning book it's in it.
Thank your wife for me and I'm happy to know that you're wife and you are doing great. I do have this recipe my mother uses and it tastes so great that you don't even realize their tomatoes are in the jam.
Green Tomato Raspberry Jam...Canning
INGREDIENTS | MAKES 89 PINTS
8 cups shredded green tomatoes
cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons orange extract
3 tablespoons homemade dried, grated orange peel
8 cups white sugar
2 6-ounce packages raspberry-flavored gelatin mix
Combine tomatoes, lemon juice, orange extract, dried orange peel, and sugar in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir and cook about 10 minutes.
Add gelatin; reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes. Spoon into hot, sterilized jars. Cap and seal.
Process in water-bath canner for 10 minutes or pour into freezer containers and freeze.

“Mayor Of Topix-Land”

Since: Sep 08

;)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds delicious, SD. I hope you're having a great day.
I always eat well when my wife is out of town. No oatmeal and orange juice today.

;)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>Please do... How are you today,-Lily-?
After reading your post....starving lol
Feeling better, sore but that is to be expected.
Redneckerson

Yawkey, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

1quart chopped cabbage
1quart chopped green tomatoes
2 sweet red peppers
2 lg onions
1/4 cup salt
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard, 1 tsp dry turmeric,1tsp celery seed
Chop the cabbage, tomatoes, peppers and onions. Mix with salt and let stand overnight. Next morning drain well make sure all liquid is removed. Boil vinegar, water, sugar, and spices 5 minutes. Add chopped veg. mixture. Bring to a boil and pour into sterilized jars. 1/2 inch from top of jar. Process in hot water bath 5 min. Yields 6 pints.
I use hot wax peppers instead of sweet peppers we like spicy foods, this recipe was in my mothers old Kerr canning recipe book. Hope you enjoy
Redneckerson

Yawkey, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>Thank your wife for me and I'm happy to know that you're wife and you are doing great. I do have this recipe my mother uses and it tastes so great that you don't even realize their tomatoes are in the jam.
Green Tomato Raspberry Jam...Canning
INGREDIENTS | MAKES 89 PINTS
8 cups shredded green tomatoes
cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons orange extract
3 tablespoons homemade dried, grated orange peel
8 cups white sugar
2 6-ounce packages raspberry-flavored gelatin mix
Combine tomatoes, lemon juice, orange extract, dried orange peel, and sugar in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir and cook about 10 minutes.
Add gelatin; reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes. Spoon into hot, sterilized jars. Cap and seal.
Process in water-bath canner for 10 minutes or pour into freezer containers and freeze.
It's funny how the tastes of food changes when canned. She has canned her whole life, something strange she makes is watermelon rind pickles. She saves the rind and makes them taste exactly like bread and butter pickles.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

-Lily- wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad to hear you have Molly Rose with ya:-)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Redneckerson wrote:
1quart chopped cabbage
1quart chopped green tomatoes
2 sweet red peppers
2 lg onions
1/4 cup salt
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard, 1 tsp dry turmeric,1tsp celery seed
Chop the cabbage, tomatoes, peppers and onions. Mix with salt and let stand overnight. Next morning drain well make sure all liquid is removed. Boil vinegar, water, sugar, and spices 5 minutes. Add chopped veg. mixture. Bring to a boil and pour into sterilized jars. 1/2 inch from top of jar. Process in hot water bath 5 min. Yields 6 pints.
I use hot wax peppers instead of sweet peppers we like spicy foods, this recipe was in my mothers old Kerr canning recipe book. Hope you enjoy
Thank you so much. I'm making a print of this recipe to share with my mother. I appreciate the time you took to find the recipe then type it...The hot wax peppers that you use would give it a spicy flavor...a kick as some might say... I also like how the flavors have time to marinate overnight.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad to hear you have Molly Rose with ya:-)
Yep I have been holding her hostage for weeks lol
She's a trooper, trust me, I haven't been the greatest to be around at times. She's a true friend.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Redneckerson

Yawkey, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you so much. I'm making a print of this recipe to share with my mother. I appreciate the time you took to find the recipe then type it...The hot wax peppers that you use would give it a spicy flavor...a kick as some might say... I also like how the flavors have time to marinate overnight.
The 'ole woman' typed it out ,it would take me all day. She said you are very welcome,but I think I created a monster she hasn't quit talking about canning ever since. I've called her 'Ole Woman' since she was 17 She tells everyone if I called anything else ,she would think I was cheating on her. My Grand-ma would get furious when she heard me call her that, until She realized what was goin on.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Redneckerson wrote:
<quoted text>It's funny how the tastes of food changes when canned. She has canned her whole life, something strange she makes is watermelon rind pickles. She saves the rind and makes them taste exactly like bread and butter pickles.
The watermelon rind pickles sounds good too. My mom has canned my whole life and my favorite food she cans are 2 things. I love her Rhubarb and Strawberry Jam and her Bread and Butter Pickles. My grandmother used to make a sauce that she canned made out of tomatoes, zucchinis,onions, dill weed, and other ingredients to put over fried Kielbasa. To me, opening up a jar of canned food and using it has so much more flavor than compared to the can food bought in a grocery store.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Redneckerson wrote:
<quoted text>The 'ole woman' typed it out ,it would take me all day. She said you are very welcome,but I think I created a monster she hasn't quit talking about canning ever since. I've called her 'Ole Woman' since she was 17 She tells everyone if I called anything else ,she would think I was cheating on her. My Grand-ma would get furious when she heard me call her that, until She realized what was goin on.
Thank you, Mrs. Redneckerson for the recipe. I love to cook.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

-Lily- wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep I have been holding her hostage for weeks lol
She's a trooper, trust me, I haven't been the greatest to be around at times. She's a true friend.
Have a wonderful weekend!
That was who was trying to send me a SOS.:D
Redneckerson

Yawkey, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>The watermelon rind pickles sounds good too. My mom has canned my whole life and my favorite food she cans are 2 things. I love her Rhubarb and Strawberry Jam and her Bread and Butter Pickles. My grandmother used to make a sauce that she canned made out of tomatoes, zucchinis,onions, dill weed, and other ingredients to put over fried Kielbasa. To me, opening up a jar of canned food and using it has so much more flavor than compared to the can food bought in a grocery store.
I agee, The ole woman keeps her rhubarb planted in her flower garden arond the house, this keeps the deer from it and keeps it a little warmer she mulches it in the fall,and it has been coming back for yrs. I like it raw dipped in salt ,sour but so good.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Redneckerson wrote:
<quoted text>I agee, The ole woman keeps her rhubarb planted in her flower garden arond the house, this keeps the deer from it and keeps it a little warmer she mulches it in the fall,and it has been coming back for yrs. I like it raw dipped in salt ,sour but so good.
I have a deer problem too eating flowers and food plants. I've even had a deer eat my roses one year. My neighbors use a spray to keep the deer away, but I don't like all those chemicals in on my food or soaking in the ground. We have well water and it is really good. It was so good that the man that lived here before I bought this place made moonshine using the water. I found the still in my basement and had some guys stop by and ask for the man. Never a dull moment at this place.:D

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 6,041 - 6,060 of19,787
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Thorpe Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Thorpe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance