cooterdog's hang out

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#6570 Feb 23, 2013
-Lily- wrote:
<quoted text>
Me and Molly Rose will be right over!:)
Glad to hear you have Molly Rose with ya:-)

“Right To Die With Dignity ”

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#6571 Feb 23, 2013
Redneckerson wrote:
1quart chopped cabbage
1quart chopped green tomatoes
2 sweet red peppers
2 lg onions
1/4 cup salt
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard, 1 tsp dry turmeric,1tsp celery seed
Chop the cabbage, tomatoes, peppers and onions. Mix with salt and let stand overnight. Next morning drain well make sure all liquid is removed. Boil vinegar, water, sugar, and spices 5 minutes. Add chopped veg. mixture. Bring to a boil and pour into sterilized jars. 1/2 inch from top of jar. Process in hot water bath 5 min. Yields 6 pints.
I use hot wax peppers instead of sweet peppers we like spicy foods, this recipe was in my mothers old Kerr canning recipe book. Hope you enjoy
Thank you so much. I'm making a print of this recipe to share with my mother. I appreciate the time you took to find the recipe then type it...The hot wax peppers that you use would give it a spicy flavor...a kick as some might say... I also like how the flavors have time to marinate overnight.

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#6572 Feb 23, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad to hear you have Molly Rose with ya:-)
Yep I have been holding her hostage for weeks lol
She's a trooper, trust me, I haven't been the greatest to be around at times. She's a true friend.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Redneckerson

Alkol, WV

#6573 Feb 23, 2013
COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you so much. I'm making a print of this recipe to share with my mother. I appreciate the time you took to find the recipe then type it...The hot wax peppers that you use would give it a spicy flavor...a kick as some might say... I also like how the flavors have time to marinate overnight.
The 'ole woman' typed it out ,it would take me all day. She said you are very welcome,but I think I created a monster she hasn't quit talking about canning ever since. I've called her 'Ole Woman' since she was 17 She tells everyone if I called anything else ,she would think I was cheating on her. My Grand-ma would get furious when she heard me call her that, until She realized what was goin on.

Location hidden

#6574 Feb 23, 2013
Redneckerson wrote:
<quoted text>It's funny how the tastes of food changes when canned. She has canned her whole life, something strange she makes is watermelon rind pickles. She saves the rind and makes them taste exactly like bread and butter pickles.
The watermelon rind pickles sounds good too. My mom has canned my whole life and my favorite food she cans are 2 things. I love her Rhubarb and Strawberry Jam and her Bread and Butter Pickles. My grandmother used to make a sauce that she canned made out of tomatoes, zucchinis,onions, dill weed, and other ingredients to put over fried Kielbasa. To me, opening up a jar of canned food and using it has so much more flavor than compared to the can food bought in a grocery store.

Location hidden

#6575 Feb 23, 2013
Redneckerson wrote:
<quoted text>The 'ole woman' typed it out ,it would take me all day. She said you are very welcome,but I think I created a monster she hasn't quit talking about canning ever since. I've called her 'Ole Woman' since she was 17 She tells everyone if I called anything else ,she would think I was cheating on her. My Grand-ma would get furious when she heard me call her that, until She realized what was goin on.
Thank you, Mrs. Redneckerson for the recipe. I love to cook.

Location hidden

#6576 Feb 23, 2013
-Lily- wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep I have been holding her hostage for weeks lol
She's a trooper, trust me, I haven't been the greatest to be around at times. She's a true friend.
Have a wonderful weekend!
That was who was trying to send me a SOS.:D
Redneckerson

Alkol, WV

#6577 Feb 23, 2013
COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>The watermelon rind pickles sounds good too. My mom has canned my whole life and my favorite food she cans are 2 things. I love her Rhubarb and Strawberry Jam and her Bread and Butter Pickles. My grandmother used to make a sauce that she canned made out of tomatoes, zucchinis,onions, dill weed, and other ingredients to put over fried Kielbasa. To me, opening up a jar of canned food and using it has so much more flavor than compared to the can food bought in a grocery store.
I agee, The ole woman keeps her rhubarb planted in her flower garden arond the house, this keeps the deer from it and keeps it a little warmer she mulches it in the fall,and it has been coming back for yrs. I like it raw dipped in salt ,sour but so good.

Location hidden

#6578 Feb 23, 2013
Redneckerson wrote:
<quoted text>I agee, The ole woman keeps her rhubarb planted in her flower garden arond the house, this keeps the deer from it and keeps it a little warmer she mulches it in the fall,and it has been coming back for yrs. I like it raw dipped in salt ,sour but so good.
I have a deer problem too eating flowers and food plants. I've even had a deer eat my roses one year. My neighbors use a spray to keep the deer away, but I don't like all those chemicals in on my food or soaking in the ground. We have well water and it is really good. It was so good that the man that lived here before I bought this place made moonshine using the water. I found the still in my basement and had some guys stop by and ask for the man. Never a dull moment at this place.:D
Redneckerson

Alkol, WV

#6579 Feb 23, 2013
COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>I have a deer problem too eating flowers and food plants. I've even had a deer eat my roses one year. My neighbors use a spray to keep the deer away, but I don't like all those chemicals in on my food or soaking in the ground. We have well water and it is really good. It was so good that the man that lived here before I bought this place made moonshine using the water. I found the still in my basement and had some guys stop by and ask for the man. Never a dull moment at this place.:D
There's a natural spray that uses,I'm not even going to try to spell the word it starts with a c, it's the stuff that makes hot peppers hot ,they use it in bear reppellant, that claims if you spray it on your plants will deter deer. I've never used it, I figure the deer around here prob. like spicey food and will just keep coming back for more.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#6580 Feb 23, 2013
COOTERDOG wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning Weepy. I like my eggs scrambled with potatoes, onions, and a little hot sauce added for flavor. What is your favorite way to eat eggs? Scrambled, poached, over easy, etc...
My day was nice, CD. I like over easy eggs and toast and jelly.

“Of Course I Can”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#6581 Feb 23, 2013
Redneckerson wrote:
<quoted text>There's a natural spray that uses,I'm not even going to try to spell the word it starts with a c, it's the stuff that makes hot peppers hot ,they use it in bear reppellant, that claims if you spray it on your plants will deter deer. I've never used it, I figure the deer around here prob. like spicey food and will just keep coming back for more.
Capsaicin.

You can also pour cows blood on the ground around your plants to keep deer away.

Or you can just pee on them because the scent in urine lets them know that there's a meat eater around and the will avoid them.

Of course I don'r recommend peeing on them if you live in town. Neighbors might not like that.

;)

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#6582 Feb 23, 2013
Well wouldn't you know it, I slide into town when someone mentions blood and pee. I can't get away from work even at home or on topix. Hehe.(nurse) I thought we were supposed to use ivory soap in panty hose hung around the plants. That won't get ya a ticket for indencent exposure.:) Of course any "male" would rather sprinkle blood or pee on it for good measure.

“Of Course I Can”

Location hidden

#6583 Feb 23, 2013
Crooked Halo wrote:
Well wouldn't you know it, I slide into town when someone mentions blood and pee. I can't get away from work even at home or on topix. Hehe.(nurse) I thought we were supposed to use ivory soap in panty hose hung around the plants. That won't get ya a ticket for indencent exposure.:) Of course any "male" would rather sprinkle blood or pee on it for good measure.
Hey there Lady! How are you doing?

Guys will just pee on nearly anything whether it needs to be peed on or not.

;)

#6584 Feb 23, 2013
Sundog512 wrote:
<quoted text>
;)
Boy, ain't that the truth......lol!!!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#6585 Feb 23, 2013
Sundog512 wrote:
<quoted text>
;)
I know I live with one.(guy that is) Howdy back.

“Of Course I Can”

Location hidden

#6586 Feb 23, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy, ain't that the truth......lol!!!
That was the best thing about living out in the country. I miss that freedom....LOL.

“Of Course I Can”

Location hidden

#6587 Feb 23, 2013
Crooked Halo wrote:
<quoted text>
I know I live with one.(guy that is) Howdy back.
;)

Hope you are well.

#6588 Feb 23, 2013
Sundog512 wrote:
<quoted text>
That was the best thing about living out in the country. I miss that freedom....LOL.
Somehow that doesn't surprise me, but then little does these days.......hugs to you:-)

“Of Course I Can”

Location hidden

#6589 Feb 23, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Somehow that doesn't surprise me, but then little does these days.......hugs to you:-)
Hugs to you too, NCN.

Hope you are well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thorpe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BOLD and TRYING (Mar '11) 2 min Sundog512 15,030
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 1 hr Melissa 4,198
The Welch Bar 2 hr FSM 2
Wicca Is Witchcraft (Mar '11) 6 hr FSM 44,217
The Welch Hangout (Jan '13) Sat purplelady1040 40,228
Favorite songs (Feb '13) Fri Prince Charming 1,082
Will kimball walmart close? (Jun '15) Thu The truth 48

Thorpe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance