unsure

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

i havent heard but i have heard before about them trying to adopt the year round system. which would let them go 3 months, then off a month, another 3 months of school then off a month. would work well in months that the weather is terrible, and also for some of those middle-high schoolers that hate going back because they got so used to the summer off. also with better test scores i'd think because not as much time inbetween the school years, when kids dont get any learning in
As I see it

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

unsure wrote:
i havent heard but i have heard before about them trying to adopt the year round system. which would let them go 3 months, then off a month, another 3 months of school then off a month. would work well in months that the weather is terrible, and also for some of those middle-high schoolers that hate going back because they got so used to the summer off. also with better test scores i'd think because not as much time inbetween the school years, when kids dont get any learning in
WE can't keep a descant teacher now.Our pay is the lowest around. People not from here do not want to come here.Summers off is the only advantage for school staff.Summer vacation will be messed up.
Our children are going to school more now than they ever have in History,learning less.If you know something you will not forget it in 2 months.School are no longer a safe place for our children Parents that do not want the responsibility of raising their own children would love for them to have year around school and more than likely have school Saturday & Sunday while you are at it.
unsure

Northfork, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

As I see it wrote:
<quoted text>
WE can't keep a descant teacher now.Our pay is the lowest around. People not from here do not want to come here.Summers off is the only advantage for school staff.Summer vacation will be messed up.
Our children are going to school more now than they ever have in History,learning less.If you know something you will not forget it in 2 months.School are no longer a safe place for our children Parents that do not want the responsibility of raising their own children would love for them to have year around school and more than likely have school Saturday & Sunday while you are at it.
only said that this system has worked well in other places. it doesnt mean it will work well here, but it does other places. i do not have kids, but agree that the parents should not want more school so that they have to take care of their kids less. it could work here, it may not. i personally do not care if they get it or not as i don't have kids, was just saying that i had heard before they were trying to get this system in. this system WOULD work well here if there were better teachers. it wouldnt mess up summer vacation because most people do not leave for the whole 3 months of summer vacation. it would work well for when there are bad winter months. it has its pros and cons, just like everything. and some of these kids that you say are neglected by their parents and so thats why parents want more school.. then perhaps they would be better off in school, rather than being neglected at home. personally, if it were me i'd fire every teacher in the county and hire new ones.. if they still are as bad as when i was in school. i graduated in '01 and most of the teachers didnt teach us anything. just had us copy stuff off of a chalkboard and expected us to know it after copying.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS ”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Judged:

WHEN MY CHILDREN WENT TO SCHOOL IN NC IT WAS YEAR ROUND. THESE KINDA SCHOOL YEARS ARE GREAT FOR KIDS WITH LEARNING DISABILITIES BEING MY OLDEST SON HAS ADHD AND HE WOULD RETAIN MORE ON A 9 WEEK ON 3 WEEK OFF SCHEDULE. MOST OF THE 3 WEEKS OFF DO COME AROUND THE HOLIDAYS , GIVE OR TAKE A FEW WITHIN THE 9 WEEK WHEN THEY ARE THERE AT SCHOOL AS WELL THEY WILL HAVE THOSE HOLIDAYS OFF AS WELL IF IT FALLS IN THE 9 WEEKS THEY ARE THERE. THE YEAR ROUND SCHOOL IS GREAT FOR TEACHING THE KIDS AND PREPARES THEM FOR A JOB WHEN THEY GET OLDER CAUSE THEY WILL HAVE TO GO TO IT EVERY DAY FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. WHEN MY DAUGHTER FIRST STARTED SCHOOL HERE IN THE 8TH GRADE SHE WAS WELL BEYOND THE SCHOOL WHAT THEY WERE TEACHING HERE CAUSE SHE WAS IN A ADVANCE SCHOOL IN NC . SHE HAD ALREADY TAKEN ALGEBRA IN THE 7TH GRADE. THEY HAD NOTHING FOR HER ADVANCE WISE UNTIL SHE HIT THE 10TH GRADE IN MT VIEW. SO SHE WAS BORED. NOW SHE IS ABOUT TO GRADUATE. SHE WAS AHEAD OF EVERYONE IN THE CLASS AND NOW ONLY GOES TO THE MORNING VOC CLASS . SHE HAS ALREADY PASSED ALL THE TEST WITH A COLLEGE LEVEL. I HOPE THE KIDS HERE GET THE OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN IN THIS WAY AND GET THE BETTER COURSES TO TEACH THEM WHAT THEY WILL NEED IN LIFE. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO SAY YOU DONT NEED ALGEBRA, GO INTO THE FIELD OF NURSING AND YOU WILL SEE YOU DO. YOU HAVE TO CONVERT THE BODY WEIGHT OF THE PERSON WITH THE AMOUNT OF MEDS THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO GET WITH HOW OLD THEY ARE AND SO ON.
mana

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

As I see it wrote:
<quoted text>
Parents that do not want the responsibility of raising their own children would love for them to have year around school and more than likely have school Saturday & Sunday while you are at it.
BBOOOOMM!!!!!!!
Earl

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Judged:

mana wrote:
<quoted text>
BBOOOOMM!!!!!!!
Hell, I think the little crum snatchers should have school 18 hrs a day. They would be better off at school than with their dumb assed parents.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Earl wrote:
<quoted text>Hell, I think the little crum snatchers should have school 18 hrs a day. They would be better off at school than with their dumb assed parents.
Earl, don't be thinking. You have never had enough brain power for that. You tell them all about it, since you are the "King of Dumb A$$es!" Everyone is still waiting on you to take your trip to Alaska.
sure

Bluefield, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

unsure wrote:
<quoted text>
only said that this system has worked well in other places. it doesnt mean it will work well here, but it does other places. i do not have kids, but agree that the parents should not want more school so that they have to take care of their kids less. it could work here, it may not. i personally do not care if they get it or not as i don't have kids, was just saying that i had heard before they were trying to get this system in. this system WOULD work well here if there were better teachers. it wouldnt mess up summer vacation because most people do not leave for the whole 3 months of summer vacation. it would work well for when there are bad winter months. it has its pros and cons, just like everything. and some of these kids that you say are neglected by their parents and so thats why parents want more school.. then perhaps they would be better off in school, rather than being neglected at home. personally, if it were me i'd fire every teacher in the county and hire new ones.. if they still are as bad as when i was in school. i graduated in '01 and most of the teachers didnt teach us anything. just had us copy stuff off of a chalkboard and expected us to know it after copying.
please find some to hire, as you do the firing, and do the math 180 days is 180 days, no where is it written that school has to be closed july and august.
WV Parent

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

The question to ask is what is best for the students? Not teachers, not adults but for the kids. Students never make 180 days due to snow and other things that take place, plus student attendance. Most students, even the really good ones miss 3-5 days a year if not more. We can't keep this old system that was designed when the country was more agricultural in nature. If your not in school, you can't learn.
July

Clay, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

concerened wrote:
rumor is that school will be starting in early july no break for kids
If you went all year you still wouldn't learn to spell correctly.

july is spelled with a capital J
gary mayor

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

this is up to superentendent you have no say or vote july here we come
i know

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

Judged:

people in the office have been talking its comming no matter what
a parent

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

i dont hink they are gonna do school year round yet i heard teachers voted against it but they are gonna try again most likely.but the way it would work iwas told go 3 months out for 2 weeks go 3 months
Home Teaching

Clay, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2013

It's NOT true!
its true

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

it is true and teachers have no vote this year
Really

North Tazewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Is the school board going to pay for vacations that have already been paid for for the summer? People vacation during the summer and most book them long before summer!
its true

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

Really wrote:
Is the school board going to pay for vacations that have already been paid for for the summer? People vacation during the summer and most book them long before summer!
the super does not care he is supported on this
WV Parent

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

I have not heard one comment about how it is good or bad for kids, all I have heard is how it is bad for the adults.

“HobertC The1Great AwesomeOne ”

Since: Apr 08

Welch WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Judged:

It don't matter when school starts or ends, or how many weeks the kids goes or how many days they get off of school... It will still be the same teaching and learning..... The teacher only can teach so much till either the child gets or installed with what being taught, or don't get or learn what being taught...

Myself I would rather see the traditional school year kept, it offer more time for all the students, the parents, the teachers and educators... But who am I to say it a good or bad thing..

So with that here some cons to the issue..
-Students who have difficulty with attention, either due to disability or because young elementary students are not developmentally ready to attend for longer periods of time are unlikely to get more out of a longer school day. This, too, may increase the amount of behavioral issues in the classroom.
-Budgets and staffing issues simply may not allow for extended school programs. Many schools already struggle to pay teachers a competitive wage, making it hard to keep high quality teachers. The cost of teaching as a full-time endeavor may not be feasible either locally or federally.
-Students in year round school may miss out on opportunities to spend time with children of other ages and/or learn about nature as typical summer camp experiences may no longer be a part of the childhood experience.

Some pros as well...
-Vacation time can be more evenly distributed throughout the year, making it easier to schedule family vacations and giving students opportunity to regenerate more frequently. This may cut down on the need to re-teach skills after long vacations, allowing teachers to use classroom time more efficiently.
-Families who struggle to find childcare or pay childcare expenses will benefit from such programs as will children who are in sub-par childcare during summer vacation or afterschool.
-Remediation needs can be addressed during the school year as opposed to during summer programs, possibly decreasing retention rates and decreasing the need to include summer school in local budgets.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Thorpe Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Thorpe Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Thorpe People Search