Professor harassed student, Ohio University says | The Columbus Dispatch

A professor at Ohio University's Lancaster campus sexually harassed a student when he presented her with gifts that included a $600 diamond ring, according to an OU investigation. Full Story
Bruno Kirby

Mount Liberty, OH

#1 Feb 8, 2011
Very creepy!
Dave

Columbus, OH

#2 Feb 8, 2011
He went to Jarad
Stuck in the Stone Age

Greenville, GA

#3 Feb 8, 2011
A old dude named Regis coupled with a hotyoungthing = gives me the creeps, again.

Joking aside, it can't take much time to remind graduate students, instructors, professors, and administrators that the undergraduate students are not there for them to prey upon. They need to instead provide the role models for how to act by behaving with maturity, integrity, and professionalism.
watcher

Sarasota, FL

#4 Feb 8, 2011
Geez how stupid. Fire the geezer, he is a pervert!
Student

Columbus, OH

#5 Feb 8, 2011
Does he also teach at Franklin U?
OSU Fan

Columbus, OH

#6 Feb 8, 2011
She went for milkshakes unwillingly and declined his gifts? The little trick probably lead him on then got a bad grade, all of a sudden he sexually harassing her.
Pryors Tattoo

Lexington, KY

#7 Feb 8, 2011
Only harrassment b/c he was her teacher. Would this have been harrassment outside of academia? Slippery slope...
Skeptic

Hilliard, OH

#8 Feb 8, 2011
So, is this guy also being charged with kidnapping? If not, it would appear that the student went with him willingly for milkshakes, a drive, and wound up at home in his bedroom. No wonder he thought she was interested. I suspect there's more to this story and situation...
Unfair

Hilliard, OH

#9 Feb 8, 2011
Of course, only his name appears in the story. Guilty until proven innocent.
Bewildered

Newark, OH

#10 Feb 8, 2011
Wow, a marriage proposal is sexual harassment?
carrot top

Athens, OH

#11 Feb 8, 2011
I knew this professor and it is a crying shame that he was done dirty like this. Maybe the news should have all the facts before they ruin this man's life. He was an excellent professor. Not only did this "girl" and thats what she is a little girl, ruin his life, but also complicated other students lives and they are the one's left to pick up the pieces in order to try and graduate on time.
Whatever

Columbus, OH

#12 Feb 8, 2011
carrot top wrote:
I knew this professor and it is a crying shame that he was done dirty like this. Maybe the news should have all the facts before they ruin this man's life. He was an excellent professor. Not only did this "girl" and thats what she is a little girl, ruin his life, but also complicated other students lives and they are the one's left to pick up the pieces in order to try and graduate on time.
The professor may indeed be a great guy. But he is a fool to EVER get involved with a student. He knew the risks and decided to proceed anyway. So either he is the biggest idiot on campus or else he is the unluckiest. Either way, he only has himself to blame.
carrot top

Athens, OH

#13 Feb 8, 2011
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
The professor may indeed be a great guy. But he is a fool to EVER get involved with a student. He knew the risks and decided to proceed anyway. So either he is the biggest idiot on campus or else he is the unluckiest. Either way, he only has himself to blame.
That was a very ignorant comment about him being the "biggest idiot on campus!" You have no idea who this person was and you do not know all the facts! So maybe next time you have a thought just let it go!
Reader

Columbus, OH

#14 Feb 8, 2011
Pryors Tattoo wrote:
Only harrassment b/c he was her teacher. Would this have been harrassment outside of academia? Slippery slope...
Harassment implies a power differential--such as a professor and student.
crank

Chillicothe, OH

#15 Feb 8, 2011
He may be a perv, but I think she and the University has a weak case.
If these are all of the facts, how can they fire this guy?
julie barnes

Newark, OH

#16 Feb 8, 2011
I am an Ohio University lancaster student and also a recent student of Mr. norowski. I have been a student at Ohio University for 3 and a half years and not once have I found a professor that motivated me as much as Mr. Norowski. He was always more than appropriate in the class room and outside meetings. I always felt that he genuinly cared about my education...nothing more. i almost cried the day I found out he wasnt coming back. Now thanks to some addolescent, ignorant milkshake drinking freshman, I've lost my "Mr. Feeny." Obvioulsy, she is stretching the truth here a little bit. SHe wasn't forced to do anything. In my opinion, i read the story and think, someone was clearly looking for a better grade. Sorry that's not how college works chica. an old wise man once said, it's not rape if theyre giggling.
Kman

Athens, OH

#17 Feb 8, 2011
Milkshakes, hugs, gifts, and rides. I have taught beautiful young women, and had to be vigilant to never give them the impression I was interested, and had to avoid being alone with them. However, if a woman the age of consent repeatedly allows herself to be alone with any man who expresses himself with little gifts - is encouraging the development of the man's feelings, and she knows it. They are both in the wrong. If he loses his job, she should be expelled. Though what has occurred here is too mild to require either. Our culture is crazy and over-reactive.
Whatever

Columbus, OH

#18 Feb 8, 2011
carrot top wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a very ignorant comment about him being the "biggest idiot on campus!" You have no idea who this person was and you do not know all the facts! So maybe next time you have a thought just let it go!
No... ignorant is getting involved with a student. I stand by my comments and I don't intend to let them go. Perhaps it is your closeness to the situation that is clouding your judgment. If you didn't know the professor and feel so much sympath for him you might actually agree with me.
Norowski Former Student

Lancaster, OH

#19 Feb 9, 2011
I some how find this girls stories full of holes. I had "Regis" for 3 different classes. He was not the type of guy that is being described. I might have believed he "hit on" and older female student but not this young girl. He wasn't a perv or a geezer.
I am 40+ years old and a female. I am a pretty good judge of character and Regis in my opinion was likely a victim of a young girl wanting a good grade at any cost. I don't know I wasn't there, but my good sense smells a rat. He was a in general nice guy. I don't think he would have put his job on the line for an 18 year old girl. He was a pretty "wise" and mature guy, and I don't believe for a minute he would have even considered this girl would want a relationship with him.
I think the more likely scenario was, she was failing the class or felt slighted and she made false allegations against him to save her own hide. I could be wrong, and I am sorry if I have mis-judged this girl. OUL did however lose one a the few good professors they had.
Norowski Former Student

Lancaster, OH

#20 Feb 9, 2011
I forgot too mention another thing. Regis was very against "fast food" and felt this country has serious issues with bad diets (those are the type of classes he taught). I find it hard to believe he would be taking someone out for a milkshake.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thornville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cmi waste Dec '14 Atv 1
Dollar General Oct '14 12355trg 1
North Bank ? What is going on? Oct '14 Shirknit 1
gathering of the juggalos (Jul '14) Jul '14 gutter ray 3
Ex-pastor gets 6 years in sex case | The Columb... (Feb '11) Jul '14 Who Knows 24
PetPlex Animal Hospital (Sep '13) Jul '14 Aaron D 2
Private boat dock rental (Jun '14) Jun '14 Tristan 1
Thornville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Thornville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:43 am PST

NFL 8:43AM