Perry County toddler dies after rescu...

Perry County toddler dies after rescue from pool | The Columbus Dis...

There are 13 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jun 17, 2010, titled Perry County toddler dies after rescue from pool | The Columbus Dis.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

A 14-month-old Perry County boy died at Nationwide Children's Hospital on Monday, after being pulled from a pool on Sunday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

vern1581

Coshocton, OH

#1 Jun 17, 2010
why is such a young child near a pool with no parents around ???
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#2 Jun 17, 2010
vern1581 wrote:
why is such a young child near a pool with no parents around ???
Maybe there was something good on TV?
dallas

Delaware, OH

#3 Jun 17, 2010
Our deepest sympathy to the family. Why do people always need to blame someone without knowing the facts. Accidents do happen.
friend of family

Reynoldsburg, OH

#4 Jun 17, 2010
You have no idea what happened here. You have no idea the guilt and grief the family is going through. You should be praying for them to get through this. Hug your children and remember horrible things can happen in a matter of seconds.
SVC

Toledo, OH

#5 Jun 17, 2010
I love the judgmental comments. It's funny because just about every parent I know has some horror story about a close call involving a baby. In fact, most parents I know have a "brush with death" story for each of their children.

That doesn't mean they're irresponsible, babies and toddlers love to explore. In a few seconds they can crawl or waddled out of sight and into trouble. 99.9% of the time the result is just a terrible fright but sometimes bad things happen.

Anybody who tells you that they've never taken their eyes of their baby for even a second is a bald-faced liar.
Anonymous

Lima, OH

#6 Jun 17, 2010
Where were his parents(or a responsible adult)? This is the sad result of negligence. No 14 month old should be without supervision, especially one that is in the proximity of a swimming pool. Although these parents must be in grief; I feel pity only for the child. These people neglected to supervise this child and it resulted in his death. Sadness is not punishment enough for the adults responsible (or irresponsible) for Baby Lucas.
Crabby Appleton

Carlsbad, CA

#7 Jun 17, 2010
That is just tragic and heartbreaking. Very sorry for these people.
Really

Columbus, OH

#8 Jun 17, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
Where were his parents(or a responsible adult)? This is the sad result of negligence. No 14 month old should be without supervision, especially one that is in the proximity of a swimming pool. Although these parents must be in grief; I feel pity only for the child. These people neglected to supervise this child and it resulted in his death. Sadness is not punishment enough for the adults responsible (or irresponsible) for Baby Lucas.
Didn't realize you were there to confirm there was negligence and lack of supervision. Please give us the real story.
nikkia

United States

#9 Jun 17, 2010
if that is your child? why was he still in the pool when medics arrived?
Anonymous

Lima, OH

#10 Jun 17, 2010
Really---
The only way the 14 month old could have drowned is if somebody wasn't aware that the child was at the pool or if they were not within grabbing distance while knowing the child was in the pool. I call that negligence and poor supervision. Sorry all you people have a different standard for what supervision should be with a child that is just over a year old. How could this happen if eyes were on this child?! Your answer---It would NOT have happened. It was a pool, a contained body of water; not an ocean with rip currents or a swollen rushing river. No one was attentive with the toddler. You can all feel sorry for the parents. I will feel sorry for the child whose life was cut short. People have no sense of justice anymore. People are watered down. Accountability must exist in this! Whether it was a baby-sitter, the parents, etc. somebody was not taking care with this child and that much is obvious based on the fatal end result.
Anonymous

Lima, OH

#11 Jun 17, 2010
I agree full heartedly as well, Nikkia.
Nanny State Losers

Columbus, OH

#12 Jun 17, 2010
I cannot imagine losing my toddler son. I started him on swimming lessons at nine months with the hope he would learn to float on his back if he was even in the water by accident. I dont know if he would have survived a fall in the water at 14 months, but he would now at 28 months.

As stated above, every parent has a "brush with death" story for their toddlers - visitors to the house who do not have baby radar and leaves a gate or door open, phone rings, something in the oven catches fire, some other unusual distraction, etc.

The facts will come out, but the parents or guardian will be punished the rest of their life for this, regardless of the criminal punishment.
Really

Columbus, OH

#13 Jun 18, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
Really---
The only way the 14 month old could have drowned is if somebody wasn't aware that the child was at the pool or if they were not within grabbing distance while knowing the child was in the pool. I call that negligence and poor supervision. Sorry all you people have a different standard for what supervision should be with a child that is just over a year old. How could this happen if eyes were on this child?! Your answer---It would NOT have happened. It was a pool, a contained body of water; not an ocean with rip currents or a swollen rushing river. No one was attentive with the toddler. You can all feel sorry for the parents. I will feel sorry for the child whose life was cut short. People have no sense of justice anymore. People are watered down. Accountability must exist in this! Whether it was a baby-sitter, the parents, etc. somebody was not taking care with this child and that much is obvious based on the fatal end result.
And if negligence and lack of supervision are *proven* in a court of law, then that is the standard for what the supervision should have been. They very well could have been negligent, but it will have to be proven. Anyone who believes that it is possible to absolutely keep any child in sight every single second, either does not have children, or does not have a firm grasp on reality. Why feel sorry for the child? The child is dead, seems like wasted sympathy. I guess we should just shrug and say "well, those parents got what they deserved for being <allegedly> negligent, so who cares how they feel." In fact, lets call them and tell them what bad parents we think they are, just in case they aren't telling themselves that very same thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thornville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ex-pastor gets 6 years in sex case | The Columb... (Feb '11) Jul '17 Knowitall 33
News Buckeye Lake sees strong resurgence amid July 4... (Jul '17) Jul '17 Do whatever it ta... 1
Rebecca Lynn Boyer (May '17) May '17 Snitch 1
Dorothy W...and Delma Rogers 1949 (Feb '17) Feb '17 Charles H 1
News Dream Team to take on Harlem Wizards in basketball (Nov '09) Jan '17 themoonvilletunnel 2
Possible pedophile? (Sep '16) Sep '16 Maria 1
News Weekend of festivals, AC/DC offers range of mus... (Sep '16) Sep '16 d pants 2

Thornville Jobs

Personal Finance

Thornville Mortgages