Ohio.com - Akron becomes less of an a...

Ohio.com - Akron becomes less of an asphalt jungle

There are 17 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Oct 6, 2007, titled Ohio.com - Akron becomes less of an asphalt jungle. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

The crumbling, pitted, grooved and pockmarked streets of Akron aren't paved with gold; they're paved with black gold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

FTC

United States

#1 Oct 7, 2007
[quote]While it's true that road builders have other sources of asphalt, the cost to transport it may drive the cost up, making out-of-town suppliers less competitive, Barnett said.

''My worry is that it will have more of an impact as time goes on,'' Barnett said.[/quote]

--Chew on that one folks. Chew on it long and hard.

And when you're done chewing, picture a world where gas is double or even triple the cost of what it is now. You think $2.75 per gallon at $80 a barrel is expensive? Try $5.00 per gallon at $160 a barrel. Or even $7.50 per gallon at $240 a barrel.

Am I kidding? Don't you wish. These prices and all of the fun you can expect along with them are much closer than you probably want to face. And when they do arrive, you'll be lucky if Market and Exchange Streets get paved. But then again, roads getting paved at all will probably be the least of your worries.

The era of plenty is over. Now here comes scarcity. Oh, my fellow Americans, you are so not ready. Not even close.
FTC

United States

#2 Oct 7, 2007
I must add that this will probably be a major factor in the consolidation and regionalization of government, here in NE Ohio and elsewhere. 850 distinct municipalities and townships here in Northeast Ohio alone are on the verge of no longer having the resources to remain functional in a meaningful way. A regional government, however, can pool all of their individual resources together and use them appropriately and much more efficiently.

That's not being sentimental. That's being practical. And what's practical is about to matter a whole hell of a lot more here and pretty much everywhere in the coming months and years.
OldManGrump

Canton, OH

#4 Oct 7, 2007
FTC wrote:
I must add that this will probably be a major factor in the consolidation and regionalization of government, here in NE Ohio and elsewhere. 850 distinct municipalities and townships here in Northeast Ohio alone are on the verge of no longer having the resources to remain functional in a meaningful way. A regional government, however, can pool all of their individual resources together and use them appropriately and much more efficiently.
That's not being sentimental. That's being practical. And what's practical is about to matter a whole hell of a lot more here and pretty much everywhere in the coming months and years.
NO REGIONALIZATION OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT !!!

It's only intent is too tax the hell out of the Burbs to pay for the short falls of the loser cities. My streets in Tallmadge are fine thank you. The Mayor Grimm & the city street department does a nice job keeping them in good condition with the tax dollars they receive. If those tax dollars had to be shared with Mistake on the Lake Cleveland, Rusty Steel City Youngstown, or No Longer the Rubber City Akron, that would not be the case. Everybody's streets would suffer like those cities' streets do today.

May I repeat:

ROFL Here

Brook Park, OH

#6 Oct 7, 2007
FTC wrote:
You sir are what we here in America call an idiot.
Beacon Urinal

Ashtabula, OH

#7 Oct 7, 2007
OldManGrump wrote:
<quoted text>
It's only intent is too tax the hell out of the Burbs to pay for the short falls of the loser cities. My streets in Tallmadge are fine thank you. The Mayor Grimm & the city street department does a nice job keeping them in good condition with the tax dollars they receive. If those tax dollars had to be shared with Mistake on the Lake Cleveland, Rusty Steel City Youngstown, or No Longer the Rubber City Akron, that would not be the case. Everybody's streets would suffer like those cities' streets do today.
May I repeat:
Keep your opinion in Tallmadge Old Man! And while your at it go crawl under a rock and die!
Free Markets Work

Brook Park, OH

#8 Oct 7, 2007
All the complaints about loss of competition due to consolidation are typical liberal whines none of which is supported by anecdotal evidence.

I'm so glad I'm NOT a liberal.
Your Worst Nightmare

Brook Park, OH

#9 Oct 7, 2007
Beacon Urinal wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep your opinion in Tallmadge Old Man! And while your at it go crawl under a rock and die!
Here we have another tolerant liberal and his "live and let live" style post.
DrGonzo

Canton, OH

#10 Oct 7, 2007
It probably doesn't help to pay guys $25 an hour to lean on their shovels
Old Man Grump

Canton, OH

#12 Oct 7, 2007
Beacon Urinal wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you Flush yourself Beacon Urinal?
George N

Fountain Inn, SC

#13 Oct 7, 2007
Drunk as a Skunk wrote:
Bring back the Brick pavers--plenty of clay in Ohio. The pavers hold up a lot better, are less dirty, and look great.
I am perplexed, however! Our Mayor can blow money all over Akron and the "global marketplace," yet he can't fix the streets--help me understand Mr. Williamson.
As a former Akron resident, I remember when I first staring driving some 50 years ago, there were many brick streets still in existence. The were awful when wet, downright deadly in freezing rain or snow, but lots of fun in warm sunny wheather, since our underpowered old jalopies could "peel rubber" so easily on them. Paving bricks? You should say "thanks, but no thanks"
Beacon Urinal

Ashtabula, OH

#15 Oct 7, 2007
Old Man Grump wrote:
<quoted text>Do you Flush yourself Beacon Urinal?
You think you have the answers to everything. But your just an Old Fart that sits around and whines about everything in Akron. Your opinion sucks and noboby cares
enough people

Akron, OH

#16 Oct 7, 2007
I just can't help but wonder what would happen to our economy if it weren't bleeding billions to pay for an unnecessary war. Just wondering what we could do with all that money? Just sayin...
Never Again

Stow, OH

#17 Oct 7, 2007
Regionalism can work in some ways where the city's can mutually benefit. What most people here worry about is a coercive regional government like they have in Portland that is an unelected dictatorship always favoring Portland and restricting developments in the suburbs. The first step towards regionalism is removing the charter government. Just another job or another politician.
No Comment

Strongsville, OH

#18 Oct 7, 2007
Old Man Grump wrote:
<quoted text>Do you Flush yourself Beacon Urinal?
Post No Grump
No Comment

Strongsville, OH

#19 Oct 7, 2007
OldManGrump wrote:
<quoted text>
May I repeat:
Post No Grump
The Beacon Stinks

United States

#20 Oct 7, 2007
Drunk as a Skunk wrote:
Bring back the Brick pavers--plenty of clay in Ohio. The pavers hold up a lot better, are less dirty, and look great.
I am perplexed, however! Our Mayor can blow money all over Akron and the "global marketplace," yet he can't fix the streets--help me understand Mr. Williamson.
Because he knows that no matter how bad he screws over the people of Akron, they are so stupid that they'll just keep re-electing him like clockwork. Corrupt mayors like Don Plusquellic thrive on the stupidity of the voters.
time for change

Medina, OH

#21 Oct 7, 2007
Akron needs to look at putting more concrete pavement in. Asphalt is no longer the most economical approach and life cycles of concrete pavement out weigh asphalt at least three fold before resurfaceing or replacement have to take place

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thornville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ex-pastor gets 6 years in sex case | The Columb... (Feb '11) Jul '17 Knowitall 33
News Buckeye Lake sees strong resurgence amid July 4... (Jul '17) Jul '17 Do whatever it ta... 1
Rebecca Lynn Boyer (May '17) May '17 Snitch 1
Dorothy W...and Delma Rogers 1949 (Feb '17) Feb '17 Charles H 1
News Dream Team to take on Harlem Wizards in basketball (Nov '09) Jan '17 themoonvilletunnel 2
Possible pedophile? (Sep '16) Sep '16 Maria 1
News Weekend of festivals, AC/DC offers range of mus... (Sep '16) Sep '16 d pants 2

Thornville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Thornville Mortgages