Hendricks, Hamilton lead in area 'best buy' schools

There are 9 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Dec 12, 2007, titled Hendricks, Hamilton lead in area 'best buy' schools. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Hamilton and Hendricks counties lead the region with five high schools making the Indiana Chamber of Commerce's Best Buys list by offering the highest levels of academic achievement for the lowest amount of tax ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
IndyTom

United States

#46 Dec 12, 2007
It would have been easier just to tell people not to attend an IPS school if they could help it.
noblesville resident

Lexington, KY

#47 Dec 12, 2007
Comedy Routine wrote:
Please don't be fooled by this article. HSE schools may have nice decorations and highly paid administratiors and teachers but our school district has many problems and our property taxes and all the other taxes are about to soar in 2008.
Do not judge a book by its cover. Transportation routes are always clogged whether Allisonville or I-69. Prices of homes are spiraling downward and prices for gas and everything else is going up.
Ditto for Noblesville Schools.
Hospital girl

Avon, IN

#48 Dec 14, 2007
That's why you move on out west to Hendricks County! I am glad that I live in a small school district! Go TW!!!
Hold the Phone

United States

#49 Dec 15, 2007
Mom wrote:
The best buy for taxpayer money is the private schools where the taxpayers money is zero
Yes, they don't take tax money - they also refuse to take special education students, poor students (unless they can shoot a ball), disabled students, orphaned students, etc.... The idea of competition and private schools "showing them how to do it" is a joke. You're comparing apples to oranges when you go down that road. Public schools attempt to serve all kids. Some do it better than others, but please, don't compare the two.
hhh

United States

#50 Dec 17, 2007
PRIVATE EDUCATION IS STILL THE BEST BUY!!!
Easterner

Wilkinson, IN

#51 Dec 17, 2007
hhh wrote:
PRIVATE EDUCATION IS STILL THE BEST BUY!!!
Very true. The education system in Indiana is a joke. And using the ISTEP as a measure of the teacher's ability to cheat only sets up a standard of cheating. I know of a child that would fail the LA portion of the ISTEP and would get "special help" from the teachers and ended up passing.

The State Department of Education needs to surprise inspect the schools. I think that would hold them more accountable.

There are too many educators that forget that the education is about the children, not their image.
Resident

Fairland, IN

#52 Dec 17, 2007
Locutus wrote:
Five out of six school districts in Hendricks County made the list. What happened to the sixth one?
The sixth one happens to be Cascade, which is not known for its grades at all. It is more known for farming and being an all around OK school. Its not that they are ALL dumb, but the other schools in the county are just that much better.
P-Town

Fairland, IN

#53 Dec 17, 2007
I am glad to see that Plainfield made the list.

For everyone who says Private schools are the best, i dont believe that they are. I used to go to a Cathiolic school for Pre K - 5th grade, and then i transfered to Plainfield, and let me tell you, i got a much better education at Plainfield then i did at this catholic school. Not only are we not paying out of the ears for me to go there, but the atmosphere at the public schools are better.

Also, to the people who like to rant about the north side, about how they think they are sooo much better then everone else, well, i have some news for you. Towns like Carmel and Noblesville are full of big headed, egotistic, ritzy fritzy people who dont care about anyone else. Schools on the west side like Brownsburg or Plainfield are just as good of schools, if not better, then any of those on the north side, and we dont have to pay out of our ears to live in the town. Plainfield has lower tax rates then 90% of the state, and still has better schools then 95% of it. I know of people who move to Plainfield from Zionsville and say how much better it is here because the taxes are lower and they think their kids are getting an all around better education. North side is not what everyone says it is, and personally, i would much rather live on the west side.
gomers pile

Indianapolis, IN

#54 Dec 18, 2007
COMO wrote:
Wow, Greenfield-Central really gettin' a slap in the face...3/4 of Hancock County made it in
Yeah, but it's well known that the "best buy" for drugs is Greenfield Central.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thorntown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
forum restaurant (Aug '13) Apr 27 concerned citizen 9
yamato in crawfordsville now hiring (Feb '14) Apr 27 concerned citzen 3
Fireworks (Jun '14) Apr 27 The Fuze 6
News More Apr 24 SpaceBlues 2
mushrooms Apr 7 cantwait 1
Club Coyote (Jun '13) Mar '15 naughtyone 4
looking for cathy knowles (Jan '10) Jan '15 JoAnn Byne 2
More from around the web

Thorntown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE