Hendricks, Hamilton lead in area 'best buy' schools

There are 49 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Dec 12, 2007, titled Hendricks, Hamilton lead in area 'best buy' schools. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Hamilton and Hendricks counties lead the region with five high schools making the Indiana Chamber of Commerce's Best Buys list by offering the highest levels of academic achievement for the lowest amount of tax ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

uh huh

Fishers, IN

#24 Dec 12, 2007
The point for me is determining where we might go OUT of Franklin Central school district. My kids are in the magnet (gifted) program and it will shortly be gutted.
COMO

Columbia, MO

#25 Dec 12, 2007
Wow, Greenfield-Central really gettin' a slap in the face...3/4 of Hancock County made it in
Don

Baltimore, MD

#26 Dec 12, 2007
Wowzers!
Jay

Lafayette, IN

#27 Dec 12, 2007
Kids from affluent 2-parent families do well in school.

Huh.

I never made the connection.
whatever

Circleville, OH

#29 Dec 12, 2007
my taxes have increased 100% since i moved to brownsburg in 2002, as have all my neighbors. so how do they figure this community to be a great buy? the schools are good but they havent come without a price.......OUTRAGOUS TAXES!!!
whatever

Circleville, OH

#30 Dec 12, 2007
ohhhh I forgot to mention two thirds of my taxes go towards Brownsburg Comm. Schools.
Bob

Indianapolis, IN

#31 Dec 12, 2007
whatever wrote:
my taxes have increased 100% since i moved to brownsburg in 2002, as have all my neighbors. so how do they figure this community to be a great buy? the schools are good but they havent come without a price.......OUTRAGOUS TAXES!!!
But at least there aren't any drive-by shootings where you live. That's worth a ton alone. Think about it.
Westside Dave

Indianapolis, IN

#32 Dec 12, 2007
Wow, whatever you must live in whereever since you say you moved to Brownsburg in 2002, yet under your post is says Indianapolis!!! Anyway, you should have checked out the taxes before you moved. Most people know that Brownsburg has the highest tax rate in Hendricks County. Which is why when I move to Hendricks County it will more than likely be in the Danville area, one of the lowest tax rates!! As for the report, it does go to show that people are tired of all the politics and taxing in Marion County and are moving to other counties.

“God Bless America”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#33 Dec 12, 2007
Mister Obvious wrote:
<quoted text>I think the intentions and purpose of this study is obvious - to look at schools that have been able to attain academic success w/o the heavy use of propery tax dollar and corrupting the local tax base. That is an interesting premise in itself. Sure, in Zionsville, they have continued to do well from an academic standpoint, but their taxes have soared, and the school has been a huge benefactor of those dollars. The average family in Carmel had to shell out more than $800 to build that football stadium. Was that prudent? HSE's scores are dropping as their enrollment continues to rise, and Lawrence North continues poorly on both fronts - scores are dropping as IPS students are infiltrating the schools as they don't want to wear uniforms (give me a break), and LNHS does nothing about it. And, the taxes in Lawrence Township continues to soar, with the largest consumer of those dollars being the schools. So, yes, I am interested to see what schools are doing well on the academic side (which is fairly easy to determine), and when taken into consideration their capital projects, rate of property tax dollars, etc. I was preparing to move my kids out of Lawrence Township schools. This study helped validate my decision.
Why don't the taxpayers demand that the Township School officials root out and identify the infiltrators? Once they catch a few and make it known that they will charge tuition or kick them out of the township Schools and prosecute the relatives who are allowing the student to use their addresses.

I seem to recall an article earlier this fall about Washington Township planning to root out these, in my opinion, liars, cheats and thieves.
Comedy Routine

Evansville, IN

#35 Dec 12, 2007
Please don't be fooled by this article. HSE schools may have nice decorations and highly paid administratiors and teachers but our school district has many problems and our property taxes and all the other taxes are about to soar in 2008.

Do not judge a book by its cover. Transportation routes are always clogged whether Allisonville or I-69. Prices of homes are spiraling downward and prices for gas and everything else is going up.
Former Lawrence tshiper

Shelbyville, IN

#36 Dec 12, 2007
Mister Obvious wrote:
<quoted text>And, the taxes in Lawrence Township continues to soar, with the largest consumer of those dollars being the schools. So, yes, I am interested to see what schools are doing well on the academic side (which is fairly easy to determine), and when taken into consideration their capital projects, rate of property tax dollars, etc. I was preparing to move my kids out of Lawrence Township schools. This study helped validate my decision.
I bailed out of Lawrence township (and MC for that matter) a couple of years ago. My old house was near the dividing line between Lawrence and Washington townships. Not only was my house valued more for tax purposes than much nicer houses on the same block (that is not just an empty assertion - my house was on the market for some time, and I know I could not sell it for what I was taxed on it for, plus I know what some of those lesser assessed houses sold for), but my rate based on the assessed value was much higher. I never seemed to be able to figure out what is what I was getting soaked for.
whatever

Circleville, OH

#37 Dec 12, 2007
Westside Dave wrote:
Wow, whatever you must live in whereever since you say you moved to Brownsburg in 2002, yet under your post is says Indianapolis!!! Anyway, you should have checked out the taxes before you moved. Most people know that Brownsburg has the highest tax rate in Hendricks County. Which is why when I move to Hendricks County it will more than likely be in the Danville area, one of the lowest tax rates!! As for the report, it does go to show that people are tired of all the politics and taxing in Marion County and are moving to other counties.
hey westside dave-
i know the taxes in brownsburg are high, i was questioning the legitimacy of the article saying "best buy' schools. so your suggestion that people are tired of the taxing in marion county and moving elsewhere is about as absurd as this study. sure i too could have moved to the arm pit of hendricks county (Danville) but i chose brownsburg. thanks for the input
Former Lawrence tshiper

Shelbyville, IN

#38 Dec 12, 2007
Westside Dave wrote:
Wow, whatever you must live in whereever since you say you moved to Brownsburg in 2002, yet under your post is says Indianapolis!!!
Hello, the city under the name relates to the ISP provider, not the poster.
Parenting is the key

Shelbyville, IN

#39 Dec 12, 2007
Jay wrote:
Kids from affluent 2-parent families do well in school.
Huh.
I never made the connection.
Affluence is not the determinative factor - it's having at least one parent who actually is a parent to the child.
LHS

Jeffersonville, IN

#40 Dec 12, 2007
All high schools in Boone county made the list!!! Great job!!!
Old Boiler

Indianapolis, IN

#41 Dec 12, 2007
Someone didn't know what the heck they were doing when they did this study. I live in the Brownsburg School District and we pay one of the highest tax rates in the State to support this over-priced school system. Besides, almost all the high schools in the suburbs are on this list. How can they be best buys when they are all on the list? There's no left to comapre with.
I smell a rat here and suspect that something is going on here. How about the Chamber buttering up to the suburb School Boards te derail the Governor's tax plan to start? Remember, neither likes the Governor's Plan to revise property taxes. Fishy, fishy, fishy!
Folks, you can trust this outfit. Nothing more than a Special Interet Group only concerned about its business interests.
Old Boiler

Indianapolis, IN

#42 Dec 12, 2007
whatever wrote:
ohhhh I forgot to mention two thirds of my taxes go towards Brownsburg Comm. Schools.
Yopu must live in the Town of Brownsburg? I live in Brown Township north of Town and 76% of my taxes go to the Brownsburg School System. Sorry, forgot you have to pay for Mike Green and Bob Waggoner's $18 million Town Hall Complex. Ain't the fiscally irresponsible Republicans in Hendricks County Great?
Apathy

Lebanon, IN

#43 Dec 12, 2007
Just Think wrote:
How much better HSE could be if the Geist rebels would just pay their share.
They pay exactly the same school tax rate as everyone else in the HSE School system. Sheez.
One of those Geist Rebels

Louisville, KY

#44 Dec 12, 2007
I have my 2007 tax bill in front of me, $5718.54 to schools which is HSE. I have no kids but pay my fair share like every other home owner in the district. I don't want to live in Fishers (not that there is anything wrong with Fishers)or I would have bought a home there. Please if you want to debate the fact that Fishers wants to increase the taxes of Geist homeowners tell me what I am using and not paying for or what I will get as a part of Fishers. Don't tell me roads, cops, fire protection, or schools I am already paying for those....so what else do you have that I need.
not always

AOL

#45 Dec 12, 2007
Especally if your child needs special services

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thorntown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kirklin Football mid 40's 21 hr James Hunter 2
Club Coyote (Jun '13) May 15 Bea 5
News Iran is reportedly coercing Afghan illegal immi... May 14 Dee Dee Dee 4
forum restaurant (Aug '13) Apr 27 concerned citizen 9
Fireworks (Jun '14) Apr 27 The Fuze 6
News More Apr 24 SpaceBlues 2
mushrooms Apr '15 cantwait 1
More from around the web

Thorntown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE