Hendricks, Hamilton lead in area 'best buy' schools

Hamilton and Hendricks counties lead the region with five high schools making the Indiana Chamber of Commerce's Best Buys list by offering the highest levels of academic achievement for the lowest amount of tax ... Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Westfield Rocks

United States

#1 Dec 12, 2007
Shamrocks representing!
Who Cares

Washington, DC

#3 Dec 12, 2007
What is the value of this study? Is it supposed to help anyone evaluate where to live? Because there is no comparison, IMHO, in the academic quality of schools like Zionsville and Western Boone or between Hamilton Southeastern and Sheridan.

So is the study supposed to shame certain high-achieving schools into lowering their per-pupil spending? No mention on the list of Carmel or Lawrence North - schools that have spent a lot on capital projects in recent years to provide adequate room and top-quality facilities for their growing student populations.

Maybe it's supposed to point out the folly of high per-pupil spending in IPS? No mention of any IPS schools on the list.

So what's really the point of this study? Perhaps the point is that the Indy Chamber should be spending money attracting and retaining good quality businesses and the jobs they provide, and they should spend less money sponsoring useless, frivolous studies such as this one.
Jamaal Tinsley

Cincinnati, OH

#4 Dec 12, 2007
where will my posse come from?
Bob

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Dec 12, 2007
IPS sucks, as usual.
builder

United States

#6 Dec 12, 2007
Who Cares wrote:
What is the value of this study? Is it supposed to help anyone evaluate where to live? Because there is no comparison, IMHO, in the academic quality of schools like Zionsville and Western Boone or between Hamilton Southeastern and Sheridan.
So is the study supposed to shame certain high-achieving schools into lowering their per-pupil spending? No mention on the list of Carmel or Lawrence North - schools that have spent a lot on capital projects in recent years to provide adequate room and top-quality facilities for their growing student populations.
Maybe it's supposed to point out the folly of high per-pupil spending in IPS? No mention of any IPS schools on the list.
So what's really the point of this study? Perhaps the point is that the Indy Chamber should be spending money attracting and retaining good quality businesses and the jobs they provide, and they should spend less money sponsoring useless, frivolous studies such as this one.
Agree 100%.
Just Think

United States

#7 Dec 12, 2007
How much better HSE could be if the Geist rebels would just pay their share.
The Burbs

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Dec 12, 2007
For all the undue criticism the suburbs like Fishers, Carmel, Noblesville, etc... get, it sure is nice to see your tax dollars hard at work. Great schools, clean, nice infrastructure, good Public Works, and it shows. The school systems alone make it worth while. So bash us all you want, its a great place to live.
The Burbs

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Dec 12, 2007
Who Cares wrote:
Relax. They are likely looking to academic results compared to dollars put in. Graduation rates, test scores, college bound students coupled with dollars applied. It is valid and as for "who cares," how about the residents of those counties and the taxpayers paying for those schools. They might care.
Mister Obvious

Fishers, IN

#10 Dec 12, 2007
Who Cares wrote:
I think the intentions and purpose of this study is obvious - to look at schools that have been able to attain academic success w/o the heavy use of propery tax dollar and corrupting the local tax base. That is an interesting premise in itself. Sure, in Zionsville, they have continued to do well from an academic standpoint, but their taxes have soared, and the school has been a huge benefactor of those dollars. The average family in Carmel had to shell out more than $800 to build that football stadium. Was that prudent? HSE's scores are dropping as their enrollment continues to rise, and Lawrence North continues poorly on both fronts - scores are dropping as IPS students are infiltrating the schools as they don't want to wear uniforms (give me a break), and LNHS does nothing about it. And, the taxes in Lawrence Township continues to soar, with the largest consumer of those dollars being the schools. So, yes, I am interested to see what schools are doing well on the academic side (which is fairly easy to determine), and when taken into consideration their capital projects, rate of property tax dollars, etc. I was preparing to move my kids out of Lawrence Township schools. This study helped validate my decision.
Mom

Covington, KY

#11 Dec 12, 2007
The best buy for taxpayer money is the private schools where the taxpayers money is zero
Locutus

Bloomington, IN

#13 Dec 12, 2007
Five out of six school districts in Hendricks County made the list. What happened to the sixth one?
Lacey

United States

#14 Dec 12, 2007
Mom wrote:
The best buy for taxpayer money is the private schools where the taxpayers money is zero
Ha! Love it.
big old fight brewin

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Dec 12, 2007
There's a big battle coming tonight at the Washington Township School Board.

Gotta check it out with:
www.HoosiersForFairTaxation.com

They tied together the school super, the board, and Jim Schellinger, to big $$ contracts to Schellinger's firm, CSO architects.

Heard the media will be there too.
Miss Sarah

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Dec 12, 2007
Wasn't this a state wide study? And weren't there other classifications...higher levels of achievement with lower costs in several schools? In fact, weren't the highest achievement/lowest cost schools in small cities and towns in other parts of the state - not in central Indiana...Isn't this story as it appears here - perhaps - incomplete?
Think

United States

#17 Dec 12, 2007
Just Think wrote:
How much better HSE could be if the Geist rebels would just pay their share.
They do pay their share already. Everyone who is part of the same school district pays the same amount of taxes to the school system.
I don't live in Geist -- but I am in a similar situation. I live in Washington township, but we are also in the IPS school district. Part of my taxes go to Washington township for the services they provide to me, but my education tax dollars go to IPS. It's the same for the taxpayers at Geist. They are not getting a free ride.
hmmm

Fishers, IN

#18 Dec 12, 2007
if the Chamber of Commerce ever had any credibility in picking which schools are the best buys, that has certainly gone away when you consider that Kevin Brinegar, President of the Chamber is also on the School Board of one of the Schools picked....Noblesville....anoth er way to try and drive up your property value Kevin...remember, you have to pay property taxes on your house...at least until you figure out how to get the rest of us to pay it like you did the inventory tax.
rex

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Dec 12, 2007
None of the high rated schools have a lot of low income family students. They generally drag the entire school down (not that it's their fault).
Hoosier Daddy

Cedar Rapids, IA

#21 Dec 12, 2007
HSE! HSE! Pay your share, Geist Rebels!!!!!
When do we get back

Pryor, OK

#22 Dec 12, 2007
Miss Sarah wrote:
Wasn't this a state wide study? And weren't there other classifications...higher levels of achievement with lower costs in several schools? In fact, weren't the highest achievement/lowest cost schools in small cities and towns in other parts of the state - not in central Indiana...Isn't this story as it appears here - perhaps - incomplete?
This was "area" best buys! Read the headline!!!

Happy to live in Hendricks where I have lower property Taxes and better schools than Marion county!
Not so fast

United States

#23 Dec 12, 2007
You don't think NewPal, Shelbyville, or Triton have low-income families. Your out of your mind then. Take a harder look at the schools on there.
rex wrote:
None of the high rated schools have a lot of low income family students. They generally drag the entire school down (not that it's their fault).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thorntown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pamela Osborne Dec 17 its over 1
rehab center Dec 14 NoWay 2
Wreck just west of Crawfordville on I-74 nov29th Dec 11 squeezers 4
Dose Royal Builders do good work? Dec 5 smh 1
Fredrick R. "Fred" Hitch, New Palestine (Aug '11) Oct '14 Judith Hitch Boots 2
Ebola Land Oct '14 squeezers 1
tattoos Oct '14 need info 1
Thorntown Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web