Martinez to sign suicide prevention bill (8:09 a.m.)

Full story: Las Cruces Sun-News

Gov. Susana Martinez is traveling to the nation's largest American Indian reservation Thursday to sign a bill that aims to tackle a problem that has plagued many communities across Indian Country.
Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Apr 30, 2011
Quark

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2011

Judged:

You can't prevent suicde with a bill; you've got to give people (especially if they're in dire straits as many Native Americans are) a reason to live.

A century of genocide, disease, substance abuse (and the accompanying ills: child and spouse abuse, etc.), poverty, unemployment and no chance for a real future has broken the spirit of many of NM's Native Americans.

Signing a bill providing intervention counselors to prevent suicide among a people with no future makes about as much sense as delivering freedom at the end of a gun.
Jolly Roger

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2011

Judged:

Is it impossible for susie to do her job from her office? Or is she just setting us up for longer trips? How much do these excursions cost the tax payers? Go back to your office and do your job from there.
uuu

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2011

Judged:

Quark wrote:
You can't prevent suicde with a bill; you've got to give people (especially if they're in dire straits as many Native Americans are) a reason to live.
A century of genocide, disease, substance abuse (and the accompanying ills: child and spouse abuse, etc.), poverty, unemployment and no chance for a real future has broken the spirit of many of NM's Native Americans.
Signing a bill providing intervention counselors to prevent suicide among a people with no future makes about as much sense as delivering freedom at the end of a gun.
A bill is better than nothing.
Quark

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2011

Judged:

uuu wrote:
<quoted text>
A bill is better than nothing.
Is it? To me passing a bill like this is like putting a magnetic yellow ribbon on your car's bumper to support the troops - it's LITERALLY the least you can do.

As far as Native Americans go, these ineffective measures are the crux of their involvement with the U.S. government. Their history has been plagued by "feel good" measures that are meant to give the illusion that help is being given while little changes in life on the rez.
NM Hiker

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2011

Hopefully, Gov. Martinez is getting someone to read her some history and facts.

Being from Texas and having lived in Las Cruces during her entire carpetbag New Mexico residency, she is totally ignorant of the Navajo nation.

And being a Tea Bagger Republican, her first comment will be "Why don't more of you just get a job?"

Fortuantely, the wealthy Lone Star State handlers are riding in the SUV with the rookie Gov. to prevent a major uprising in an area larger than even west Texas.
Jolly Roger

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2011

Judged:

Signing the bill is easy, how is she going to fund it? More feel good slide of hand.
JNNM

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2011

What a waste of time, resources, gas, and money!
Quark

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2011

Judged:

NM Hiker wrote:
And being a Tea Bagger Republican, her first comment will be "Why don't more of you just get a job?"
I agree with you %100, but I just had to comment on this. It's SOOO true among many Republicans. People are poor because they're lazy.

So many rich people (politicians too) have no inkling what it takes to survive in today's world. Not only are jobs difficult to find, but we've agreed to take on the tax burdens of the richest 1% of Americans.

It's easy to be rich when you're born into it and don't have to pay taxes.
Soylent Green is people

Las Cruces, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2011

Judged:

Quark wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you %100, but I just had to comment on this. It's SOOO true among many Republicans. People are poor because they're lazy.
So many rich people (politicians too) have no inkling what it takes to survive in today's world. Not only are jobs difficult to find, but we've agreed to take on the tax burdens of the richest 1% of Americans.
It's easy to be rich when you're born into it and don't have to pay taxes.
And they want to cut funding for Pell grants, thus ensuring that only their children will afford to go to college. Poor children are born with two strikes against them, and the rich Republicans want to take away the bat.

“Freedom is never free”

Since: Jan 09

El Paso, Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2011

I also find it strange that she has to tour the state in order to sign a bill.

This smacks of pure vanity. She wants exposure. She wants limelight. She's not doing her job, well technically I guess she is, but she's going out of her way to promote her image and not the work she was "hired" to do.

As for this bill looks like more government waste something she swore to eliminate. It'll start with funds being directed to "study" the problem. Then they will hire people to focus on a solution then they will hire more people to implement whatever measure they propose. Ah but a couple of years they'll say something's not working right and will spend more money to study what went wrong.

Typical government waste.
just sayin

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2011

Judged:

... I wish Guv Susana would commit suicide herself ...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Thoreau Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fort Wingate Music Selection (Aug '12) Jun '14 Musikologist 10
FBI and Navajo police search for clues in fatal... (Mar '11) Jun '14 shawna 2
Review: Thoreu Navajo Outreach Jun '14 benjamin Edward g... 1
NM Republican Martinez claims NM governor's seat (Nov '10) May '14 kyle richards 232
wow this is ama zing! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Jamie Porst 1
Weird New Mexico: Bigfoot Sightings (Oct '11) Jul '13 confused 114
Navajo lawmaker attempts to outlaw piracy on re... (Nov '08) Jul '13 Roy 5

Search the Thoreau Forum:
•••
•••
Thoreau Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Thoreau Jobs

•••