Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2012

At the end of the day we are responsible for our careers. One of my favorite poems is by William Henley:

----------

"It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul."

----------

If you rely on management to take care of you, you are putting yourself at their mercy.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2012

the truth wrote:
<quoted text>the reason tpi has to cut for profitability is that the people in those positions never should have had them in the first place. Good plastic companies organize themselves from the beginning to not have unneeded labor. When control of the company switched hands the dead weight stood out like a sore thumb. If the earlier management had a concept of achievable, sustainable growth, they would have not needed all of those employees. But instead, they threw people in positions in a panic. They over stretched themselves to the point where they could not maintain production with out added labor. They wanted to make as much money as they could and then dump the company. Now new management is left with the mess. I know everyone is upset because friends have been laid off, but that has been the result of previous management decisions. Also you have to take into account that all of manufacturing is in the tank. To think the economy has no part in tpi's situation is naive. Jerry did not continually improve his company. He just continued to make deals and deals and then expected everyone else to get it done with what they had. Good companies do the required things to make efficiency possible. They phase out old equipment and replace it with updated models, they develop contingency plans so that emergency don't shut everything down, and they place realistic goals on what is achievable. They also give individuals the tools to succeed not just place blame.
I generally agree with you about the old management addressing production problems with increases in labor as opposed to solving the problem up front: I’m just not sure that the current management is any better; new faces, same methods. It is still a basic 1950’s “top down” control style. When was the last time management really listened to an employee?

It is difficult to train a workforce in a company that has a significant seasonal component to their customer base. You train employees and then lay them off. One of the presentations said that on average half our workers have been here for less than 90 days.

Of more concern to me are the cuts to machine replacement, routine machine maintenance and tooling condition. As a previous post stated,“they substitute cheaper material, they don’t maintain the tools, the machines are in serious disrepair and they don’t understand why they get bad quality. It must be the employees.” This has serious long term ramifications to our competitiveness. We are stealing from the future.

We are only “reacting” to short term revenue targets. These guys are “posing” on the deck of the Titanic.
the truth

Shelby, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2012

Mold Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
I generally agree with you about the old management addressing production problems with increases in labor as opposed to solving the problem up front: I’m just not sure that the current management is any better; new faces, same methods. It is still a basic 1950’s “top down” control style. When was the last time management really listened to an employee?
It is difficult to train a workforce in a company that has a significant seasonal component to their customer base. You train employees and then lay them off. One of the presentations said that on average half our workers have been here for less than 90 days.
Of more concern to me are the cuts to machine replacement, routine machine maintenance and tooling condition. As a previous post stated,“they substitute cheaper material, they don’t maintain the tools, the machines are in serious disrepair and they don’t understand why they get bad quality. It must be the employees.” This has serious long term ramifications to our competitiveness. We are stealing from the future.
We are only “reacting” to short term revenue targets. These guys are “posing” on the deck of the Titanic.
well the truth is they have no choice. Their(new management) job is going to be immensely difficult. The company is owned by billionaires in new York. The owners only look at profit reports. So it is kibbey's job to make those look as good as possible. I believe he would love to upgrade the business. Get new equipment and keep employees but the books won't allow him too. He has got to do the best possible with what he has to show as much profit as possible. Now the other problem is all of our business occurs at the same season. Again this is something the previous management did a poor job of handling. They should have pushed for diversification of business instead of lumping on more of the same old. Now we have gotten to the point that in the fall and winter there is not enough press time so they have to run everyday without a break. Then summer comes and you run only 20 percent capacity. If you don't lay off then 20 people per shift will get paid to do nothing. Which ultimately cuts into profit. Unfortunately this is going to be a very slow process of converting business to be year round and honestly I don't know if kibbey has time before investors pull the plug. I do not envy the man.
POV

Evans, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2012

Mold Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
You say it is difficult to train a seasonal workforce, I think they don't even try. No one follows up to see if you are following procedures. I was told I would get my safety training the next time they gave it, and thats been two years! TPI is like water, it takes the path of least resistance.
bad apple

Stockbridge, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2012

POV wrote:
<quoted text>
You say it is difficult to train a seasonal workforce, I think they don't even try. No one follows up to see if you are following procedures. I was told I would get my safety training the next time they gave it, and thats been two years! TPI is like water, it takes the path of least resistance.
you hit dead center on that one I agree!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

bad apple wrote:
<quoted text> you hit dead center on that one I agree!!
Some budget cuts are fair game - employee safety is not. A couple of years ago OSHA came in and found several serious violations. They fined TPI $30,000+. Most of the violations remain open today.

Aside from the moral implications of putting employees at risk, it is illegal.
POV

Evans, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2012

Mold Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
Some budget cuts are fair game - employee safety is not. A couple of years ago OSHA came in and found several serious violations. They fined TPI $30,000+. Most of the violations remain open today.
Aside from the moral implications of putting employees at risk, it is illegal.
Here at TPI Safety is NOT job #1, I do not know if it rates #2. Barry got so upset that Kibby just came out and said it at a meeting that he walked out and quit! Our electric bill is $130,000 a month so a fine that small does not even sting. Nothing will be done until OSHA closes the plant and won't let production start again until the violations are fixed. Sad to say, that won't happen until someone dies. Sadder still, they would close the plant and never reopen, hurting Thomson and the people that depend on TPI for a living.
For me, I am going to keep pushing for safety, one broken ground plug on a fan, one oil spill, one bypassed safety switch at a time.
the truth

Newport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2012

POV wrote:
<quoted text>
Here at TPI Safety is NOT job #1, I do not know if it rates #2. Barry got so upset that Kibby just came out and said it at a meeting that he walked out and quit! Our electric bill is $130,000 a month so a fine that small does not even sting. Nothing will be done until OSHA closes the plant and won't let production start again until the violations are fixed. Sad to say, that won't happen until someone dies. Sadder still, they would close the plant and never reopen, hurting Thomson and the people that depend on TPI for a living.
For me, I am going to keep pushing for safety, one broken ground plug on a fan, one oil spill, one bypassed safety switch at a time.
that's all you can do. Unless the economy makes a dramatic swing up, no investor is going to keep pumping money into tpi.
caretaker

Edgefield, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2012

POV wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, after Kibbey's little fit over "production is king", Barry just said "Safety is King", set down the microphone and walked away. I never saw him again.
GA Dog

Edgefield, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2012

POV wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right about OSHA and their fines. It is cheaper to pay the fine than fix the problem. OSHA collects the money and disappears. They never follow up on a timely basis.
upstream

Augusta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2012

the truth wrote:
<quoted text>that's all you can do. Unless the economy makes a dramatic swing up, no investor is going to keep pumping money into tpi.
The problem runs deeper than that. Landino and Kibbey came from Continental Structural Plastics. Bruce had been CEO from 1998-2010. These were pretty profitable years in plastics, but during this period, 2 employees died in safety related accidents at CSP. OSHA found the company at fault and fined them accordingly. The safety problems highlighted were eerily similar to the issues we are facing today.

We are not talking about bruises, scraps or contustions, we are talking about DEAD.

In another incident, one of their plants caught fire (multi alarm blaze) as a result of burning parts (sound familiar?).

Are these people who would care about safety even in a good economy? Their actions indicate their only concern at TPI and before at CSP is profit.

I do agree with you that Altus is probably running out of patience and not willing to throw alot of money our way.
POV

Evans, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2012

Mold Monkey wrote:
At the end of the day we are responsible for our careers. One of my favorite poems is by William Henley:
----------
"It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul."
----------
If you rely on management to take care of you, you are putting yourself at their mercy.
One of my favorite poets is Don Henley:

"You don’t wanna work, you wanna live like a king

But the big, bad world doesn’t owe you a thing

Get over it!

Get over it!

If you don’t wanna play then you might as well split

Get over it! Get over it!"

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2012

POV wrote:
<quoted text>
One of my favorite poets is Don Henley:
"You don’t wanna work, you wanna live like a king
But the big, bad world doesn’t owe you a thing
Get over it!
Get over it!
If you don’t wanna play then you might as well split
Get over it! Get over it!"
As both Henley's say, we are responsible for our condition. It was actually written by Glen Frey and Don Henley (I think).
bad apple

Stockbridge, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2012

We are in a bad way yet money is being spent hand over foot on press 155,this is nothing but a money pit and will allways be.another bad move!!

Since: Jun 12

Thomson, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2012

bad apple wrote:
We are in a bad way yet money is being spent hand over foot on press 155,this is nothing but a money pit and will allways be.another bad move!!
But hey... We can afford to re-hire a Plant Manager for $100,000 Plus a year!! But who cares how many people have to lose their jobs for him. And TPI better hope that Trane Press pays off.. That may be the straw that breaks the camels back...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

warehouse_worker wrote:
<quoted text>
But hey... We can afford to re-hire a Plant Manager for $100,000 Plus a year!! But who cares how many people have to lose their jobs for him. And TPI better hope that Trane Press pays off.. That may be the straw that breaks the camels back...
We don't need more managers, we need leaders.
POV

Evans, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2012

Ah...summer at TPI. There's a warm breeze, birds are singing and fluttering by, and the air is alive with the buzzing of insects... and outside not too bad either.
POV

Evans, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2012

There is a new banner proudly displayed that reads,
""They" does not work here. "We" does work here."

English is apparently a second language here.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

warehouse_worker wrote:
<quoted text>
He is one of Kibbey's old buddies from Collins and Aikman. It's not what you know, it's who you.....well you know the rest.

I think Collins and Aikman went bankrupt, didn't they.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Mold Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
He is one of Kibbey's old buddies from Collins and Aikman. It's not what you know, it's who you.....well you know the rest.
I think Collins and Aikman went bankrupt, didn't they.
Yes they did.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Thomson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 6 min Oh my 52,264
Teresa Boatright (SEX OFFENDER) (Jul '10) Aug 12 Dillon Griswell 8
Review: Happy Valley Processing Co Aug 4 MCG22 1
Who's Minding the PropertyTax Assessor's Office Jul 26 Belinda Alfraredi 1
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) Jul '14 what 2,045
From Harlem Shake to Harlem Sheikh, cultural fo... (Mar '13) Jul '14 ron 4
gay teen near augusta, ga Jun '14 Djl17 2

Search the Thomson Forum:
•••
•••
Thomson Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Thomson Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000