Dogged by laws, many puppy mills closing

Dogged by laws, many puppy mills closing

There are 27 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Dec 21, 2009, titled Dogged by laws, many puppy mills closing. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Edwin Zeiset said he had no choice but to shut down. His Ephrata kennel was licensed to keep or breed up to 500 dogs per year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Teshia

Center Barnstead, NH

#21 Jan 4, 2010
I'm just now reading the comments (after I posted mine). I completely agree w/ "Eileen" and "Dog Rescue".

Moving forward, any breeder that is found in contempt of any of these laws should have to pay HEFTY fines, in which most of that money should go to the local shelters and/or organizations that are footing the bill to rescue and nurse these poor, innocent animals back to health.
Voice of Reason

Dallas, PA

#22 Jan 4, 2010
The breeder my MIL purchased her dog from is not listed in this article, BUT she refuses to cooperate with them, and deserves to be put out of business. They made a trek last weekend, and the conditions were horrid. So pass the word, don't buy puppies (Bulldog or Pug) from Ada Martin in Ephrata. She doesn't care about anything but money. The SPCA of Lancaster Co will be paying her a visit, as well as the Humane Police.
pathetic

Pylesville, MD

#23 Jan 5, 2010
William wrote:
Did anyone else notice that all the puppy mill owners seem to have mennonite and amish lastnames? I think that they should all be kept in mesh cages for a year so that their urine has to drain away and only get food and water once a day, and no attention! Lets face it that culture has never been very kind to animals , and only look at them as $ signs. They even inbreed themselves into human disease and disorders. I think it is disgusting that someone would make the statement that "it would need to be a fulltime job in order to take care of them properly"...It should be a job if someone is going to make major profit , and abuse animals worse then cattle raised for veal...Wondering how they would like to spend life in a cage in awful conditions and never be let out but only to breed?
Honestly puppy mills are not just run by Amish and Mennonite..although many are. I bought a sheltie dog from a breeder and within 1 month of getting her home she started with medical problems. Before the age of 2 she had pyloric stenosis (the valve between her esophagus and stomach is so hard that the food gets stuck in the esophagus and won't pass through and she vomits after eating). After going to vets in Southern York Co for months and spending 2K and being told by idiotic vets that she has "allergies" we finally took her to Balto and she was immediately diagnosed. She will be on medicine for the rest of her life.
Months later she developed disc problems in her back.. The vet said I should contact the breeder immediately to let her know of all the problems. When I did she was very uncaring. I should have had a clue when we went to pick out the puppy and there were dogs (2 different breeds of adult dogs and older pups) running all over the yard and being allowed to run out to my car.
So, long story short, although this wasn't a typical 'puppy mill' situation in the sense that the cages weren't stacked on top of each other, you can't help but wonder if there is inbreeding going on and what else is happening and this was NOT an Amish woman.
Glad someone finally got enough sense to pass these laws. Although this dog has the sweetest disposition and is the best dog I have ever had, she has really had to suffer. Fortunately there is medicine to help her and I would do everything in my power to take care of her- she is like a child to me- but we are out a chunk of change and she has been through hell with constant puking (before she was finally diagnosed).
Stank

Lititz, PA

#24 Jan 7, 2010
My mother always said. "Be careful qhat you wish for, your wish may come true!" When we wished for stricter laws on puppy mills did dog lovers realise that thousands of dogs would be given away free an thus overwelming the kennals? No one wanted dirty filthy Puppy Mills but our legislators fixed the problem with lawsand an outcome that they couldn't rationalize. Wait until they fix your health care!
Dog Lover

Harrisburg, PA

#25 Jan 7, 2010
Stank wrote:
My mother always said. "Be careful qhat you wish for, your wish may come true!" When we wished for stricter laws on puppy mills did dog lovers realise that thousands of dogs would be given away free an thus overwelming the kennals? No one wanted dirty filthy Puppy Mills but our legislators fixed the problem with lawsand an outcome that they couldn't rationalize. Wait until they fix your health care!
Don't you realize that even though the shelters are dealing with this problem now, these breeding dogs will now know what it is like to live in a warm, loving home instead of in a filthy cage without human companionship the rest of their lives? Furthermore, with all of these dogs out of the breeding cycle because of the closures, there will be a lot less "puppy mill" puppies now and in the future.
AWe

Bethlehem, PA

#26 Jan 11, 2010
There is no need for horrible puppy mills run by ignorant people that do not recognize the torture they have put the breeding animals through. People need to get a pet from a shelter until all shelters are empty.
I am amazed the Amish call themselves Christian, the torture animals.
anonymous

Emmaus, PA

#27 Jan 12, 2010
I agree with every single post on here.I know when we get our next animal I would rather go to somebody who has an animal that became pregnant,over going too a licensed breeder,because at least you know the animals are being loved and taken care of,not just the owner out breeding animals for the money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thompsontown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Back Ground Checks (Oct '13) Oct '13 thebenners1 2
News Walton to run for district judge seat (Feb '13) Feb '13 My 3 cents 1
News Jim Nace (Nov '09) Feb '13 Laura class 2004 3
News Jason E. Leppert (Mar '11) Mar '11 Bergen kleist 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Pennsylvan... (Oct '10) Dec '10 mrbuddy 7
News Ranck sentenced to 9 months (May '10) Sep '10 jasema22 4
News Second person charged in infant ass..... (Jul '10) Jul '10 JunkE 9

Thompsontown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Thompsontown Mortgages