Dogged by laws, many puppy mills closing

Dogged by laws, many puppy mills closing

There are 27 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Dec 21, 2009, titled Dogged by laws, many puppy mills closing. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Edwin Zeiset said he had no choice but to shut down. His Ephrata kennel was licensed to keep or breed up to 500 dogs per year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
George

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Dec 21, 2009
Either way you look at it - it is animal abuse. Why breed dogs when there are ALREADY unwanted dogs/puppies?????????? I visited a kennel about 10 years ago and I left in tears..........Those poor animals are being mistreated!!!!!!!!!!
heh

Hyattsville, MD

#2 Dec 21, 2009
if only the people who pushed for this legistlation would apply it to human's as well....

There's WAY too many damn "puppy mills" in urban cities today and the only home they find is on our dime!!
Just_Me

York, PA

#3 Dec 21, 2009
George..... That's one thing WE BOTH agree on!!
Quick comment

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Dec 21, 2009
I have a comment in response to the following:

Zeiset, of EZ Puppies, said the prohibition against wire flooring is especially tough for breeders. "There's no way you can keep a dog dry on any kind of flooring where urine does not drain away, there's just no way to keep them clean," he said. "That would be a 24-7 job."

I worked at a kennel for three years (a boarding kennel, not a breeding kennel). We had concrete runs, and we kept our dogs clean. It wasn't that hard.
Voice of Reason

Dallas, PA

#5 Dec 21, 2009
Yeah, my mother-in-law bought a puppy 3 months ago from an amish breeder. The place looked clean, and they dropped in unannounced several times to see the dog they wanted. But hes now 8 months old and recently diagnosed with 2 blown out knees, and his hips are dislocated. The vets estimate for repairative surgery is over 12k. I am not a dog person, but I noticed he was walking funny, even more so than his breed (Eng. Bulldog) is known for. Now you tell me this "Breeder" who's been doing this for years didn't know he had problems. And she freely admitted that at least 3 of her puppies had ben returned to her because their testicles didn't descend. Not that screams volumes to me about the over-breeding that must be going on. The point isn't the money, it is that this dog is loved by the whole family and is on Morphine drugs for the pain. Its horrible. When I get her address from my MIL, I will post it here so noone else will try to buy an animal from her.
Good job

Jersey City, NJ

#6 Dec 21, 2009
I am in favor of stricter laws. There are way too many ruthless breeders only concerned about making a buck and abusing the poor animals who never have any human interaction and live in horrific conditions. Puppy mills should all be shut down!! They are there for one reason only - to profit the owners - not for bettering the breed. Homeless animals is a huge problem - more people should adopt from rescues and shelters. Until all homeless animals have a forever home, breeding should be severely restricted.
Give Me a Break

York, PA

#7 Dec 21, 2009
12k, you gotta' be kiddin'! That the price of a very nice, new Yugo. Or 1/3 the price of a Harley.
And the dogs testicles did not drop; excuse me, descend. Most people get their dogs balls chopped off anyway, ouch, can you imagine living through life that way. On morphine, damn. When I get the address of the refugee camps where little children, faces encrusted with flies; I will post it. As you would say, IT'S HORRIBLE! IF those poor souls had dogs, they would be eating them JUST TO SURVIVE. This country needs a WAKE UP CALL! Until then, Merry Christmas, don't know about the New Year over there.
Voice of reason

Dallas, PA

#8 Dec 21, 2009
Well Give me a break...since you are obviously interested. The surgery is for the repair to his legs and hips, not his testicles. He was fixed shortly after purchase. This is just about making a puppy that was possibly inbred more comfortable so he can do basic things like, walk. You are obviously a neanderthal with no soul. I am NOT a dog person, as my post stated, but this article related to puppy mills, and I was weighing in using my MIL's experience as proof that there are unsavory breeders in the area. If you have a link to a story about "refugee camps" then by all means post it, and I will be happy to debate with you. Until then, back off. Stick to the hate forums. Unless, of course YOU are an unsavory breeder, that would excuse youe apathetic attitude, but sadly, not your rampant ignorance.
For real

Dover, PA

#9 Dec 21, 2009
Everyone knows that there are too many unwanted animals in every shelter, so why do the puppy mill breeders stay in business? Because some people think they're getting a "good deal" on a purebred that winds up being a real lemon down the road. Vote with your feet and walk away from these mills. Adopt from the shelters instead!
Dog Rescue

Medford, NJ

#10 Dec 22, 2009
I don't feel ONE BIT sorry for breeders that have to go out of business because they can't stack dog cages, have to provide veterinary care and provide access to clean water for their dogs. It is despicable that these operations ever existed this way, these owners have no respect for life itself and deserve to be shut down and lose everything they have for getting into a business like this in the first place. In fact they should be forced to live the way their dogs have lived. I agree this is causing issues by flooding rescues with puppy mill dogs, but it is a step in the right direction!!
All4Rescue

Pottstown, PA

#11 Dec 22, 2009
I'm glad to see puppy mills closing down, but I do feel badly for the rescue groups that are now struggling to deal with what once was a money making scheme for others who could have cared less about the animals they were breeding and selling.

This idiot really says it all......

Zeiset, of EZ Puppies, said the prohibition against wire flooring is especially tough for breeders. "There's no way you can keep a dog dry on any kind of flooring where urine does not drain away, there's just no way to keep them clean," he said. "That would be a 24-7 job."

dog lover

United States

#12 Dec 22, 2009
Great news! I hope they all close down! They are making a living by abusing animals.
William

Lititz, PA

#13 Dec 22, 2009
Did anyone else notice that all the puppy mill owners seem to have mennonite and amish lastnames? I think that they should all be kept in mesh cages for a year so that their urine has to drain away and only get food and water once a day, and no attention! Lets face it that culture has never been very kind to animals , and only look at them as $ signs. They even inbreed themselves into human disease and disorders. I think it is disgusting that someone would make the statement that "it would need to be a fulltime job in order to take care of them properly"...It should be a job if someone is going to make major profit , and abuse animals worse then cattle raised for veal...Wondering how they would like to spend life in a cage in awful conditions and never be let out but only to breed?
littlefeats2003

United States

#14 Dec 23, 2009
I have to say it is about time. There are still going to be private breeders that will overbreed as well. Don't let them fool you with pedigree paperwork either. Every animal shelter and rescue across the nation are trying their best to find good homes for all these pets. The problem I see is they cannot know all the health history of most or even all of the puppymill dogs,only the ones that have had to be given up by responsible families. This happens every day. To take care of all these animals properly is definately a 24/7 job.Just as it would be for a responsible pet owner. To expect the breeders to comply to stricter guidlines is a must. I think it should be even stricter. How can these breeders be allowed to house 200 to 500 dogs . You cant possibly take care of that many properly. Yes they are in it for the money. You figure 300 to 600 dollars and up for a so called pedigree dog times how many? How is it they dont have a meens to care for properly. The money goes back into their pocket and they have lavish homes etc. Most Amish and mennonite breeders are in it for the cash. They knowlingly overbreed and just dont care. Most of them work the rest of their farm animale to death. I have seen buggies pulled off the side of the road and witnessed the owner whipping the poor animal to cross an icy bridge. Also witnessed very underweight horses etc. Thes people do not consider these animals part of a family.Therefore the abuse will continue. Not all AMish and mennonites are this way. But there are still too many. They are not the only minority that mistreats animals. The puppy mill puppies will have a better chance now, Unfortunately when years down the road the new adoptive families have to pay thousands of dollars in vet bills to treat problems. The families that cant afford these bills end up bringing them back to a shelter. There it is a no win situation for so many of Gods creatures. Wake up people. If you consider a pet consider in that the expence trainging for this pet. Don't just buy that pet or adopt a pet if you cannot have the finances to take care of it further down the road. Don't adopt or buy a pet and then decide because you have to relocate and cant take it with you. So many people do this. I can understand if the pet causes health issues. Consider exposure via other peoples pets and find out if you are allergic before aquiring one for yourself or as a pet for your children.There should be stricter guidlines also for shelters in regards to adoption process. They should not allow someone to adopt or buy and pet just on the grounds that the perspective adoptees have a vet, big yard, and money to buy. Part of the screening should require a series of follow up appts and require more than friends as references.etc. Look not only at the dogs and cats but all the bird breeders in this country. Look up all the aviary shelters and how full they are. Some are commendable in their adoption proceedures. Too many just allow adoptions and get rehoming feess because the people have the money at the time. Only to have the birds land up in a rescue when buyers get bored or cant be bothered with cost and time for training. Off topic a bit but all animal sales should have stricter guidlines. Look at all the shelters that have exotic animals, hampsters rabbits pigs goats, etc. Too many irresponsible people!!!
A Swift Kick In

York, PA

#15 Dec 23, 2009
Just the name of his company makes me sick. And it tells me all I need to know about what is "morally right."

Zeiset, of EZ Puppies, said the prohibition against wire flooring is especially tough for breeders.
anonymous

AOL

#16 Dec 23, 2009
littlefeats2003 wrote:
I have to say it is about time. There are still going to be private breeders that will overbreed as well. Don't let them fool you with pedigree paperwork either. Every animal shelter and rescue across the nation are trying their best to find good homes for all these pets. The problem I see is they cannot know all the health history of most or even all of the puppymill dogs,only the ones that have had to be given up by responsible families. This happens every day. To take care of all these animals properly is definately a 24/7 job.Just as it would be for a responsible pet owner. To expect the breeders to comply to stricter guidlines is a must. I think it should be even stricter. How can these breeders be allowed to house 200 to 500 dogs . You cant possibly take care of that many properly. Yes they are in it for the money. You figure 300 to 600 dollars and up for a so called pedigree dog times how many? How is it they dont have a meens to care for properly. The money goes back into their pocket and they have lavish homes etc. Most Amish and mennonite breeders are in it for the cash. They knowlingly overbreed and just dont care. Most of them work the rest of their farm animale to death. I have seen buggies pulled off the side of the road and witnessed the owner whipping the poor animal to cross an icy bridge. Also witnessed very underweight horses etc. Thes people do not consider these animals part of a family.Therefore the abuse will continue. Not all AMish and mennonites are this way. But there are still too many. They are not the only minority that mistreats animals. The puppy mill puppies will have a better chance now, Unfortunately when years down the road the new adoptive families have to pay thousands of dollars in vet bills to treat problems. The families that cant afford these bills end up bringing them back to a shelter. There it is a no win situation for so many of Gods creatures. Wake up people. If you consider a pet consider in that the expence trainging for this pet. Don't just buy that pet or adopt a pet if you cannot have the finances to take care of it further down the road. Don't adopt or buy a pet and then decide because you have to relocate and cant take it with you. So many people do this. I can understand if the pet causes health issues. Consider exposure via other peoples pets and find out if you are allergic before aquiring one for yourself or as a pet for your children.There should be stricter guidlines also for shelters in regards to adoption process. They should not allow someone to adopt or buy and pet just on the grounds that the perspective adoptees have a vet, big yard, and money to buy. Part of the screening should require a series of follow up appts and require more than friends as references.etc. Look not only at the dogs and cats but all the bird breeders in this country. Look up all the aviary shelters and how full they are. Some are commendable in their adoption proceedures. Too many just allow adoptions and get rehoming feess because the people have the money at the time. Only to have the birds land up in a rescue when buyers get bored or cant be bothered with cost and time for training. Off topic a bit but all animal sales should have stricter guidlines. Look at all the shelters that have exotic animals, hampsters rabbits pigs goats, etc. Too many irresponsible people!!!
Yeah it is pretty sad when someone has to get rid of a hamster because they can't take care of it.If they can't handle a hamster,then they can't handle any pet,because hamsters are not hard to take care of and they only live 2 years max.
Eileen Kerrigan

Princeton, NJ

#17 Dec 28, 2009
"Zeiset, of EZ Puppies, said the prohibition against wire flooring is especially tough for breeders.'There's no way you can keep a dog dry on any kind of flooring where urine does not drain away, there's just no way to keep them clean,' he said. "

Actually, there IS a way, Mr. Zeiset: It's called "responsible breeding." Responsible breeders don't have 500 dogs at a time -- they have one litter at a time, maybe once every few years. And keeping one litter clean isn't a problem at all.

Also, I find it utterly bizarre that you think it's okay to keep 500 dogs in concentration-camp conditions just so your 70-year-old parents have something to do. Perhaps you could find them a hobby that doesn't involve torturing animals -- say, gardening, for instance?

Thanks to greedy people like you and your parents, millions of physically and emotionally damaged dogs are being dumped into the canine population -- a problem for someone else to deal with. But I guess as long as you've made your profit from them, that's okay, too.

I can't think of a punishment awful enough for what you've done, but I suppose losing your "livelihood" is a start.
brady

Jarrettsville, MD

#18 Dec 28, 2009
The worst abusers are the Amish!!!
Bonnie

Lititz, PA

#19 Dec 31, 2009
I volunteer for a rescue group. It is all volunteer and donations. The bills for helping these dogs after they have been let go without proper vet care is very expensive. We wouldn't have as many problems if the unresponsible puppy mills would be shut down. Even so called responsible breeders don't always know what happens to some of the dogs after they sell them. Some people say because people pay a good price they will surely take care of them. This definately is not the case. When people want to get rid of a dog, they don't even think what they paid for them. It means nothing. People don't understand it is a lifetime commitment. We have to stop it at the beginning and it is where dogs are bred. Just look at the pictures of dogs that have been rescued from puppy mills. If you have a heart, it breaks. It is a constant yearlong battle to try to save these dogs. You can't possibly save them all. It's heartbreaking. Hopefully our township and city governments will be responsible and stop the breeding of dogs at puppy mills. It has to start somewhere. It is an unhumane business.
Teshia

Sanbornton, NH

#20 Jan 4, 2010
I am DISGUSTED by this. The comments, "Zeiset, of EZ Puppies, said the prohibition against wire flooring is especially tough for breeders. "There's no way you can keep a dog dry on any kind of flooring where urine does not drain away, there's just no way to keep them clean," he said. "That would be a 24-7 job." " ... are you sick? Really? Dogs, cats... and domestic animal... just like children, DESERVE to be taken care of 24-7. I am disgusted that the laws being passed are even in question - these are all things ANY living, breathing soul deserves, and there are people (that's putting it nicely) fighting these new laws tooth and nail?? All in the name of business?? What kind of world do we live in? Come on already. I am SO grateful that these new laws are in place, and so much more grateful that so many puppy mills are closing down - that list is extremely impressive! Maybe these jerks that were making a living off of these innocent animals will lose everything and get a taste of what it feels like to suffer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thompsontown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Senator Rob Teplitz needs your help! Jul 8 ThePongster 1
News Former assistant business manager sues West Mif... Jun 29 Edgar Schneiders ... 8
News Expense records sought from Elizabeth Forward b... May '15 HOPE 29
News Freezing rain creates dangerous road conditions (Nov '14) May '15 Hobo Jim 33
Bus service? Feb '15 Lori 1
Back Ground Checks (Oct '13) Oct '13 thebenners1 2
News Walton to run for district judge seat (Feb '13) Feb '13 My 3 cents 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Thompsontown Mortgages