Wild weather, tornado warnings mark m...

Wild weather, tornado warnings mark morning

There are 28 comments on the Evening Sun story from Apr 28, 2011, titled Wild weather, tornado warnings mark morning. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Brief thunderstorms, some with high winds, delivered hammering blows to the Hanover area Thursday morning, bringing about at least two tornado warnings in York County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
August West

United States

#21 Apr 28, 2011
Exactly Friend from the past! If you want to live in a rural area, expect rural services! People act as though Hanover is a huge city with hundreds of thousands of citizens. It is not, and being 35-40 miles away from a city that does have hundreds of thousands does not typically merit thorough news coverage. Therefore, if you want "live, local, and late breaking" move to Baltimore or Harrisburg! Otherwise, buy a weather radio or start using the Internet for something other than to complain about the small town you live in and how it isn't like where you lived before!
just saying

Gardners, PA

#22 Apr 28, 2011
Instead of complaining about what you might think is poor coverage for the area,
let's be thankful that the damage was minimal. This same system killed 100's of people down south. As for the coverage, both wgal and fox 43 mentioned the Hanover area in its' coverage. Besides, I didn't need a tv or radio or whatever to tell me to head to the lowest part of the house, one look outside was all it took.
wow

Mechanicsburg, PA

#23 Apr 28, 2011
abc wrote:
<quoted text>
THERE, THEIR, THEY'RE....Learn the difference and how to use them!
My point eactly, people just, like to complain and point out others mistakes because i know there perfect.... bozo's, and yes i know i made all the errors on purpose just for you...:(
Adams Countian

Sterling, VA

#24 Apr 28, 2011
August West, maybe you haven't been to south-central PA. The rural areas have no cable, and you are often lucky to be able to get 768k DSL service in some areas. That leaves some with V.90 or satellite internet. Needless to say, Broadcast TV is critical for south-central PA!

I would recommend that news stations put Hanover/Littlestown/New Oxford/Gettysburg/etc. on the map and consider giving a little more air time. It's a large region and should not be lumped together with York. Frederick, MD is more local for me than York or Harrisburg..

For those that use satellite TV service in the area, the satellite company does not give you a choice on which service area you want in your package for local channels. If you live 100 feet north of the Mason-Dixon line, you get PA stations. South, you get MD stations (Baltimore or DC).

For those with OTA antennas, they have more flexibility. Regardless, if Adams/Western York counties are truly supposed to be part of the Harrisburg/York DMA (service area), then there should be adequate coverage of our area.
SW Parent of two

Hanover, PA

#25 Apr 28, 2011
Certainly not arguing with you on that one....blessings and prayers are being sent out to all who might have sustained minimal damage this morning locally as well as those deeply affected by the severity of the storms this past week. And yes, you are certainly right, one look outside of the window was all it took to realize that things were not "right".
just saying wrote:
Instead of complaining about what you might think is poor coverage for the area,
let's be thankful that the damage was minimal. This same system killed 100's of people down south. As for the coverage, both wgal and fox 43 mentioned the Hanover area in its' coverage. Besides, I didn't need a tv or radio or whatever to tell me to head to the lowest part of the house, one look outside was all it took.

Since: Jan 09

Hanover

#26 Apr 28, 2011
For anyone that has Internet access, you can get local weather information by going to " www.weatherbug.com " and downloading a small program that will give you a lot of "real-time" information that is continuously updated.
GoodToKnow

Chambersburg, PA

#27 Apr 28, 2011
My guess the reason why Baltimore was informing PA residents is the path of the storms. They were "training" Southwest to Northeast, from Baltimore/Frederick into Central PA. Maryland already knew what was headed that way. The PA news centers in Harrisburg were probably playing catch up. I think they did an excellent job after 830 this morning and they too (wgal 8 and fox 43) were following the storms coming out of Maryland finally. The severe weather quickly materialized when reaching PA. All in all, the Hanover/Adams area was extremely lucky. Bottom line is prepare yourself, don't wait for someone else. That is NOAA radios etc.
Hanoverian

Rockville, MD

#28 Apr 29, 2011
Irishtown resident wrote:
Ours sounded too. I was told it is different from a normal siren. It should be something us normal folk can distinguish... I wouldn't have stayed in bed trying to ignore it had I known. Scary
The Irishtown siren WAS different than normal. For a fire call it sounds blasts about 20-30 seconds long. The warning blasts it sounded Thursday morning were only 7-10 seconds long, and there were more of them. I hear that company's siren quite a bit, and I could definitely tell the difference. As a matter of fact hearing the siren is what made me turn on the tv and check the local weather, which is where I found out about the tornado warning.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thomasville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News To march or not? Some women are staying away be... Jan 23 SallyMarch 1
News York victims of sexual assault struggle for peace (Apr '13) Jan 23 Malachi Sawyer 2
News Did colonial courthouse windows end up in the D... Jan '17 Gofigure 1
News Hanover man apologizes after fighting cop Dec '16 Fitus T Bluster 1
News Lancaster County megachurch expands into York C... (Jul '10) Nov '16 Jeff 28
Is Testerone XL good for building muscle? Oct '16 Nerie 1
Skin whitening G4M glutathione for men celebrities Oct '16 Nikko 1

Thomasville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Thomasville Mortgages