Wild weather, tornado warnings mark morning

Full story: Evening Sun 28
Brief thunderstorms, some with high winds, delivered hammering blows to the Hanover area Thursday morning, bringing about at least two tornado warnings in York County. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jennifer from the Block

Chambersburg, PA

#1 Apr 28, 2011
The weather was crazy this morning. I took alot of very cool pictures and videos. I just waiting for a funnel cloud to drop. Very scary.
Resident

Fort Collins, CO

#2 Apr 28, 2011
you certainly can't rely on local tv news for up to date information or warnings - I got better and more accurate reports from Baltimore and Frederick than anywhere the Adams/York area.
Public Outrage

Myerstown, PA

#3 Apr 28, 2011
Jennifer from the Block wrote:
The weather was crazy this morning. I took alot of very cool pictures and videos. I just waiting for a funnel cloud to drop. Very scary.
Henny Penny, the sky is falling!!!

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#4 Apr 28, 2011
Resident wrote:
you certainly can't rely on local tv news for up to date information or warnings - I got better and more accurate reports from Baltimore and Frederick than anywhere the Adams/York area.
Don't agree. ABC 27 (channel 7 on Comcast) was only showing the weather between 5:30/6:00. WGAL was doing "okay."
August West

United States

#5 Apr 28, 2011
Perhaps you should move back to the promised land then.
Resident wrote:
you certainly can't rely on local tv news for up to date information or warnings - I got better and more accurate reports from Baltimore and Frederick than anywhere the Adams/York area.
Adams Countian

Woodbridge, VA

#6 Apr 28, 2011
For those of us who live in Adams County, there really isn't a great news source. Harrisburg stations focus on York/Lancaster/Harrisburg, and Adams County is rarely mentioned.

Take the big snow storms for example, the reporters were located in York, Lancaster, and Harrisburg, no one in or near the Gettysburg Vicinity. Sure, it's a small town, but makes up a large area..

I ended up driving through torrential downpours from Emmitsburg to Frederick on my way to work this morning..
wow

York, PA

#7 Apr 28, 2011
The new oxford fire siren went off this morning around 5, turns out it was a tornado warning. Might be a good idea to change the sound of the siren for this type of weather event. I layed in bed and cursed them for sounding it.
Hey wait

Camp Hill, PA

#8 Apr 28, 2011
So a great news source includes a reporter in your location? I think the local channels 8, 21, 27 which I flipped to all these channels between 5:15 and 6am and that was all they were covering. And yes Gettysburg area and Adams county were there main focal points during the first 20-30 minutes. I don't understand people, if the news truck isn't parked out front then their not covering the storm......????
Adams Countian wrote:
For those of us who live in Adams County, there really isn't a great news source. Harrisburg stations focus on York/Lancaster/Harrisburg, and Adams County is rarely mentioned.
Take the big snow storms for example, the reporters were located in York, Lancaster, and Harrisburg, no one in or near the Gettysburg Vicinity. Sure, it's a small town, but makes up a large area..
I ended up driving through torrential downpours from Emmitsburg to Frederick on my way to work this morning..
Adams Countian

Woodbridge, VA

#9 Apr 28, 2011
We had Maryland Shock Trauma practically come down next to our home on Easter day, in rural Adams County. I've been searching news websites for days, no mention of the incident.. It's as if it didn't happen..

Just about every time I watch the news on television, it's about violence in York/Harrisburg/Lancaster, both of which are not "local" to my area. And, maybe my definition of local is off, but if it takes me an hour to get somewhere, that is NOT local. Especially when it comes to the weather.
abc

Mechanicsburg, PA

#10 Apr 28, 2011
Hey wait wrote:
So a great news source includes a reporter in your location? I think the local channels 8, 21, 27 which I flipped to all these channels between 5:15 and 6am and that was all they were covering. And yes Gettysburg area and Adams county were there main focal points during the first 20-30 minutes. I don't understand people, if the news truck isn't parked out front then their not covering the storm......????
<quoted text>
THERE, THEIR, THEY'RE....Learn the difference and how to use them!
Jennifer from the Block

Chambersburg, PA

#11 Apr 28, 2011
Well our storm radio at work was a really blessing. It alerted us about the storm moving from Westminster into the Hanover area. Looking out my office window this morning was all I needed to see. Very very wild looking sky.
April showers

Germantown, MD

#12 Apr 28, 2011
Well I guess we can't blame Bush for this (but I am sure someone will!), so let's blame Obama and Al Qaeda!
SW Parent of two

Hanover, PA

#13 Apr 28, 2011
I am understanding what these people are saying though...most of us live and work in the Hanover area, there is NOT a news or TV station that carries "our" local weather and information. Not asking for a reporter to sit in front of my house and give a play by play description of what is happening but is it too much to ask for to have more local weather (other than the Weather Channel)????

Fox has York/Lancaster covered, WGAL has the Lancaster area, Channel 27 has the Harrisburg area covered....nothing for Hanover, Spring Grove and Gettysburg....
Irishtown resident

Perkiomenville, PA

#14 Apr 28, 2011
wow wrote:
The new oxford fire siren went off this morning around 5, turns out it was a tornado warning. Might be a good idea to change the sound of the siren for this type of weather event. I layed in bed and cursed them for sounding it.
Ours sounded too. I was told it is different from a normal siren. It should be something us normal folk can distinguish... I wouldn't have stayed in bed trying to ignore it had I known. Scary
Robin Hood

York, PA

#15 Apr 28, 2011
Adams Countian wrote:
For those of us who live in Adams County, there really isn't a great news source. Harrisburg stations focus on York/Lancaster/Harrisburg, and Adams County is rarely mentioned.
Take the big snow storms for example, the reporters were located in York, Lancaster, and Harrisburg, no one in or near the Gettysburg Vicinity. Sure, it's a small town, but makes up a large area..
I ended up driving through torrential downpours from Emmitsburg to Frederick on my way to work this morning..
I livr in Adams county. Why watch Harrisburg? Fox 43 and Channel 8 do great for adams county.
Robin Hood

York, PA

#16 Apr 28, 2011
wow wrote:
The new oxford fire siren went off this morning around 5, turns out it was a tornado warning. Might be a good idea to change the sound of the siren for this type of weather event. I layed in bed and cursed them for sounding it.
Well I hope the one in Abbottstown didnt go off! Hate to wake those transplanted Baltimorons before the tornado carrys them back south!No sirens!!! Thats why we have pagers! Too loud!
BB in SW

Baltimore, MD

#17 Apr 28, 2011
SW Parent of two wrote:
I am understanding what these people are saying though...most of us live and work in the Hanover area, there is NOT a news or TV station that carries "our" local weather and information. Not asking for a reporter to sit in front of my house and give a play by play description of what is happening but is it too much to ask for to have more local weather (other than the Weather Channel)????
Fox has York/Lancaster covered, WGAL has the Lancaster area, Channel 27 has the Harrisburg area covered....nothing for Hanover, Spring Grove and Gettysburg....
I absolutely agree. I like to follow the Baltimore news channels. Unfortunately, I am not able to even get the Baltimore stations on TV so I tend to look everything up on the Internet and the Baltimore stations seem to cover the south western area of York County much better than the "local" PA stations. Thank goodness for the internet, it's been a savior through these horrible storms of late.
joe

United States

#18 Apr 28, 2011
wow wrote:
The new oxford fire siren went off this morning around 5, turns out it was a tornado warning. Might be a good idea to change the sound of the siren for this type of weather event. I layed in bed and cursed them for sounding it.
It is a different sound if you listen. Its short siren with a constant tone. Sounds different than any other siren they dispatch.
Friend from the past

Spring Grove, PA

#19 Apr 28, 2011
I have lived in Hanover all my life, and for as long as I can remember my family, and now I, watch the MD news. They do seem to cover the weather better for storms. Day to day weather & news, PA stations do a decent job. Hanover is the lost area - for anything from news to funding to events -we are considered "York". I have 1st hand knowledge from involvement with local groups & events. And no, I am not a politcal figure in any way, shape or form.
Oh- and my rain gauge has 2 in. in it from today!
August West

United States

#20 Apr 28, 2011
Internet people! Weather.com , or even the local TV station web sites! You can look at the maps for yourself and see if any dark red blobs are on top of your house and if they are in the shape of a boomerang. If so, run for the basement! And don't any of you dopes say you don't have the Internet!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thomasville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Adams County man charged with sexually assaulti... Oct 27 Just a thought 4
Police: Former Bermudian Springs teacher arrest... Oct '14 Sara F 2
dover halloween parade 2014, sunday oct 5 at 3 pm! Oct '14 Halloweenie 2
Dover schools' child abuse policy raises questions Sep '14 divergebt 1
Estate Sale (Mar '06) Sep '14 Cindy 3
York County man headed to prison for role in ma... Jul '14 lady 1
Take Dad soaring over York County for Father's Day (Jun '11) Apr '12 Sam 2
Thomasville Dating
Find my Match

Thomasville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Thomasville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Thomasville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:52 am PST

NFL 8:52AM
When will Nick Foles return to play for Eagles?
Bleacher Report12:00 PM
Live: Eagles vs. Cowboys
Bleacher Report12:26 PM
Thanksgiving Highlights: Eagles vs. Cowboys
NBC Sports12:31 PM
Ten with Tafoya: Anquan Boldin
NBC Sports12:39 PM
Acho active for Eagles