Evening Sun - Helicopter crash report...

Evening Sun - Helicopter crash report just a drill

There are 13 comments on the Evening Sun story from Dec 20, 2007, titled Evening Sun - Helicopter crash report just a drill. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

It was about 9:30 a.m. Wednesday when a mayday distress call alerted Adams County emergency workers to the possibility of a downed helicopter in the area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

HSAD

United States

#1 Dec 20, 2007
Maybe an apology from STAT MedEvac for tying up multiple volunteer and tax-funded resources in this little fiasco would be in order?

Yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater and you can be criminally charged.....
Christina

Mansfield, OH

#2 Dec 20, 2007
An apology may be appropriate. I'm not disagreeing with that- but nothing is tax-funded as far at the fire companies go. Hampton and New Oxford Fire Companies do not tax their residents. Minimal monetary support comes from the municipalities. The fire companies rely on fundraisers,grants and non-profit ambulance services. Tax funding would however apply to the Adams County Communication Center. All in all, I think STAT MedEvac realizes already, and has already admitted to, doing wrong. Yes, better communication would have been nice for all.
O Me2

Reading, PA

#3 Dec 20, 2007
Does anyone realize the liability potential this caused??????????
Ben

Westminster, MD

#4 Dec 20, 2007
I think it was a good idea maybe more people should have known about it but it was a good training excercise. what are you supposed to do wait for an incident like 9/11 or should you prepare for the worst you never know what you will find at such an incident
Dan Meyers

Marysville, OH

#5 Dec 21, 2007
I beleive the management should be charged with filing false reports and recklessly endangering others. Hopefully, no one was injured, and these BOZOS' plan on making full restitution to the taxpayers and employers who allow thier employess to respond to emergency calls. Let's hear from the York and Adams County District Attorney offices on this fiasco.
Chris Riggs

Mountain Home, AR

#6 Dec 21, 2007
This was a BAD IDEA on the part of the higher ups at STAT, but as a person who makes a living doing air transport in the mid south it makes you feel good knowing that this area is ready for somthing such as this. Once again bad way to do the drill, but thanks to all the responders that take time out of their lives to help when the call comes in. We could not do our jobs in the air without those on the ground looking out for us
Johnny Gage

Saint Joseph, MO

#7 Dec 21, 2007
I work, not for STAT, but for another air medical transport orginization, and must say that our managerial team is just as likely to pull something like this. They feel no obligation to disclose their plans as such with the crews who actually DO the job. Those who can; do. Those who can not; administer.
Greg

Tuscaloosa, AL

#8 Dec 23, 2007
This is all the more reason to keep these clowns in Pittsburgh and stop their tyranny in trying to take over the Mid-Atlantic medevac program. Money grubbing pigs.
mee

Pittsburgh, PA

#9 Dec 29, 2007
What about when adams county calls stat for bull-shit scenes then canceles them 30min down the road? Why is it okay for them to do it? Also, this gave REAL time responses. Now stat knows exactly how long it could take to have help arrive. I agree, some should have been notified, but in the same aspect, i agree with how they did it.
KCB

United States

#10 Dec 29, 2007
It amuses me to see that nobody complains about all of the false calls and "I can't afford a cab so I'll use the local EMS" that plagues that area's EMS services. I likewise work for a flight service that does similar drills and it does make the events all the more 'real'. When you throw the word drill into any scenario, less response and less willingness to do what you would if you thought it was real. This proved that the agencies involved knew the right protocols and procedures and located the aircraft in minimal time - a testament not only to the FD and EMS agencies, but to the STAT Comm center and the Adams County Comm Center folks.
mee

Pittsburgh, PA

#11 Dec 31, 2007
Well Said!
KCB wrote:
It amuses me to see that nobody complains about all of the false calls and "I can't afford a cab so I'll use the local EMS" that plagues that area's EMS services. I likewise work for a flight service that does similar drills and it does make the events all the more 'real'. When you throw the word drill into any scenario, less response and less willingness to do what you would if you thought it was real. This proved that the agencies involved knew the right protocols and procedures and located the aircraft in minimal time - a testament not only to the FD and EMS agencies, but to the STAT Comm center and the Adams County Comm Center folks.
Been there done that

Suwanee, GA

#12 Jan 3, 2008
More reflection of the simple-minded mentality that perpetuates rural EMS.

Never looking for a way to do the real job better, but quick to bytch about how everyone else is doing their stuff. No objective discussion on how the response and communications went (which was more real-time and realistic than not), but how can we possibly get someone else in trouble.

Dear Greg...Stat is non-profit. They came to York because local healthcare systems were not being served properly by the other hospital-based program in the area and those healthcare systems asked them to move to York. Meanwhile, the real for-profits have since moved into Pennsylvania...yet folks criticize the not-for-profit?
MORRIS GRANT RN PARMEDIC

AOL

#13 Jan 10, 2008
Please go to NTSB web site and review the EMS-HELECOPTER Crash from October 20, 2004 and see what happens when you are not prepared for possible events then call the families of the dead men and tell them that you are so single- minded and self centered. You folks need to wake up. If yould would like to speak please email me [email protected]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thomasville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News evolution wars that culminated Jun 22 Nemesis 1
Love me anti aging cream reviews (Oct '16) May '17 Bucuh 2
News York victims of sexual assault struggle for peace (Apr '13) Mar '17 Struggleright 3
News To march or not? Some women are staying away be... Jan '17 SallyMarch 1
News Did colonial courthouse windows end up in the D... Jan '17 Gofigure 1
News Hanover man apologizes after fighting cop (Dec '16) Dec '16 Fitus T Bluster 1
News Lancaster County megachurch expands into York C... (Jul '10) Nov '16 Jeff 28

Thomasville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Thomasville Mortgages