Increased parking fines unpopular in ...

Increased parking fines unpopular in York

There are 54 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Mar 23, 2010, titled Increased parking fines unpopular in York. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Thomasville resident Stephen Barron and his brother circled the York County Judicial Center at least half a dozen times looking for a parking space Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
John Doe 000069

York, PA

#1 Mar 23, 2010
From what I understand this was put in Brenner's budget. When was that passed? Three months ago? Why don't they have the proper signage up or the proper markings on the curbs? What is a person suppose to do bring a tape measure along with them to make sure they are not parking too close to the intersection? I seen tickets issued because a vehicle is half an inch too close to the intersection.
4u2think

United States

#2 Mar 23, 2010
WOW, what a cash flow for vehicles double parked. What are the statistics of this one being enforced? Yes, sarcasm.
Common Sense

York, PA

#3 Mar 23, 2010
Let's do the math...If people can only park for a certain amount of time, and they abide by the expectations, there would be more turnover (more people being able to park there). This would mean that there could potentially be more customers, which would actually increase sales. I mean, all cities have parking guidelines and fines.
ORV

York, PA

#4 Mar 23, 2010
John Doe 000069 wrote:
From what I understand this was put in Brenner's budget. When was that passed? Three months ago? Why don't they have the proper signage up or the proper markings on the curbs? What is a person suppose to do bring a tape measure along with them to make sure they are not parking too close to the intersection? I seen tickets issued because a vehicle is half an inch too close to the intersection.
When u took drivers test u had to know the distance, maybe u need retested. I see double park all the time!!! Make um pay!!! If u dont know how to park take a bus!! U ARE A BUNCH OF CRY BABIES
not shocked

Olyphant, PA

#5 Mar 23, 2010
The city should take a few blocks in the area, level it and put in some more paid parking areas, they would receive more money that way for the run down areas that dont pay their taxes anyway
not shocked

Olyphant, PA

#6 Mar 23, 2010
John Doe 000069 wrote:
the sinage has finally been replaced on west mason ave, the signs are faded and some you cannot read the red no ring on them, but the signs are up. I am sure by state code they still are not acceptable signs for readability
So VERY Stupid

York, PA

#7 Mar 23, 2010
Soooooooo simple! Just obey the laws, whether you agree with them or not, and NO ONE will bother you.
Disobey the law and you're busted. What don't you understand about this process??? Parking IS a problem in ALL cities!!! I only go downtown to eliminate the Route 30 "Parking Lot"; zoom straight through and don't even look left or right.
Bill

York, PA

#8 Mar 23, 2010
ANOTHER crack pot idea from David Dietz, 38, of Hellam Township "What would be ideal would be more cooperation with area municipalities to share tax burdens," he said, adding that most York County residents aren't interested in that.”They want to have their cake and eat it, too."

Here is a question for Mr. Dietz. Why should the surrounding municipalities be forced to cover York City’s short fall in taxes? The people that don’t live in the city pay their taxes to the County and the municipalities they live in. There is NO REASON for other municipalities to have to cover another municipality’s or city’s short fall in tax revenue and bad budgeting practices.
city girl

Lancaster, PA

#9 Mar 23, 2010
So now that towing on street cleaning days is no longer in effect, our streets will never get cleaned.If 4 cars are left on a street the whole block doesnt get cleaned, because the sweeper wont weave in and out around them.It was working and now they had to break it. Whose idea was that/???
The Drama Continues

York, PA

#10 Mar 23, 2010
Here is the law for those who are ignorant of them.

Stop Signs....must be 30 ft away.

Intersections/Crosswalks 20 ft

Fire Hydrants 15 ft on either side.

These have been part of the state law for a LONG time. Park legal or pay up. The choiceis yours.

jess

York, PA

#11 Mar 23, 2010
when I left for work this morning at 7:30, 13 people on my block had tickets for street sweeping. at $50 a piece.$650.
sure, i think the fines are a little excessive. but we get home from work on street sweeping days, park, and don't leave again until morning. just have to make it work!
Hominy n Grits

Wrightsville, PA

#12 Mar 23, 2010
Hey; nobody likes tickets, but most folks only need to get busted one time to wake up to the fact that 'The Law IS The Law'!

If ex-mayor John B. had come up with increasing these fines several years ago he could have stayed on as mayor and some of the firemen and police officers that lost their jobs due to budget cuts would still be employed by the city.

Donald Kline

York, PA

#13 Mar 23, 2010
get a skate board when you go down town. then carry it
with you. there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Nevin

San Jos, Costa Rica

#14 Mar 23, 2010
Bill wrote:
ANOTHER crack pot idea from David Dietz, 38, of Hellam Township "What would be ideal would be more cooperation with area municipalities to share tax burdens," he said, adding that most York County residents aren't interested in that.”They want to have their cake and eat it, too."
Here is a question for Mr. Dietz. Why should the surrounding municipalities be forced to cover York City’s short fall in taxes? The people that don’t live in the city pay their taxes to the County and the municipalities they live in. There is NO REASON for other municipalities to have to cover another municipality’s or city’s short fall in tax revenue and bad budgeting practices.
The big picture is as the center city of a community deteriates so does the surroundig areas. The city supports the poor and old who need public trasportation and sevices the city provides these people add little to the tax base of a city. Also the city has a lot of churches and charitable organizations who pay little or no taxes. Taxes pay for police and the crime radiates to outside the city. I think Mr. Dietz has made a very valuable comment and the county should do some research. There have been studies that have shown this to be valid.
suburban gal

United States

#15 Mar 23, 2010
At one time I loved to shop at central market but have not spent one dime in York in the last 10 years. I take great pride in that.
Ron in York

Harleysville, PA

#16 Mar 24, 2010
I actually think it's wonderful.... I have lived downtown for quite sometime, pay for parking stickers for 3 vehicles, and on my block (300 W. Market St.) alot of people do not move for street cleaning (even half through the sweeping season) and another big problem is the inconsiderate people who constantly double park over meters...Me?...I'd loved it if they towed everyone who can not abide the parking laws...by the way we have abusiness at Farmer's Market and rarely anyone complains about parking...like the one gentleman said, if you have a good business they will find the parking and come.
Bill

York, PA

#17 Mar 24, 2010
Nevin wrote:
<quoted text> The big picture is as the center city of a community deteriates so does the surroundig areas. The city supports the poor and old who need public trasportation and sevices the city provides these people add little to the tax base of a city. Also the city has a lot of churches and charitable organizations who pay little or no taxes. Taxes pay for police and the crime radiates to outside the city. I think Mr. Dietz has made a very valuable comment and the county should do some research. There have been studies that have shown this to be valid.
Hey Nevin if the IDIOTS running the city would stop giving tax breaks to all of their buddies doing projects in the city like the baseball stadium, the Northeast Triangle Project, the Pfaltzgraff building and every other project they would have tax money coming in. The city is losing MILLIONS of tax dollars by giving these FOR PROFFIT COMPANIES tax exempt status for 10 to 12 years.

There is no reason to force the people that live outside the city to force them to help make up the short fall in the lost tax money. Everyone of the projects I listed is a FOR PROFIT project and should NOT be tax exempt.

Just wait and see how fast the Pfaltgraff building starts to empty next year when all the businesses tax exempt status starts to end. They all will leave in a hurry then. Who do you think will be paying for the empty stadium when it closes? The Atlantic league said they were having financial trouble last year just wait for it to collapse and the residents of the city and county will get screwed once again.
Good cops Good work

United States

#18 Mar 24, 2010
I want to know whether the person going to the courthouse even considered parking in the Philadelphia Street garage that is located only 1/2 block away. Or maybe that's too far??
commie

Felton, PA

#19 Mar 24, 2010
Fat, lazy York Countians, if you can't park right in front of your store you [email protected] You don't want a ticket? Don't park by a hydrant or in a handicap spot. The City isn't getting money off of this because most people won't even pay the fine.
Not to mention that there are parking garages with 100s of spaces available at any given time, within a few minutes walk of almost any destination in the downtown area. But it goes right back to the need for immediate gratification and being lazy. I understand some people are physically challegend, well they could have their spots if the other morons weren't parking there how do you get the morons out of those spaces? Raise the fines?! Someone needs to mark this as brilliant!
anonymoose

York, PA

#20 Mar 24, 2010
Common Sense wrote:
Let's do the math...If people can only park for a certain amount of time, and they abide by the expectations, there would be more turnover (more people being able to park there). This would mean that there could potentially be more customers, which would actually increase sales. I mean, all cities have parking guidelines and fines.
Thank You! Somebody actually gets it. Plus there are 4 parking garages downtown within a 4 square block radius. That means one should only have to walk at the most 2 blocks to get to most places in the center of the city, which is where the complaints are from.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thomasville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Love me anti aging cream reviews (Oct '16) May 19 Bucuh 2
News York victims of sexual assault struggle for peace (Apr '13) Mar '17 Struggleright 3
News To march or not? Some women are staying away be... Jan '17 SallyMarch 1
News Did colonial courthouse windows end up in the D... Jan '17 Gofigure 1
News Hanover man apologizes after fighting cop Dec '16 Fitus T Bluster 1
News Lancaster County megachurch expands into York C... (Jul '10) Nov '16 Jeff 28
Is Testerone XL good for building muscle? (Oct '16) Oct '16 Nerie 1

Thomasville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Thomasville Mortgages