Recession hits York County's Catholic...

Recession hits York County's Catholic schools

There are 27 comments on the York Dispatch story from Feb 2, 2010, titled Recession hits York County's Catholic schools. In it, York Dispatch reports that:

AND ANDREW SHAW The recession is likely the culprit behind a 500-student decrease in Catholic school enrollment in the area, according to a spokesman with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Harrisburg.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at York Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bro1856

Cockeysville, MD

#29 Feb 4, 2010
Really wrote:
Yes, a good early start is important. But that still doesn't take away the fact that a private elementary and private high school alone doesn't make you a better job candidate in the real world. Still doesn't take away the fact that having a high school diploma from a private high school makes you no better than a good student at a public high school in terms of the real world. Parents can want all they wanbt from their kids, but in the end, it comes down to what the kid puts into it. You're not condemning a child because you aren't putting them in a private elementary school, you would be surprised how the subjects they are learning are very similar. It's more impressive coming from a public school because it shows the child doesn't need extra attention, they can thrive in a real world environment.
I agree to a point with you. Yes, what a kid gets out of education is what they put into it- but what motivates them? Answer- Involved parents who work with them and teachers who have the time to teach and work more with the child.

Yes, subjects are similar- they are all state mandated minimums. What I see, on the whole though, is a rush to teach only the minimums in a public school. The private school my child attends has provided a more personal and, IMO deeper, education on the subjects.

I go back to an original point. If public schools functioned more like private schools both fiscally and educationally, then they would be better for the child and taxpayer. Unfortunately, we have too much governmental involvement and union interference to get anything done at this time.
Really

Hanover, PA

#30 Feb 4, 2010
Again the education is what the child makes of it. Where does the motivation come from? Well in high school it should come from the teens themselves. Seriously, a kid could go to a private elementary and then not care at all in high school, which is more important. Anybody in high school that needs mommy and daddy to push them to do work is in serious trouble or atleast in for a rude awakening in college.
FoS

Fitchburg, MA

#31 Feb 4, 2010
"Women and Minorities hit hardest..." Victims.
Bro1856

Cockeysville, MD

#32 Feb 5, 2010
Really wrote:
Again the education is what the child makes of it. Where does the motivation come from? Well in high school it should come from the teens themselves. Seriously, a kid could go to a private elementary and then not care at all in high school, which is more important. Anybody in high school that needs mommy and daddy to push them to do work is in serious trouble or atleast in for a rude awakening in college.
Children need to be motivated (sounds to me like you are saying that once the kid gets into school the parents have no need or business to push them to learn- pretty apathetic if so). Otherwise, they sit in front of a TV and do nothing. The parents need to take a more active role. Any parent that doesn't give a good kick in the pants to their children (regardless of school age) is a lousy parent. Be active, be involved, and lead by example.

Both levels of schooling are important. In elementary, you are supposed to get the basics. Without them, you are lost when you get to a high school. In HS, you build on those with the hope of being a productive member of society. Just as important.
Real concern

Hanover, PA

#33 Feb 5, 2010
Bro1856 wrote:
<quoted text>
Children need to be motivated (sounds to me like you are saying that once the kid gets into school the parents have no need or business to push them to learn- pretty apathetic if so). Otherwise, they sit in front of a TV and do nothing. The parents need to take a more active role. Any parent that doesn't give a good kick in the pants to their children (regardless of school age) is a lousy parent. Be active, be involved, and lead by example.
Both levels of schooling are important. In elementary, you are supposed to get the basics. Without them, you are lost when you get to a high school. In HS, you build on those with the hope of being a productive member of society. Just as important.
High school is what counts for colleges. I'm not saying a parent shouldn't be concerned with their teen's work, I'm saying if the teen needs their mommy and daddy to motivate them and make sure they hand their papers in when they are in 11th and 12th grade, that is pathetic and they are in for a rude awakening in life. You can't disagree with me their. You can't disagree that is is ultimately up to what the child makes of their education in high school and their own personal drive. Bottom line, graduating from a private high school doesn't make you more successful in life. It is the drive of the student no matter what setting they are in.
Bro1856

Cockeysville, MD

#34 Feb 5, 2010
Real concern wrote:
<quoted text>
High school is what counts for colleges. I'm not saying a parent shouldn't be concerned with their teen's work, I'm saying if the teen needs their mommy and daddy to motivate them and make sure they hand their papers in when they are in 11th and 12th grade, that is pathetic and they are in for a rude awakening in life. You can't disagree with me their. You can't disagree that is is ultimately up to what the child makes of their education in high school and their own personal drive. Bottom line, graduating from a private high school doesn't make you more successful in life. It is the drive of the student no matter what setting they are in.
High school is what counts for colleges- true. But, elementary education is one thing that determines your success in HS.

I agree that by 11th and 12th grades, the students should know better. I just believe, once again my opinion, that parents still have a responsibility to make sure that their child is motivated. example- When my son is 17 and has a license, if he comes home with a "D" or lower, he will lose his license until the grades come up. It's a sacrifice for me (I would be his driver) but it's also a major issue for my child. The fear of losing something is motivation AND an excellent, though not permanent detrimental example of what could happen in life if he does not meet expectations.

It will be the drive of my child to succeed and to do his best- if only to avoid losing privileges
Really

Hanover, PA

#35 Feb 5, 2010
Again, you sound like you are a great parent and I believe it is fine for parents to be concerned and want to motivate their kids. But no matter what you do, it all still comes down to the kid. They need to figure out what they need to do to succeed.

You could get a bad start in elementary and still do well in high school though and vice versa.

Anyways, to the original point, going to a private high school won't make a huge difference in the real world. Certainly not enough to assume your child will be the boss of everyone just because they went to private school. As we both agreed, it doesn't even matter to what college you went to in most cases.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thomasville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 12-time DUI repeater gets up to 7 years in prison (Sep '08) Apr 30 Trista Biddle 23
Rachel Caltrider????? Mar '15 Just looking 1
News Police: Pair robbed Rutter's (Jan '10) Feb '15 anonymous 52
Cumberland Valley Farms ??? (Oct '08) Feb '15 Anonymous 5
News Police talk about ways to deter home burglaries Feb '15 Just a thought 4
great site recipes Feb '15 marilyn 2
News Take Dad soaring over York County for Father's Day (Jun '11) Apr '12 Sam 2
More from around the web

Thomasville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]