Woman Accused of Embezzling $186,000 from Church

Full story: Fox 8 WGHP
THOMASVILLE, N.C. 242-6701 - A former employee at a Thomasville church is accused of embezzling $186,000. Kathy Koonts Sechriest, 53, of 206 Hasty School Road, is charged with embezzling money from Zion United Church of Christ in Thomasville. Full Story
Unknown

Greensboro, NC

#1 Jul 1, 2010
Oh my......
john in High Point

AOL

#2 Jul 1, 2010
This so called christian should be put in jail for 25 years. Persons put into office at Gods house must set standards very high. I know the preacher is at a loss of words but I would like to hear his account,
Unknown

Greensboro, NC

#3 Jul 1, 2010
OK so this may surprise a few of you but Christians sin too. Christians aren't supposed to take other Christians to court, either but the fact still remains is she a Christian? She was entrusted with this money and failed. What internal controls were being used to prevent this very thing from happening? She's not the only one that failed here. It says she is a former employee - never says she is a Christian or a member of this church. Is she repentant or simply caught? What a very sad display of Christianity.
HPU Grad

Yadkinville, NC

#4 Jul 1, 2010
Unknown wrote:
OK so this may surprise a few of you but Christians sin too. Christians aren't supposed to take other Christians to court, either but the fact still remains is she a Christian? She was entrusted with this money and failed. What internal controls were being used to prevent this very thing from happening? She's not the only one that failed here. It says she is a former employee - never says she is a Christian or a member of this church. Is she repentant or simply caught? What a very sad display of Christianity.
Unknown,

No suprise here. Here is my post from the other thread on this topic:

You asked the right questions, Most churches don't take in $186,000 per year. She had to have been taking money over a long period of time.

Also, most churches have Finance Committees reviewing and approving expenditures and most demoninations require that an audit of the financial books, review of the bank account statements for the year be done, independent counting of all money collected before being given the the treasurer for deposit at the bank each week or collection period.

It is apparent that this church did not have proper accounting procedures with checks and balances in place. This was the "In God We Trust" method of accounting. Obviously no internal controls were in place at this church. Where was the pastor during all this goings on?

HPU Grad

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thomasville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I am looking for the best divorce attorney I ca... (Aug '13) Feb 27 jordennancy23 9
Anti-White abuses in our town Feb 26 Stop Racism 2
Head Branch Champion Feb 23 The TRUTH 20
Stupid Shopper Behavior Feb 22 Idiot Shoppers 1
Germanton Pastor, Child Predator (Feb '10) Feb 20 Yeti 5
Select Homes Property Management Company (Jul '14) Feb 19 kurtcooksalot16 4
Continuing Education Feb 17 michie 1
Thomasville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Thomasville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance