11-Year-Old Thomaston Girl Thwarts Bu...

11-Year-Old Thomaston Girl Thwarts Burglary Try

There are 54 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Nov 21, 2008, titled 11-Year-Old Thomaston Girl Thwarts Burglary Try. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Within an hour of the girl's call Wednesday, police tracked down Robert Pelkey, who they said had jewelry and a gun he stole from other burglaries in town the same day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Chewbone

United States

#1 Nov 21, 2008
Shouldn't they press charges against this woman for putting her daughter in this situation? If it was her father that left her home alone, dont' you think that some idiots would try their damdest to find some way to take this child out of a dangerous home? I'm glad no one was hurt and that the clown was caught, but why isn't the DCF smashing down their door and stealing this child from her family for negligence on her mothers part. A chilling aspect indeed.
Concerned Citizen

Old Saybrook, CT

#2 Nov 21, 2008
Awww Chewbone, give it a break. Were you never left alone at that age? Insteading of finding fault, give a prayer that this all turned out so well for this little girl and her mother.
As for the guy that tired to get in, why don't you take all of your anger and put it towards changing laws that will keep people like Pelletier in prison for longer than a few months. That would be far more useful, than going after the mother. Everyone should be able to feel safe in their own homes.
Chewbone

United States

#4 Nov 21, 2008
Concerned Citizen wrote:
Awww Chewbone, give it a break. Were you never left alone at that age? Insteading of finding fault, give a prayer that this all turned out so well for this little girl and her mother.
As for the guy that tired to get in, why don't you take all of your anger and put it towards changing laws that will keep people like Pelletier in prison for longer than a few months. That would be far more useful, than going after the mother. Everyone should be able to feel safe in their own homes.
Sorry for offending, but my tone was purely sarcastic and aimed at the flawed policies of certain groups run amuck. I am truly glad it turned out the way it did, and yes I was left alone at home at 11. And that was before someone had to tell my parents to lock up their booze and guns, a matter that my RESPONSIBLE parents took upon themselves.
Jessi

Naugatuck, CT

#5 Nov 21, 2008
correct me if i'm wrong, but in the state on connecticut isn't a child not supposed to be left home alone before the age of twelve? so, technically, the mother was breaking the law. and i definitely think that she should have to pay some kind of price for that.
Hey now

Warren, NJ

#7 Nov 21, 2008
specify at what age a child may be left home alone. When deciding whether or not to leave a child home alone, a parent should consider the child's age. Many experts believe that a children should be at least 12 years of age before they are allowed to stay home alone. Experts also believe that children should be over the age of 15 before caring for a younger sibling.

Taken fron Blumethauls web page.
CPC

Warren, NJ

#8 Nov 21, 2008
Jessi wrote:
correct me if i'm wrong, but in the state on connecticut isn't a child not supposed to be left home alone before the age of twelve? so, technically, the mother was breaking the law. and i definitely think that she should have to pay some kind of price for that.
CT doesn't specify the age a child can be left home alone.
Hey now

Warren, NJ

#9 Nov 21, 2008
Woops, didnt paste enough. Ct has no law on specific age.

“Miss LMHtfd”

Since: May 08

Hartford, CT

#10 Nov 21, 2008
If a child isn't old enough to recognize a dangerous situation they are probably not old enough to be left home for significant amounts of time. If someone is trying to break in to the home the child's first response should be to call 911 -- Mom or Dad should be called _after_. Time is precious in this type of situation. Calling Mom or Dad to say, for example, "I think I smell smoke" could be the difference between life and death. So could doing so for a potential home invasion.

A seven-year-old left for a few minutes while a parent goes to the store, an eleven-year-old used to being home alone for a few hours at a time might go either way, and an older child may respond differently to the same situation. It's up to each parent to determine for themselves the maturity of their child and when it is appropriate to leave them home alone, but the children should be taught (and drilled in) various dangerous scenarios and how to respond appropriately before doing so.
Hick Mish

United States

#11 Nov 22, 2008
So I'm on of his best friends and just so you all know he's not like that at all...he would never harm a little girl and I know she must have been scared to death to find someone breaking into her home ,but she should NOT have been alone..that doesn't justify what rob did at all and I'm not trying to but shit talking isn't going to change anything at all and it's deffinatly not going to ease the hearts of his friends and family knowing he's already going away for a long time this isn't all about the little girl think for one second about why he did what he did put yourself in his shoes for a minute and say you wouldnt act out in violence,danger,do something completely stupid not knowing how it would effect you and everyone around you......take a second to realize drunken actions ..sleepless nights..its all a factor...not its not an excuse its NOT going to make things ok....walk a mile in someone elses shoes for a day and then open up your mind to the fact that you might make a mistake too.
Sister Stokes

East Northport, NY

#12 Nov 23, 2008
free robert pelkey!
L squad assemble

Ann Arbor, MI

#13 Nov 23, 2008
first off i'm another friend of pelk's too. i'm blaming a 100% on the booze this time. I'm kinda sick of ppl who live in new york and chesire and ever where else in gods green earth tellin me they know what he was up 2 how we was comin in knowin some little girl was home....im pretty sure he hit the dip when she screamed....Hes just been being stupid lately hes one of the more polite people i kno and would normally give u a shirt off his back...or at least a cig...but for real u dont know him dont talk about him... im pretty sure hes sittin in lock up right now thinkin WTF was i thinkin never shoulda done it it was a mistake he knows it we all kno it so sm**l D**k to u all - Joker.
u kno it

Ann Arbor, MI

#14 Nov 23, 2008
FREE VINYARD
Sister Stokes

East Northport, NY

#15 Nov 23, 2008
Like I said before.
Free Robert Pelkey.
He doesn't deserve this.
doesnt matter

Andover, CT

#16 Nov 24, 2008
the "clown" that did this is my friend and he has a serious problem with alchohal. he didnt hurt anybody and i know the only reason he took these items was because he was so drunk he didnt know what he was doing...he would have woken up the next morning wondering where in the hell he got a gun and jewelry. he should be in rehab not jail he is sick not a hardened criminal. Nobody wants to figure peoples problems out they just say go to jail not lets try to help this unfortunate soul. w/e you people should be blogging less and living more!
CPC

Warren, NJ

#17 Nov 24, 2008
Nope! Sorry! Throw the clown in the slammer! An alcohol problem is no excuse to let him free. Many criminals have some type of substance abuse issue.
Chelsea Burns

Willimantic, CT

#18 Nov 24, 2008
Pelkey should be in rehab not jail...
he would've never hurt anyone he just lost his mind cause of some serious alcohol abuse. He needs to detox and stay off the booze for a longgg time, and start hanging out with healthier-minded people
Sometimes life eats people up and they fuck it up with substances. ive done it. Pelkey is good at the core anyone that knows him would say that

Love ya pelk
What

Milldale, CT

#19 Nov 25, 2008
Yeah, I'm sure he's a great guy - who breaks into peoples house and steals their stuff. Keep making excuses for him, I'm sure that is helping him.

Do the crime - do the time.
Mozey

Bronx, NY

#20 Nov 25, 2008
its not an excuse u just dont know him...lets say ur best friend got really drunk and did all this....would u still hate..even tho they would never do anything like this normally...when i heard the news i was like what the hell was goin on in his head this is pretty uncharacteristic..but i've been telling him that he needs to stop drinkin i told him i was gunna give him an intervention but unfortunately he gave himself one...i just think u guys r just profiling him from what he did with 1 hour of his life u gotta remember theres 22 other years in there but its not like u guys care to know that side u already have ur mind made up..i think he needs to do some time but what hes gunna get isnt right...hes not gunna be home for a while and ill miss him
CPC

Warren, NJ

#21 Nov 25, 2008
Mozey wrote:
its not an excuse u just dont know him...lets say ur best friend got really drunk and did all this....would u still hate..even tho they would never do anything like this normally...when i heard the news i was like what the hell was goin on in his head this is pretty uncharacteristic..but i've been telling him that he needs to stop drinkin i told him i was gunna give him an intervention but unfortunately he gave himself one...i just think u guys r just profiling him from what he did with 1 hour of his life u gotta remember theres 22 other years in there but its not like u guys care to know that side u already have ur mind made up..i think he needs to do some time but what hes gunna get isnt right...hes not gunna be home for a while and ill miss him
Keep better friends. I'm sure he has prior run ins with the law.

Trust me, you're not going to find much sympathy from other posters on this guy.
GPK

Decatur, GA

#22 Nov 30, 2008
Sorry, I don't buy the excuses you are making for this guy. He is lucky. If it was my house and I was there, he would be dead not in jail. That's the risk you take for breaking and entering.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thomaston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Harriet Beecher Stowe Jan 9 dave 1
News State Police Detectives Investigate Thomaston P... (Jul '16) Dec '16 Whaaaat 3
David Van Wagner? Sep '16 Essie 1
Does anybody know... (Mar '16) Jun '16 Stephanie 2
going to get dealers busted (Nov '15) May '16 Booby boo 2
News School Seeking to Expel 2 Over Menacing Costumes (Nov '15) Dec '15 Riverbank resident 2
News Controversy follows inquiry into student arrests (Nov '15) Nov '15 Drop the charges 1

Thomaston Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Thomaston Mortgages