Minnesota education officials vie for stimulus money

Minnesota's quest for "Race to the Top" stimulus dollars for education is shaping up to be a relay. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
really

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Oct 26, 2009
poor more money into a failing system. we spend more per student than the top 10 countries in education yet we get a substandard product. the quality has deteriorated on at a rate equal to the growth of the union influence in the education system
Leap Frog

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Oct 26, 2009
Never enough $$$, And People will continue to support more spending on Education with out knowing exactly how much is being wasted on it now.
Hittler once declared: Tell the People its for the Children and the People will do anything, like jump in a Box Car to take a Shower. Education Minnesota is a SCAM!

Since: Aug 09

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Oct 26, 2009
Like hogs lining up at the trough to get scraps...
Joe Taxpayer

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Oct 26, 2009
You will NEVER change the waste of $$$ funneled into the public school system...until you get rid of all these bleeding heart politicians thinking that more $$$ is the answer...cutting the funding in 1/2 is the only answer
Joe Taxpayer

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Oct 26, 2009
and where do they think this money is going to come from...their imaginary money tree

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#6 Oct 26, 2009
While Ms. Seagren is an appointee of King Timmy, she is doing a good job of soliciting new ideas to help our children.

Why aren't all department heads for the State going around to the stakeholders they deal with like our Education Commissioner is doing?
JimW

Mankato, MN

#7 Oct 26, 2009
Why pour more money into a broken system. 1/2 of my state income tax goes to public education. 1/3 of my residential property tax goes to my public school system. 1/3 of my Catholic church support goes to Catholic Schools. With all this money being poured into our educational system, is it working?
No!...Look around you. People are getting dumber!
John

Maple Grove, MN

#8 Oct 26, 2009
Hogs tend to do that when the feeding trough is too small.

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Oct 26, 2009
John wrote:
Hogs tend to do that when the feeding trough is too small.
LOL...the trough in MN has been an all-you-can-spend buffet for far too long. You are obviously a product of the system...simple concepts like cause and effect go clear over your head.
wtf

United States

#10 Oct 26, 2009
Why don't educators just tell the truth?

Where are they really going to WASTE this stimulus money? They are NOT going to spend much of it on anything to help give students a better education.

How stupid do they really think the public is?
Bob

Hastings, MN

#11 Oct 26, 2009
Until the teachers are no longer union nothing will change. They can hide behind there union and don't have to be held accountable. All that does is promote lazy teachers that get paid the same no matter what. Unions need to go.
Porkulus

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Oct 26, 2009
White House Rejects Stimulus Jobs Math

http://www.aim.org/don-irvine-blog/w.h.-rejec...

The White House rejected figures that showed each stimulus job cost the taxpayers $72,408 each.

From ABC News' Jake Tapper

Five hundred billion dollars in stimulus monies for spending were appropriated last February. Of that,$143 billion in stimulus funds have been spent so far.

Read more at aim.org ...

----------

Important to note that the money is a one-time-use situation. I have not heard of any Stimulus money generating a job that will be self-sustaining. It's all "build a hiking trail", "patch a pothole", "create a web site" stuff.
At the end of all this, billions of dollars will have been spent, the jobs will fizzle out, and the economy will contract because no genuine growth has been achieved.

Complete boondoggle.
Joe Taxpayer

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Oct 27, 2009
whats kind of funny...is that school district's have ALREADY received stimulus $$$...& the QComp system...the teachers are involved with making the decision on who receives a bonus...COME ON!!!
tww

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Oct 27, 2009
Where are all those jobs Obama promised?

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Oct 27, 2009
Bob wrote:
Until the teachers are no longer union nothing will change. They can hide behind there union and don't have to be held accountable. All that does is promote lazy teachers that get paid the same no matter what. Unions need to go.
I am about an anti-union as it gets, but in the case of education, I just can't put the blame on them (at least entirely). If even one kid in a class learns the material, then the teacher did their job correctly. This isn't building cars...there has to be effort on the other side of the desk. The school administrators have caused this through stupid administrative positions that add nothing to the education process, feel-good spending, and mainstreaming of kids that don't have the basic skills to succeed.
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Oct 27, 2009
Incredible70 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am about an anti-union as it gets, but in the case of education, I just can't put the blame on them (at least entirely). If even one kid in a class learns the material, then the teacher did their job correctly. This isn't building cars...there has to be effort on the other side of the desk. The school administrators have caused this through stupid administrative positions that add nothing to the education process, feel-good spending, and mainstreaming of kids that don't have the basic skills to succeed.
But the point is, even as enrollments are declining and school buildings are being boarded up as a result, the budget continues to rise year after year to cover the huge costs of the union contracts that have guaranteed early and generous retirement and health insurance benefits.

In 30 years when virtually all responsible parents have taken their kids out of public schools the budget will STILL be rising by double-digits because of the costs of the union contracts.

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Oct 27, 2009
Bob the Bilderberg wrote:
<quoted text>
But the point is, even as enrollments are declining and school buildings are being boarded up as a result, the budget continues to rise year after year to cover the huge costs of the union contracts that have guaranteed early and generous retirement and health insurance benefits.
In 30 years when virtually all responsible parents have taken their kids out of public schools the budget will STILL be rising by double-digits because of the costs of the union contracts.
Agreed. But you have to admit that this is far larger than just the union contracts. This money eating monster will never be satisfied, because for every expense they make up today (busing kids, busing them out, diversity training, ESL, etc) then they get funding for, they will make up 3 more next year and demand funding again.
jimmythegreek

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Oct 27, 2009
it isn't the cost of "Union" contracts, although the budget(s) are more than 50% for teachers salaries, its the Administrators spending priorities that hold the taxpayers hostage...just ask your local school board
really

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Oct 27, 2009
IrishMN wrote:
While Ms. Seagren is an appointee of King Timmy, she is doing a good job of soliciting new ideas to help our children.
Why aren't all department heads for the State going around to the stakeholders they deal with like our Education Commissioner is doing?
this person is really bill salisbury who writes for the pioneer press. he used to write under the name dam -rethuglican. he can and will have post of his and others pulled so be careful to not listen to this hack

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#20 Oct 29, 2009
really wrote:
<quoted text>this person is really bill salisbury who writes for the pioneer press. he used to write under the name dam -rethuglican. he can and will have post of his and others pulled so be careful to not listen to this hack
Really? WRONG!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thief River Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Minnesota utilites commission advances expansio... Sep '14 Sylvia 1
Concerning a citzien in thief river falls Reggi... Sep '14 Donald l hall 1
Debate: Election Poll, June 2012 - Thief River Falls, MN (Jun '12) Jun '14 rocky hall 4
All 2,000 Thief River Falls Students Get A New ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 someonesmakingmoney 1
Dead man's Trail (Mar '06) Dec '12 Help 16
American Crystal Lockout (May '12) May '12 Jack 2
TRF man sentenced for ambush assault (May '12) May '12 Pangaea 2

Thief River Falls People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Thief River Falls News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Thief River Falls

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]