Wal-Mart not sole focus of meeting

Wal-Mart not sole focus of meeting

There are 66 comments on the The Mobile Register Online story from Jan 27, 2006, titled Wal-Mart not sole focus of meeting. In it, The Mobile Register Online reports that:

In the two months since Wal-Mart applied for a building permit just outside Fairhope's city limits, a local groundswell of protest has risen and city leaders have been facing increasing criticism over future ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Mobile Register Online.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Lester Keith

Poplarville, MS

#1 Jan 29, 2006
with a shortage of gas and a price most people can not afford, we need another store with good pricing.Most all people that use Wal Mart, in Foley and Daphne,Will be pleased to travel less miles and have more money to buy the needed things.
Audrey Laird

United States

#2 Jan 31, 2006
Lester Keith wrote:
with a shortage of gas and a price most people can not afford, we need another store with good pricing.Most all people that use Wal Mart, in Foley and Daphne,Will be pleased to travel less miles and have more money to buy the needed things.
Fairhope is a wonderful beautiful place I am afraid that a Wal-Mart Store would destroy the Downtown area with all its nice shops and Village atmosphere. If people in this area need to go to a Wal-Mart they have Daphne-Foley-or Gulf Shores. Everything should not be about money.
fox20thc

Rotherham, UK

#3 Feb 1, 2006
Lester Keith wrote:
with a shortage of gas and a price most people can not afford, we need another store with good pricing.
Woah, hang on a minute. How much is gas in the states? A gallon of petrol in the uk is retailing at approx $3.30 (at todays exchange rate) so please don't say 'gas' is expensive.
RedNeckSnook

UK

#4 Feb 1, 2006
Actually, more like $12 a Gallon isn't it? Are you thinking of litres?
fox20thc

Rotherham, UK

#5 Feb 1, 2006
RedNeckSnook wrote:
Actually, more like $12 a Gallon isn't it? Are you thinking of litres?
You are ofcourse correct, I was thinking of litres.:)
Imangttia

United States

#6 Feb 1, 2006
If the folks in Fairhope really want to continue to travel to Foley or Gulf Shores to a WalMart to get tons of everyday items at good prices (including groceries)and don't mind the time and $5.00+ cost of gas for the round trip to do so, then vote WalMart down. I can't really see how WalMart is going to hurt the great shops with unique and quality items that Fairhope has that WalMart does not sell and has no interest in selling. I am fortunate to live close to a WalMart and would really hate it if I had to travel a long way to get to one or do without one entirely. Regardles of your decision, I will still travel to Fairhope to get the upscale items that your small and wonderful shops offer.
Cameron Lewis

Mobile, AL

#8 Feb 8, 2006
Lester Keith wrote:
damn right
don

Bon Secour, AL

#9 Feb 13, 2006
why cant we just get along
Holly_S Fairhope AL

United States

#10 Feb 18, 2006
I live in Fairhope and have to travel to Foley and Daphne for Wal-mart items, which most cannot be found in Fairhope. The people that can pay $100 for a pair of pants will not shop at Wa-mart here in Fairhope anyway. There are plenty of families on budgets that welcome Wal-mart here, as well as the job opportunities that will come our way. There is a large divide between the haves and have-nots in Fairhope and it is getting worse... Welcome to Fairhope, Wal-mart!
Holly_S Fairhope AL

United States

#11 Feb 18, 2006
I would also like to talk to Jerry O'Brien the Engineer with Wal-mart and start petitions FOR Wal-mart in Fairhope...c'mon, even poor people have a voice in this country, and some of us even have computers!!!
Greg

Duluth, GA

#12 Feb 28, 2006
I'm from Atlanta and there are Walmarts all around, but, not, in the Nicer areas of town.... Fairhope is one of the Last Places you folks would want a BIG BOX, it will take away the areas charm and Character. Consider this; If you vote for it, you open the door for the other BIG CHAIN BOXES to move in.... and what follows. Put it 10 to 15 minutes down the road. Appreciate what you people have, there are few Choice places left to live and visit like Fairhope.
My wife and family wished we lived there!
Greg

Duluth, GA

#13 Feb 28, 2006
By the way, we shop at Walmart and the other Big Boxes, but, I'd rather drive a few extra minutes....
Imangttia

United States

#15 Mar 1, 2006
How will they (Walmart and Home Depot) hurt stores like Fairhope Hardware? Will they offer cheaper prices? Will they offer a bigger selection of products? Will they offer better service?--well maybe and maybe not but, if enough people think that stores like Fairhope Hardware are still the best show in town, then the fabric of the community will remain intact.
Martin Weeks

Garner, NC

#16 Mar 3, 2006
Audrey Laird wrote:
<quoted text>
Fairhope is a wonderful beautiful place I am afraid that a Wal-Mart Store would destroy the Downtown area with all its nice shops and Village atmosphere. If people in this area need to go to a Wal-Mart they have Daphne-Foley-or Gulf Shores. Everything should not be about money.
You must be one of the fat cats! I bet you visit your Foley Walmart weekly, don't you? You have yours. Now we will have ours.
Fairhope Citizen

AOL

#17 Mar 3, 2006
I'm not sure what the big deal is about Wal Mart building a store in the proposed location. There's already a Wal Mart just a couple miles further from downtown Fairhope in Daphne. I'm sure Fairhope will want to expand the city limits to get the WM sales taxes when Fairhope inevitably implements a sales tax. I love downtown Fairhope. It is unique. No one goes to downtown Fairhope to find a good deal on everyday items. I don't see Wal Mart competing with downtown. And the biggest thing is that Fairhope needs some leaders with VISION. Make downtown Fairhope a tourist destination. Work to get a ferry from Mobile to the Fairhope Pier and get all those cruise ship tourists to make the trip over...as well as residents of Mobile who could "make a day of it" in downtown Fairhope and at the park. Have a trolley car or something carry people up the hill from the pier into downtown Fairhope for shopping. Geez people...just get some ideas going instead of whining about Wal Mart.
Imangttia

United States

#18 Mar 5, 2006
My guess is that Wal-Mart is a done deal in Fairhope. The parade 'chain' did not get into the book of records and probably 1/2 of those in the 'chain' were there simply to participate in a news worthy event and could care less one way or the other about the purpose of the 'chain'. The only losers are some of the small shop owners whose Great Grandparents arrived on the Ark and the Dove from abroad 300 years ago with a land-grant and have been sticking-it-to and, glad-handing the Fairhope locals ever since because they had no competition. It will be interesting to see how these folks do once they have to work for a living rather than just opening up their shop every morning.
Jake

Summerdale, AL

#19 Mar 6, 2006
Greg

You said: "Put it 10 to 15 minutes down the road."

Perhaps you are not familiar with the geography of the Fairhope area, but the proposed location is on a north-south highway, just being upgraded to 4 lanes, off to the east (outside the city limits) of Fairhope. It is about 10 or 15 minutes from downtown Fairhope.

It appears that this is just what you are advocating.
Betty

Rogers, AR

#20 Mar 6, 2006
Walmart offers all shoppers from wealthy to poor a place to shop for essentials. Walmart will not hurt the small shops that carry trendy items. They will always be destination sites. Walmart will provide jobs for some people who need a job. There are a lot of people who would love to work part time and Walmart will offer. It will also have plenty of full time jobs for those who want them. It will certainly save working people a lot of time.
Jake in Fairhope

Summerdale, AL

#21 Mar 6, 2006
Has anyone else noticed that the Home Page of fairhope.com no longer has a link for the forums?

Those of us who had saved a link to the fairhope.com forums as a favorite can still get here, but undoubtedly very few others will find the forums.

It is quite clear to me that someone is unhappy that many of those now posting on the fairhope.com forums are not so anti-WalMart.

Why not just let everyone post their opinions?

But if you want to, just come here and post comments (for, against, don't care, etc. Wal-Mart). It seems that comments of whatever persausion are welcome here.
Jake in Fairhope

Summerdale, AL

#22 Mar 6, 2006
Link to the fairhope.com forums (I should have included it in the previous posting).

Here is the link: http://www.fairhope.com/option,com_joomlaboar...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Theodore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former Congresswoman Giffords, wounded in 2011 ... (Jun '15) Jun 19 Dementia mental c... 20
How real is the Racism in Mobile? (Mar '16) Jun '17 The Anti-Flower C... 7
alabama spooks (Jul '11) Jun '17 The Anti-Flower C... 7
The Unsolved Murder of Jesse James Hughes Apr '17 DrKnowItAll 1
ATTN Cops (Feb '16) Feb '16 omg 1
Jake999 James Murphy (Dec '15) Dec '15 Troll spotting Cr... 4
News It's geaux time! Louisiana-based Rouses Markets... (Feb '14) May '15 linda gates 8

Theodore Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Theodore Mortgages