Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#21 Jan 19, 2013
JC from FOPO wrote:
I think there needs to be a total overhall of the leadership of this community. We need someone who will put the residents and the children of our community FIRST. We have a ton of taxpaying citizens that are seasonal residents, their voice needs to listened to as well. How about us being able to focus on DEVELOPING Forestport instead of being torn down, both physically and verbally! How about turning Foresport into a recreational Landmark, bring in income, put some money into activities for our youth to utilize and be proud of? Where is the focus on Forestport's future? We live in a breathtaking area, we need to clean it up and get it ready to show off... I believe ..."if we build it.. they will come". It is not going to be easy, but nothing good ever is...so let's pull up our big boy/girl britches and work hard to move this communit to what it can be, instead of what it is now ..WE HAVE SO MUCH POTENTIAL PEOPLE!
In order to do that the Town has to spend money that the residents don't want to do! There are tons of ways to "beautify" Forestport. For instance, tear down those dilapidated buildings downtown and maybe put a new playground there as the old one by the town hall is getting rusty and old.
Edd

Northville, NY

#22 Jan 19, 2013
I think the town needs to find a way to fix those buildings downtown , they are historic and it never looks good to go into a town and see open spaces where buildings used to stand , makes it look like they gave up . maybe someone could come forward to start a fundraiser for new playground equipment , start a committee , we used to have a skating rink at the little league field , every year and it was done by volunteers , Sonny Wood I remember was there half the night flooding the rink . I think as Mr. Snead showed if you get people working together , it can be done ...

Location hidden

#23 Jan 19, 2013
Edd wrote:
I think the town needs to find a way to fix those buildings downtown , they are historic and it never looks good to go into a town and see open spaces where buildings used to stand , makes it look like they gave up . maybe someone could come forward to start a fundraiser for new playground equipment , start a committee , we used to have a skating rink at the little league field , every year and it was done by volunteers , Sonny Wood I remember was there half the night flooding the rink . I think as Mr. Snead showed if you get people working together , it can be done ...
Ed, you may be right about the buildings.
Edd

Pulaski, NY

#24 Jan 19, 2013
I think the town should take those building by emanate domain or some how . its been 7 or 8 years that those 3 buildings in the village have been an eyesore , get owner ship of them and find families who would buy them cheap and promise in writing to repair and live in them , the town ( village ) would get the houses fixed and more people would be living in town , I remember when there were 8 more places in the village where people lived ... I'm old ..

Location hidden

#25 Jan 19, 2013
Edd wrote:
I think the town should take those building by emanate domain or some how . its been 7 or 8 years that those 3 buildings in the village have been an eyesore , get owner ship of them and find families who would buy them cheap and promise in writing to repair and live in them , the town ( village ) would get the houses fixed and more people would be living in town , I remember when there were 8 more places in the village where people lived ... I'm old ..
Edd,
That would be a great idea! Problem being I can't have an impact without bring elected lol
Edd

Pulaski, NY

#26 Jan 19, 2013
its an idea for the town , not just you , its nice the bridges are going to be replaced , now we should work to make the village look better , thats what we need in town forward looking people , hope your one of them ..

Location hidden

#27 Jan 19, 2013
Edd wrote:
its an idea for the town , not just you , its nice the bridges are going to be replaced , now we should work to make the village look better , thats what we need in town forward looking people , hope your one of them ..
Edd,
I am DEFINITELY one of those( forward looking people). A good politician surrounds himself with people who have good ideas like himself. I would like to help get this town back on track and j am willing to do it without the towns insurance if elected and no pay for a year. I guess we will see. I don't want to give the town more expense by getting health benefits.
watching it all

Johnstown, NY

#28 Feb 1, 2013
some times projects like this are more easily accomplished by volunteers or some one just doing it rather then talking about it. The last few years a small group of volunteers has done a street and road clean up in the spring. More volunteers are needed for this type of thing. It is our town and we all need to step up.
As far as the old buidings, I would rather see them fixed uo than tore down. Maybe some one local needs to buy then and do this
Memory Lane

Rome, NY

#29 Feb 1, 2013
Been a long time, but I think the town still is working with an agency that operates the town's Rehab Program. I believe that program has been used in the community to update and improve some properties. Unless the Town chose not to participate any longer, that program was renewable over time.
This did not use any monies from the town, it was years back, when Oneida County Community Action had a Rental Assistance Program it offered to low income families. Not sure what has happened to Oneida County Community Action.....I know it moved from the County bldg in Utica, to the old City Hall in Rome, but not even sure if it has been re-funded and is active anymore.

I believe Jim Donovan had also provided funds for an ice skating rink, and hockey eqpt. to field a Hockey Team that was to be named THE FORESTPORT SENATORS in recognition of Sen.Donovan at that time when the hockey team was formed. That was when Don Cousineau was Supervisor, and had got that started but no one knows what happened to the eqpt. The innovative liner that would allow the ice to last longer, was run over by a snowblower before the rink was ready. Cousineau was a hockey player for his college.

Volunteers made a warming shack over the town garage in the village, and sound eqpt. was donated and there was music to play for community skating.
But something happened there, and it never opened officially.

But then, that was another generation who cared about the kids. Really would like to know what happened to that project and the funds that came with it at that time.
Edd

Gloversville, NY

#30 Feb 1, 2013
Memory Lane wrote:
Been a long time, but I think the town still is working with an agency that operates the town's Rehab Program. I believe that program has been used in the community to update and improve some properties. Unless the Town chose not to participate any longer, that program was renewable over time.
This did not use any monies from the town, it was years back, when Oneida County Community Action had a Rental Assistance Program it offered to low income families. Not sure what has happened to Oneida County Community Action.....I know it moved from the County bldg in Utica, to the old City Hall in Rome, but not even sure if it has been re-funded and is active anymore.
I believe Jim Donovan had also provided funds for an ice skating rink, and hockey eqpt. to field a Hockey Team that was to be named THE FORESTPORT SENATORS in recognition of Sen.Donovan at that time when the hockey team was formed. That was when Don Cousineau was Supervisor, and had got that started but no one knows what happened to the eqpt. The innovative liner that would allow the ice to last longer, was run over by a snowblower before the rink was ready. Cousineau was a hockey player for his college.
Volunteers made a warming shack over the town garage in the village, and sound eqpt. was donated and there was music to play for community skating.
But something happened there, and it never opened officially.
But then, that was another generation who cared about the kids. Really would like to know what happened to that project and the funds that came with it at that time.
The liner was used one year then it was cut in half by the people in charge of the rink , so it could be put away in the top of the old garage at the town hall. nobody was told it was cut , and the following year they said it couldn't be fixed , so they threw it away , as far as the equipment , that was stated at a board meeting that it was also thrown away ..The 2 buildings on each side of the dinner are for sale for $90,000 each waaaaay to much for anybody to buy them ..., and if funds were available from the county or state to purchase the buildings it would be a waist of money at that price ...and as far as inproving them the owner owns properties all over the area and never fixes any of them , so why would we fix them for her ..
a point

Rome, NY

#31 Feb 1, 2013
You make a good point.
Obvious they don't want to pay any increased taxes if the assessments go up because the homes are worth more when rehabbed. But that does not mean they can't be condemned by the town if they are unsafe.

Other communities have had rehab projects that were very successful in giving not only the buildings a perk up, but the other property owners in the neighborhood fixed theirs up too.

Does that rehab program still serve Forestport does anyone know? If so, it should be publicized and put to use here in town.
Edd

Johnstown, NY

#32 Feb 1, 2013
a point wrote:
You make a good point.
Obvious they don't want to pay any increased taxes if the assessments go up because the homes are worth more when rehabbed. But that does not mean they can't be condemned by the town if they are unsafe.
Other communities have had rehab projects that were very successful in giving not only the buildings a perk up, but the other property owners in the neighborhood fixed theirs up too.
Does that rehab program still serve Forestport does anyone know? If so, it should be publicized and put to use here in town.
In order to get the grant money the owner has to meet finacial guidlines , I don't believe the owner would meet the guidlines , she lives in N.J. from what I understand , and she owns the 2 on each side of the dinner , the white one on river road ( Averys old place ) has changed hands a few times in the last few years ..
eminent domain

Rome, NY

#33 Feb 2, 2013
Well, then there isn't much the town can do, except to get Planning and Codes to condemn them.
Then if there is no action after a period of time I believe they can be taken by eminent domain and torn down, if necessary.
Some of that process may have changed over time, but I am sure there is recourse to the town if they pursue it.
watching it all

Johnstown, NY

#34 Feb 2, 2013
The state rehab program still eissts and teh town did apply again about 2 years ago. The grant was not funded the last time It may be becaus the town had already run the same program three or four times and the state wants to spread the money around to other tows. The same company through Jim O'Neil did the grant application I believe.Grant money is not as plentiful as it was just a few years ago. If the codes officer sited the property owner of delapitated property that may make the owner fix it up or sell it at a reasonable price.
Another eyesore is the old Maso'ns Lodge next to the Schmelzle home on Division. That still has a stage in it I think. It could be a real asset for the town. Look at what Remsen did with new art center. The hockey equipment... I heard the codes officer "lent " it to a freind a few years back and never got it back. He used to play hockey himself. Check it out.
spread what around

Rome, NY

#35 Feb 2, 2013
Those programs are only dropped and/or pulled from an eligible town if there are problems. The rehab programs in other communities are ongoing as long as the work is done correctly, and there are no repeats on rule violations, or poor contractors work and/or the program has been defunded. There was someone by the name of Jim O'Neill involved from a while back, and that name came from someone who had work done on their property.
If this owner is not interested, then nothing can be done accept to condemn the property and tear it down. If they are historic properties, it is a shame that they can't be preserved some way, some how.

You may want to check this further, especially to see if the program had been allotted funds for the municipality from the Govt.
If Forestport does not have this program any longer, someone should see what is needed to have the program to help our community again, since there are still other properties and owners who can use that program properly.
Old Masons property

Rome, NY

#36 Feb 3, 2013
I believe that is owned by the Schmelzle's and has been used for storage for years. Not sure who has it now. AND the house next to it isn't a prize either!!!
haha

Gloversville, NY

#37 Feb 3, 2013
Old Masons property wrote:
I believe that is owned by the Schmelzle's and has been used for storage for years. Not sure who has it now. AND the house next to it isn't a prize either!!!
Division Street in general could be bulldozed.....
Fpt Housing

Rome, NY

#38 Feb 5, 2013
The only rehab program in the area is through Mohawk Valley Comm. Action.
There was no indication that Snowbelt Housing had applied for, or was considered for this program in the years go-round for funding.
Check Snowbelt Housing in Lewis County for information.
Edd

Pulaski, NY

#39 Feb 7, 2013
Fpt Housing wrote:
The only rehab program in the area is through Mohawk Valley Comm. Action.
There was no indication that Snowbelt Housing had applied for, or was considered for this program in the years go-round for funding.
Check Snowbelt Housing in Lewis County for information.
you miss the point , the owner of the houses on each side of the dinner does not meet the guidelines for a grant , just a slum lord from Jersey ...
sad

Watertown, NY

#40 Feb 7, 2013
Sometimes the low income of a tenant will qualify the homeowner for the program. But, if the owner just doesn't give a ....... then you are right. They will do nothing unless forced into it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thendara Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Forestport -- The Laughing Stock 3 min sweety 23
Cyber bullying a grieving family 1 hr understanding 2
Daniel R King (Jul '12) 11 hr treatotherswithr... 110
Dawn Andrews 12 hr Bill 4
Where are the missing Forestport town supplies? 15 hr Bill 120
Forestport Web Site 21 hr WHY 1
Historic Inn's Thursday Night Special At The 'R... (Aug '11) May '14 Yep 4
Thendara Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web