Blind horse hits parked car, Lewis County Sheriff's Office reports

Feb 14, 2013 Full story: The Post-Standard 49

A blind horse was injured after it ran into a parked car Thursday afternoon, the Lewis County Sheriff's Office said.

Full Story
ridiculous

Johnstown, NY

#21 Mar 5, 2013
What harm have the Amish personally done to anyone of your morons? They have done nothing. They are quiet, kind hearted, and respectable people. They mind their own business and do not bash people like all of you are doing. Their animals are used for work and transportation. They are used in ridiculous weather because what other options do they have? Think about it. Yes, they can contact someone outside of the Amish community but they enjoy being self reliant and sufficient. you would be surprised but many equine and even some bovine are naturally sway back. Sway back can even be caused by pregnancy. Many Amish maintain their horses feet very well, I know that they are also fantastic at shoeing all types of animals. just because an animal appears to be skinny does not always mean they are malnurished. The Amish are not made of money and feed for ALL animals is very high right now. Winter months are months that ALL farmers have to struggle through. They also do not just simply pasture their animals without properly feeding/watering them and caring for their other needs. You are all very quick to pass judgement on people you have never personally met or talked to. Oh FYI, a horse's hooves would never grow out to the point that they "trip and fall" over them, it's impossible. Wild mustangsnever have their hooves cared for by people and I've never seen a mustang trip and fall over it's own hooves because nature has a funny way of preventing that, not only because of the way they walk but also the hooves will wear themselves down on the terrain.:)
really

Indian Lake, NY

#22 Mar 6, 2013
Thank you
Tolerance is a Virtue

Cary, NC

#23 Mar 6, 2013
It looks like the accidents regarding the Amish buggies and cars are beginning to sound pretty biased.

It appears the Amish would never contradict a police report or obtain a lawyer to straighten out any wrong doings concerning an accident. Who is to ever really know if this horse even blind? Does a blind lame horse act that much different from a non-blind lame horse?

And in another recent story.

"Authorities say a 10-year-old Amish boy has been hospitalized after the horse-drawn buggy he was driving collided with a tractor-trailer on a central New York road.
... when [the boy] made a sudden left turn onto another road [he] was hit by a truck following behind him.

Troopers say the truck driver wasn't able to avoid the collision."

http://online.wsj.com/article/APd0ff2a4fc9c84...

And back in late 2012 there was a 6 mo old baby that was killed in a buggy accident and the driver of the car got charged with the light sentence of "following too close" (compared to an unbiased sentence of vehicular manslauter).

Doesn't seem right.
please

Gloversville, NY

#24 Mar 6, 2013
ridiculous wrote:
What harm have the Amish personally done to anyone of your morons? They have done nothing. They are quiet, kind hearted, and respectable people. They mind their own business and do not bash people like all of you are doing. Their animals are used for work and transportation. They are used in ridiculous weather because what other options do they have? Think about it. Yes, they can contact someone outside of the Amish community but they enjoy being self reliant and sufficient. you would be surprised but many equine and even some bovine are naturally sway back. Sway back can even be caused by pregnancy. Many Amish maintain their horses feet very well, I know that they are also fantastic at shoeing all types of animals. just because an animal appears to be skinny does not always mean they are malnurished. The Amish are not made of money and feed for ALL animals is very high right now. Winter months are months that ALL farmers have to struggle through. They also do not just simply pasture their animals without properly feeding/watering them and caring for their other needs. You are all very quick to pass judgement on people you have never personally met or talked to. Oh FYI, a horse's hooves would never grow out to the point that they "trip and fall" over them, it's impossible. Wild mustangsnever have their hooves cared for by people and I've never seen a mustang trip and fall over it's own hooves because nature has a funny way of preventing that, not only because of the way they walk but also the hooves will wear themselves down on the terrain.:)
so since you must know so much about horses, where have you seen these mustangs? pregnancy in horses is a small reason on what causes sway backs. I've been around plenty of brood mares and never show a single sign of sway back. that's probably because they gain the necessary weight they need during a pregnancy. the biggest factor of sway back is starting training too young and hard riding. they have the option to not use their horses in the weather that isn't necessary for travel in the winter and in the summer give the horses some damn water. then explain by most of the Amish horses' feet look like pie plates. horses feet grow different. some just grow down with the angle and other grow out because they're always being ridden on pavement. well lets see, if a horses hip bone is protruding out then that's a sign that it's either sick or underweight. if they can't feed them then they shouldn't have them. I know it's their way of live, good for them. I never once said they're horrible people, did I? I didn't bash their way of life either, just that they need to maintain their animals better. horses are expensive to take care of, I doubt the Amish get the horses teeth floated. but thank you for the entertain for the day :)
really

Gloversville, NY

#25 Mar 6, 2013
please wrote:
<quoted text>
so since you must know so much about horses, where have you seen these mustangs? pregnancy in horses is a small reason on what causes sway backs. I've been around plenty of brood mares and never show a single sign of sway back. that's probably because they gain the necessary weight they need during a pregnancy. the biggest factor of sway back is starting training too young and hard riding. they have the option to not use their horses in the weather that isn't necessary for travel in the winter and in the summer give the horses some damn water. then explain by most of the Amish horses' feet look like pie plates. horses feet grow different. some just grow down with the angle and other grow out because they're always being ridden on pavement. well lets see, if a horses hip bone is protruding out then that's a sign that it's either sick or underweight. if they can't feed them then they shouldn't have them. I know it's their way of live, good for them. I never once said they're horrible people, did I? I didn't bash their way of life either, just that they need to maintain their animals better. horses are expensive to take care of, I doubt the Amish get the horses teeth floated. but thank you for the entertain for the day :)
Since you don't actually own horses you should keep you biased opinions to yourself
please

Fayetteville, NY

#26 Mar 6, 2013
really wrote:
<quoted text>Since you don't actually own horses you should keep you biased opinions to yourself
actually I do own horses. two of them actually. a paint and a quarter horse. a gelding and a mare. but THANK YOU! I've been riding for 17 years.
Horse Lover

Fayetteville, NY

#27 Mar 6, 2013
[QUOTE who="seriously."] <quoted text>oh really? they take care of them? I've seen plenty with feet that are completely outgrown, they'll eventually trip over them and fall. I've seen plenty with sway backs. I've seen plenty limping, probably because they're in the process if foundering because they eat nothing but grass so they're coffin bone is rotating into their hoof wall. running horses miles in 80 degree weather with no water is a great way for horses to collapse and I bet the horses are just left out to pasture after that without being properly cooled out and running them in below 0 temperature is a great way to burst their lungs. people slow right down when they pass them but the horse freaks out because it can't see what is coming.[/QUOTE]

I am glad I am not the only 1 that noticed this
impeach him

Boonville, NY

#28 Mar 6, 2013
Half the people in Lewis county are blind
please

Fayetteville, NY

#29 Mar 6, 2013
impeach him wrote:
Half the people in Lewis county are blind
great story.
ridiculous

Old Forge, NY

#30 Mar 6, 2013
please wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, alrighty genius. I'd love to see you walk up to an Amish person and tell them they shouldn't have horses because they "aren't taking care of them", and also if you have your big girl panties in such a wad over this then contact authorities instead of bitching about it on topix. ;) it won't get you ANYWHERE. I do not understand why you're making such a fuss over this, they aren't your animals. Have you ever heard of turning the other cheek? Of course not, many people around here don't because they're ignorant, uneducated Lewis County residents.
please

Fayetteville, NY

#31 Mar 7, 2013
ridiculous wrote:
<quoted text>LOL, alrighty genius. I'd love to see you walk up to an Amish person and tell them they shouldn't have horses because they "aren't taking care of them", and also if you have your big girl panties in such a wad over this then contact authorities instead of bitching about it on topix. ;) it won't get you ANYWHERE. I do not understand why you're making such a fuss over this, they aren't your animals. Have you ever heard of turning the other cheek? Of course not, many people around here don't because they're ignorant, uneducated Lewis County residents.
thank you so much for proving you're nothing but a stereotype. "turning the cheek" when horses are not being taken care of day in and day out? aren't you bitching on topix too about my opinion and observations? how do you know I'm a girl? I could be a guy, well educated about horses. that's exactly it, you don't know me. but thanks again for the laugh :)
really

Gloversville, NY

#32 Mar 7, 2013
please wrote:
<quoted text>
thank you so much for proving you're nothing but a stereotype. "turning the cheek" when horses are not being taken care of day in and day out? aren't you bitching on topix too about my opinion and observations? how do you know I'm a girl? I could be a guy, well educated about horses. that's exactly it, you don't know me. but thanks again for the laugh :)
No man would be as imbecile as you. You really are a piece of work.
please

Fayetteville, NY

#33 Mar 7, 2013
really wrote:
<quoted text>No man would be as imbecile as you. You really are a piece of work.
such a good word :) did google help you with that one?
really

Gloversville, NY

#34 Mar 8, 2013
Nope. You did it all by yourself. Congrats. You inspired me.

I'm glad you get off to using an online forum to demean the Amish. It's almost like they can defend themselves.
please

Richland, NY

#35 Mar 9, 2013
really wrote:
Nope. You did it all by yourself. Congrats. You inspired me.

I'm glad you get off to using an online forum to demean the Amish. It's almost like they can defend themselves.
is that my problem? nope.
really

Bronx, NY

#36 Mar 9, 2013
*Tear*

you're hilarious
please

Richland, NY

#37 Mar 9, 2013
really wrote:
*Tear*

you're hilarious
was I trying to be? nope. was I simply stating a fact? yup.:)
really

Bronx, NY

#38 Mar 9, 2013
Oh please Oh please. You wouldn't know a fact if it hit you in the face.

F'ing hilarious. In a sad sort of way.*Waterfall*
please

Syracuse, NY

#39 Mar 10, 2013
really wrote:
Oh please Oh please. You wouldn't know a fact if it hit you in the face.

F'ing hilarious. In a sad sort of way.*Waterfall*
is this suppose to bother me any way shape or form?
really

Watertown, NY

#40 Mar 10, 2013
Obviously it Does since you keep replying. Maybe you should call the SPCA since you're so right about everything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thendara Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snead Labels Taxpayers Haters 1 hr olivia 35
Crime warner cable Rate Hikes 2 hr Cousin Jim 4
Lowville man charged with second-degree assault 6 hr Conviction 3
music 6 hr Truth 4
get rid of the DA 16 hr WhoYouKnoWrite 1
Lewis County man charged with sexually abusing ... 16 hr spell bad 13
Luke Racine 22 hr wtf 4
Thendara Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web