Crews battle two fires in Forestport ...

Crews battle two fires in Forestport Saturday night

There are 38 comments on the WKTV story from May 4, 2013, titled Crews battle two fires in Forestport Saturday night. In it, WKTV reports that:

Two fires kept crews in the Town of Forestport very busy Saturday night. The first call came around 8:15 p.m. at 11816 Woodhull Road.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WKTV.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
disappointed

Utica, NY

#1 May 5, 2013
A friend stopped over there (across the street from Bonnies)- VERY UPSETING to know that the fire departments never called red cross or salavation army to assist this obviously very poor family. The guy that owns that store was seen by many bringing the family and fire fighters water, soda and sandwhiches as well as warm blankets and clean sweats. Other departments were seen sitting in the trucks to warm up...what assistance was given to this family besides the fire being put out? One community woman even went home to bring the kids warm clothes. Shame on the forestport fire department. This was YOUR responsibility. YOU COULD HAVE DONE MORE! How did you feel about yourselves sleeping safely in your beds last night? Thank God the people in this community came through for them
was there

Hatfield, MA

#2 May 5, 2013
First off the red cross was called and never showed...second the remsen fd auxiliary was there with drinks for all...third i am greatfull that the man that runs the old bonnies was nice enough to stay open and serve those that were there while other people stood aroud and watched cause all they are is fire chasers.....fourth....the only ff that were in trucks were the tanker drivers, thats there job to stay in the truck! It was also nice to here people thanking the firefighters for being brave for what they do!!! I'm just glad that everyone was save, building and things are replaceable while lives are not!!
Amazing

Hamden, CT

#3 May 5, 2013
Disappointed, must be a former Forestporter FF or Aux.
Bubba

Camden, NY

#4 May 5, 2013
Amazing wrote:
Disappointed, must be a former Forestporter FF or Aux.
nope just an Idiot , from what I understand the 911 center calls for the red cross , the fire dept. notifies the 911 center and they contact whoever is needed , as far as running the fire depts. down , look how many firemen and women showed up from forestport and other local depts. remember they get no pay , no benefits , no health ins. they do it because they care about the community , I for one and almost everyone I know is very thankfull for the job they do .... P.S. I'll put the service to the community that the firemen do against all the bitchers , and I'm not a firefighter ..
was there

Hatfield, MA

#5 May 5, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>
nope just an Idiot , from what I understand the 911 center calls for the red cross , the fire dept. notifies the 911 center and they contact whoever is needed , as far as running the fire depts. down , look how many firemen and women showed up from forestport and other local depts. remember they get no pay , no benefits , no health ins. they do it because they care about the community , I for one and almost everyone I know is very thankfull for the job they do .... P.S. I'll put the service to the community that the firemen do against all the bitchers , and I'm not a firefighter ..
Thank you!!
Suggestion

Blossvale, NY

#6 May 5, 2013
I suggest that those disappointed in the fire depts. response to the fire across from Bonnies Store, rush right down and enroll as a member of the fire company.
That way we will be sure at least ONE person reports things correctly after that.
Remember, if the shoe fits, wear it..........better yet if you can fill the fireman's boots, go for it!!!
WebbNative

United States

#7 May 5, 2013
My grandad is a past fpfd chief. He says the dept is going downhill. He's disappointed by the way it's run now.
Clowns

Utica, NY

#8 May 6, 2013
They never offered the family any support. Kids were shivering outside at night no blankets offered. There is no auxiliary you moron the owner of the station provided drinks and food. The fire department showed zero compassion to the family but they got beer before they left. It's called having compassion and class.
Phoney FireFighter

Utica, NY

#9 May 6, 2013
Let's Face it! There were no ladies handing out drinks from any fire department. I was there. Red Cross was NOT called till the following day. I wish I knew how to post pics because there WERE people sitting in trucks as well as Ambulences.Pathetic really...how they left those people out in the cold when the trucks were all leaving. The former ladies Aux would have brought those people in the fire dept and kept them warm and fed them. The cows from the remsen aux were only worried about themselves
Buffalo Ed

Utica, NY

#10 May 6, 2013
Why didn't The Buffalo Head come over and hand out a warm dinner to these people? I'll tell you why. Because they have no status as "Who to know in Fopo"
was there

Hatfield, MA

#11 May 6, 2013
Auxiliary was there and red cross was called but could not come at that time....you dont belive me call the county 911 and have the tape pulled for the request you ass!!
Clowns

Utica, NY

#12 May 6, 2013
I'm busy trying to help the family get donations. I don't have time to argue pointless information you are sharing. Bottom line is all fire departments drove away while the famy sat on a picnic table.
Bubba

Camden, NY

#13 May 6, 2013
Phoney FireFighter wrote:
Let's Face it! There were no ladies handing out drinks from any fire department. I was there. Red Cross was NOT called till the following day. I wish I knew how to post pics because there WERE people sitting in trucks as well as Ambulences.Pathetic really...how they left those people out in the cold when the trucks were all leaving. The former ladies Aux would have brought those people in the fire dept and kept them warm and fed them. The cows from the remsen aux were only worried about themselves
lets see first you say there were no ladies from any fire dept., then you say the cows from remsen aux were only worried about themselves , so I can guess that you are full of ----, and what did you do for the people there ?
Phoney FireFighter

Utica, NY

#14 May 6, 2013
I did nothing as there was nothing I could do. I live on a very low budget...but if I could do something I would. Talked with Bill H today. I do apologize to the Forestport Fire Dept. It seems they are in charge of fopo and the responding scum from remsen were in charge of getting the other things in order. ANyone know who the firefighter was in the white t-shirt? Very Tall guy, thin? I would love to call him out on his actions. He IS THE REASON this post was started.*I thought he was forestport but I'm told maybe from remsen
Bubba

Camden, NY

#15 May 6, 2013
Phoney FireFighter wrote:
I did nothing as there was nothing I could do. I live on a very low budget...but if I could do something I would. Talked with Bill H today. I do apologize to the Forestport Fire Dept. It seems they are in charge of fopo and the responding scum from remsen were in charge of getting the other things in order. ANyone know who the firefighter was in the white t-shirt? Very Tall guy, thin? I would love to call him out on his actions. He IS THE REASON this post was started.*I thought he was forestport but I'm told maybe from remsen
Remsen was called to assist forestport , they were not in charge of anything , there is always someone whose acts seem to be uncareing or rude but , they may be focused on something else ( don't know wasn't there ) I would say if you have a problem with the fire dept. call the dept. and talk to the chief .. I know a lot of firemen and women from all over the area , they are a careing group of people that get little thanks for their work , I used to be a firefighter I know ....
abzxtuv

Gloversville, NY

#16 May 6, 2013
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>
Remsen was called to assist forestport , they were not in charge of anything , there is always someone whose acts seem to be uncareing or rude but , they may be focused on something else ( don't know wasn't there ) I would say if you have a problem with the fire dept. call the dept. and talk to the chief .. I know a lot of firemen and women from all over the area , they are a careing group of people that get little thanks for their work , I used to be a firefighter I know ....
Right on bubba!!
I also know many people in the Forestport, Woodgate and Otter Lake Fire Department. They put allot of hours of their own time into being a "volunteer" fireman...fire woman. I'm sure...if you talked to their Fire Chiefs .....and constructive advice ..they would appreciate it....they always are trying to do the best job they can.
Mindy

Utica, NY

#17 May 6, 2013
I am a firewomen and the red cross was there, our fire chief stayed there until they showed up. We dont have a auxilary but we had lots of water and the nice guy that owns the store was also helping everyone. Our job is to make sure everyone gets out of the building and put the fire out. If there were other people standing around doing nothing maybe they should of helped out the family more.. I was at that house the next day when the family members came back they carried out ALOT of their belongings. We helped keep their dogs out of arms way also. including myself I think we did a AWESOME JOB at saving what we could, some people cant say they got to recover ANY belongings. I myself have children and is going threw things to bring the family. Thanks to The Country Station Store for setting up a spot for drop off. This community comes together in many times of need. This house has been in my family for MANY years and im very greatful that it wasnt a TOTAL loss. Its a huge part of Forestport history also. My great aunt Dorthy Mooney would be very proud of what we could do.
Parker Snead

New Hartford, NY

#18 May 6, 2013
Very nice Mindy....
Heart Hurt

Holland Patent, NY

#19 May 6, 2013
You are right Mindy, good posting.
AND your great aunt Dorothy probably was sitting up there on that cloud just helping the firemen by blowing those flames out.
Glad the house was not totally destroyed. It is one of the communities OLDEST buildings from the days when Forestport was at it's best.
Sad to have this happen, and it sure brought a tear to many who know the history and the family who will always be remembered when we go by.
The Forestport Firemen again did their duty for the community. Think of them too amidst all of this. They answered the call, did their job well, and are still FORESTPORT'S FINEST.
Job Well Done Everyone!!!
Bobbie

Glenfield, NY

#20 May 6, 2013
Just want to say I am very proud of the job we did Saturday night.Some people should get their facts straight before they post on this forum.To set the story right about the people being without til the next day is not true.They were able to go to a motel in Barneveld that night.As we took our equipment back to the station to be ready in case of another call,our chief stayed with the family til red cross got there.The next day they did return to get some of their things.I talked to the family myself.I went through the home with them and they themselves said how pleased they were with what we had done.So the comments that are negative and degrading on here mean nothing at all.The words that came from them are what matter.So again thanks to the fire department the family has a lot of their personal belongings and are very happy we did the job we went there to do....I'm proud to be one of those Forestport Fire Fighters.........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thendara Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
how much village water....... 2 min Mrs_Piggy 2
Dakota Tuttle 54 min Duh 3
Let's talk about it! 2 hr Toothfaery 3
Enlighten Us...Why does this topic continue to ... 12 hr Enlighten Us 1
Hershey 14 hr Funny 4
Buffalo Head Closed Sep 17 Bud 11
Judge king (Jul '16) Sep 16 Lol 45

Thendara Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance