Mattesons Cabins For Sale??

Posted in the Thendara Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
IceyHot

Clinton, MA

#1 Jan 19, 2013
Anyone know why the Matteson's Cabins and store (& house) are up for sale??
Woodgater

Utica, NY

#2 Jan 19, 2013
Hard telling, but a quick guess would be their sick of being targeted and harassed all the time by the town!! I think if a person was to ask and do some digging John Isley is behind a lot of their problems!
Carol jean

Waterville, NY

#3 Jan 19, 2013
Gee thats a shame. They are really nice people. I know the lake association.... has always given them a hard time... and they always been good to them with donations and other community efforts. I don't post here much... but some things seems such a shame..
IceyHot

Somerville, MA

#4 Jan 19, 2013
I noticed that a local real estate office has listed the entire cluster (the store, rental cabins, and their private residence) for sale now.

What is Mr Isley's title?

Which municipality is allegedly bothering or has bothered the Matteson's?

I'm researching the back story before making direct inquiries to the realtor and owners.
Woodgater

Utica, NY

#5 Jan 19, 2013
I bet business has been way too slow. Rarely saw anyone use those cabins after they were constructed. Must be no one really wanted to use the cigarette, garbage, and dog poop covered beach up the road. The bar owner should really do a better job keeping his beach clean, especially for his trailer park clientele.
Nasty Area

Utica, NY

#6 Jan 19, 2013
IceyHot wrote:
I noticed that a local real estate office has listed the entire cluster (the store, rental cabins, and their private residence) for sale now.
What is Mr Isley's title?
Which municipality is allegedly bothering or has bothered the Matteson's?
I'm researching the back story before making direct inquiries to the realtor and owners.
The problem with Woodgate is it is too small for all the backstabbing people who reside there. People could be your friend one day and the next day they are out to hang you butt. I definitely would never buy another property there.
Glaswegian

Somerville, MA

#7 Jan 19, 2013
Today I noticed lots of White Lake properties for sale.....especially north of the White Lake Inn.

Maybe some zoning changes are afoot......highway development plans being proposed?
Winterfell

Northville, NY

#8 Jan 20, 2013
I have known the Mattesons since they came here, their (his) story has many sides, he has a coarse personality to say the least , although he has a good work ethic. He has rubbed many local people the wrong way , myself included, although I have gotten past it, buried the hatchet and gone forward , many have not. On a positive note he has built something from nearly nothing, yes there was some assistance from the highway expansion, not knowing the specifics fiscally just guessing this helped make all the improvements happen initially......the new main store, new cabins (3), and a 10 or 12 piece modular home., besides landscaping the eyesore of a corner.....and equipment like tractors, trailers and trucks.....all money well spent......my guess if I had to guess ....is business has been on the severe decline for at least 4 years now.....and maybe between dealing with a very handicapped child, declining business and the increased overhead....they have decided to get out with some equity.....maybe trim the business down to his landscaping business, which I think him and his son love to do, and have a simpler life.....as far as the town or Isley putting pressure on him to influence him , I doubt it....he had some initial issues about his signage....they were resolved....both sides compromised......I personally wish him well....he does not have the greatest personality as I have said but none of us are perfect either, we all have our own quirks, we should make an effort to buy local, hire local contractors and employees , recommend local......I hope they do well....for we all survive by being there for each other.....truly....thanks..... Winterfell.....
local

Gloversville, NY

#9 Jan 20, 2013
Woodgater wrote:
I bet business has been way too slow. Rarely saw anyone use those cabins after they were constructed. Must be no one really wanted to use the cigarette, garbage, and dog poop covered beach up the road. The bar owner should really do a better job keeping his beach clean, especially for his trailer park clientele.
That's funny....."his" beach.....
White Lake Beach

Gloversville, NY

#10 Jan 20, 2013
I don't know "Mr. Matteson" but I have spoken to his wife a few times and I found her to be a great person. The Codes office is known to hinder people and I KNOW this first hand. I have heard a lot about things that go on, but options are limited as to hiring anyone. I could tell story after story...but won't.

Second, my current understanding is that White Lake can be accessed by anyone from the area across from the bar. Is that the case?
local

Gloversville, NY

#11 Jan 20, 2013
White Lake Beach wrote:
I don't know "Mr. Matteson" but I have spoken to his wife a few times and I found her to be a great person. The Codes office is known to hinder people and I KNOW this first hand. I have heard a lot about things that go on, but options are limited as to hiring anyone. I could tell story after story...but won't.

Second, my current understanding is that White Lake can be accessed by anyone from the area across from the bar. Is that the case?
Anyone that owns property in the 400 acre tract has lake rights
zoning

New Hartford, NY

#12 Jan 20, 2013
There is no Zoning in the community. There is a SITE REVIEW LAW in place that is handled quite differently then zoning that is applied across the board.
I wish the Matteson's well in whatever they feel they must do, whatever decisions they may make. It has offered good products, and is an asset, well maintained, well developed, and offered good products.
Sad to think they may be leaving or cutting back greatly on their business. If you have not stopped there, you have missed seeing some very nice merchandise that one would not normally find in Forestport.
I wish the family well.
One on One

New Hartford, NY

#13 Jan 20, 2013
Icy Hot, have you cared to take the time personally and chat with the Matteson's? It doesn't sound like you have. Without that approach you are subject to believe opinions of others which may be incorrect, and/or have a history behind those opinions.

Best thing to do is man up and talk with the family directly!
Woodgater

Long Eddy, NY

#14 Jan 20, 2013
White Lake Beach wrote:
...Second, my current understanding is that White Lake can be accessed by anyone from the area across from the bar. Is that the case?
I guess it could be accessed by anyone, but you are crossing private property there to do it. Since a small group of people got together to have the gate taken down, the lake have become very inviting and the waters have been wild. It is definitely time to get the Sheriff's Department back patroling the waters on a regular basis. With the high speeds, lack of courteousy, and drinking while boating, a tragedy could happen at any point.
Paul

United States

#15 Jan 20, 2013
Woodgater wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess it could be accessed by anyone, but you are crossing private property there to do it. Since a small group of people got together to have the gate taken down, the lake have become very inviting and the waters have been wild. It is definitely time to get the Sheriff's Department back patroling the waters on a regular basis. With the high speeds, lack of courteousy, and drinking while boating, a tragedy could happen at any point.
unless the lake has a public boat launch , the sheriff should not be on the lake , and as far as people acting stupid on the water , the only way to stop it is ban motors on the lake ...
Maddie

Boston, MA

#16 Jan 20, 2013
Last summer I tried renting a few cabins and left a few messages on Matteson's voice mail but never got a return call. I have also enjoyed stopping in there from time to time. Does anyone know if they are going to relocate the business or is it done for good?
directly

New Hartford, NY

#17 Jan 21, 2013
Maddie, stop in if they are there and chat with them a bit. I am not sure, but they may not have been able to rent those cabins for some reason. BUT any questions you have should be discussed with those concerned. It will be a nice perk for them I am sure, to know there are people out here who do appreciate what they have tried to do to bring businesses where they are needed. That is a nice, hardworking family. Hubby and wife pull together to get to this point, sad they may be leaving us..
Imagine yourself in their position.
Edd

Indian Lake, NY

#18 Jan 21, 2013
Sad to see any business close or change hands , somebodys dream didn't work out , I try to support local businesses all I can , but I have to tip my hat to those that try ..
john62

Huntsville, AL

#19 Jan 21, 2013
Carol jean wrote:
Gee thats a shame. They are really nice people. I know the lake association.... has always given them a hard time... and they always been good to them with donations and other community efforts. I don't post here much... but some things seems such a shame..
Isley is the root of ALL the problems in Woodgate.
john62

Huntsville, AL

#20 Jan 21, 2013
Isley is the root of ALL the problems in Woodgate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thendara Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Van Auken's? 5 hr eeeedman 2
Scum beating on his gf 7 hr AUSSIE PRIDE 13
People of Lewis County Vs Sade (Sep '10) 16 hr Sick 127
just say no to that (Nov '15) 19 hr you must be kidding 31
accident (Jun '13) Tue Uhohwatchit 28
Questions Mon Hello 1
Lewis County Drug Dealing Scumbags Sep 25 eeeedman 6

Thendara Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance