First time our Forestport Little Leag...
bossman

United States

#21 May 23, 2013
Little league should be cancelled. The parents care more about it than the kids. It's a waste of money.
disagree

Boonville, NY

#22 May 23, 2013
I disagree there are alot of kids that love to play baseball. And if they weren't combined with Boonville they would have a chance to play at all. Boonville has been playing with Forestport for at least the last 6 yrs that I know of, and why wouldnt they have to pay the same fee that Boonville and Old Forge kids pay???
Odin

Ardsley, NY

#23 May 23, 2013
sherry paschke wrote:
Instead of all you on here bashing the ones donating their free time to do what we can, maybe you should get out of your chair and away from the computer and offer your time. Get involved and find out what is really going on..
Well said Sherry, but I think most would rather bitch about the problems than put forth a physical effort to make changes. I still say the field on Dutch Hill is the best around.
Okay

New Hartford, NY

#24 May 24, 2013
Sounds like Sherry Paschke from Glenfield knows what is going on , maybe she can shed some light on the situation .The 11 year olds from Forestport do have to play in Boonville now, but it is no longer little league , it is now cal ripken league.Kids 11 years old from forestport do have to pay to play.Forestport probably could have had a team with a little effort from the athletic association. Shameful that the youth baseball program has crumbled.Who is sherry paschke from glenfield and what does she know about forestport baseball ?
Bubba

Johnstown, NY

#25 May 24, 2013
Okay wrote:
Sounds like Sherry Paschke from Glenfield knows what is going on , maybe she can shed some light on the situation .The 11 year olds from Forestport do have to play in Boonville now, but it is no longer little league , it is now cal ripken league.Kids 11 years old from forestport do have to pay to play.Forestport probably could have had a team with a little effort from the athletic association. Shameful that the youth baseball program has crumbled.Who is sherry paschke from glenfield and what does she know about forestport baseball ?
Sherry Paschke is one of the people that spends hours and hours of her own time to work at the forestport field concession stand ...
Disagree

Boonville, NY

#26 May 24, 2013
So what is the big deal?? Travel 10 miles for your child to play baseball??? Or they dont play? You are going to be doing alot more traveling than 10 miles if your child plays on any other baseball team. My question was why wouldn't Forestport kids pay to play Boonville kids have always paid??? And yes Sherry Paschke volunteers alot of her time to the Forestport concession stand. Thank you to you Sherry!!!
pay yo play

New Hartford, NY

#27 May 24, 2013
The forestport athletic association's sole purpose is to raise money for forestport athletics. There is only little league and scooter's softball in forestport as far as athletics go. Now that 11 year olds go to Boonville there is just less opportunity here for them. There used to be something said for town pride. With a little effort the 11-13 year olds could have had a hometown team . Also one of the conditions from the town to let the association use the property on Dutch Hill was that forestport children would never have to pay to play youth baseball. The athletic association was to use their profits for this . Kids under 11 from forestport did not pay to play this year. Maybe it is time for Forestport to go back to the port leyden,west leyden, lyons falls ,glenfield ,c-ville league. Why did they leave in the first place, it is boring watching the same 4 teams from the boonville league play over and over. Parents work at the concession stand during little league games not sherry paschey.
volunteers

New Hartford, NY

#28 May 24, 2013
If you think Sherry Paschke doesn't get paid for her time , you are a fool. You think she does it out of the goodness of her heart? There are others that get paid as well . You should check the tax filings, are they an association registered in NY, or non profit?
life

Clinton, NY

#29 May 24, 2013
there seems to be new life emerging as I read these posts. The questions indicate there are some very good people concerned and with good ideas. Shame that the children of our community are not going to feel that home pride when others come to play at our field.
Why not call an informational meeting to try to at least get something for our youth to do LOCALLY, even if it isn't affiliated with Little League play.
Practice games may help them gain more skill for the other youth baseball games.
Just trying to get you all to put on your thinking caps and pull together for our kids. Maybe just an all Fpt. competition amongst ourselves once in a while...
IT IS A SHAME THIS APPEARS TO BE FALLING APART.........GET YOUR THINKING CAPS ON EVERYONE>
Bubba

Northville, NY

#30 May 24, 2013
pay yo play wrote:
The forestport athletic association's sole purpose is to raise money for forestport athletics. There is only little league and scooter's softball in forestport as far as athletics go. Now that 11 year olds go to Boonville there is just less opportunity here for them. There used to be something said for town pride. With a little effort the 11-13 year olds could have had a hometown team . Also one of the conditions from the town to let the association use the property on Dutch Hill was that forestport children would never have to pay to play youth baseball. The athletic association was to use their profits for this . Kids under 11 from forestport did not pay to play this year. Maybe it is time for Forestport to go back to the port leyden,west leyden, lyons falls ,glenfield ,c-ville league. Why did they leave in the first place, it is boring watching the same 4 teams from the boonville league play over and over. Parents work at the concession stand during little league games not sherry paschey.
there is also a slow pitch team in forestport that plays on the field ....
Dad

Waterville, NY

#31 May 25, 2013
I don't agree that the place is well maintained at all.
I went to a few games and saw adults drinking and smoking. I thought that wasn't to be. I also saw bare footed and kids with sneakers playing in the dirt littered with cigarette butts, pop tops from beer cans as well as caps. Someone isn't doing their job. Maybe more than one isn't doing a good job.
sick

New Hartford, NY

#32 May 26, 2013
Got sick after eating sausage there, haven't eaten anything since. I don't see a health permit posted . The town would be just as liable if someone got real sick fron their food . Do they have their own insurance, they are a business using tax payer property.They take in a lot of money.
Bubba

Gloversville, NY

#33 May 26, 2013
funny all the bitchers are listed as from Utica ...
Dexter

Utica, NY

#34 May 26, 2013
If a team needs a coach and they HAVE enough kids, why don't all the parents of THOSE kids get together and choose a couple of coaches? Too many parents drop their kids off and leave. Stick around and work with them. Be a coach. Don't blame adult teams or anyone else you can think of for it. Take the bull by the horns and handle it. Period.
coach

North Creek, NY

#35 May 27, 2013
Dexter wrote:
If a team needs a coach and they HAVE enough kids, why don't all the parents of THOSE kids get together and choose a couple of coaches? Too many parents drop their kids off and leave. Stick around and work with them. Be a coach. Don't blame adult teams or anyone else you can think of for it. Take the bull by the horns and handle it. Period.
Yup- and I'm pretty easy going, but leave the smokes and beers at home for kids games.
Batter Up

Utica, NY

#36 May 27, 2013
Dexter, you sound like the OLD TIMERS of Forestport. most of whom are gone now. By now there would have been the echos of BATTER UP!
nice to see

New Hartford, NY

#37 May 27, 2013
today as I drove to Boonville, it was so nice to see the gentleman who ALWAYS mowed the grass for the ball field, and tended to some of the outdoor things with special care. Plus, a town board member working to help spiff it up.
These same persons plus others who tended the field because they cared, and were not compensated for their work, had not been seen much.
THIS IS MY THANK YOU TO YOU FOR AGAIN BEING THAT SOMEONE WHO CARES.
YOU know who you are!!!!
glad

New Hartford, NY

#38 May 27, 2013
I for one am glad that the kids are going to Boonville for little League, they are taught better there . Our team of 8-10 year olds have not won a game yet,it is embarrassing . We would do much better if we had practice more often, but being from Boonville, I suppose the coach can't get here as often. He used to be a Boonville coach and I doubt he has the desire or pride that a an actual resident of our town would have.Next year my child will be eleven and able to play in Boonville too.Also Ted mows the field, he is a town employee and it is his Job.
clarify

New Hartford, NY

#39 May 27, 2013
There was a gentleman who for a long time past, had always mowed that grass. While he may not do that now, he had done it for a long time and it was nice to see that. Just a plus and a perk for him. I am sure a kind word sometimes is nice to hear, knowing that someone remembered.
Dexter

Utica, NY

#40 May 28, 2013
All over the place, not just here, MANY parents seem to think that OTHER adults should take care of their children and lead them in ANY activity as an organized thing. What ever happened to pick up games? As a parent, I coached, had a very large cub scout den for 6 years, volunteered with fund raising events, etc. I have seen the same volunteers EVERY time. I have witnessed the majority of parents dropping their kids off and going shopping or home to do other things while we babysat for them. Many times they'd come back late, after whatever we'd been doing had been over with for a half hour to an hour. We didn't leave their kids and go home to our own lives, we waited with their children. They always had a lame excuse for being late. Funny thing is that THOSE were the parents who ALWAYS had complaints or worse, threats. Their kids had fun. We did all kinds of things that the kids really liked to do and made it diversified so they learned new things and gave them ideas for future events. We listened to the kids for what they wanted to try and ideas we worked on. I understand that "winning" is so important to most parents, but when I was coach, that wasn't what it was about. They are kids. The emphasis was on building their skills and not paying attention to the score to stress them. Also, coaching was done during practices, not during the game...THAT was for trying out their skills. If we won, that was great, but if we lost, so what? We weren't adults in a war. We were having fun. Isn't that what childhood is supposed to be about - fun? Don't they have enough stress in school and having to sit still? Play time is supposed to be about getting some exercise and socializing all while having a good time so that the kids WANT to continue. I saw SO MANY parents tell their kids horrible things to get them to win. I heard opposing team parents tell their kids to hurt our kids so their team would win. Why do parents make things so violent? Instead of all the traveling to games, I got to the point where I thought it would be more calm and fun for the kids if we just played most of the games against our own area. It took up much of a day just for a game. It was even harder when it was after school and homework was waiting along with their beds. Parents should just get out there and let the kids play and have fun. Play WITH them even as they get older. Let them see YOU as a parent enjoying the camaraderie. YOU'RE the parent they look up to who they want to be like. Get involved and stop your own whining and complaining. I'll bet once you get going and get other parents with you, you'll end up having fun, too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thendara Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dirty nasty carnies 9 hr Tide 5
lyons falls farmers market - riverside park - t... 18 hr Sam 9
Pauly conover 23 hr Lowville resident 14
Chelsea dafoe Fri taxpayer 12
matt cummings (May '10) Thu PL residet 8
News Understanding the Adirondack Scenic Railroad co... (Mar '14) Thu another former vo... 116
Rome has enough problems why did you send Matt ... Wed PL residet 3

Thendara Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Thendara Mortgages