First time our Forestport Little League will be coached by someone out of town

Posted in the Thendara Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Towny

Cortland, NY

#1 Apr 4, 2012
very sad that our little league has deteriorated to this point.Town pride has faded. I am sure he will be a good coach though.....
Youth Program Coach

Utica, NY

#2 Apr 4, 2012
why doesn't the Town Board appoint a retired or experienced YOUTH RECREATION DIRECTOR who can actually work with the little league, hands on. That way we have a coach who is local, knows sports, and can work with the kids and keep this wonderful experience available to them. They now have a town "youth recreation director" so why aren't they assigning coaching of the ball team to that person to work with the kids. That's what they are supposed to do isn't it??
Volunteers are super when it comes to helping now, as it is, so why not help this group grow and help the kids learn how to play good competitive sports OUTSIDE of school in summer, headed by a retired coach perhaps? AT LEAST TRY IT!
yep

Utica, NY

#3 Apr 4, 2012
Legally, the Town can't be involved with sports like: LL baseball, T-Ball, Legion Ball, Pop Warner football, AYSO etc. under NYS Town laws. An incorporated Village or a City are also prevented from doing so. Reasoning for this is that all of a governmental entity's citizens must benefit from the use of public funds. Example: The Town can't build a baseball field to be solely used by LL, it must be made available for use by all of the Town's citizens. If the Town built such a field, it is incumbent upon the Town to schedule usage so all may benefit.
Little League

Utica, NY

#4 Apr 5, 2012
Does this include little league??
Little League

Utica, NY

#5 Apr 5, 2012
Thank you for your information YEP!
Thought that WAS town little league last year.
Need more information on this situation.
Special Person

Utica, NY

#6 Apr 7, 2012
I wonder if that "special person" in the neighborhood has been acknowledged for the many many donated hours of his time for the field? Might be a nice idea to say thank you for all his efforts over time.
Kids sake

New Hartford, NY

#7 May 21, 2013
Not only did the town of forestport have to get a coach from boonville, now all children over 11 have to go to boonville to play little league baseball. The program has been neglected and gone downhill.there may be no youth baseball for forestport next year.Still waiting for that"special person "that cares enough about the town kids and little league.
Last Year

Watertown, NY

#8 May 21, 2013
Just popped on this site, not familiar with the topic, but it appears on reading this, that requirements have changed, but what happened to those who used to get this group up and running?
Don't your kids mean anything to you.......town involvement or NO town involvement.
Appears emphasis is being placed on the wrong things in this community.
Also, the mink situation for your children in your town STINKS.
Where are your priorities when it comes to fun and enjoyment and fellowship that should be instilled in your youth. They are your future.
Just am saddened to read this...and would be for any community who shows they care less than they should.
Still can't get over your mink thing!
scooterball

New Hartford, NY

#9 May 21, 2013
the most important thing to the town is the scooter's team , and raking in the bucks from concessions by the athletic association .Who runs that association anyways? Shame on them for not doing more for the kids.
Bubba

Gloversville, NY

#10 May 21, 2013
scooterball wrote:
the most important thing to the town is the scooter's team , and raking in the bucks from concessions by the athletic association .Who runs that association anyways? Shame on them for not doing more for the kids.
I think the athletic association does a great job in keeping the field in great shape , so the teams that use it can have a well kept place to play ball , the assoc. puts a lot of time and money to keep the field in the shape its in , who else is doing anything for the kids ? I think they do a great job ...
really

New Hartford, NY

#11 May 21, 2013
Are you sure you are talking about the same Association? It is the town's field, the town maintains it.....They dropped the ball when it comes to the kids and Little League.How do you figure they put money into the field?
Bubba

Gloversville, NY

#12 May 21, 2013
really wrote:
Are you sure you are talking about the same Association? It is the town's field, the town maintains it.....They dropped the ball when it comes to the kids and Little League.How do you figure they put money into the field?
The town runs the play ground at the town hall , go look at it , then go look at the ball field , do you really think the town maintains the ball field , get real ... go play tennis , or basketball , or take your kids on the swings , nice isn't it , the town also maintains the bridges in town , nice job there also ....
tax dollars

Watertown, NY

#13 May 21, 2013
Wonder what was in the budget for Youth Recreation and the playgrounds, and then moved elsewhere. That is if in fact there were any funds budgeted in the beginning.
People, we need to get a committee to watch what is going on re: our tax dollars budgeted, and any transfers, etc. etc.
The past few years of Bridge maintenance tax dollars budgeted vs. the amount actually spent on them over time in this community should give us all a clue.

AGAIN as someone wrote on here a while back, we need a citizens committee, and see what really happens with the approved funds and where they were transferred to, among other indiscretions in the fiscal process. I use the word discretion here for a purpose.
citizen committee

New Hartford, NY

#14 May 22, 2013
Town workers maintain the ball field, mowing etc..When exactly are athletic association meetings and who is in charge of this association? It is hard to believe that kids have to travel all the way to Boonville to play little League , this association that runs the kids baseball program is mainly concerned with the adult softball Scooters team obviously. There has been Little League in Forestport since the early 1960's for the children.Now the kids have to play in Boonville . Yes, the basketball and tennis court is a joke- no net,no fence,no fun. Maybe the athletic association can help with that too if they are so great.There should be a committee to watch them as well, they use town property to make money(concession stand), does the town get reports as to how much money this association takes in every year and where the money goes? The town should make sure the association's profits actually go to the children too .
Bubba

Gloversville, NY

#15 May 22, 2013
citizen committee wrote:
Town workers maintain the ball field, mowing etc..When exactly are athletic association meetings and who is in charge of this association? It is hard to believe that kids have to travel all the way to Boonville to play little League , this association that runs the kids baseball program is mainly concerned with the adult softball Scooters team obviously. There has been Little League in Forestport since the early 1960's for the children.Now the kids have to play in Boonville . Yes, the basketball and tennis court is a joke- no net,no fence,no fun. Maybe the athletic association can help with that too if they are so great.There should be a committee to watch them as well, they use town property to make money(concession stand), does the town get reports as to how much money this association takes in every year and where the money goes? The town should make sure the association's profits actually go to the children too .
not a member so don't know when the meetings are , but I'm sure the town has an answer for you about the assoc., go ask , and I do know that the fence and the setup of the field was according to the little league , maybe if someone would have come forward to manage the LL team last year , we would still have a team , I don't know the facts , but if I wanted to know I would ask someplace other than here .....also if everybody on topix that said start a committee would start one we would be all set ....
Odin

Bronx, NY

#16 May 23, 2013
citizen committee wrote:
Last I knew the field on Dutch Hill was one of the best around.
noo

Boonville, NY

#17 May 23, 2013
They realigned the little league this year. To include 8 and 13 yr olds. I am sure Forestport doesnt have enough kids to make a team of 11-13 yr olds that would be why they combined them. Probably if they didnt there wouldnt be a team at all, since Little League in this area is 8-10 now.
noop

New Hartford, NY

#18 May 23, 2013
We are part of the Boonville little league now .Minors are 8-10 yrs.. Majors are 11-13 yrs. With a little effort Kids could have been found to have a major team so that we could participate in the major division, nobody cares in forestport anymore about little league ,including the athletic association, that's why we had to go to Boonville to find a coach .Kids in Forestport have also always been able to play baseball for free ,but now 11 yr olds from forestport have to pay the 30.00 fee to play in Boonville as well.Boonville athletic association meetings are announced in the Boonville herald, never see announcements for forestport athletic association meetings.Private organization?
another loss

Rome, NY

#19 May 23, 2013
The above post by NOOP is disheartening. For the lack of caring, Forestport has lost the identity of local youth by having to become part of the Boonville group.

Not downing anyone, but for gosh sakes, Forestport parents years back were right there to see good things come to the kids by keeping them busy and plain old tuckered out.
Need I remind any of you of the 1st Hockey team that was to be formed through the gifting of equipment and state of the art liner for a hockey rink along with skates and equipment?????

It never happened.......and you all know why!!
Don't let ANYTHING, and I say it again, DON'T LET SOMETHING AS IMPORTANT AS KEEPING OUR YOUTH ACTIVE IN OUR COMMUNITY TAKE PRIORITY OVER KEEPING THE CHILDREN BUSY.

THEY ARE THE FUTURE OF FORESTPORT.
sherry paschke

Lacona, NY

#20 May 23, 2013
Instead of all you on here bashing the ones donating their free time to do what we can, maybe you should get out of your chair and away from the computer and offer your time. Get involved and find out what is really going on..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thendara Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dani "Danielle Zehr" 1 hr Captain obvious 14
Ms tatts 2 hr Bogus 10
supervisor 3 hr Taxpayer 29
Flags on North Lake Road Sat Memorial Day 1
Port Leyden Field Days (May '08) Sat 1281e7391628jshk 54
Lowville woman charged with DWI Sat Serious 26
Grieving parents May 22 seriously 38
More from around the web

Thendara People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE