Last post wins

“Old Dinner Bell”

Since: Mar 13

" Home Sweet Home "

#21599 Apr 13, 2014
I helped the boss lady paint a few pots and fill them with flowers knowing the temps will be in the 30's in a few days. So, are we optimistic or foolish?( Be nice !)

“Never let your fear”

Since: Apr 11

decide your fate

#21601 Apr 13, 2014
Jem1957 wrote:
What are they Grey Mustang? Don't want to make them by accident. Winning with my friends while my internet lets me.
It was something like 1 egg, 1/2 cup of flour, a little salt, and some milk, 1/2 cup maybe? So you heat up your oven to 400 something degrees, and after a certain amount of time, turn it down to 300 something degrees and let it cool a little, and they are supposed to 'pop' over the pan. Like muffins sort of. The recipe was posted in a cast iron group I'm in on facebook. Anyway, they were terrible.

On a good note- it's mushroom season! My husband found several morels yesterday, and we went hunting for some today, but didn't have any luck. Hopefully next weekend will be better. We we just getting ready to get out in the woods and my contact fell out. I had to close one eye in order to be able to see properly and I felt like a pirate lol. Of course, we were too far away from home for me to go back and get my glasses. So I wasn't much use at finding anything today anyway.
moth woman

Washington, NC

#21602 Apr 14, 2014
good morning folks, i hope everybody had a nice weekend.
omb, better cover your plants for a few days. we're going to have redbud winter here. or is it blackberry winter? whatever the winter, it's going to get cold!
gm, i have some friends who hunt morels, they call them 'dry land fish'.
have a good monday!
WINNING!

“Never let your fear”

decide your fate

#21603 Apr 14, 2014
moth woman wrote:
good morning folks, i hope everybody had a nice weekend.
omb, better cover your plants for a few days. we're going to have redbud winter here. or is it blackberry winter? whatever the winter, it's going to get cold!
gm, i have some friends who hunt morels, they call them 'dry land fish'.
have a good monday!
WINNING!
I am so glad you mentioned blackberry winter, almost no one else I know other than my family knows what it is! lol I have said that to people before and they have no idea what I'm talking about. I thought blackberry winter came in May though. ;)

“Merry Christmas!”

Since: Jun 11

Happy New Year!

#21604 Apr 14, 2014
Good morning, Everyone!

I think any cold spell that comes after a period of warm spring days can be called Blackberry Winter. I bet if we were to go into the woods today, we'd find the wild vines in bloom. I bet Natalie can tell us if the blackberries are blooming now.

We had some stormy weather last night and everything is wet today. And it's chilly!

I hope everyone is off to a great start on this new week.

:)

“Old Dinner Bell”

" Home Sweet Home "

#21605 Apr 14, 2014
Blackberry winterFrom Wikipedia,
Blackberry winter is a colloquial expression used in south & midwest North America, referring to a cold snap that often occurs in late spring when the blackberries are in bloom. Other colloquial names for spring cold snaps include "Dogwood winter," “Whippoorwill winter,” "Locust winter," and “Redbud winter.” The different names are based on what is blooming in particular regions during the typical spring cold snaps.[1][2] Another colloquialism for these spring cold snaps is "Linsey-Woolsey Britches winter," referring to a type of winter long underwear which could be put away after the last cold snap. The Blackberry winter term may have arisen to describe the belief that a spring cold snap helps the blackberry canes to start growing.[3]

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#21608 Apr 14, 2014
What?

“There's No Place Like Home ”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#21609 Apr 14, 2014
Natalie wrote:
Dickens the Blackberrys are not blooming yet sweetie I think it is red bud winter . The next one should be dogwood winter then as GM said along about may it should be blackberry winter . Then after that it should be fine to put out any thing anyone wants to . The petunas and the Minnie ones want me to buy them but I keep telling them no . I have such a penchant for flowers and the garden departments are so pretty right now . That's how I usually buy my expensive flowers The zonal geraniums and such they get a little frost burn and I buy them take them home pull the damaged parts off and miracle grow in a week or so you cant ever tell .
The red buds are definitely blooming Natalie. They should be called "Purple" buds instead of red buds.
Has anyone found any morels around here yet? One of my friends said it is too early.
My Internet is some better tonight but I don't know if it will last once it rains. We are going to wait and cover the lettuce bed tomorrow night.
I wish it wasn't cloudy so we could see the moon eclipse later....
Winning with all my friends.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#21610 Apr 14, 2014
Natalie wrote:
Dickens the Blackberrys are not blooming yet sweetie I think it is red bud winter . The next one should be dogwood winter then as GM said along about may it should be blackberry winter . Then after that it should be fine to put out any thing anyone wants to . The petunas and the Minnie ones want me to buy them but I keep telling them no . I have such a penchant for flowers and the garden departments are so pretty right now . That's how I usually buy my expensive flowers The zonal geraniums and such they get a little frost burn and I buy them take them home pull the damaged parts off and miracle grow in a week or so you cant ever tell .
I see dogwood blooming...

“Never let your fear”

decide your fate

#21611 Apr 14, 2014
Our blackberries are not blooming yet either, they won't for a while yet. They have gotten their leaves though. Everything is slowly getting greener each day :D
moth woman

Washington, NC

#21612 Apr 15, 2014
good morning folks, i can't believe we're expecting snow today. its spitting rain out there right now.
winter won't go away!(hang in there, natalie!)
WINNING w/friends!

“Merry Christmas!”

Happy New Year!

#21613 Apr 15, 2014
Good morning, Everyone!

The sunshine is brilliant but it's so cold!

....and all the tender little grass blades said, Brrr, what happened? and the budding leaves and flowers could only bow their heads to the cold wind and shiver.......

“There's No Place Like Home ”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#21614 Apr 15, 2014
It is snowing and raining here but it is not sticking. He just now covered the lettuce bed-It is suppose to be cold tonight. Hope the peas and cabbage and onions make it.....
I only got to watch the eclipse a little online.
Glad I got chili fixens at the store. I only like to eat it when it is cold.

“Merry Christmas!”

Happy New Year!

#21616 Apr 15, 2014
Jem, the night sky over me last night was as dark as could be so I didn't get to see any pretty heavenly sights. There are supposed to be a lot of shooting stars during the next few nights so maybe we will still get to see something awesome....if it's not too cold to stand out!

I've never seen sunshine any brighter than today....so pretty...so chilly!

Winning in Paintsville!

“E A D G B E”

Since: Oct 10

3rd String is the G String

#21618 Apr 16, 2014
Hi Natalie and all,
We are a little later than you with the lettuce and onions. We just got the ground ploughed and we knew the frost and snow was coming.So,we waited. We are not planting any potatoes, but if we were, we would stick with our tradition and put them in the ground on Good Friday.

“Never let your fear”

decide your fate

#21619 Apr 16, 2014
I can't wait to plant my garden. I'm waiting on my husband to have time to till the spot so we can. I don't know what I'm planting yet though. I want to can some stuff this year...

“Merry Christmas!”

Happy New Year!

#21620 Apr 16, 2014
Good morning, Friends!

“E A D G B E”

Since: Oct 10

3rd String is the G String

#21622 Apr 16, 2014
Natalie wrote:
misty we have not fixed the ground yet . In the bottom we have a place that we had wood chips dumped .The only thing that grew there last year was horse weeds so we put the onions out early and the onions . I have more sets and lettuce seed . Just a trial early onions and lettuce . My husband said he did not think it would hurt the onions but he did not know about the lettuce . When we come back next weekend We probably will start the garden .
Did you know the old people use to put out beans and corn on good Friday ?
Yes, I did know that because my grandmother taught me. We will probably plant some beans Friday. We use the Farmer's Almanac and check the signs before we plant or can..... things like that. My granddaughter still likes an occasional bottle, and IMO she is a bit too old. The signs are perfect on Friday to throw all her bottles away. She gives a mean look everytime she hears me say that too. lol
You have a good time Natalie!

“Old Dinner Bell”

" Home Sweet Home "

#21624 Apr 16, 2014
Natalie wrote:
We use the signs to plant to Misty . I am afraid you are probably right grand daughter is big enough to take off the bottle , Sippy cups now are so nice they don't tip over and spill . Get her a few she wont mind much I don't think . I took the bottle from mine when they could hold a cup and drink successfully . I will be thinking of you all .
I agree Natalie. Those sippy cups are great. I have several, but the Flintstones is my favorite.
moth woman

Washington, NC

#21625 Apr 16, 2014
good evening everybody, it's nice to see all these WINNERS!
natalie, have a good time on your vaca, that part of the coast is beautiful.
my columbine is ready to bloom if tonight's frost doesn't get it.
lol omb.:P

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thelma Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 10 min Putins Puppet 161,144
Jennys Creek High School (Sep '10) 10 min my opinion 32
Angie Davis Hall 19 min Sheesh 1
Sheriffs office a dirty swamp 25 min handles 3
Trump's wall will cost $1 BILLION for every 62 ... 39 min Trump is a FAILURE 6
Recc 1 hr Peanut butter 1
🌟🌟Last Word First Word Game ... 1 hr playa 139

Thelma Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Thelma Mortgages