Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 149566 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#128839 Apr 20, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well I am starting with the first one. Not a word about what is a Christian.
Matthew 7:13-17
King James Version (KJV)
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
I am assuming if you(known fact) feel this is what a Christian is, then if I am not bringing evil fruit, then I am a Christian. So an atheist could be a Christian if he brings good fruit? Could a Muslim be a good Christian?
Oh, and the believers of the day (Jews) were sure Jesus was a false prophet. He failed the tests of their scriptures. Till this day most Jews still feel this way.
So is this faith?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128840 Apr 20, 2014
Oh, and there is more...so the leaders of the religion were hypocrites. Well I see nothing has changed a bit.

Matthew 23

New International Version (NIV)

A Warning Against Hypocrisy

23 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 2 “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3 So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. 4 They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

5 “Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteries[a] wide and the tassels on their garments long; 6 they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; 7 they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi’ by others.

8 “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128841 Apr 20, 2014
Still nothing about what a true Christian is, but I can see someone interpreting it in this fashion. You know, like doing what they say so they can be greeted as priest or pastor.....Same story, different day. Hypocrites pushing rules they never follow.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128842 Apr 20, 2014
And there is more. So you think god is like a dictator king who kills someone for attending a dinner in clothes that are not proper?

Matthew 22

New International Version (NIV)

The Parable of the Wedding Banquet

22 Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying: 2 “The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son. 3 He sent his servants to those who had been invited to the banquet to tell them to come, but they refused to come.

4 “Then he sent some more servants and said,‘Tell those who have been invited that I have prepared my dinner: My oxen and fattened cattle have been butchered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.’

5 “But they paid no attention and went off—one to his field, another to his business. 6 The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them. 7 The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers and burned their city.

8 “Then he said to his servants,‘The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited did not deserve to come. 9 So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’ 10 So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, the bad as well as the good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests.

11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. 12 He asked,‘How did you get in here without wedding clothes, friend?’ The man was speechless.

13 “Then the king told the attendants,‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

14 “For many are invited, but few are chosen.”

I hope you feel that means the people claiming to be Christians that do not turn the other cheek and such are not wearing the proper clothes.
But I am sure it can be interpreted a million other ways.

Maybe if the Jesus had simply said what a true Christian is, their would be less dispute among Christians.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128843 Apr 20, 2014
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
You do not know the definition of a true Christian..Matthew 7:13-17 and 21-23 Notice Jesus' words recorded there.
No, I do not know what a true Christian is, and you sure did not clarify it any better. I see what words are claimed to be of Jesus here. Not that I even think it is verbatim of what a man named Jesus probably said, as I understand it is highly unlikely to record such a thing without the written record accurately, as in this case. No one took dictation of what this supposed man said. You cannot even prove such a man existed, much less prove he said any of this.
But I digress.
Again, it fails to show a single word about true Christianity. It does show a lot about what someone thought was hypocrisy. I like that attitude. I try to show the hypocrisy here daily, and the Christians nay say it without reason.
For some reason, I feel I would be in agreement with this Jesus more so than the proclaimed Christians here on many issues. Clearly not on many of them, but the blatant hypocrisy of the religious we would certainly agree upon.

Oh, and for the record, I do think JW's at least do attempt to be less hypocritical of what Jesus advocates than many other sects. And I do respect that more than you would probably expect. Not that it negates the contradictions, but it is something positive to say.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128844 Apr 20, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
So stop running , and maybe yyou might learn something and then you may be able to discard your failed mormon and failed catholic diplomas
Blaming what I think upon my Christian upbringing is not really helping your case. If your god could not make it clear to believers, and this holy ghost cannot clear it up, what are we to use, our logical brains? Well that is what I am doing, yet you guys seem to think my brain is controlled by a devil or something.
Evidenced by your post, a Christian must be born of "real Christians" so as to not be taught by false Christians.
Look, my parents love to thump on the bible just as much as yourself. They really do not sound any different to me.
Oh, and they will clam up in a heartbeat if you ask a hard question, just as you do. Again, you are not really much different than they.
I think I recognized their silly ways as I do yours, and just did not blindly accept them.
Again, I am pretty sure you follow the same religion as your parents. You clearly do not question.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128845 Apr 20, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, to you,being an atheist , there is no contradiction ,as your beliefs are grounded on " anything goes
Try backing that ridiculous claim up with something I actually said. BTW, my name is Mike Duquette. I used Mike D a few times when I had trouble logging on my phone.
I do not switch my name regularly like you do. I am not Richard Dawkins, Darwin, or anyone else you may feel represent my views.
Debate what I claim, not what others claim, as I do not claim others views as my own, unlike yourself.
I am Mike Duquette. Get it straight for once in your life, or I will certainly call out your lies.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128846 Apr 20, 2014
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
You do not know the definition of a true Christian..Matthew 7:13-17 and 21-23 Notice Jesus' words recorded there.
I see you ran from every point in my post. I really tried to answer to yours. Do unto others pal. Live by your mentor or look like a you have the improper clothes on at the dinner.

Reply »

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
1 hr ago

Mike Duquette wrote:

<quoted text>Ever think our desires or morality is not all that bad? Note how we do not fill our jails, but Christians do?
Part of my personal moral philosophy is based upon guilt. If I wrong someone, I feel guilt. That guilt is not a good feeling. So that feeling is far less satisfying than doing good. I get very good feelings emotionally when I help someone. And all studies on this show it to be the norm in humans. I suppose a psychopath may not feel these, I am not sure on that. And we have laws to try and keep psychopath in check.
On the other hand, Christians wipe away this guilt by praying to a god. It does nothing to fix the transgressed problems though.
And thus in my philosophy, trying to right my wrongs by helping those I transgressed is the mechanism I use to wipe my guilt away. You see, the net result is a better society, in my opinion.
Sadly these sort of philosophies are not spoken about enough, in lieu of religious philosophies, which we can see are not all that perfect as I showed and the jails full of believers testify to.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128847 Apr 20, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
We certainly don't mind that YOU don't take part in celebrating our Saviour having risen from the dead.
However , we do welcome the presence of the 20% of atheists who attend church on a weekly basis.
20%? Sounds like atheists go to church more than believers.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128848 Apr 20, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you resort to distortions in order to defend your shaky and crumbling faith.
I BELIEVE ,I do not insist.
You are the one who mocks the existence of God or Gods while also claiming that you may be wrong.
Your mental gyrations are not based on belief,they are based on what you think is convenient at any given time...In the last 2 weeks you have gone through 3 different conversions
Atheist, to secular humanist to free thinker.... What's next? One dare not imagine....
And yet all three of these labels do not mean he is claiming he cannot be wrong. Does your position allow for the same? No. So you still remain the fool according to your standard cited, no matter if you insist or not. You have claimed to be one hundred percent sure. That leaves no room for an open mind.
You have zero recognition of contradiction.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128849 Apr 20, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain to us the meaning of the Biblical verse dealing with animal semen.
I await patiently. With popcorn, as usual.
Lookk it up and figure it out for yourself... The answer is there for those who are able to discern it.
If it has to be explained to you, you'd still not be able to grasp it

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128850 Apr 20, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Proof of what? That Jewish people still exist? Color me blown away.
Even after so many groups of Christians tried so hard to kill them off. Maybe they are the chosen people? But it is clear many of the survivors of the exterminations gave up on the idea a god exists at all.
Christians keep showing the gods do not really help anyone........except kids finding lost dogs. But of course that is a faith based claim, as zero evidence exists of the claim.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#128851 Apr 20, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Lookk it up and figure it out for yourself... The answer is there for those who are able to discern it.
Why even respond if you refuse to answer the questions?
It is clear, you do not have answers. Now go eat your Jesus and drink some blood like a good vampire.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128853 Apr 20, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Why even respond if you refuse to answer the questions?
It is clear, you do not have answers. Now go eat your Jesus and drink some blood like a good vampire.
Go eat some sh#t with marquis Desade, when you've had your fill bring your favortie sheep a bottle of wine, and a bouquet of roses,if she bleats, you can use that as a sign that she consented...... You know the rest
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128854 Apr 20, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>My personal interpretation is moral reasoning. You are simply showing you wish to see rules in a book and my refusal to accept them blindly will get me scorched.
I keep asking you to show me the facts, or the scriptures that show moral reasoning. You keep refusing. I can only conclude they do not exist. Prove me wrong if you can. Telling me I am wrong means nothing, as this is my dispute with the bible, in case you still have no figured out my point as of yet.
I know the basis for your reasoning and that is precisely the problem.
You , Yiago and Pre K want me to fall into the trap of answeing a questio framed on your arheist beliefs, where you choose to omit the reasons and objectives given for the Jews entering into the covenant with God.
I don't care if you don't believe in God or the objectives and reasons as to why they entered into said agreement.
List ALL the pertinent information , then I will deal with answering it.
I know why you want to avoid going down that road . You have attempted to circumvent what you believe my response will be in some of your other posts.... Attempting to justify your answer to a question I have not yet asked.... and may not ask....
I will admit , you, Yiago and pre K are very adept at twisting and omitting relevant facts in an attempt to gain an unfair advantage.
Cry , complain and whine all you want. You all prepared the snare , but this bird is not going to fly into it..........
We will play on a level playing field or not play at all
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#128856 Apr 20, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am sure the churches are overflowing today. Simply shows most who are going do not really believe as much as you wished they did. They do not believe going weekly is important. I am sure many doubt many of the things the bible claims, unlike the few who attend weekly.
And I am sure many are attending today for social reasons, and not superstitious reasons.
Just as I am sure most are not hunting Easter eggs in reverence to the goddess Ester.
Rituals.
LOL There you go again, a confused mind expressing opinions that he knows to be false and hoping against hope that he may be right.
The many who attend go there with the specific objective of celebrating the Ressurection of their Lord and Saviour. The 20 % of Atheists who attend religious services on a weekly basis
are well aware of the message that will be delivered. Obviously they are willing to listen to that message.
They are there searching for those things that atheism can not provide
As a result they will experience the tremendous joy and peace of mind that will be experienced by those present.

They will be told that life has a meaning and a purpose , as God intended and Christ so aptly expressed . " I have come so you may have life and in its fulness
Compare that to attending an atheist service , where you will be told that we are here as the result of some unproven accident, that life has no meaning and that your descendants were great Apes . Not much to rejoice about and much to make you depressed

I ,also am sure that they are not there for superstitious reasons , They are there to worship their creator. The 20% of atheists in attendance are there searching for answers that Atheism
is totally unable to provide.
He Is Risen and is Lord of All

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#128858 Apr 20, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You were simply asked a question. And as we have demonstrated, it is a given that they followed the rule because they think a god approved it, so what is the point of repeating it to ask you a simple question?
All I keep seeing is the same old dodge. You have been asked many different ways about these barbaric laws, and you keep running from having to answer them.
And yet you wonder why we do not accept the claims?
It is clear to me, the answers only show the contradictions.
What reason do you have for not stoning someone today?
This might be an opportune moment to remind everyone of curious initial reaction when he was accused of supporting genocide, slavery, etc....

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/moorman-ky/TE...
Khatru wrote:
No, you're wrong.

Amongst other things, your moral code means defending genocide and infanticide. It means you approve of the murder of homosexuals, as well as anyone else who wishes to exercise religious freedom.

Furthermore, you base your whole moral system on an unproveable supernatural being. Y and A has already demonstrated how he's prepared to kill for those morals.

You'll excuse me if I prefer the foundation of good solid non-belief for building my ethics. My morals can be based on verifiable common interests, known causes and known consequences.
Curious' response..........

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/moorman-ky/TE...
curious wrote:
Only an Atheist can spout so much nonsense in 3 paragraphs,which a normal person could only accomplish by writing a book.

Where did Jesus instruct his followers to kill anyone,regardless of their beliefs ? That is one of your numerous lies.
Kill homosexuals , nowhere to be found in his teachings nor to kill those who did not accept his teachings.You are a BLATANT LIAR and a fountain of misinformation.

"You'll excuse me if I prefer the foundation of good solid non-belief for building my ethics. My morals can be based on verifiable common interests, known causes and known consequences."
That is a lot of empty words with no comprehensible meaning
You see how his initial approach was to distance himself from the accusations by displaying faux outrage.

Clearly, the idea of having to defend mass murder, slavery, homophobia, etc didn't appeal to curious so he tried this approach first.

Despite him calling me a liar, he is still defending genocide, slavery, etc; which only proves my point.

Cambridge, UK

#128859 Apr 21, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
What is it about Christianity that makes it's adherents so frightened to face up to questions?

No doubt having to relinquish your conscience to an outside agency ill equips the believer to deal with enquiry.

Now, run along and mutter at the ceiling fan like a good little Christian.

Cambridge, UK

#128860 Apr 21, 2014
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Why even respond if you refuse to answer the questions?
He's beaten.

He can't answer the many questions levelled at him and all he has left is bile, hatred and invective. Which, co-incidentally, happen to be the three cornerstones upon which Henbuilds his faith.

Cambridge, UK

#128861 Apr 21, 2014
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I know the basis for your reasoning and that is precisely the problem.
You , Yiago and Pre K want me to fall into the trap of answeing a questio framed on your arheist beliefs, where you choose to omit the reasons and objectives given for the Jews entering into the covenant with God.
I don't care if you don't believe in God or the objectives and reasons as to why they entered into said agreement.
List ALL the pertinent information , then I will deal with answering it.
I know why you want to avoid going down that road . You have attempted to circumvent what you believe my response will be in some of your other posts.... Attempting to justify your answer to a question I have not yet asked.... and may not ask....
I will admit , you, Yiago and pre K are very adept at twisting and omitting relevant facts in an attempt to gain an unfair advantage.
Cry , complain and whine all you want. You all prepared the snare , but this bird is not going to fly into it..........
We will play on a level playing field or not play at all
We just want an honest answers to honest questions.

Unfortunately, it appears that when you disabled your conscience you also disabled your honesty.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thelma Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Bar (Jan '13) 33 min Sharlene45 10,433
Last post wins (Nov '10) 1 hr -Prince- 24,539
Add a word, drop a word (Nov '10) 1 hr Dickens1 11,945
Elevate Church? 2 hr WHATTTT 25
What happened to Tim Caldwell??? 2 hr Friend 5
Nancy is a SHE DEVIL 3 hr you think 117
Thieving Joyce Estep 3 hr need tums 52

Thelma Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance