Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 20 comments on the Jan 5, 2011, The Cincinnati Enquirer story titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#97014 Apr 15, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
Hey ya all.....before I started rambling up there, I noticed a freezing temperature warning for Harlan County tonight, Tues,(Wed, A.M.) over on the right side of the screen with all the junk. Hope it don't happen and ruin your spring. Better turn those bulbs on again for the chickens.
Freeze warning for most of Kentucky and I did turn those chicken's light on before dark. Your post on the shaving cream reminded me of the Brylcreme hair dressing. It was not so good when you mistook it for toothpaste. LOL
sPam

Jackson, MO

#97015 Apr 16, 2014
Recently moved out in the sticks one state over .. south side. So anyways ..
these ppl here told me tooth paste was invented here. I didn't believe it and said something like Nu uh ... and they proceeded to tell me Uh hu ... utter wiZe it'b called teeth paste. True story. I'm sure 'they' were bs'n me, but I didn't wanna hang out to further inquire. I just smiled and moved on outta there.

It's cold here, but thankfully none of that ssss .. ssNOOOOOow more winter, please mudder !! lol

Nite Kentucky :)

PS, sorry about spamming ya and going off topic. I did hear geese moving back last week, though they are quiet tonight.
Paula

Louisville, KY

#97019 Apr 16, 2014
Omg retail therapy soooo good. Picking up my better half soon. Loven the sunshine as long as there's no more snooooooooooooow lol.

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#97020 Apr 16, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
@ Imposter & Wolf..........bout this B & W thang! We were the last three boys at home out of eight kids and every Fri. evening Pap took us all to town for Mom to get what groceries we needed. Well, that was bad enough, have'n to sit in that car while she went into the IGA store. But afterwards, we always went to Pap's folks house........so he and Grandpa could watch those da-n box'n matches......they had a TV, you see......Now,.....picture it,......three young boys who were just a scratch'n to fight after sitt'n still so long, then Mom sat us all three, spread out all over that room and said, "Now, stay there!" ......and we had to be still for them "fights." UUmmph!..Now the Gillette story. Remember how that guy would lather up his face with about two inches thick of white cotton? I, for one, have "NEVER.....NEVER" used that much shaving creme. Besides, I use the gel now and "a little bit'l do ya!"
Growing up we did not have a TV but our bachelor neighbor did, so Mom let us go over and watch a few shows a couple times a week. We preferred Sky King and Flipper but he liked wrestling. Dick the Bruiser etc. he always told us if he fell asleep to wake him up when his show came on.. Sure. Lol.

Location hidden

#97021 Apr 16, 2014
imposter wrote:
<quoted text>The price of mortar laid cut stone was around twelve dollars a square foot back when I was in the business, I dont know much at all about those newer landscaping stone that you pin together. The ones I laid came from the quarry squared off, but the mason (me at the time) had to face each one of them by hand with a chisel. I'm sure you've seen those old stone walls and bridges at state parks. All this talk about rocks reminds me- I need to get started on my yearly rock garden, they sprout just fine, but none of them will grow. Good luck with the wall Anne girl it sounds like a fair price to me.
Other people think I have a good price to get that wall up. So I've given the landscaper guy the green light.
Facing those quarry stones had to be pretty hard work-- it makes my hands ache just thinking about it. Lol. I have seen "your" rocks at state parks etc and I do like them. My rock garden is coming along just fine also... It's a geode garden, some if them are medium brown but others are white. I've got a couple white geodes that are as big as an adults head but most are softball size.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#97022 Apr 16, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
<quoted text>
Other people think I have a good price to get that wall up. So I've given the landscaper guy the green light.
Facing those quarry stones had to be pretty hard work-- it makes my hands ache just thinking about it. Lol. I have seen "your" rocks at state parks etc and I do like them. My rock garden is coming along just fine also... It's a geode garden, some if them are medium brown but others are white. I've got a couple white geodes that are as big as an adults head but most are softball size.
There is an old country (now abandoned) grocery store in Mercer County Kentucky near Shakertown on Hwy 33 where the entire front of the building including 2 arches is made of mortared geodes... quite unique.
grandpaw

Nashville, TN

#97027 Apr 16, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text> There is an old country (now abandoned) grocery store in Mercer County Kentucky near Shakertown on Hwy 33 where the entire front of the building including 2 arches is made of mortared geodes... quite unique.
It has 3 arches now

Location hidden

#97028 Apr 16, 2014
Lol, I got some of that retail therapy in this evening also, Paula!!

I would love to see the geode arches!! On a much smaller scale--the neighbors house used to have twin bird baths made with the brown geodes. On Prince Edward Island there is a small church made completely of bottles. As you can imagine it really catches your eye when you drive by.
imposter

Busy, KY

#97031 Apr 17, 2014
I still have one of those dimes Wolf. I have a 1932 mercury dime that papaw gave me when I was about 10. The thing is worth about fifty bucks now but I wouldn't take a hundred for it. Thunder road was a good movie but they had already torn down the movie house by the time it came out, I seen it at a drive in at the foot of the mountain on the Virginia side. I remember the 66 ford fairlane we went in better than I remember the movie or the girl I took. I think her name was Margret and she had brown hair, but I KNOW that fairlane had a red interior.
imposter

Busy, KY

#97033 Apr 17, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a small semi-circle wall I laid up out of those quarry rocks in my back yard.
When we would get done with a project the home owner often wanted all the left over stones hauled away, so I accumulated a pretty big pile of them over the years. Funny thing about those rocks, they seem to get way heaver as a man gets older.
imposter

Busy, KY

#97034 Apr 17, 2014
Mississippi Man wrote:
Hey ya all.....before I started rambling up there, I noticed a freezing temperature warning for Harlan County tonight, Tues,(Wed, A.M.) over on the right side of the screen with all the junk. Hope it don't happen and ruin your spring. Better turn those bulbs on again for the chickens.
That happens to be the very county I am sitting in at this time. And it did indeed come a freeze here. That's OK we will be in full spring in another week or two. Old man winter has to sleep too.
imposter

Busy, KY

#97035 Apr 17, 2014
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text> Freeze warning for most of Kentucky and I did turn those chicken's light on before dark. Your post on the shaving cream reminded me of the Brylcreme hair dressing. It was not so good when you mistook it for toothpaste. LOL
Its hard to find a decent hair pomade these days.

Listen to me, acting like I am a dapper dan man like that guy on O brother where art thou. Everyone knows I slick my hair down with possum fat.
ToAnne52

Saugus, MA

#97038 Apr 17, 2014
My husband and I have just had another violent fight concerning our five-year old son Timothy, and I desperately need you advice.
My son adores playing with a doll I bought for him last Xmas. He spends hours with it, putting doll clothes on it and feeding in on doll dishes. this aggravates his father to no end and several other adults have made nasty remarks about it too.
Personally, I see nothing wrong with Timothy playing with this doll because it is a sailor doll. He puts a little white hat and uniform on it and I think the image is totally masculine. Why is it when a little girl plays cowboys and Indians everybody says she's a darling little tomboy, but when a boy plays with a doll they say he's queer? Please answer this.
lol

United States

#97039 Apr 17, 2014
ToAnne52 wrote:
My husband and I have just had another violent fight concerning our five-year old son Timothy, and I desperately need you advice.
My son adores playing with a doll I bought for him last Xmas. He spends hours with it, putting doll clothes on it and feeding in on doll dishes. this aggravates his father to no end and several other adults have made nasty remarks about it too.
Personally, I see nothing wrong with Timothy playing with this doll because it is a sailor doll. He puts a little white hat and uniform on it and I think the image is totally masculine. Why is it when a little girl plays cowboys and Indians everybody says she's a darling little tomboy, but when a boy plays with a doll they say he's queer? Please answer this.
Nah, sounds like he's going to be a good husband and a good father. What wife doesn't want help with the kids... A good dad/husband Is hard to find... Any way, guys tend to call them "action figures" not dolls. If its a true doll, not an action figure then its great he is seeing the need a "baby" would need.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#97040 Apr 17, 2014
imposter wrote:
<quoted text>That happens to be the very county I am sitting in at this time. And it did indeed come a freeze here. That's OK we will be in full spring in another week or two. Old man winter has to sleep too.
Crazy week.. snowing on Monday.. Mowing on Thursday
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#97041 Apr 17, 2014
imposter wrote:
<quoted text>Its hard to find a decent hair pomade these days.
Listen to me, acting like I am a dapper dan man like that guy on O brother where art thou. Everyone knows I slick my hair down with possum fat.
Yep, Everett did not want FOP. Just don't be like Pete and let one of those sirenes turn you into a horny toad. lol
imposter

Busy, KY

#97046 Apr 17, 2014
Wolf I laughed so hard it hurt when Delmar said that the first time I seen that movie.
My last fling almost killed me man, it certainly did, almost broke me up too, I think I'll steer clear of them Sirenes and start trading at Kroger again instead of save a lot and the dollar store.
All kidding aside, I think those days are over for me and realizing that only enhances my contentedness and I really just dont care much for it anymore.
Now I know I am getting old and I just dont care about that either lol.

Goodnight Ky and surrounding areas, thank GOD for this fine day.

Location hidden

#97049 Apr 17, 2014
imposter wrote:
<quoted text>I have a small semi-circle wall I laid up out of those quarry rocks in my back yard.
When we would get done with a project the home owner often wanted all the left over stones hauled away, so I accumulated a pretty big pile of them over the years. Funny thing about those rocks, they seem to get way heaver as a man gets older.
I wouldn't even think of trying to lift a single rock of mine! We'll have to use a front end loader or a bobcat. I'm really excited about getting started on the wall. My landscaper says he has some really good ideas using those old basement stone and some old well wall stones.

Now, imposter, about your flings! My dads friend, now 76, has a cute little 6 year old boy. His first and only. Enough said.---heeheehee---
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#97057 Apr 17, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
<quoted text>
My dads friend, now 76, has a cute little 6 year old boy. His first and only. Enough said.---heeheehee---
Well,.........I guess he's certainly to be commended, however........he made his "Grandpa years" rather..........shall I say,....Difficult!..whoe boy!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#97063 Apr 18, 2014
Anne52 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, imposter, about your flings! My dads friend, now 76, has a cute little 6 year old boy. His first and only. Enough said.---heeheehee---
That reminds me of my favorite line from John Wayne's movie "The Cowboys" spoken by Roscoe P. Browne (Mr. Nightlinger) when he told that old Madame "I have the inclination and most assurdedly I have the where-with-all; but quite frankly Madame, I just don't have the time"--- hahahaha

It only takes one proper time for those little fishes to swim upstream and being contented comes with knowing you might still have the where-with-all, but you just don't have to spend every waking moment looking for a swimming hole or waste all your time and resources floundering around in a dry creek bed or eroded gully LOL @Imposter... see you at Kroger hehehe

My career in developing software mainly involved Accounting systems where one must compare liabilities versus assets. From my perspective at that old guy's age, the liabilities far outweigh the assets.... and too many of the assets these days are on the couch.. lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Thelma Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 5 min ChromiuMan 136,269
Cody Spencer arrested selling drugs 48 min drug dealer 4
Add a word, drop a word (Nov '10) 1 hr Analog man 9,839
song title game (Apr '11) 2 hr Analog man 5,633
Last post wins (Nov '10) 3 hr Hey Its Emma 21,520
Cops behind PB Hall (Dec '13) 6 hr Wondered 113
Vehicle damaged at Walmart 7 hr piggggg 5
More from around the web

Thelma People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]