Are The Villages the best place to re...
Spruce Creek Resident

Grand Island, FL

#22 Feb 19, 2010
Adi wrote:
After several years of visiting and renting homes around The Villages and after studying and looking for retirement homes else where in the country, we selected that The Villages with very little imperfection since we can't please every one is the best place to retire. I just couldn't believe to hear people talk so negatively about this place. If you're complaining about the people who lives here as nasty old people I wonder about yourself. I suggest please look in the mirror. People in The Villages are the most friendly, helpful and generous. May be not all peole are like that but in my Bonita neighborhood
9 out of 10 people are the most friendly. The Villages always try to perfect their services to make us happy. If you buy a home and not happy with it, you have 1 year to tell them to correct every single thing in the house until you're happy. If you enjoy yourself, you will meet a lot of nice people and enjoy the rest of your life here in The Villages with your new friends.
Too crowded, BONDS in the thousands with every new home, many old farts, some very mean, very thrifty people always ordering water with luch or dinner, cheap tippers, men always wear white sneaks and cheap looking multi stripe shirts from Bells Outlet - the (.99 specials, many early birders looking for a cheap meal at 3PM, most are pushy and forgot what please and thank you salutations are for. Many from NYC and Long Island complete with dilect and attitude, most drive a Mercury Marquis, the official oldfartmobile and you can go to the Town Square evry night and see the worse fcking dancing you will ever witness. Other than that it is a great place. Moving to Florida, move to the beach area, Clearwater, St Pete Beach. The Villages is Gods Waiting Room.
Veritatis

Orlando, FL

#23 Feb 23, 2010
The villages are full of people who long ago chose to commit genetic suicide by choosing a career over children, or having very few. They all want to move to a place where they can live in a fantasy world where everyone is white and they are not reminded that they helped bring about the collapse of Western Civilization by not reproducing.
Retiring

Walnut Grove, CA

#24 Mar 4, 2010
Bernie wrote:
We have lived in the Villages for years. We love the clubs and having everything so near. It is so big that you always find people from your hometown and with your interests. However, we are looking at other places because we wish the homes weren't so close together, with so much traffic and we need an indoor pool. Place we are looking at has a fitness center, indoor pool included in a very low amenity fee which includes your trash pick-up. You get a better built home with a great view for less money.(plus walking trail) The Villages is a good place but not for everybody.
Thanks for the info. What other places are you looking at now, and how do they compare to The Villages?
Stacey

Clermont, FL

#25 Mar 6, 2010
My husband and I are not retirees, and do have children, but decided to move here to get out of Orlando. We both work from home so we can live anywhere. We absolutely love it here. There is a high elderly population, but there are people our age too. We always find very nice, friendly, courteous people. It's a different way of life, a slower pace, not a rat race. It's a town to be enjoyed. You feel safe here and there are lots of things to do no matter what age. If you're retired or in the medical field, you will do well. Lots of friends to be made. You are close to Ocala and about 45 minutes to Orlando. There's a ton of shopping and restaurants. Everything you need is within a short distance.
Bernie

Ocala, FL

#26 Mar 6, 2010
The Villages will win hands down for the most to do but you have to look at all the pros and cons. We are looking at both Stonecrest(right near the Villages) and Del Webb Country Club at Spruce Creek, 5 min north of The Villages. We have friends in both who are very happy. Both will give us more money to spend on traveling and the grandchildren. We will also return to the Villages for entertainment, polo, and to visit friends. There are many nice developments in Florida but since we have lived in this area, we are staying close to our friends.
Ray

Grand Island, FL

#27 Apr 3, 2010
Bernie wrote:
The Villages will win hands down for the most to do but you have to look at all the pros and cons. We are looking at both Stonecrest(right near the Villages) and Del Webb Country Club at Spruce Creek, 5 min north of The Villages. We have friends in both who are very happy. Both will give us more money to spend on traveling and the grandchildren. We will also return to the Villages for entertainment, polo, and to visit friends. There are many nice developments in Florida but since we have lived in this area, we are staying close to our friends.
Stonecrest is top notch and you can get to The Villages by golf car which Spruce Creek does not offer. Houses are nicer and newer in Stonecrest and the amenities are superb, pools, club houses and rec center.
LMP

San Antonio, TX

#28 Apr 3, 2010
Mary wrote:
It's a wonderful place to live. I'm a nurse here. Don't believe what you hear or read about STD'S AND AIDS. Lots of rumors are from us old people love to gossip and grumble. Majority are very nice and extremely friendly and helpful.
It's hot and humid here in summer but the winter months are delightful and that's the payoff. Hot and humid brings bugs although Ii'ver never had a problem. Had the same issues in North Carolina and Kansas City so it's nothing new to me. You adapt.
Lots of small housing and plenty of single women for you. They out-number single men by ALOT!!
The "bond" is the cost of the infrastructure: sewers, streets, power, water and natural gas installations. In most markets that is added into the price of the home. Here it's a separate charge and can be paid for thru your property taxes over a 20yr. period. Yes-I will pass my balance on to the next owner because if I paid it off I couldn't add it to the price of my home when I sell , esp. in this soft market.
Come for a visit. Just call the 800# and tell them you want a "preview" visit. They're very helpful.
Lotta redneck republicans.
LMP

San Antonio, TX

#29 Apr 3, 2010
Veritatis wrote:
The villages are full of people who long ago chose to commit genetic suicide by choosing a career over children, or having very few. They all want to move to a place where they can live in a fantasy world where everyone is white and they are not reminded that they helped bring about the collapse of Western Civilization by not reproducing.
LOL....Some of 'em got kids. Others have STD's and pass 'em on, so I've read.
Peter

Colorado Springs, CO

#30 May 8, 2010
My wife and I just spent a month at The Villages and were extremely pleased. I don't think I found one unfriendly person. In fact, I would say almost everyone was extremely happy. The cost of living, for what you get, is extremely reasonable. Comments about STD's are ridiculous. There are more conservatives than liberals living at The Villages. Suits me fine!
Manual LaBore

Grand Island, FL

#31 Jun 20, 2010
Peter wrote:
My wife and I just spent a month at The Villages and were extremely pleased. I don't think I found one unfriendly person. In fact, I would say almost everyone was extremely happy. The cost of living, for what you get, is extremely reasonable. Comments about STD's are ridiculous. There are more conservatives than liberals living at The Villages. Suits me fine!
It all wears off after you live here for a few years. A lot of sex going on, many widows and golf widows who are having a great time. Not unusual to find married women having affairs with the pool boys and grounds workers when hubby is at play on the course. A lot going on my friend, come join the fun.
Steve Lightcap Jr

Port Orange, FL

#32 Aug 11, 2010
www.TheVillages.HouseMaster.com
#1 Home inspection company since 1998! over 8000 inspections performed.
annon

Ocoee, FL

#33 Sep 16, 2010
From the perspective of a business owner in the service industry, I would have to say that "Villagers" are very cheap and unwilling to pay fairly. They are glad to exploit people and their environment.
Don The Villages

AOL

#34 Sep 21, 2010
People that hate the villages would not be happy anywhere they are the ones we the villagers dont want them to live here.
Polly

Lady Lake, FL

#35 Oct 16, 2010
atwell wrote:
nothing bit a bunch of mean old people. you treat people like crap.what kind of people move from family and friends to go to a place where they dont know any one?selfish people.Then they all move to one place called the villages.Not florida's friendliest home town.Its the meanest people i have ever seen in my life.one good thing your time is limited thank god.
omg, I'm glad Atwell is not my neighbor. I know the type of person he is "meane". We don't need meane, self-absorbing people in The Villages. When you move to The Villages, Villagers become one anothers "new families". There's no place like it! Don't be deterred by a meane old person's opinion!
Marilyn

Lady Lake, FL

#36 Nov 7, 2010
Beth wrote:
That site has like no info and looks to be almost dead. I think going to Naples or below would be a good idea as the
Villages can be very cold.(like it is now)
As a owner in The Villages for 7 years now and a previous owner in Naples for 25 years. Yes it is warmer in Naples and very beautiful.
Still no comparison to The Villages. I love it here and when I visit Naples to see family I can't wait to come HOME..... Homes are built pretty much the same all over just like anything there are always some corners cut somewhere. I myself am very happy with my home in The Villages
Marilyn

Lady Lake, FL

#37 Nov 7, 2010
atwell wrote:
nothing bit a bunch of mean old people. you treat people like crap.what kind of people move from family and friends to go to a place where they dont know any one?selfish people.Then they all move to one place called the villages.Not florida's friendliest home town.Its the meanest people i have ever seen in my life.one good thing your time is limited thank god.
I wonder where and who you visited with in The Villages I have lived here for 7 years and must have missed all those mean old people.....I've only been treated with smiles and very happy people I wished I would have meet you I would have given you a big smile of mine just to cheer you up.....
Marilyn

Lady Lake, FL

#38 Nov 7, 2010
Retiring wrote:
Am retiring shortly. Heard that the Villages were the place to retire in Florida! Is this really true? I'm a single male, so I only need a small inexpensive home. What does it actually cost to live in The Villages? Would South Florida be better a better place to go?
Best thing to do is just come and visit. I love it here in The Villages. Depends on what your interests are in. But, then there is so much here to keep you interested in..... Loving life here in The Villages. Glad to be out of Naples after 25 years It used to be a great place to live....
Former Villager

Lady Lake, FL

#39 Nov 30, 2010
Marilyn wrote:
<quoted text>
Best thing to do is just come and visit. I love it here in The Villages. Depends on what your interests are in. But, then there is so much here to keep you interested in..... Loving life here in The Villages. Glad to be out of Naples after 25 years It used to be a great place to live....
Lived in The Villages for 5 years. I moved across the street to Stonecrest, less congested, less money bigger bang for your buck, NO BONDS, great facilities, a short golf car ride to The Villages. A lot of houses blew down during the Tornado in the Villages and that is why I moved.
Living in the Villages

Lady Lake, FL

#40 Nov 30, 2010
Love all the activities but hate the crowding everywhere. My friends nearby seem so happy in the smaller developments where they have more beautiful homes, yards, gyms,indoor pools and real gated communties. They don't have the traffic and the nasty people who crowd you out everywhere like in here, You can only do so much a day and they say they are plenty busy. Only reason we are still here is we will take such a loss on our home. Many pre-owned homes on the market, along with foreclosures in here.
Lois

AOL

#41 Dec 1, 2010
I am interested in moving to The Villages this summer. I am a single senior, retired attorney who wants to meet and mingle with new friends. I was thinking of renting at first and would like to be in a social village. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Villages Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Defense against Zika 4 hr Just me 3
Talk Of The Villages (TOTV) (Jul '14) Sun Just me 430
Home sales in The Villages slowing down Aug 21 Morgan 1
News Democrat asks Villages to stop playing Hillary ... Aug 19 Mikey 6
Hillery the lier Aug 18 Fido 5
surveylance cameras needed Aug 16 OURFUTURE 5
my buddy Nick Berthold Aug 14 ThickNickThick 1

The Villages Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance