|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

hemipowered wrote:
Look, yes this job iS probably not the best thing ever. But you could be like me, and have been working for crap contracting companies for over ten years, 5 of them skipping out on payroll and closing the doors without notice. Because of things like this I've been trying for years to get in with an established company that at the very least, I know won't be going out of business. I start my training next friday and while I'm not over excited, I'm happy that maybe for once I can go a full year working steadily. I've had much worse jobs than this doing DirecTV, dish network and Comcast, so everyone on here crying like a little baby, you should appreciate having a job. I'm sure this job is rough, but work while you look for another job elsewhere. My plan isn't to move up in the company because it sounds like that isn't a real life scenario for most. My plan is to go to work everyday, do my job correctly like I always have, go home and play with my son. This is better stability than I've ever had, I've been a temp for the last two years doing networking, audio video and everything under the sun, I'm a jack of all trades man. But I never know if I'm working tomorrow, and its real stressfull. So now I'm done with my rant, good luck to everyone out there doing this kind of work, we are a different breed and should be respected more, but alas, the world ain't perfect. If anyone is starting march 8th in nor cal, ill see you there. Again best of luck and sorry for the venting.
You're from the Pacoima area and you're starting in Norcal? Or that's just your hometown? I'm in the same boat as you, but at any point if this job gets to be as bad as people are describing regarding management and all that, I'm out. I've had one too many jobs where I've put up with unneeded stress and relentless ass-chewings, so as far as I'm concerned this is just a resume booster.

Also, what do you Cali prem techs wear for work? They told us to show up first day in khakis and polos, but I'm not gonna go out and buy a crapload of that if we don't actually have to wear it on the job...
hemipowered

Stockton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

CableCowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You're from the Pacoima area and you're starting in Norcal? Or that's just your hometown? I'm in the same boat as you, but at any point if this job gets to be as bad as people are describing regarding management and all that, I'm out. I've had one too many jobs where I've put up with unneeded stress and relentless ass-chewings, so as far as I'm concerned this is just a resume booster.
Also, what do you Cali prem techs wear for work? They told us to show up first day in khakis and polos, but I'm not gonna go out and buy a crapload of that if we don't actually have to wear it on the job...
I agree with leaving if its to bad. I've dealt with a lot of terrible management, this isn't an end game career to me right now. Who knows that may change, ill just have to see. My guess is that most of these people just aren't used to the industry. It takes a lot out of you, I'm used to it unfortunately. it nay be the worst job I've ever had, but I'm sure contracting under ADT will still hold that title. Never again...
Bama08

Deer Park, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

tommy cable guy wrote:
<quoted text>
how long after you took the test? I passed a week ago and still waiting
It took me just over two months for everything from taking the test at Pearson Vue to the hire date
n0rthwall

Campbell, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Hey guys,

I'm in my 3rd week of training as a Prem Tech, and with the job market the way it is, it isn't horrible. The tests are not difficult, they just require a bit of effort on your end to pass.

As for what to wear, the first day of orientation is business casual, but training is pretty lax. Long sleeves the first week, and after that jeans and tshirts. You will get ATT branded apparel after a couple weeks, but you won't need it until you do ride-alongs.

FYI, their hiring process is looonnngg. I took the test in September 2012, RJP October 2012, and didn't get a call until mid January of this year.

In California, as I understand it, Prem Tech training is held at a few locations. San Ramon, San Jose (where I'm at), and San Diego. There are other locations, but for MST's and Splicers.

Hope this helps some of you. It seems like a decent job, and from the tech's ive talked to in the yard, it's just fine if you do your job like you're supposed to.
joe

Fullerton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Anybody have experiences with the hiring process for outside plant techs, why do they need a cdl? Are they gona have a lot of work here in california?
hemipowered

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

n0rthwall wrote:
Hey guys,
I'm in my 3rd week of training as a Prem Tech, and with the job market the way it is, it isn't horrible. The tests are not difficult, they just require a bit of effort on your end to pass.
As for what to wear, the first day of orientation is business casual, but training is pretty lax. Long sleeves the first week, and after that jeans and tshirts. You will get ATT branded apparel after a couple weeks, but you won't need it until you do ride-alongs.
FYI, their hiring process is looonnngg. I took the test in September 2012, RJP October 2012, and didn't get a call until mid January of this year.
In California, as I understand it, Prem Tech training is held at a few locations. San Ramon, San Jose (where I'm at), and San Diego. There are other locations, but for MST's and Splicers.
Hope this helps some of you. It seems like a decent job, and from the tech's ive talked to in the yard, it's just fine if you do your job like you're supposed to.
Do they pay for travel time or mileage for training? My orientation is in Stockton but I bet they send me to san Jose for training. I live in Stockton, im used to driving but that's a hike for the cut in pay I'm taking. I can deal with it but just wondered if they do any type of reimbursement for travel.
ATT wire tech

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Hello everyone, I've been reading through this forum and am getting mixed reviews. I am supposed to go take the test for TMTF-2 in a couple weeks and I was wondering if its worth leaving where I am. I currently install Promethean Activboards and distance learning equipment. I install and test Projectors, cabling, cameras, tv's, pc's, etc. I've been doing this work for over a year and make a salary of $35,000 a year. Which works out to around $16 and some change an hour but I am not eligible for overtime. I guess my big question is will I be able to make that or at least close to it starting out and do they provide a company vehicle or do you use your own. I'm going to keep looking through the forum before I decide but any advice would be appreciated.
Timmy

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Im having a issue reading the wage scale 6 I fully dont understand how much my first 6 months raise is gonna be, if there is anyone who would help me understand it just let me know thanks
CableCowboy

Santa Barbara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

n0rthwall wrote:
Hey guys,
Are you doing pole climbing training? What is the training like? If I recall correctly, here in SoCal we can't wear jeans on the job, but they may have just been talking about during the initial hiring process or orientation...I really hope we can because that's all I wear anyways...but if we can't I was just gonna wear Dickie's work pants or something. I don't do the fruity Dockers though.
joe wrote:
Anybody have experiences with the hiring process for outside plant techs, why do they need a cdl? Are they gona have a lot of work here in california?
OSP's need a CDL because they are responsible for possibly driving the large equipment trucks that you sometimes see when the line crew is out.
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

ATT wire tech wrote:
Hello everyone, I've been reading through this forum and am getting mixed reviews. I am supposed to go take the test for TMTF-2 in a couple weeks and I was wondering if its worth leaving where I am. I currently install Promethean Activboards and distance learning equipment. I install and test Projectors, cabling, cameras, tv's, pc's, etc. I've been doing this work for over a year and make a salary of $35,000 a year. Which works out to around $16 and some change an hour but I am not eligible for overtime. I guess my big question is will I be able to make that or at least close to it starting out and do they provide a company vehicle or do you use your own. I'm going to keep looking through the forum before I decide but any advice would be appreciated.
Welcome, to answer fully need to know what state your in, various states are in different districts, pay scales are set for each district (SW Cal pays more than SE Carolina's) also do you currently just work 40 for your 673/wk salary (16.83/hr)or do you work 45 (about 15/hr) or 50 (less than 13.50/hr, I will use 15 as example, 600/wk during training, and 10 hr/day 5 day week for 50 about 825, will vary based on working Sundays or not, about $1 raise after 6 months brings us to 640/wk at 40, 880/wk at 50. Overtime can be a large part of pay that you are not currently receiving, so pay answer is yes leave. Company provided paid training, paid uniforms (branded apparel), paid tools, phone, iPad, truck or van all for company business only, you do not take equipment or truck home. After first couple months (training and 1 to 3 months on your own you will join rotation scheduling that last eight weeks at a time, you will work 3 out of every four Saturdays and days off will be either Tue/wed (work Thrus. To Mon), or Sun,Thrus Off, or Sun, Mon (work Tue to Sat). In additional you will have either have AM shift (8am-4:30 to 7 pm) or late shift (10 am to noon start ends at 8pm to 10 pm), once dispatched on the job you stay till job is done, drive back to garage, clean truck and sign off.
I enjoy what I do but not for everyone hope this helps your decision to apply or not, best to you and yours.
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Timmy wrote:
Im having a issue reading the wage scale 6 I fully dont understand how much my first 6 months raise is gonna be, if there is anyone who would help me understand it just let me know thanks
Timmy wage scale 6 is for wire tech in SE (cwa district 3), find your current pay scale on chart example at 18 months your six month raise will bring you to 24 month pay scale. While not true across all raises it is an average of about 10% or $1/hr, the closer you get to Max the bigger the raise as your base is higher the same % would yield a higher raise . An additional raise comes at the time of the annual contract which is 2.5% and for most tech should be around a .40 to ,50 raise or add $16 to $20 week to base pay. Hope this helps.
ATT wire tech

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

I am in Knoxville Tennessee. I currently work anywhere from 50-75 hours a week in a five day period. And I get no overtime. Some days may be less but on average at least ten hours a day. I cover all of East Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, and the Carolina's. so I may drive up to eight hours round trip a day. Then we have to work. I do similar work and I like meeting new people and working in a different location each day so I think I'd be good with the job. I just didn't know how the benefits were and how the pay was. I looked online at the CWA website to see of they had union here yet but the last update was last year and said negotiations had broken down. Thanks again for the help.
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

For ATT wire tech the following will get you to highlights http://district3.cwa-union.org/news/entry/pre... and Google search wage scale 6 wire tech should bring up list would want (PDF) Appendix B. It appears starting wages could be 9 to 15 an hour depending on region within district so I will revise my previous to reflect 12.50 (500 wk), during training (7 weeks) would be making considerable less, after training on 50 hrs would make slightly more (about 685 vs 673), in six months see about $1 raise, plus 2.25%( not 2.5% as i had previous posted, sorry) increase in wage on Sept 1, so by end of year definite making more if you can get by the first 2 or 3 months on less. Paid from start of shift to end of day including travel time to and from jobs, everything over 40 hrs in a week is time and half (using example 18.50) if get on Sunday rotations the first 8 hrs is 1.5 pay plus counts towards your forty, would just need 32 more hours to make additional overtime pay that week. Note for the hours your working for the salary your making hours pay is not much but if you need to stay at that weekly level then to answer your question you would probably not be hired at what your currently making on weekly basis. Best to you and hope this helps.
Milwaukee PT

Waukesha, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Bama08 wrote:
<quoted text>
It took me just over two months for everything from taking the test at Pearson Vue to the hire date
Congrats, are you still with Comcast till training starts (3/8) or did you quit and do you believe your short time with Comcast helped your pay offer from ATT? What state are you in? Thanks in advance and looking forward to your replies.
TriplG35

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

CableCowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Congrats.... i start march 15. in So Cal
TriplG35

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Everyone seems to have mixed feelings about att. I always known of them to be a great company to retire with. I just got hired onto att. And compared to your guys wages... ill be making more an what you guys are mentioning. Its kind of surprising, and shocking. But if you think about it in the long run, what are your plans for retirement? is your company your at now able to provide what att does? or are you even working? All that starts factoring in now with a big time company like att. Im skeptical about starting there only because the training is a pass or fail course. And my job im at now is a great company, benifits are not as good as att. But, its a risk we all have to take when an option out there comes our way that is obviously better than where were at now. I honestly can say, if you feel good at your current job, then dont take this one, as long as you know it can provide in the end. Other than that.... give me 80hrs to work at att.... and the job will get done. Americans are getting so lazy now and days to where they dont want to work hard. Then they complain that why dont they have anything nice, or etc.... Im pretty sure if you let the great depression hit again, you will regret being lazy. anyways..... i say... take that risk. I rather fail at trying something, than not trying anything at all, and knowing the possibility of where it can take me.
hemipowered

Stockton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

TriplG35 wrote:
Everyone seems to have mixed feelings about att. I always known of them to be a great company to retire with. I just got hired onto att. And compared to your guys wages... ill be making more an what you guys are mentioning. Its kind of surprising, and shocking. But if you think about it in the long run, what are your plans for retirement? is your company your at now able to provide what att does? or are you even working? All that starts factoring in now with a big time company like att. Im skeptical about starting there only because the training is a pass or fail course. And my job im at now is a great company, benifits are not as good as att. But, its a risk we all have to take when an option out there comes our way that is obviously better than where were at now. I honestly can say, if you feel good at your current job, then dont take this one, as long as you know it can provide in the end. Other than that.... give me 80hrs to work at att.... and the job will get done. Americans are getting so lazy now and days to where they dont want to work hard. Then they complain that why dont they have anything nice, or etc.... Im pretty sure if you let the great depression hit again, you will regret being lazy. anyways..... i say... take that risk. I rather fail at trying something, than not trying anything at all, and knowing the possibility of where it can take me.
I agree completely. I may be one of the few that gets excited when I read about 60 to 80 hour work weeks. Bring it on! I too am concerned about the pass/fail testing. I'm very well versed in low voltage equipment and catch on really fast. But hell, everyone has there off days, I don't know how difficult any of the test are but I'm sure I won't have an issue passing. It's just that thought in the back of my head of screwing this up somehow. This is THE best opportunity I have ever been given, and I hope everything goes fine. Best of luck to you and everyone else on here reading through the massive pile of complaints from people who don't know how good they have it.
CableCowboy

Santa Barbara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

TriplG35 wrote:
<quoted text>
Congrats.... i start march 15. in So Cal
Thanks, you too! Where are you gonna be working out of? Have you started training yet? I begin training this Friday, but I'm waiting to hear back from Charter (I just took their online assessment..what a doosey, that thing was like trying to get through the S.A.T. in 5 minutes) and I've got an interview Monday for my dream job...if that goes well, I'm set and will be an extremely happy camper...if not, bring it on AT&T. I'm not scared to work hard and put in hours, and take a little heat from management if it happens, but, there is a limit. I'm looking forward to the climbing training too.
Bama08

Porter, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Milwaukee PT wrote:
<quoted text>
Congrats, are you still with Comcast till training starts (3/8) or did you quit and do you believe your short time with Comcast helped your pay offer from ATT? What state are you in? Thanks in advance and looking forward to your replies.
I'm in Alabama, it did not help with pay. ATT only accepts it if your there longer than 6 months. I have been with Comcast 2 months and have been working in the field with other techs which will help me at AT&T. I do have 56 college credit hours that will be helping with my pay I believe. I will be with Comcast till I start with AT&T. There are a few people who have left Comcast here for AT&T. I was told by one tech he is trying to leave and said if I don't he was gonna knock some sense into me lol. They are good people but I question management there with lack of support and backing when it comes to ethical issues. Ex. You have to cheat on some scans ( go to a different house or tap) to get scans to pass. This is the case when there is a problem with a le in the line or just need a line tech follow up. It makes it to where you have to lie and cheat to get by but if you get caught your into trouble but the scans have to pass. If they don't all they say is they have to pass. If you wait for the line tech you get into trouble for not making numbers but if you get " caught" going to other houses doing it you get into trouble and sent back to the house so then you get a repeat on yourself and that hurts your raise and you can get fired for repeats. It's a vicious cycle and is a known issue that management won't address.
junk yrd dowgs

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

ATT wire tech wrote:
if you are confertable where u are and ok with money few extra dolars for exchange of high stress factor and micro managed...i say to stay confertable. prim tech pisition first day of hire is the first day company starts to try to fire u ...write ups for att system not loging your test u run. Just remember every thing that can and will happen in your controll or not is your fault....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 6,341 - 6,360 of7,797
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the The Colony Forum right now

Search the The Colony Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 7 min Defiant1 21,166
Change A Letter Game (Nov '12) 12 min _Zoey_ 532
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of General ... (Oct '10) 1 hr why 383
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr why 16,806
Independent View of Wendy Davis 10 hr West Texas Independent 1
Democrats in texas? 20 hr pappy 3
TX Who do you support for Attorney General in Texa... (Oct '10) 21 hr David 640
•••
•••

The Colony News Video

•••
•••

The Colony Jobs