Rescuers refused to give up on San Leon woman

Sep 14, 2008 Full story: Houston Chronicle 31

Those who ignored evacuation orders in north Galveston County's coastal communities were alternately desperate and indignant in the hours after Ike left many stranded without power.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DebraU

Lake Jackson, TX

#21 Sep 22, 2008
Camella Devine wrote:
I would like to thank all the wonderful people in the community of San Leon that helped me look for my father Jim Devine. He was found Wednesday afternoon but did not survive IKE. He will be missed by his family and friends in San Leon.
GOD BLESS YOU ALL!
Camella,

I was just wondering...my sister used to live in San Leon on 9th St. right down the road from your Dad and sister...she lost everything when Ike hit. She has called you 2 times I think from the phone number that you painted on your Dad's house to find out where your sister is and if she survived Ike's fury. Do you have any clue where she is and/or have you heard from her? If so, please, please reply and let me know. My sister didn't have much, but what she had she cherished and it is all now gone...including her friend...so please either return her calls or reply to my message. And I am truly sorry for the loss of your Dad...even though you never mentioned your sister who lived there, too.

Thanks
DebraU

Lake Jackson, TX

#22 Sep 22, 2008
Cheerful wrote:
<quoted text>
I spoke the couple that live in the bay house behind them. They are fine. I think they had some flooding to the house and the pool looked really gross! But, the neighbors said they are ok!
Cheerful
Hello Cheerful,

I just wanted you to know that what you are doing is such a wonderful gift to the people that are so worried and going crazy about finding out information about their friends and loved ones. My sister lived/lives on 9th St. and what the water didn't carry away, the sludge took care of with a stench that cannot be washed away. My sister has been wondering about a friend of hers that lived on 9th St right at the water. Her Dad passed away, but there has been no word on the sister/other daughter that lived there, too. I believe that her name is Stephanie. I am sure that she is not at the house but maybe someone has seen her or heard from her. Is there any way that you can check for me? I would really appreciate it...as would my sister.

Thanks and God Bless you and your Kindness
Brenda Rucker

United States

#23 Sep 23, 2008
My Uncle Jeffery Gremillion (Jeff), and my 82 year old (special needs) grandmother Gloria Gremillion, who is also great grandmother to my wonderful 3 grandchildren who are very anxious to get to Texas to see her, is still missing. We just haven't had the money to get there yet from Alabama. As you know she is still missing from 907 14th St. in San Leon, Texas. I heard that Jeff is alive but don't know where he is other than some hospital. The paper reads that Granny was taken to Houston, but where? Her 8, 7 and 4 year old great-grandchildren want to know she is alright. Anyone with any information can email me at anytime. Thank you.
Brenda Rucker
brenda.rucker@hotmail.com
Eli

Spokane, WA

#24 Sep 25, 2008
DJJ wrote:
You put a distribution center with free food, free housing, gift cards, etc. and you'll find they don't need a vehicle to get there. Ask them to evacuate the island and all of a sudden they have no means to get out.
You're oversimplifying and relying on stereotypes when you start talking about "them" as if everyone who didn't get out stayed behind for the same reason. The fact is, a lot of people simply don't realize how powerful a hurricane can be until they've been through one. I went through two of them back in the 1950s, and I wouldn't be caught anyplace near where one was going to strike. Someone who hasn't experienced one will be thinking more in terms of a 40 or 50 mph wind storm, not understanding that the power of the storm increases exponentially with the speed of the wind. Sure, those folks who stayed behind made a really bad decision, but you're suggesting that they're just too lazy to go or that they somehow expect to benefit from their losses, and that's simply not a fair assessment. When the storm hit, they lost just as much as everyone who evacuated, and spent the night fearing for their lives as well. Show a little sympathy instead of attacking the victims.
Nancy Lombardo

Santa Fe, TX

#25 Sep 26, 2008
Leah wrote:
Does anyone know if the little cemetary by the water is still there? my baby girl is burried there.God Bless all of you that has lost family and homes
Yes it's still, there, I checked it out making sure my dad didn't wash away, I just got by there on the 23. lot of rocks washed up near the end, and stone wall is gone with vets name is gone but,in pretty good shpe.
brenda cummings mi

United States

#26 Sep 26, 2008
Camella Devine wrote:
I would like to thank all the wonderful people in the community of San Leon that helped me look for my father Jim Devine. He was found Wednesday afternoon but did not survive IKE. He will be missed by his family and friends in San Leon.
GO
D BLESS YOU ALL!
God Bless your Father, and God Bless you and your loved ones my prayers are with you! I have a brother in San Leon, and not a day goes by that I dont worry God Bless each and every person in San Leon your in my prayers Brenda Cummings Jackson MI
A human being

Leesburg, VA

#27 Sep 26, 2008
Before and after aerial photos.

http://geology.com/usgs/hurricane-ike-picture ...

Sat 9/13/08 Hurricane Ike Surfside Beach Aftermath

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beachadam/sets/7 ...
A Murray DeVries

League City, TX

#28 Sep 28, 2008
I grew up at 1127 7th street in San Leon. Does anyone know the condition of that area? I had a very dear neighbor Mrs. Nell Johnson that lived across the street and I would like to know of she is OK since I no longer have a contact number for her. Any information anyone could supply would be wonderful. Thank you so much and I am so sorry for all you have lost.
Paulette Mennem

Lenexa, KS

#29 Sep 30, 2008
I have friends in Texas City TX and have not heard from them since before Ike, has anyone seen or heard from them? They live at 409 21st Ave N, Texas City. Please if you see or hear from them, ask them to call me, they know the number. I am really worried about them. I keep calling them, but get no answer. I assume electricity has been restored to most if not all of the city by now. Please help me in finding my friends. Thanks,
Nancy Lombardo

Santa Fe, TX

#30 Oct 12, 2008
With the Graces of God, and the neighbors Jon and Sue Griesinger, My Mother/Brother were found to be safe,the Griesingers helpped them into their home and gave them dryclothes,untll the rescuers could respond.and get them to safety. It was not my mothers plan to stay, she was packed and ready to leave before, the surge had different ideas.
The rescuers didn't give up on her she had a heart attack during the storm, and my brother had gotten an infected leg, and both were hospitalized. Both are okay now,they lost everything in their trailer,But came away with their lives thanks to the God sent rescures.
Heather Johnson

Pasadena, TX

#31 Jul 20, 2012
Nell is my step grandmother. I just happened to stumble on this site. It's July 2012 now. If you didn't hear yet, she's fine and still lives there.:o)
A Murray DeVries wrote:
I grew up at 1127 7th street in San Leon. Does anyone know the condition of that area? I had a very dear neighbor Mrs. Nell Johnson that lived across the street and I would like to know of she is OK since I no longer have a contact number for her. Any information anyone could supply would be wonderful. Thank you so much and I am so sorry for all you have lost.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 5 hr weary taxpayer 773
Houston is a dump (Mar '10) Jan 27 anonymous 21
Home Decor and Nautical (Jan '14) Jan 26 Tylequious Jackson 2
Joseph John Radler Jan 26 ganny 4
Review: S W A P State Emission Vehicle Inspection (Jun '14) Jan 26 John 2
jacob wallace- missing!*&only family & friends ... (Jan '14) Jan 21 mary 34
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jan 19 Farts 612

Texas City News Video

Texas City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Texas City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE