Rescuers refused to give up on San Leon woman

Sep 14, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Houston Chronicle

Those who ignored evacuation orders in north Galveston County's coastal communities were alternately desperate and indignant in the hours after Ike left many stranded without power.

Comments
1 - 20 of 31 Comments Last updated Jul 20, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Evacuation Truth of Ike

Royse City, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2008

Let us not forget that Mayor Lyda Thomas stated that only the west end of Galveston Island was under mandatory evacuation and not any other part of Galveston County. When it became clear on Thursday that the Ike was going to be so destructive, Mayor Thomas stated "It is too late to order mandatory evacuation."

Why didn't she order mandatory evacuation? Because of money. Mandatory evacuation requires the city to provide transportation for the elderly and those unable to travel off the island. She would also have to arrange for a destination site. Why didn't she reach out to Mayor White of Houston and ask for guidance since she obviously does not have the leadership ability to run a little city 60,000. Mayor Thomas should be ashamed at the deaths she caused by not ordering the mandatory evacuation until hours before the storm. This is something she'll live with for the rest of her life, one longer than those who were killed because of her ineptness.
DJJ

La Porte, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2008

There wasn't anything keeping folks from leaving. How could it be Mayor Thomas's fault ?

Since: Sep 08

Puyallup, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2008

DJJ wrote:
There wasn't anything keeping folks from leaving. How could it be Mayor Thomas's fault ?
Lack of money and transportation keeps many folks from leaving, if it's to run from Ike, or whatever disaster. I don't think you can just hand out blame. Predicting where a hurricane will go is difficult, and if you are employed and leave and nothing happens after all, will you still have a job when you get back???
DJJ

La Porte, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2008

You put a distribution center with free food, free housing, gift cards, etc. and you'll find they don't need a vehicle to get there. Ask them to evacuate the island and all of a sudden they have no means to get out.
looking for friends

Katy, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2008

I am looking for my friends Mig and Jackie Howard. They lived @ 337 2nd street in San Leon...has anyone heard from them?
looking for friends

Katy, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2008

I am looking for my friends Mig and Jackie Howard. They lived @ 337 2nd street in San Leon...has anyone heard from them?
katsnkaty@yahoo.com

Puyallup, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2008

DJJ wrote:
You put a distribution center with free food, free housing, gift cards, etc. and you'll find they don't need a vehicle to get there. Ask them to evacuate the island and all of a sudden they have no means to get out.
Sad to say, you DO make a valid point. So I guess next time people don't leave, we tell them in advance, no rescue until at least 24 hours after the storm's over?
Karen S

Katy, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2008

I'm looking for my friends Tony and Rosemary Coma, in the 500 block of 2nd street in San Leon ... has anyone heard from them? I used to live at 510, and they were next door, but I'm not sure of the number sequence.
Aimee

Metairie, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2008

I am looking for Marilyn "Pepper" Montagute from Youree Ln. San Leon, Tx. Anyone with information please call me at acvallot@gmail.com. Thanks
Camella Devine

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

I would like to thank all the wonderful people in the community of San Leon that helped me look for my father Jim Devine. He was found Wednesday afternoon but did not survive IKE. He will be missed by his family and friends in San Leon.
GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

Friendswood, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2008

Camella Devine wrote:
I would like to thank all the wonderful people in the community of San Leon that helped me look for my father Jim Devine. He was found Wednesday afternoon but did not survive IKE. He will be missed by his family and friends in San Leon.
GOD BLESS YOU ALL!
WE ALL FEEL YOUR LOSE AND GRIEVE WITH YOU!!!! YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS, ALONG WITH MANY, MANY, OTHERS
Angela

Dickinson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2008

I live on 7th Street in San Leon, and if you will let me know if you are looking for somone, I will be more than happy to see if I can find them and let you know about them. I know that the fire department has been going house to house checking on people because there are still people missing. For those that are looking for people on 2nd street, if you have not heard from them, I will look. I know that there is no second street anymore, and some of the houses are not there. We were hit just as hard as Galveston if not harder. All of you who are looking for your family or have lost thier family members, you are all in my prayers. I will do what I can for anyone who needs my help in locating peeople. They are only letting residents into San Leon, so it's hard to get in here to find family. Send me an email at stantonab@msn.com
Leah

Livingston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2008

Does anyone know if the little cemetary by the water is still there? my baby girl is burried there.God Bless all of you that has lost family and homes
Cheerful

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2008

Leah wrote:
Does anyone know if the little cemetary by the water is still there? my baby girl is burried there.God Bless all of you that has lost family and homes
Yes the cemetary is there. Many of the headstones are knocked over and there is debris everywhere. But, it is there.
Cheerful

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2008

Camella Devine wrote:
GOD BLESS YOU ALL!
I am so glad you already found out he was found. I was absolutley dreading telling you this when I got home to the computer. So, sad... He was a sweet old man.

Cheerful
Cheerful

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2008

Karen S wrote:
I'm looking for my friends Tony and Rosemary Coma, in the 500 block of 2nd street in San Leon ... has anyone heard from them? I used to live at 510, and they were next door, but I'm not sure of the number sequence.
I spoke to Tony for you yesterday. His house is there and is damaged but they are just fine and will contact you as soon as they are able. He was sure suprised when I came walking up! But, very touched that you were looking for him.

Cheerful
Cheerful

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2008

looking for friends wrote:
I spoke the couple that live in the bay house behind them. They are fine. I think they had some flooding to the house and the pool looked really gross! But, the neighbors said they are ok!

Cheerful

Missouri City, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Camella Devine wrote:
GOD BLESS YOU ALL!
Camella, I am so very sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers along with all my neighbors of San Leon and their families.
Marcia Umland

La Marque, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

My brother Jeffery Gremillion (Jeff), and my 82 year old (special needs)mother Gloria Gremillion are still missing from 907 14th St. in San Leon, Texas. I heard that Jeff is alive but don't know where he is. I don't know if they evacuated or went to a shelter. Both of their cars are parked across the street from their old mobile home. Any information would be appreciated. Contact: Marcia_Umland@hotmail.com Thank you!
Marcia Umland

La Marque, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2008

Several neighbors thought my brother might have stayed during the storm. The trailer had water almost up to the ceiling and both cars had water. Any information would be helpful.
Thanks and again you can contact me at:
Marcia_Umland@hotmail.com

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Texas City Discussions

Search the Texas City Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 16 min Janie 17,163
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 21 min Defiant1 21,594
Island vaporium 7 hr Ccxxr 1
Winner of $12 million lottery jackpot has until... 8 hr Jiraphat 3
Cervelle Homes - Sedona (Feb '11) Mon Coventry Homes 56
TX Who do you support for Comptroller of Public Ac... (Oct '10) Jul 25 Wow 598
women (Sep '11) Jul 25 KyeKye70 3
•••
•••

Texas City News Video

•••
•••

Texas City Jobs

•••