DPS troopers under investigation

DPS troopers under investigation

There are 29 comments on the Texarkana Gazette story from Sep 14, 2006, titled DPS troopers under investigation. In it, Texarkana Gazette reports that:

Staff photo by Evan Lewis A Texas Department of Public Safety Trooper's car sits near the Texarkana DPS office Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Texarkana Gazette.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Robert McGee

AOL

#1 Sep 16, 2006
I am a retired State Police Officer, and I will be the first to state that any Trooper involved in this altering of paperwork recently should be punished. But that is exactly what should be done, punished, not fired. These are human beings like everyone else and they make mistakes like everyone else. Not a single Warning Citation given caused anyone to go to Jail, lose their livelihood or family homes. Why in the world would the administration of an Agency that holds itself out to the THE top law enforcement agency in Texas if not the United States be so ridiculous as to fire all of these people. This is not cost worthy for that Agency nor the public. These Troopers, who I understand have all admitted their wrongdoings, should be given time off without pay for a period of time that all would make each of them realize not to make this mistake again. NOT FIRED. Being former State Police, I can tell you that most habits in that field are learned and taught not self designed. The supervision should have caught these actions long ago if they were doing their jobs. But as any working stiff knows, it is easier to run off a few lower ranking persons to save face than look at what the heart of the problem may really be. I hope the public looks at this closely and realizes not only the expense of replacing these Troopers but the morals of the situation as well. I have worked with most of these men at some time in the last 17 years and although I not personal friends with all of them, I have never witnessed anything about any of them that would label them Crooks. They made a mistake, they done something wrong. I have seen career criminals be treated better than what these guys are getting. Do we send people to the death chamber for a Joint of Marijuana anymore? NO, so why kill these persons career over an altering of a warning ticket? Hit them where it hurts, in the pocket book and get them back to doing what we have paid out thousands and thousands of tax payers dollars for them to do, PROTECTING THE PUBLIC.
Bowie

AOL

#2 Sep 30, 2006
Is the Texas DPS is following mandated written procedure in the actions they have taken against the troopers?
Robert McGee wrote:
I will be the first to state that any Trooper involved in this altering of paperwork recently should be punished. But that is exactly what should be done, punished, not fired.
Under The Gun

AOL

#3 Sep 30, 2006
There really is no mandated policy on punishment, but there is past infractions of Troopers and there punishments that establish a pattern. That pattern is there are a lot more Trooper's that have done far way worse and they just recieved days off and probation. They are firing all Troopers when they are accused from putting the wrong times on 6 or 10 warnings which 2 Troopers did all the way to some Troop's actually makeing 9 to 10 warnings completly(sp)
Come around goes around

United States

#4 Oct 2, 2006
I know for a fact they have been at my old place conniving, when they should have been out doing there real jobs!! They need to learn a lesson. They are not and never will be above the law!

Since: Dec 06

wake village texas

#5 Dec 19, 2006
i happen to know several of the officers who were fired from this incident, and its all bull. thank goodness the city of dallas sees our mistake and can actually pay them alot more as city police than they were making here in this town, where people obviously didnt see what good these men did do.
release the press

United States

#6 Apr 22, 2007
East Texas DPS are nothing but a bunch of dope runners. Half the families are selling their drugs for them. Try to cut in on their action or take a piece of their business and they go ballistic, even knocking off the officers on the police force. The DPS gets the dope from people traveling to and fro HWY 59. And who's gonna believe a drug dealer when he goes to court and states, "Your honor I had two pounds of cocaine seized by law enforcement, not one."
BeeBee

Ralls, TX

#7 Apr 25, 2007
If that's true,
release the press wrote:
And who's gonna believe a drug dealer when he goes to court and states, "Your honor I had two pounds of cocaine seized by law enforcement, not one."
the dealer should say it loud and say it long. That's not right.:(

Wounded

Since: May 08

AOL

#11 Jun 6, 2008
Under The Gun
AOL Reply »
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#3 Sep 30, 2006
There really is no mandated policy on punishment, but there is past infractions of Troopers and there punishments that establish a pattern. That pattern is there are a lot more Trooper's that have done far way worse and they just recieved days off and probation. They are firing all Troopers when they are accused from putting the wrong times on 6 or 10 warnings which 2 Troopers did all the way to some Troop's actually makeing 9 to 10 warnings completly(sp)

So (Troopers when they are accused from putting the wrong times on 6 or 10 warnings which 2 Troopers did all the way to some Troop's actually makeing 9 to 10 warnings completly(sp)\

So was he not fired or was he given the privilage they are giving to all the lower than live piece of crap's?
They should be held to a higher standerd. They write ticket's take the peoples' income so they can sit on their duff's at home becasue they really are punk's who are in fear.

Either way fired or given the Dale Gentry shuffle so he can molest. Well hello he is an Estes'.
Jay L

United States

#12 Jun 6, 2008
Like I said, everyone's got an opinion, and your opinion about the Estes'is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to that. I'm not taking up for the guy. I was simply clarifying on the other thread that what has been posted in the past about him writing tickets on dead people and him being fired is not accurate information, in fact, not only is that information not accurate, it's completely wrong.

Also, I've read a lot of posts on these forums where folks have expressed their displeasure with the drug manufacturing, trafficking and use in this area, and about the people responsible for all that. It's ironic this particular Estes, who's been called several names and accused of several things here, was the subject of a recent newspaper article that documented his drug interdiction efforts which included numerous arrests and large drug siezures.

Since: Apr 08

Cottonwood, AZ

#13 Jun 6, 2008
Wounded wrote:
Under The Gun
AOL Reply »
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#3 Sep 30, 2006
So (Troopers when they are accused from putting the wrong times on 6 or 10 warnings which 2 Troopers did all the way to some Troop's actually makeing 9 to 10 warnings completly(sp)\
So was he not fired or was he given the privilage they are giving to all the lower than live piece of crap's?
They should be held to a higher standerd. They write ticket's take the peoples' income so they can sit on their duff's at home becasue they really are punk's who are in fear.
Either way fired or given the Dale Gentry shuffle so he can molest. Well hello he is an Estes'.
None of them had the surname of Estes dumbazz.

Wounded

AOL

#14 Jun 6, 2008
ToTellYouTheTruth wrote:
<quoted text>
None of them had the surname of Estes dumbazz.
So in other words Estes don't like to clame his criminal family member's.
I don't blame the so!
Hellcat

United States

#15 Jun 6, 2008
Jay L wrote:
It's ironic this particular Estes, who's been called several names and accused of several things here, was the subject of a recent newspaper article that documented his drug interdiction efforts which included numerous arrests and large drug siezures.
Could you please post that article or a link to that article?

Since: Apr 08

Cottonwood, AZ

#16 Jun 6, 2008
Wounded wrote:
<quoted text>
So in other words Estes don't like to clame his criminal family member's.
I don't blame the so!
So in no other words you don't know what you are talking about. None of the troopers that got fired were named Estes dumbazz. Two now work for TAPD and two work for BCSO.
Jay L

Biloxi, MS

#17 Jun 6, 2008
Hellcat wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you please post that article or a link to that article?
I've done a search on the gazette on line but couldn't locate it. It was approximately one month ago and it had a picture of that particular Estes on a traffic stop on I 30 with a pretty lengthy article. Sorry I couldn't locate it.
Jay L

Biloxi, MS

#18 Jun 6, 2008
TTYTT, the actual numbers on those folks was 10 Troopers, none work for DPS any longer. 4 work for TAPD, one works for Bowie County SO. Of the ten, three were terminated and two of those that were terminated are currently involved civil action against DPS.
Of the three that were terminated, Estes wasn't one of them.
Hellcat

United States

#19 Jun 7, 2008
Jay L wrote:
<quoted text>
I've done a search on the gazette on line but couldn't locate it. It was approximately one month ago and it had a picture of that particular Estes on a traffic stop on I 30 with a pretty lengthy article. Sorry I couldn't locate it.
Here it is -

Police deter, detour drugs, cash

Texarkana Gazette - Published: 03/17/2008

The Texarkana, Ark., Police Depart-ment is making travel on Interstate 30 safer for drivers and netting narcotics at the same time.

Officer Chris Estes with the TAPD works the drug interdiction beat and makes hundreds of traffic stops a year on the interstate to literally
curb lawbreaking activities that could disrupt drivers as well as drug dealers.

“You stop a lot of good citizens who are probably just passing through and are real friendly,” said Estes, who stops vehicles for traffic violations.

“They’re not necessarily local people. A lot of people travel through town, and we are also concerned for their safety,” he said.

In his 13-year law enforcement career, Estes has helped seize millions in drugs and cash discovered during traffic stops.

“One out of 50 cars I stop usually has drugs,” he said.

Estes said the most shocking thing about drug trafficking and enforcement is not the quantities that are being moved but who is moving them.

“Most would be surprised to know the people that are transporting the narcotics and how the age group varies,” said Estes, who has arrested “mules” in their 60s.

Mules go to pick up drugs and then bring them back to the distributors. Drug cartels, especially those dealing in cocaine and heroin, pay large amounts of money for people to transport drugs and cash cross-country.

“It’s not just young people that transport drugs. It could be ‘grandpa’ who can’t make it on Social Security and gets involved in transporting narcotics,” said Estes.“Then he gets stopped out here and marijuana is the first thing we smell in the car.”

“Grandpa” might make up to $4,000 for a one way trip, Estes said.

Estes has been with the TAPD since October 2007 and previously worked for the Texas Department of Public Safety for 7 years and the Cass County Sheriff’s Department for 6 years.

During one bust Estes found 100 pounds of marijuana, 6 kilos of cocaine and 100 Xanax pills to be distributed in Texarkana, said Officer Kristi Mitchell, spokesman for the TAPD.

“That was just one that was coming here,” said Estes.

“Usually the drugs are brought to town and dispersed through several different dealers,” said Estes.“They’re brought to one dealer and then sold through his various dealers, or he may have kept all of it and distributed it himself.”

Most drugs moving along I-30 are just passing through Texarkana on their way north from major cities like Dallas or Houston.

“The major cities is where they’re going to get it,” said Estes.“Houston is a big hub for drugs.”

During a traffic stop Estes made in Houston while still with the DPS he discovered more than $700,000 in drug related cash, Mitchell said.

“Drug traffic is like the interstate,” he said.“It runs both ways.”

More recently Estes collected 6 pounds of marijuana in a February 6 traffic stop on I-30 after he smelled a marijuana odor inside a Chevrolet Impala, Mitchell said.

The driver was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to deliver. Six pounds of marijuana is equivalent to $11,610, Mitchell said.

“The quantities depends a lot on the time of year,” said Estes.“There is more drug traffic toward summer time just because it’s summer and they can grow marijuana outside rather than in a house.”

The TAPD has been involved with the Selective Traffic Enforcement Program for about 16 years. The program is funded by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Mitchell said.
Hellcat

United States

#21 Jun 7, 2008
I found it in the archives. :)

Wounded

AOL

#22 Jun 7, 2008
(None of them had the surname of Estes dumbazz.)

Hummm what was that last name?

How many of those drugs did the above Estes take home as his other family can not account for.

Humm!

Nothing about that impressed me..
We have a JP that ate lunch one day with me and told how corrupt Walraven is.

Why not a Estes?
To this day I have not read anything that say's Estes was not one of the one's fired.
If he was not fired he was given the right to resign and go to work for another corrupt place.

That is the way law enforcement works here.
Hellcat

United States

#24 Jun 7, 2008
Wounded wrote:
If he was not fired he was given the right to resign
Yes.
Jay L wrote:
<quoted text>
he did resign from DPS.

Wounded

AOL

#25 Jun 7, 2008
Hellcat wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
<quoted text>
I think people would better understand it as the ole Overton Tx Roger Dake Gentry shuffle.
The "ole hand of the corrupt" cop!
Will he move on to write ticket's on the dead or?
Will he dig them up and molest them?
That is the point!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texarkana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shawn Hervey (Sep '16) 22 hr Fishman1 3
News Man gets five years for abusing puppy Wed MeSo 1
Wade Blundell Apr 24 hytoepeace 4
"kenny wayne & the kamotions"-1st. promo pix-1969 (Aug '08) Apr 24 Glen903 7
Who hires felons in Texarkana (Apr '13) Apr 22 None 31
Kathy Carter Apr 14 Willis Greenville 2
Old Kmart building Apr 12 None 12

Texarkana Jobs

Personal Finance

Texarkana Mortgages