Union Station in Texarkana sits empty

Posted in the Texarkana Forum

texark66

Pittsburg, TX

#1 Feb 10, 2013
While the historic Union Station sits empty, visit the link below to see what nearby Longview,Texas is doing to their old train station.

http://www.news-journal.com/news/local/depot-...
Chief Walksalot

Rio Vista, TX

#2 Feb 10, 2013
Union station isn't empty: it's filled with convicts. We should move the Amtrak station to the airport, and with the bus station on I 30, it's possible to get everyone together via bus, train, and air travel. Put in a sandwich shop, gee dunk machines, and a newsstand.(Does anyone remember the downtown newsstand by Union Station, back in the 60s? You could get out of town newspapers, paperback books and magazines.) Now, are there still daily flights to and from here? Businesses are very precarious in this town.
texark66

Pittsburg, TX

#3 Feb 10, 2013
In reply to your question "Chief", Texarkana Regional airport has three flights each day by way of American Eagle to D-FW. Amtrak service is daily from Chicago to San Antonio and three times a week the train runs all the way to LA. The Amtrak station is located in the old Railway Express portion of Union Station. The jail was not a part of Union Station, but a Postal facility that closed years ago.

Any move to the airport by Amtrak will have to be funded by the cities, or grants as Longview has done.

Since: Nov 10

Texarkana, AR

#4 Feb 10, 2013
I can't understand why anyone would want to ride Amtrak. Just looked up an imaginary trip from here to Denver where our kids live. First leg is 10 1/2 hours overnight to St. Louis, then after an 8 1/2 hour layover it is another 5 1/2 hours to Kansas Cit and another 1 hour layover, then 13+ hours to Raton ,NM and another 6 hour layover before you get on the bus for the final 4 hours to Denver. For two it is over $900.

We drive it two-three times a year. Takes 17 hours with an overnight stay in Salina, KS as opposed to 33 transit hours and 15 1/2 hours of down time. Pass.

Although I'll wager one could meet some very interesting people :-))

Since: Nov 10

Texarkana, AR

#5 Feb 10, 2013
Or we can drive 2 hours to Little Rock, spend an hour getting checked in, board a non-stop United flight for the 2 hour trip to DIA, pick up a rental car and be at the kids in another 30 minutes. Cost for round trip for two ~ $ 416 plus car rental for a week of $ 233 from Avis. A no brainer.
September Gurl

Texarkana, TX

#6 Feb 10, 2013
Tom Horn wrote:
I can't understand why anyone would want to ride Amtrak. Just looked up an imaginary trip from here to Denver where our kids live. First leg is 10 1/2 hours overnight to St. Louis, then after an 8 1/2 hour layover it is another 5 1/2 hours to Kansas Cit and another 1 hour layover, then 13+ hours to Raton ,NM and another 6 hour layover before you get on the bus for the final 4 hours to Denver. For two it is over $900.

We drive it two-three times a year. Takes 17 hours with an overnight stay in Salina, KS as opposed to 33 transit hours and 15 1/2 hours of down time. Pass.

Although I'll wager one could meet some very interesting people :-))
Amtrak wouldn't be so bad, Tom. I've always loved trains. What I would really like to do is hitch a ride on a boxcar and live on the rails for 5 years or so. I'd be a hoboette. What a life that would be , huh? I'd sing the song "King of the Road" all day...trailers for sell or rent, rooms to let 50 cents, no phone, no pool, no pets, I ain't got no cigarettes..
Chief Walksalot

Texarkana, TX

#7 Feb 10, 2013
September Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Amtrak wouldn't be so bad, Tom. I've always loved trains. What I would really like to do is hitch a ride on a boxcar and live on the rails for 5 years or so. I'd be a hoboette. What a life that would be , huh? I'd sing the song "King of the Road" all day...trailers for sell or rent, rooms to let 50 cents, no phone, no pool, no pets, I ain't got no cigarettes..
I don't know much about you, so I might ask questions that seem silly. Do you know where Hobo Jungle Park is? Do you know how it got that name? Back when I was young, the hobos lived in that bit of woods; they didn't bother anyone, they just wanted to rest before catching another train. We used to ice down railroad cars (Southern Ice Company) on a sidetrack back there. The hobos were always grateful for a few chunks of ice, particularly in summer. I ride Amtrak now and then, and yes, I have met some uhhhh....."interesting " people, most of whom I don't want to meet again. It's convenient for me as I can sit and read, sleep, and use the toilet while someone else drives. However, after 6 hours, it gets old and I am glad to arrive at my destination. I do not like where the current station is in TXK as, on my arrival back here, it is dark and it's not safe; I usually call a cab but it takes them some time to get there. Ft. Worth has a great setup: the Amtrak station is integral with the city bus main transfer point, and the TRE, which will take you to the DFW airport. The station has several fast food stores inside. There is a hotel close enough to walk to, if you prefer. I've never been bothered by hawkers or con men there, Security will run them off. As far as news kiosks go, I don't know of any in town; Books a Million has a few out of town papers, I guess. I haven't been in there in years as they never have what I want. Have fun.
September Gurl

Texarkana, TX

#8 Feb 10, 2013
Chief Walksalot wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know much about you, so I might ask questions that seem silly. Do you know where Hobo Jungle Park is? Do you know how it got that name? Back when I was young, the hobos lived in that bit of woods; they didn't bother anyone, they just wanted to rest before catching another train. We used to ice down railroad cars (Southern Ice Company) on a sidetrack back there. The hobos were always grateful for a few chunks of ice, particularly in summer. I ride Amtrak now and then, and yes, I have met some uhhhh....."interesting " people, most of whom I don't want to meet again. It's convenient for me as I can sit and read, sleep, and use the toilet while someone else drives. However, after 6 hours, it gets old and I am glad to arrive at my destination. I do not like where the current station is in TXK as, on my arrival back here, it is dark and it's not safe; I usually call a cab but it takes them some time to get there. Ft. Worth has a great setup: the Amtrak station is integral with the city bus main transfer point, and the TRE, which will take you to the DFW airport. The station has several fast food stores inside. There is a hotel close enough to walk to, if you prefer. I've never been bothered by hawkers or con men there, Security will run them off. As far as news kiosks go, I don't know of any in town; Books a Million has a few out of town papers, I guess. I haven't been in there in years as they never have what I want. Have fun.
Yep, I know exactly where Hobo Jungle
Park is. It got its name from the reason you stated. Hoboes would hang out in those woods that were adjacent to the rail yards. I'm sure you did meet some interesting people riding Amtrak. You can also meet some crazy, I mean interesting people on Greyhound busses, or in the old days Continental Trailways. Do you remember Hale's Newstand downtown off Front Street? They used to have tons of magazines and newspapers. I used to spend a lot of time in that store. Great memories. Hey, speaking of trains, what do you think about Tom Horn, you, and me leaving our homes and families and living out the rest of our lives as hoboes riding around in boxcars across the United States? Just like they did back the old days. No cellphones, no computers, no technology, no anything, except a few dollars in our pockets just to barely get by. But you and Tom would have to keep your hands to yourself. I'm a lady, remember?
texark66

Pittsburg, TX

#9 Feb 10, 2013
I try to book a sleeper on Amtrak trips. Meals are included in the diner with a sleeper ticket, not coach. Price is a lot higher then coach, but on cities I go to mainly north to Chicago, and St.Louis it is worth it to me.

Below is good web link for the Texas Eagle train that serves Texarkana USA.

http://www.texaseagle.com/
Chief Walksalot

Grandview, TX

#10 Feb 10, 2013
September Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, I know exactly where Hobo Jungle
Park is. It got its name from the reason you stated. Hoboes would hang out in those woods that were adjacent to the rail yards. I'm sure you did meet some interesting people riding Amtrak. You can also meet some crazy, I mean interesting people on Greyhound busses, or in the old days Continental Trailways. Do you remember Hale's Newstand downtown off Front Street? They used to have tons of magazines and newspapers. I used to spend a lot of time in that store. Great memories. Hey, speaking of trains, what do you think about Tom Horn, you, and me leaving our homes and families and living out the rest of our lives as hoboes riding around in boxcars across the United States? Just like they did back the old days. No cellphones, no computers, no technology, no anything, except a few dollars in our pockets just to barely get by. But you and Tom would have to keep your hands to yourself. I'm a lady, remember?
Yes!!! Hale's newsstand! I'd go there and find various big city papers, lots of interesting paperback books, and magazines on various topics.
Sorry, I'll pass on riding the rails. I used to pull a "Route 66" when I was younger, but that's not for me any more.
As far as the Old West goes: I'd love to go back for a few weeks and enjoy that lifestyle >> clean air, virtually no druggies or mass killers, and muslims didn't explode.
KittenKaboodle

Texarkana, TX

#11 Feb 10, 2013
Back in 1964, I rode a passenger train from Texarkana to Houston and back. Every so often a guy would come through selling sandwiches for a quarter. They tasted great. I bet those sandwiches would be 5 bucks each now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texarkana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
To the person/persons that are Vandalizing------- 6 hr MeSo 11
Gays ,should they have their own public bathroo... (Oct '10) 18 hr mel 80
PG's New Superintendent ruining district (Aug '14) 20 hr Wake Up 47
Motorcycles are Not Safe Sat Skeptic 23
things for teens to do here (Mar '06) Sat Skeptic 379
The Haunting Of Texarkana (Jun '13) Sat Skeptic 30
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) May 20 Banfartos 708
More from around the web

Texarkana People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]