Texas City Manager
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Texas Popper

Texarkana, AR

#1 Aug 24, 2010
While the employees of the City of Texarkana Texas work for minimum wage, the City Manager, Sullivan, lines his pockets with money that he plans to take from the employees with his "furlough" proposal.
Take back City government. Petition for term limits to the City government.
Willingham Norbert

Tyler, TX

#2 Aug 25, 2010
Texas Popper wrote:
While the employees of the City of Texarkana Texas work for minimum wage, the City Manager, Sullivan, lines his pockets with money that he plans to take from the employees with his "furlough" proposal.Take back City government. Petition for term limits to the City government.
Exactly what percentage of Texas side city workers make only minimum wage?
Dub

Texarkana, AR

#3 Aug 25, 2010
Willingham Norbert wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly what percentage of Texas side city workers make only minimum wage?
Kathy doesn't know. She is just "popering" off.
Transplant

Texarkana, TX

#4 Aug 25, 2010
Aren't most (or all) of the full time City employees from both sides covered by some sort of retirement and health care in addition to their pay? If that's the case, the benefit package would be enough to be attractive to some people without insurance.
Texas Popper

Texarkana, AR

#5 Aug 25, 2010
Transplant wrote:
Aren't most (or all) of the full time City employees from both sides covered by some sort of retirement and health care in addition to their pay? If that's the case, the benefit package would be enough to be attractive to some people without insurance.
They pay for their insurance and retirement, maybe, not as much as Joe Plumber on the street but they still pay for it. The "furlough" is taking paid holidays away from the employee and an additional 10 days per year unpaid. Who do you think is going to reap the benefits of that?

Since: Nov 07

AOL

#6 Aug 25, 2010
Was any of this in the news? If it was I just missed it.
Texas Popper

Texarkana, AR

#7 Aug 25, 2010
Government Watch wrote:
Was any of this in the news? If it was I just missed it.
There was a story in the Gazette about the "furlough" being proposed but information about it was being withheld. It's not what you know but who.
Musketeer

Dallas, TX

#8 Aug 26, 2010
Texas Popper wrote:
<quoted text>
They pay for their insurance and retirement, maybe, not as much as Joe Plumber on the street but they still pay for it. The "furlough" is taking paid holidays away from the employee and an additional 10 days per year unpaid. Who do you think is going to reap the benefits of that?
That would make some folks mad as hell I would think. I could definately see some picketting going on if that happens.
Willingham Norbert

Longview, TX

#9 Aug 26, 2010
Texas Popper wrote:
<quoted text>

The "furlough" is taking paid holidays away from the employee and an additional 10 days per year unpaid.

Who do you think is going to reap the benefits of that?
Maybe the city employees themselves.

If it means the difference between having a job or not.

Times are tough.
one of the ants

Texarkana, TX

#10 Aug 26, 2010
Willingham Norbert wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the city employees themselves.
If it means the difference between having a job or not.
Times are tough.
The Times seem pretty good for THe city manager!HEFTY SALARY plus BONUS!!
RedHeadedStrange r

United States

#11 Aug 26, 2010
one of the ants wrote:
<quoted text>The Times seem pretty good for THe city manager!HEFTY SALARY plus BONUS!!
If belts are to be tightened, tighten all of them.
one of the ants

Texarkana, TX

#12 Aug 26, 2010
RedHeadedStranger wrote:
<quoted text>
If belts are to be tightened, tighten all of them.
EXACTLY!!

Since: Jul 10

Texarkana, AR

#13 Aug 26, 2010
I can think of a lot of ways to save the city money. Stop building subsidized housing that costs 145k per unit. Stop funding the airport, TRAHC, mainstreet or other downtown handouts, cut back on the managers salary, leave business developement to the chamber eliminating Spark's job, get rid of the folks at the city garage that mess up perfectly good vehicles.

I could go on an on. Following California with the furlough of salaried/hourly employees would be one of the last places I would look.
Texas Popper

Maud, TX

#14 Aug 26, 2010
I agree Farronwolf. The City is not going to take money from the people that get paid the most tho. They are going to take it from the little man. The guy or gal who is just barely making it to have a place to live and food on the table.

This city is no different from the ones in California. Take away the huge salaries from the ones who need it least and give it to the ones who need it most.

Take back Texarkana. Petition for term limits.
JoeyButtafuoco

Petersburg, TX

#15 Aug 26, 2010
If anybody thinks that Sullivan is going to accept a pay cut or turn down his fat annual Christmas bonus of $50 thousand dollars, they will be sadly mistaken. To him, the city is a gigantic cow and he's going to milk those teats for everything they're worth.
Willingham Norbert

Longview, TX

#16 Aug 26, 2010
What's Sullivan's connection to George Lavender?
edgotxs

Texarkana, AR

#17 Aug 28, 2010
gee, I hope there is none
Beth

United States

#18 Aug 28, 2010
Willingham Norbert wrote:
What's Sullivan's connection to George Lavender?
About the same as obama's connection to sarah palin.
Allen

Grandview, TX

#19 Aug 28, 2010
Beth wrote:
<quoted text>
About the same as obama's connection to sarah palin.
It is so comforting to see the partriots talking among themselves to run down the city manager and most of them don't even live in the city. Guess Frost, Velma, Carlow and Pat McCoy will be next. It is really funny to see them make a post, change screen names and congratulate themselves for having said it.
JSP

Arlington, TX

#20 Aug 28, 2010
Allen wrote:
<quoted text>It is so comforting to see the partriots talking among themselves to run down the city manager and most of them don't even live in the city. Guess Frost, Velma, Carlow and Pat McCoy will be next. It is really funny to see them make a post, change screen names and congratulate themselves for having said it.
It is rather telling that you lump Frost, Moore, Carlow, and McCoy together. I am sure McCoy appreciates that. What makes you think the Patriots are the ones with a problem with Sullivan anyway? Sometimes you gripe that you haven't seen a stance from the Patriots and other times you attribute comments go them. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texarkana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police: Woman did 'topless handstand' 11 hr MeSo 2
News Van hits biker, flipping him into air 12 hr MeSo 1
Eagle 106.3 hot on the trail of "Dr." lacy's fa... (Jul '12) Apr 26 Chief Walksalot 12
who is this prince guy Apr 24 purple rain 1
whataburger Apr 23 tony stark 2
News Man gets seven years for murder (Dec '06) Apr 23 Scrplr14 68
ashley walker (Nov '14) Apr 21 Meeee 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Texarkana Mortgages