Smokin Hot Bar BQ to open on Texas side
Chris J

Ponca City, OK

#21 Oct 16, 2012
Also, CiCi Pizza is still in business because of the location. Their pizza bad, but they stay in business because of the location.
Shucky

Haslet, TX

#22 Oct 16, 2012
Chris J wrote:
<quoted text>Bennigan's went out of business because of where it was located.
That's crazy. Bennigan's went out of business because they were sued for serving alcohol to a minor who ultimately was killed in a car crash as a result. And El Chico wouldn't be going in there if it was a bad location. Stop making stuff up and misinforming people.
shaggy

United States

#23 Oct 16, 2012
Chris J wrote:
<quoted text> Bennigan's went out of business because of where it was located.
Bennigans closed because the company filed for bankruptcy. It had nothing to do with location.
There Goes Neighborhood

Texarkana, TX

#24 Oct 16, 2012
Bennigan's went out of business because the local homosexuals took over the bar.
Chris J

Ponca City, OK

#25 Oct 16, 2012
Shucky wrote:
<quoted text>
That's crazy. Bennigan's went out of business because they were sued for serving alcohol to a minor who ultimately was killed in a car crash as a result. And El Chico wouldn't be going in there if it was a bad location. Stop making stuff up and misinforming people.
Even a representative for Texarkana, AR said that they went out because of the location. He said that they were located in a bad spot. I read it in the Texarkana Gazette. El Chico went out too. There are El Chico restaurants and Bennigan restaurants in cities close to us, but ours no longer exist. Why? bad location When El Chico put in there, it was a good location; but after Texarkana had grown over where the movie theater is, El Chico and Bennigan's needed to move over there. That is the growing part of Texarkana. The only reason that Smokin Hot Bar-B-Q' s location is bad is because they are too far down. Too much temptation before you get to them if you get that far for them to stay in for a long time.
Chris J

Ponca City, OK

#26 Oct 16, 2012
There are car places down there. However, only a small percentage of people are looking for new cars. Also, most of the people that are looking at their cars have already eaten. Most of that road is one way making it more tempting for them to eat before they get to the car lots.
Chris J

Ponca City, OK

#27 Oct 17, 2012
Also, the building that El Chico will exist in (where Bennigan's was) is owned by the owners of The Green Tomato, which is on South Lake Drive. They did not own the old El Chico. This helps explain why they are putting in this building, which is just up from where the old El Chico was (almost the same location). Bad buying decision
Pam

Ponca City, OK

#28 Oct 17, 2012
Chris, you are right. You have to be where the action is. You can walk from Best Buy to On The Border. And you can walk from Hallmark to Genghis Grill. And so on... No retail stores are close to the building that El Chico will be in. And no regular retail stores are close to the building that Smkin Hot bar-b-q will be in. Yea, you are so right. You made a good point. The bar-b-q place will go out of business.
Bryan

Ponca City, OK

#29 Oct 17, 2012
It is an all in one center (shop, eat, go to the movies) which has subcenters. However, Smokin Hot Bar-B-Q is not in the main center. They are just passed it. Yea, now that I have thought about it, what Chris said makes a lot of since. Also, El Chico will not be in this all in one center.
Pam

Ponca City, OK

#30 Oct 17, 2012
If Smokin Hot Bar-B-Q hires you, make sure you have a second job.
Bryan

Ponca City, OK

#31 Oct 17, 2012
I put an application in (Smokin Hot BBQ) and applied for cashier. I have about 9 years of retail cashiering exp, but I think he threw me in an underqualified stack because I do not have restaurant cashiering exp. Going by what he said I think he threw me in an underqualified stack. It is not hard to ring up 3 dinners and three drinks and tell them how much it will cost them and thank them, but he was talking like he thought I would not be able to do it.
Joe Thompson

Ponca City, OK

#32 Oct 17, 2012
I have close to 9 years in retail cashiering and a four year degree. Also, in college, I made an A in Calculas, but the one doing the hiring for Smokin Hot BBQ seems to think restaurant cashiering is above my math level. I think he threw mine in the same stack.
poke the bear

Texarkana, AR

#33 Oct 17, 2012
Joe Thompson wrote:
I have close to 9 years in retail cashiering and a four year degree. Also, in college, I made an A in Calculas, but the one doing the hiring for Smokin Hot BBQ seems to think restaurant cashiering is above my math level. I think he threw mine in the same stack.
you may have gotten an 'A' but surely not in english. you can't even spell CALCULUS!
Shucky

Haslet, TX

#34 Oct 17, 2012
Chris J wrote:
<quoted text>Even a representative for Texarkana, AR said that they went out because of the location. He said that they were located in a bad spot. I read it in the Texarkana Gazette. El Chico went out too. There are El Chico restaurants and Bennigan restaurants in cities close to us, but ours no longer exist. Why? bad location When El Chico put in there, it was a good location; but after Texarkana had grown over where the movie theater is, El Chico and Bennigan's needed to move over there. That is the growing part of Texarkana. The only reason that Smokin Hot Bar-B-Q' s location is bad is because they are too far down. Too much temptation before you get to them if you get that far for them to stay in for a long time.
Well, the representative is an idiot because none of the crap you wrote is true but believe what you want to believe. I can't stop you.
Chris J

Ponca City, OK

#35 Oct 17, 2012
Shucky wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the representative is an idiot because none of the crap you wrote is true but believe what you want to believe. I can't stop you.
Chad Smarkman's own fmaily members owned the old El Chico, but he had no ownership in it. His family members threw in the towel because it was not making enough money to stay in business. Now, there is disagreement in his own family on the issue. Chad Sparkman thinks that El Chico will make a lot of money in the other building, but his family members who owned the old one know that he is wrong. He is hard headed and will not listen to them. This Chad Sparkman team, which includes Josh Douglass, will find out the hard way. Right after they open it, the business will do well; but as time passes, this business will go downhill; and then, they will have to throw their towel in the same basket that his family members threw their towel in.
Pam

Ponca City, OK

#36 Oct 17, 2012
He is like my son. My son will not listen to me. He wants to do his own thing. Chad will find out that he needs to listen to his mommy.
Pam

Ponca City, OK

#38 Oct 17, 2012
This is the grade Sparkman will get (failure)
Pam

Ponca City, OK

#39 Oct 17, 2012
Smokin Hot Bar-BQ owners will also be in the class of losers.
Joe Thompson

Ponca City, OK

#40 Oct 17, 2012
Pam, you are right; but you have to lose to learn how to be a big winner. I openly admit I made the same mistake as Douglass, Sparkman, and the owners of the bar-b-q building made. I made the mistake when I was 29 years old, and I learned from it. I put in 10 grocery stores when I was 29. In Pittsburgh, PA, I put in three grocery stores. Two of the three did very well, but the other one went out of business. It was very clear that it was the location. Two years later, I put one in a different Pittsburgh, PA location; and it did well. I made adjustments in other cities as well; and now, they are all doing well. I went on to put in 11 more grocery stores, and these are doing well too. I did not make the same mistake I made when I put in the other 10. I have 21 grocery stores (10 in the north US, 7 in the central US, and 4 in the south US) They will learn. They are not stupid. They have not matured yet. The longer you do something, the better you get at it. Take it from me. I am still learn myself.
Joe Thompson sr

Ponca City, OK

#41 Oct 17, 2012
My son Joe Thompson junior put an application in the bar-b-q place. He has a four year degree and wants to get restaurant managing exp. He does not like retail. I told him to apply for cashier and try to work up. He thinks that he was thrown out as underqualified, but I think he was thrown out as overqualified. He has an A in Calculas. He made this A in college. I told him to put that on the job application. I thought that if he did, they would not raise a work exp flag on it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texarkana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Area activists push to make Dream Act a reality... 16 hr Willie Granville 14
Fishing and hunting tips. Fri None 9
Why Do Black Peeps Look Like Apes? (Jan '12) Fri Willie Granville 233
Gypsies in Texarkana (Aug '10) Oct 18 Robby113 832
Gypsy blacktoppers (Jun '13) Oct 18 Milie 22
Boswell Gypsies Oct 17 JillsLover 1
News Texarkana, TX police suspend search for missing... Oct 17 Dea Tea 2

Texarkana Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Texarkana Mortgages