Hateful people in Texarkana

Hateful people in Texarkana

Posted in the Texarkana Forum

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Adam Johnson

United States

#1 Jan 28, 2013
Has anyone noticed how the majority of people, usually strangers, in Texarkana are rude, impatient, or just generally unhappy? I have been living here about 12 years. Around 2006ish it seems like we had a big population/economic boost and the city grew. Prior to this time the people in the town seemed more cordial and communal. Now everyone acts like d*cks. I feel like I'm in a hostile environment when I go to the grocery store. Does anyone else feel this way or am I alone on this?
Old Valley Girl

Granbury, TX

#2 Jan 28, 2013
Adam Johnson wrote:
Has anyone noticed how the majority of people, usually strangers, in Texarkana are rude, impatient, or just generally unhappy? I have been living here about 12 years. Around 2006ish it seems like we had a big population/economic boost and the city grew. Prior to this time the people in the town seemed more cordial and communal. Now everyone acts like d*cks. I feel like I'm in a hostile environment when I go to the grocery store. Does anyone else feel this way or am I alone on this?
You are not alone. There are a lot of evil people in this town. Not to say there aren't a lot of good people. But there are many people who want to fight you over nothing and some will kill you if you look at them wrong.

Since: Nov 10

Lewisburg, PA

#3 Jan 29, 2013
I probably don't get out as much as most but have found that if I smile and greet someone they almost always respond in kind. Of course there is always the odd scowler but they are certainly in the minority; and too, they may just be having a lousy day. I've been here seventeen years and have yet to have anyone offer to fight me. I wonder why.
Chief Walksalot

Lewisburg, PA

#4 Jan 29, 2013
Adam Johnson wrote:
Has anyone noticed how the majority of people, usually strangers, in Texarkana are rude, impatient, or just generally unhappy? I have been living here about 12 years. Around 2006ish it seems like we had a big population/economic boost and the city grew. Prior to this time the people in the town seemed more cordial and communal. Now everyone acts like d*cks. I feel like I'm in a hostile environment when I go to the grocery store. Does anyone else feel this way or am I alone on this?
I have noticed that in general, people seem to be angry and unfriendly. Perhaps it's the economy, or the sense of oppression from an overbearing gov't, or even seeing how this once great country is rotting away. Yes, many people are polite, as long as you don't get in their way or if you dress like you have money.
Joe Bob Briggs

Houston, TX

#5 Jan 29, 2013
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are people like that everywhere. Some of you people need to get out a little more.
Old Valley Girl

Granbury, TX

#6 Jan 29, 2013
That's the problem; getting out. Your chances of getting into an altercation are much greater if you get out. There are people who are just looking for a fight. They're evil. And they are more of them than there are of us. That's why I keep my sexy ass at the house.

Since: Nov 10

Lewisburg, PA

#7 Jan 29, 2013
Old Valley Girl wrote:
That's the problem; getting out. Your chances of getting into an altercation are much greater if you get out. There are people who are just looking for a fight. They're evil. And they are more of them than there are of us. That's why I keep my sexy ass at the house.
I'll admit to not "getting out" much: Albertsons, Super 1, Target, Party Factory, Lowe's and occasionally Longhorn; but I've never encountered the types you mention. Is it possible you're going to the wrong places? From my younger and more foolish days I know that trouble is out there if you go looking for it.

“Bad girl gone good”

Since: Nov 10

Eagle, ID

#8 Jan 29, 2013
I manage two businesses here in town, and get out quite often. I smile and make eye contact with many people in an average day. I do not see all the hate you are talking about. I strive to be a positive, up-beat person, so maybe it's just that I focus on the good stuff, but I think there are a lot of nice people everywhere. You just have to look for the good in the world. It's really all around us.
Canon

Texarkana, TX

#9 Jan 29, 2013
I know the type too. I tried to be nice and let a vehicle have the right of way to a parking spot at Office Depot. I waited to see if they wanted it first, when they decided for another one I pulled on into that one. OH My Goodness!!! The driver got out of that car and yelled at me "What chew lookin' at?"... I explained they had the right of way to the parking spot and I was waiting to see if she wanted it before I pulled into it....try to be nice!!!!......
Canon

Texarkana, TX

#10 Jan 29, 2013
In WalMart two women with children were taking the complete row to visit, usually folks see others coming and move enough to let others by. Not this group in fact the attitude seemed to be a "how dare you make us move" I smiled and said excuse me and they barely moved and had the most hateful expressions....as their unruly kids ran around screaming like wild animals.
Canon

Texarkana, TX

#11 Jan 29, 2013
Joe Bob Briggs wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are people like that everywhere. Some of you people need to get out a little more.
The point was, it was not always this way. It is different.

Since: Nov 10

Lewisburg, PA

#12 Jan 29, 2013
Canon wrote:
I know the type too. I tried to be nice and let a vehicle have the right of way to a parking spot at Office Depot. I waited to see if they wanted it first, when they decided for another one I pulled on into that one. OH My Goodness!!! The driver got out of that car and yelled at me "What chew lookin' at?"... I explained they had the right of way to the parking spot and I was waiting to see if she wanted it before I pulled into it....try to be nice!!!!......
No good deed goes unpunished. Your experience reminds me of an incident that took place several years ago in a large city back east (forgot where). A woman pulled her full grocery cart into the Express Check-Out lane. The woman behind her was angry because her cart was full. Both got checked out. The lady who was second in line followed the full cart lady into the parking where she shot her in the head killing her on the spot.
Old Valley Girl

Granbury, TX

#13 Jan 29, 2013
Tom Horn wrote:
<quoted text>I'll admit to not "getting out" much: Albertsons, Super 1, Target, Party Factory, Lowe's and occasionally Longhorn; but I've never encountered the types you mention. Is it possible you're going to the wrong places? From my younger and more foolish days I know that trouble is out there if you go looking for it.
I go basically to the same places you go, Tom. I guess I haven't been as lucky as you. I never go looking for trouble. It just seems to search me out for some reason. One time I made a driving turn a guy didn't like. He followed me to where I had parked and threatened to whip my ass.
Old Valley Girl

Granbury, TX

#14 Jan 29, 2013
Tom Horn wrote:
<quoted text>No good deed goes unpunished. Your experience reminds me of an incident that took place several years ago in a large city back east (forgot where). A woman pulled her full grocery cart into the Express Check-Out lane. The woman behind her was angry because her cart was full. Both got checked out. The lady who was second in line followed the full cart lady into the parking where she shot her in the head killing her on the spot.
I guess the moral of the story is don't go to express lanes if you have a cart full of items. Those people make me mad too but I wouldn't kill one.
Old Valley Girl

Granbury, TX

#15 Jan 29, 2013
Canon wrote:
In WalMart two women with children were taking the complete row to visit, usually folks see others coming and move enough to let others by. Not this group in fact the attitude seemed to be a "how dare you make us move" I smiled and said excuse me and they barely moved and had the most hateful expressions....as their unruly kids ran around screaming like wild animals.
The problem is that a lot of kids today aren't taught compassion and consideration for others and when they become adults it shows.
Tom Horn

United States

#16 Jan 29, 2013
Old Valley Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that a lot of kids today aren't taught compassion and consideration for others and when they become adults it shows.
Amen to that in spades

Since: Jul 10

Texarkana, TX

#17 Jan 29, 2013
Adam Johnson wrote:
Has anyone noticed how the majority of people, usually strangers, in Texarkana are rude, impatient, or just generally unhappy? I have been living here about 12 years. Around 2006ish it seems like we had a big population/economic boost and the city grew. Prior to this time the people in the town seemed more cordial and communal. Now everyone acts like d*cks. I feel like I'm in a hostile environment when I go to the grocery store. Does anyone else feel this way or am I alone on this?
Do you block the isles with your buggy, or stand in the middle of the isle blocking other shoppers from getting by? Do you and your family walk multiple people abreast not allowing people to get past you? Do you stop at every free food booth at Sam's Club and block the isle while you eat "lunch"? Do you stand in the middle of the isle and visit with the friend you haven't seen in a while when other people want to pass?

Do you drive the wrong way down the parking isle in the parking lot, or cut across the drive ways and or block exits or entrances to the stores? Do you park in the fire lane while getting your red box movie, or park in the fire lane while waiting for the shopper you dropped off who was too lazy to walk from the actual parking lot?

If you do these things or similar things, you or those who do, need to be treated in a hostile manner because it is irritating as hell to deal with clueless people out in public.

I don't have time to wait on folks who have nothing better to do than meander around oblivious to what is going on around them. If you have shopping habits like I described, there is a good chance I was rude to you when doing such things.
Old Valley Girl

Granbury, TX

#18 Jan 29, 2013
In the old days you could be "rude" to stupid people who did stupid things that pissed you off and all you could do was hope they learned a lesson and didn't do it again. Nowadays, it's a whole different story. For example, if you flip someone off in traffic for being an idiot they just might chase you down and kill you. It happened to a guy in Little Rock awhile back.
Canon

Texarkana, TX

#19 Jan 29, 2013
Old Valley Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that a lot of kids today aren't taught compassion and consideration for others and when they become adults it shows.
Agreed, and that behavior is passed onward to the next generation. It's here to stay, I suppose.
Canon

Texarkana, TX

#20 Jan 29, 2013
Many, many years ago....I remember even in elementary school being shown films on courtesy and manners. I guess schools don't do that anylonger. I'm not saying it's the schools responsibility, but they were a support from what most learned at home.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texarkana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ape in HEALS (Nov '16) 17 hr Willie Granville 69
Great place to get a beard trimmed? Sat Andy 3
Abusive TSA lady at the Texarkana airport. Aug 17 Answer 2
News Murray-Alcorn is new Ward 4 rep on Texas-side C... Aug 17 Peanut Smith 1
Joe rawson a.k.a. Batman Aug 17 Denton McKinney 2
Alisha binning (Jul '16) Aug 17 Itsmemfs 11
Mike Carter (Sep '14) Aug 13 Friend 80

Texarkana Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Texarkana Mortgages