Yes

No

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Cat

United States

#1 Aug 22, 2011
Yes, I would. I'd like to see GW be able to serve if he wanted.

;)
Anne

Rowlett, TX

#2 Aug 22, 2011
Yes
The Cat

United States

#3 Aug 23, 2011
Thanks to you who have voted.
When hell freezes over

Texarkana, TX

#4 Aug 24, 2011
Absolutely no support from me.
The Cat

United States

#5 Aug 24, 2011
I bet the folks within the current taxing district would vote to expand it.
zenith

United States

#6 Aug 26, 2011
The Cat wrote:
I bet the folks within the current taxing district would vote to expand it.
Yep
The Cat

United States

#7 Sep 1, 2011
I hope it gets to be voted on. I think it has a good chance of passing.

Since: Apr 08

Texarkana, Tex/Ark

#8 Sep 3, 2011
WAKE UP BOWIE COUNTY! This is your opportunity to rid the college of 8 of 9 board members and replace them with candidates from places like Liberty-Eylau, Pleasant Grove, New Boston, Redwater, DeKalb, Hubbard, Hooks, Leary and Simms.
What enrollment increase

Texarkana, TX

#9 Sep 4, 2011
I hear that TC is down in enrollment by several hundered students this semester. It's not going to get any better.
Touchdown

United States

#10 Sep 4, 2011
TexArk wrote:
WAKE UP BOWIE COUNTY! This is your opportunity to rid the college of 8 of 9 board members and replace them with candidates from places like Liberty-Eylau, Pleasant Grove, New Boston, Redwater, DeKalb, Hubbard, Hooks, Leary and Simms.
More realistically, we get a tax increase with the same old board members.
Johnny Case

United States

#11 Sep 4, 2011
The Cat wrote:
I hope it gets to be voted on. I think it has a good chance of passing.
Why would anyone in the outlying counties vote to increase their taxes?
Taxes are too high

Austin, TX

#12 Oct 9, 2012
The vote is four weeks away. I support the college staying open, but will I increase my taxes to keep it open? I also have doubts about TC actually closing if the tax base isn't expanded. Anybody that is a good leader has a Plan B. I wonder what it is. I can't justify higher taxes for myself when MILLIONS have been wasted. Don't feed me the bs that we will beable to elect new board members or that it was the former administration's bad decisions.
What about it, Bowie county. Will you increase your taxes?
texark66

Pittsburg, TX

#13 Oct 10, 2012
Vote Yes.

The industrial growth of Bowie County depends on keeping the College open. Why would any new industry want to locate in a city that does not support it's own Community College ?? Think about it, before you vote !
United States Cat

United States

#14 Oct 10, 2012
Taxes are too high wrote:
I will.
Wooley Boogah

Texarkana, TX

#15 Oct 10, 2012
Taxes are too high wrote:
The vote is four weeks away. I support the college staying open, but will I increase my taxes to keep it open? I also have doubts about TC actually closing if the tax base isn't expanded. Anybody that is a good leader has a Plan B. I wonder what it is. I can't justify higher taxes for myself when MILLIONS have been wasted. Don't feed me the bs that we will beable to elect new board members or that it was the former administration's bad decisions.
You are right on. And what people need to realize is that this annexation will only net the College about 24% of the total amount they're seeking, so they will raise taxes again and again every year, for the next 3-4 years, at least. So that $100/year they're telling everyone it's going to cost will end up being $500-$600/year, and that's on top of the taxes the county will levy for Hwy 82!

The only reason most of the crooks on the Board are "volunteering" to run again is because they know they won't be opposed. Tom Sadowski ran last time and after learning about all of the graft and mismanagement going on at the College, withdrew his name from consideration. If you know him, ask him privately about it. He'll tell you he's got no use for the place. Likewise, when long tenured, well-respected instructors like Jerry Voss are walking off from the place, then it's a pretty telling indictment of the kind of charlatans still on the Board and in the Administration.

People, the truth is the College will not go away, unless the Board votes to close it down so they can blame the closure on the voters nixing the tax increase. They'll still get money from the state based on their enrollment numbers-just like always. So rather than litter Texarkana with pictures of Ross Perot, they should be expending some energies on increasing their enrollment. Except, that the hairdresser that they've got running the Admissions office is as crooked as she is inept. So there's little hope for that.

But their brilliant plan B is to run around town and hope that 200 dumb asses who have more money than sense will give them $15,000 each, so they can get Perot's match money. But most of the wine and cheese eaters have already given -or pledged- thousands to TAMU-T, because that's what the elitists here in town wanted…a university. Well, now we got one! And ain't it grand?!!? Just had their President resign following an investigation, the results of which, we the tax payers, aren't entitled to know. In the meantime, our puppet mayor, who just happens to work at TAMU-T, is planning millions more in roads and infrastructure for a measly 1200 students.

And TC's no better. There are part time teachers who didn't get the paychecks they had coming last month, but some $200,000 has been spent on plastering Perot's mug all over town! Meh.

And they want us to give them more money to waste?
edgotxs

Texarkana, AR

#16 Oct 12, 2012
the county did their number on us, why would we vote another increase?
got to know how to handle money before it is given
Taxes are too high

Longview, TX

#17 Oct 12, 2012
If the TC area is expanded, the TC board will have the authority to increase the tax percentage each year. JHR is a smooth character. He is begging for help for the college. When he gets it, he will take advantage of the kindness of the taxpayers and will increase the taxes yearly. The taxpayers will not be able to stop the increases. It is asked by all who promote this tax, "would it be worth a measly $100per year to save our community college?" It will end up costing you much more.
I would be likely to vote for it if it were not so easy for the board to increase the rate. The taxpayers will not have the ability to decrease the rate or stop paying the tax. TC will forever have their funding courtesy of the blinded voter.
Old Man on the Hill

Whitney, TX

#18 Oct 30, 2012
I will vote NO.
It has been brought to my attention that behind closed doore the President and Board has stated that when the tax passes, they will raise it to the max each year without another vote of the people. Witout major changes we will be throwing good money down the rabbit hole for the foreseeable future.

Wise up Bowie County before it is too late.
Jeremy Price

Texarkana, AR

#19 Oct 31, 2012
It would gratify my curiosity greatly, if the following could be explained. Haven't we been sold on the story that the college has simply been mismanaged until only recently? Only through this obscene way in which the college was being administered, was it operating so severely in the red; I think is how the narrative was portrayed. People lost their jobs over it. And now we are to believe that the fate of this institution hinges upon expansion of its tax base, along with a very cloudy potential for further expansion in the future? Which is it? Bad management, as we were first told? Or, are we accepting that it was simply a matter of subsidy reliance the whole time?
just the facts maam

Texarkana, TX

#20 Nov 1, 2012
if they can not effectively manage the money they had, what is the incentive to give them more money they will presumably mismanage based on their historical performance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texarkana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 2 hr Good farts 769
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 4 hr Education farts 947
What new restaurants does Texarkana need ? (Jul '13) 12 hr bmuldrow 115
Salesman shot at Pete Mankind Nissan 17 hr ttanftx 15
Ip hire felons? 18 hr ttanftx 3
richard greg turner wife beater (Aug '13) Sat ShySweetOne 37
Poll Who's an honest attorney in Texarkana, TX? (Apr '08) Sat A9mm 319
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Texarkana Mortgages