Sprinf Lake Park 2013 comparison

Posted in the Texarkana Forum

texark66

Pittsburg, TX

#1 Jul 17, 2013
Back in my childhood days Spring Lake Park was "the place" to go to have some low cost family fun.

Does anyone remember the mini carnival there ? The train ride was my favorite. How about the Park short order cafe as the place for food. Anyone remember the name of it ? The Zoo is also long gone.

Today we have a slash pad to replace the long dormant pool, so many baseball fields I can't count them and the duck pond which we have had for years for kids to play at. Is disc gold still there ?

How can the park be improved ? Safety, playgrounds etc. All comments welcomed.

Red Goosefoot

Mifflinburg, PA

#2 Jul 17, 2013
texark66 wrote:
Back in my childhood days Spring Lake Park was "the place" to go to have some low cost family fun.

Does anyone remember the mini carnival there ? The train ride was my favorite. How about the Park short order cafe as the place for food. Anyone remember the name of it ? The Zoo is also long gone.

Today we have a slash pad to replace the long dormant pool, so many baseball fields I can't count them and the duck pond which we have had for years for kids to play at. Is disc gold still there ?

How can the park be improved ? Safety, playgrounds etc. All comments welcomed.
I remember all those things. But that was back in the old days when Spring Lake Park was great. The Zoo, even small, was better than nothing. The cafe was great. Hamburgers, hot dogs, drinks, etc. Don't remember the name of it. The train ride was fantastic. Now the park has that stupid Splashpad and all those ridiculous baseball fields. It does have the walking trail which is a plus. That old airplane has been there over a hundred years. It used to have a skating rink but they shut that down. Those same ducks have been there forever. They're so old that some of them are on walkers and in wheel chairs. Long story short, the park sucks, especially compared to other cities parks.
farronwolf

Whitney, TX

#3 Jul 17, 2013
Red Goosefoot wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember all those things. But that was back in the old days when Spring Lake Park was great. The Zoo, even small, was better than nothing. The cafe was great. Hamburgers, hot dogs, drinks, etc. Don't remember the name of it. The train ride was fantastic. Now the park has that stupid Splashpad and all those ridiculous baseball fields. It does have the walking trail which is a plus. That old airplane has been there over a hundred years. It used to have a skating rink but they shut that down. Those same ducks have been there forever. They're so old that some of them are on walkers and in wheel chairs. Long story short, the park sucks, especially compared to other cities parks.
Now look who is being a turd. hahaha

Maybe we can find some free park money someplace and click, click, click to get it upgraded.
farronwolf

Whitney, TX

#4 Jul 17, 2013
They could get rid of all the ducks so there isn't so much poop on the walking path. Get rid of the duck weed and other stuff in the pond and put some paddle boats out there.

An amphitheater on the hill just south of the splash pad with the stage down on the old spring house side would be great. Perfect slope for it.

They could put a climbing wall up and maybe some good volley ball courts, tether ball, or four square pads. Maybe even pseudo confidence course.
Red Goosefoot

Mifflinburg, PA

#5 Jul 17, 2013
farronwolf wrote:
<quoted text>Now look who is being a turd. hahaha

Maybe we can find some free park money someplace and click, click, click to get it upgraded.
They're going to waste it on something. Why not the park? I just loved the park the way it was in the old days and I miss it.
Red Goosefoot

Mifflinburg, PA

#6 Jul 17, 2013
farronwolf wrote:
They could get rid of all the ducks so there isn't so much poop on the walking path. Get rid of the duck weed and other stuff in the pond and put some paddle boats out there.

An amphitheater on the hill just south of the splash pad with the stage down on the old spring house side would be great. Perfect slope for it.

They could put a climbing wall up and maybe some good volley ball courts, tether ball, or four square pads. Maybe even pseudo confidence course.
They're not going to do anything. Sullivan broke the city under his regime and they don't have the money to fix anything or make any kind of improvements or additions.
Joe Bob Briggs

Houston, TX

#7 Jul 18, 2013
The name of the cafe at the park was "The Parkette." They had good burgers in the day. Remember the miniture golf course next door to it. I lived in the glenwood subdivision and in the morning you could hear the lion roar at the zoo. He wanted his breakfast.
Big Red

Ralls, TX

#8 Jul 18, 2013
For one thng there neesds to be some more police presence on Saturday evenings. Lately there have been groups of 100 to 150 young black people gathered up with drinking and blocking roads. I would be uneasy carrying my family there after dark.
Red Goosefoot

Mifflinburg, PA

#9 Jul 18, 2013
Big Red wrote:
For one thng there neesds to be some more police presence on Saturday evenings. Lately there have been groups of 100 to 150 young black people gathered up with drinking and blocking roads. I would be uneasy carrying my family there after dark.
If you think the police give a rat's ass if there's a potential for crime at the
park or anywhere else in this town,
then you would be delusional. All they want is their paycheck once a month and they want to do as little as possible to get it.
DoogieHorshackPH D

Mifflinburg, PA

#10 Jul 18, 2013
Red Goosefoot wrote:
<quoted text>If you think the police give a rat's ass if there's a potential for crime at the
park or anywhere else in this town,
then you would be delusional. All they want is their paycheck once a month and they want to do as little as possible to get it.
Well, they say a fish rots from the head down. If the city manager, mayor, and the chief of police don't give a shit about all the crime, how can you expect the average cop on the street to?
barack the zygote

United States

#11 Jul 19, 2013
You guys got it all wrong! That place is still a zoo, no cages but plenty of wild animals running around just go out there any given Sunday and you'll see. It's going to shit just like every other thing in town that is "free" for the public. It's gonna get F**K'd up like chuck.
Police don't give a flying f**k because there's no money in fighting that kind of crime, if it isn't writing tickets or getting people put on probation to create revenue then it stays under the radar RIGHT UNDER THERE NOSE!
Make no mistake though, it's still a f**king zoo, just no lions.

If I had a son he would look like Lenny the Lion!!!!

Peace Out!
Chief Walksalot

Texarkana, TX

#12 Jul 19, 2013
Red Goosefoot wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha ha; great comment about the ducks. Reading the other comments : if there are swarms of blacks (or whites) out there at night, I will avoid the place. Somehow I don't expect they are picking up trash or playing baseball. There used to be a pavilion for garage bands to practice, for free. Most of the pooh is dog pooh, but hey, dogs just see the Park as one huge latrine. Paddle boats would be nice, but they will have to be guarded to prevent theft. Same with putting up a volleyball net. When the walking trail is no longer safe, I'll stop going, as nothing else out there interests me. The baseball team folded. The college baseball teams were aborted. The Fair was moved. No swimming pool. The fireworks show was moved. Texarkana is just a dying town.
Chief Walksalot

Texarkana, TX

#13 Jul 19, 2013
How about having Spring Lake Park turned into a drive-thru zoo?

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#15 Jul 19, 2013
If we still had the group of guys that hung out and played football there in the mid 70's those gangs would not last long. They'd kick ass and ask questions later. Ah the good old days. When men could settle things without being punks and pulling guns and knives. They're nothing but cowards now.
Red Goosefoot

Mifflinburg, PA

#16 Jul 19, 2013
Chief Walksalot wrote:
<quoted text>Ha ha; great comment about the ducks. Reading the other comments : if there are swarms of blacks (or whites) out there at night, I will avoid the place. Somehow I don't expect they are picking up trash or playing baseball. There used to be a pavilion for garage bands to practice, for free. Most of the pooh is dog pooh, but hey, dogs just see the Park as one huge latrine. Paddle boats would be nice, but they will have to be guarded to prevent theft. Same with putting up a volleyball net. When the walking trail is no longer safe, I'll stop going, as nothing else out there interests me. The baseball team folded. The college baseball teams were aborted. The Fair was moved. No swimming pool. The fireworks show was moved. Texarkana is just a dying town.
You're right, Chief. Texarkana is a dying town. They can keep building restaurants and hotels forever and it won't matter. Those aren't for us anyway. They are for travelers from elsewhere. Campbell Soup wanted to come here. The city fathers said no. Kodak wanted to come here. The city fathers said no. Schlitz Brewery wanted to come here. The city fathers said no. Texarkana could have a population of 150 K by now but the city fathers wanted to keep it little so they could control it. Well, they got what they wanted. In the past 50 years, Texarkana has only gained about 15 k people. Stick a fork in this town because it's done, baby.
Chief Walksalot

Texarkana, TX

#18 Jul 25, 2013
Red Goosefoot wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, Chief. Texarkana is a dying town. They can keep building restaurants and hotels forever and it won't matter. Those aren't for us anyway. They are for travelers from elsewhere. Campbell Soup wanted to come here. The city fathers said no. Kodak wanted to come here. The city fathers said no. Schlitz Brewery wanted to come here. The city fathers said no. Texarkana could have a population of 150 K by now but the city fathers wanted to keep it little so they could control it. Well, they got what they wanted. In the past 50 years, Texarkana has only gained about 15 k people. Stick a fork in this town because it's done, baby.
I think you have something there; good insight. One more thing to add >> I see where this Renaissance Faire will be at the new fairgrounds. Is there enough room for it? and ... Will people turn out for it or will it go the way of most other festivals in this town: last a year or two, then fold up and die ?
Red Goosefoot

Petersburg, TX

#19 Jul 25, 2013
Chief Walksalot wrote:
<quoted text>I think you have something there; good insight. One more thing to add >> I see where this Renaissance Faire will be at the new fairgrounds. Is there enough room for it? and ... Will people turn out for it or will it go the way of most other festivals in this town: last a year or two, then fold up and die ?
The Renaissance Fair will last two years and it will fold. The only two things people in Texarkana support are donut shops and liquor stores.
Nosey Nancy

United States

#21 Aug 1, 2013
farronwolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Now look who is being a turd. hahaha
click, click. Yay we won free money!!!
Chief Walksalot

Texarkana, TX

#23 Aug 18, 2013
Red Goosefoot wrote:
<quoted text>
...and of those 15 thousand, at least half are inbreds. We also have gained in the number of people living in shelters, and those who don't want to work, and those who are so drug polluted they can't stand up. Why do people move here? I thought it would be a nice clean quiet place, man was I wrong. I give up; those that want change are far outnumbered by the old clans, who hate change. I've tried for years to bring new ideas and music to T town; ain't gonna happen, they keep telling me. They win. You local buddy boys can have your hick town and all the regressives too; I'm outta here.
Red Goosefoot

Texarkana, TX

#25 Aug 18, 2013
Chief Walksalot wrote:
<quoted text>...and of those 15 thousand, at least half are inbreds. We also have gained in the number of people living in shelters, and those who don't want to work, and those who are so drug polluted they can't stand up. Why do people move here? I thought it would be a nice clean quiet place, man was I wrong. I give up; those that want change are far outnumbered by the old clans, who hate change. I've tried for years to bring new ideas and music to T town; ain't gonna happen, they keep telling me. They win. You local buddy boys can have your hick town and all the regressives too; I'm outta here.
I'm stuck in this hellhole for two more years until my wife retires and then we're getting out of this dump of a town. I'm giving it the finger when we leave and I can't wait to see it in my rear view mirror for the last time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texarkana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 2 hr 98 Degree Diarrhea 595
will Topiramate make you high... my son takes this (Aug '08) 5 hr Boobs 43
Patrick Dickey and Billy Drumm (Jan '07) Tue chevy 15
Skye Hargrove Tue J Si Si 15
Review: Silver Needle Alterations Mon Charlie Ransom 13
Sheriff Prince: Why No Arrest In Double Homici... (Oct '13) Dec 15 Woman101 1,334
Chubby Cheeks Employees Will Not Be Charged Dec 15 ermahgerd 3
Texarkana Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Texarkana People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Texarkana News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Texarkana

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:00 am PST