Since: Jan 10

De Kalb, Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Have you guys read this?!!! www.ci.texarkana.tx.us/citynews.html...

“Dwayne ”

Since: Sep 08

Texarkana, Arkansas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Yeah, its something else alright! I visited with Mr Bolt about this and he is standing firm, as I think he should. I am the biggest critic of TWU there is from a rate and budget standpoint and even disagree with them on policy and purchasing often, but this is plain & simple railroading.

Mr Sullivan is wrng to do this, and he has unscene motives that have to do with Riverbend. I have repeated warned the Arkansas Board of Directors about these designs, to no avail.

I also think that it is possible that the whole thing may be a set-up, a baseless lawsuit to get control of the local water supplies. I have looked into the details and it sure appears like a sham from an accounting standpoint. I have a degree in accounting and a lot of experience to back up my research.

D

Since: Nov 07

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Joshua Joyner wrote:
Have you guys read this?!!! www.ci.texarkana.tx.us/citynews.html...
I tried to download this the other day, but never could get it. Can you give us an idea of what it is. Thanks. GW
TexArk

Texarkana, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Government Watch wrote:
<quoted text> I tried to download this the other day, but never could get it. Can you give us an idea of what it is. Thanks. GW
It's a four page letter stating the reasons for Sullivan's lack of confidence in the job performance of Bill King. He asked for an interim director, Phillips. He also says the City of Texarkana, Texas, has been shafted (my words not his) by Texarkana, Ark., because of an unfair split in operations 64/36. After his independent auditor took a new accounting of the books, according to Sullivan, TT owes TA lots of money. He also says there is not a formal agreement between the two cities. There was one, but it expired years ago.
That's my interpretation, but just cause Sullivan puts it in writing doesn't make it so. I trust him about as far as his hair would blow in the breeze.

“Soldier Medic... ”

De Kalb, Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

Dear Mr. Boldt:
I have reviewed your April 5 letter, and the comments made in the april 6 newspaper story.
Contrary to your interpretation of the employment directives to Bill King, there has been no employment termination, and nothing in the directives impairs any duties or responsibilities as may be otherwise specified by contract between our two cities. Please direct your attention to the first page of the directives, and the sentences that read:
These directives are uniquely applicable only to the city of Texarkana, Texas, water department, and Texas funds ( whether Texas revenues or Texas budgeted funds) supporting the management and operations of the water department. These directives supersede anything to the contrary in your current job description; provided, however, that these directives should not be construed to impair any duty or responsibility as may be otherwise specified by contract between the Cities of Texarkana, Texas and Texarkana, Arkansas.
Let me again state what was underscored in the directives:“these directives should not be construed to impair any duty or responsibility as may be otherwise specified by contract between the Cities of Texarkana Texas and Texarkana Arkansas.” This express statement should, in reason, have obviated your April 5 letter.
You continue to refer to “TWU” as an entity unto itself. As Mr. King conceded to the Texas City Council last February, there is no separate legal entity or utility that has been created by our two cities. And, there is no contract between our two cities regarding the management or operation of our cities’ separate water and sewer departments, something that you have conceded to me, and that Mr. King has conceded to the Texas City Council. You reference a “present configuration”, but there is nothing that defines such. As you know, the 1948 contract that provided for one director over our cities’ separate water and sewer departments has long since expired, and no other contract between the cities contains the same or a similar provision. In your letter, you concede that normal water and sewer functions are being provided. So the fact are that these Texas employment directives to Mr. King do not impact water and sewer functions, and thus there is nothing for the city of Texarkana, Arkansas, to arbitrate under any contract between our two cities.

“Soldier Medic... ”

De Kalb, Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

As we discussed in our meeting on September 16, 2009, alarming financial concerns came to light that threaten to undermine the cooperative relationship between our two cities. Mr. King represented publicly to the Texas City Council in the past that cost allocations between our two cities are accurately calculated . It wa sonly after the Texas City Council and I learned from our independent auditor that the 64/36 split being used was based upon 1999 data. I brought tat to your attention, and you admitted that you knew about this, shrugging it off as an acceptable margin of error. And , as you know, Mr. Kings staff has now produced reports generated by the existing computer software -- reports on cost allocation that have apparently never been used (which begs the question why we needed new software, which Mr. King advocated)-- that the percentage allocation should be less than 64% for Texas, more than 36% for Arkansas; and if confirmed by the auditor, this would mean that Texarkana, Texas, taxpayers have overpaid hundreds of thousands of dollars over at least ten years. This discovery, if proven out, would clearly have been a financial windfall for your city, thereby subsidizing Arkansas operations at the expense of the Texas taxpayers. Even you must concede that would not be an acceptable margin of error. Yet you continue to condone the conduct of Mr. King. Are you willing to take responsibility and make restitution if the facts show that Texarkana, Arkansas, owes Texarkana, Texas, hundreds of thousands of dollars as a result of Mr. Kings decisions? Would you prefer that this matter be raised in an adversarial legal proceeding, or that we discuss the matter in good faith without threats and posturing?

“Soldier Medic... ”

De Kalb, Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

As was learned by the Texas City Council during the needless and costly litigation with the Texas cities that have interest an interest the Lake Texarkana Water Supply Corporation facilities, Mr. King is in a position to make decisions that can pit cities against each other. Please seek out the opinions of the elected officials of those cities if you do not consider my opinion reliable. After spending millions of dollars on attorney’s fees as a result of Mr. Kings decisions, the dispute was resolved only when all parties dispensed with their lawyers and met together in good faith without Mr. King. Only then did the rational discussion of regional need, mutual goals, and the best means of achieving those goals begin to develop in a positive fashion. The common denominator in that litigation an dour current issues is Mr. King.
I honestly believe that your Board of Directors wants to preserve the cooperative relationship between our two cities, just as the Texas City Council wants to preserve it. It is also apparent that many Directors on your city’s Board believe that improvements could and should be made in our water and sewer operations, just as the Texas City Council believes an d has tasked me to accomplish. Some of your Directors have expressed dissatisfaction with Mr. King’s performance. Our respective Mayors reached an accord on a proposed interim solution regarding Mr. King months ago, which you declined to endorse. Yet you posture the matter publicly as an intent to cease working together cooperatively on water an d sewer operations. Your posturing can not be reconciled with facts. Let me be crystal clear, again, so that my words are not misquoted: there is no intent on the part of the City of Texarkana, Texas, to cease working together cooperatively with the City of Texarkana, Arkansas, on water and sewer operations.
I share the intent of the Texas City Council for both cities to work together cooperatively in water and sewer operations. As proof of my intent, you will recall back in our September meeting that I encouraged the appointment of J.D. Phillips as interim director for both cities’ departments, to which you did not react unfavorably, and voiced no objection to either the competence or qualifications of Mr. Phillips. I also encouraged the development of a management and operating agreement to define how our separate water and sewer departments should and could work together for the benefit of both cities. I then waited for over 6 months to see if you would propose financial safeguards on management and operation, there being no contract between our two cities on these issues. Receiving nothing from you, I issued the employment directives to Mr. King as a beginning step to attempt to bring reliability and accountability on the use and expenditure of Texas revenues as charged by the Texas City Council. The taxpayers of the City of Texarkana, Texas, hold their elected officials accountable for the use and expenditure of Texas revenues, an d even your city’s own ordinance provides that financial functions of our cities water and sewer departments, including revenues and expenditures, are to be kept “separate and apart”. Also, the directives make it quite clear that Mr. King’s actions are not condoned by me or the City Council of Texarkana, Texas, and that he has no authority to hold himself out as an authorized representative of the City of Texarkana, Texas. While these directives begin to address the issue, a better and more preferable solution would be to have a contract that defines the management and operation of our cities’ water and sewer departments.

“Soldier Medic... ”

De Kalb, Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

To preserve the cooperative relationship an harmony between our two cities, please agree with me on this reasonable proposition: both city managers should have utmost confidence in the person that directs our cities’ cooperative water and sewer operations, and that person should not show favor or loyalty to one city manager over another. If you can agree with me on that reasonable proposition, then please concur to advance Mr. Phillips to interim director (or let us discuss someone else with comparable qualifications, experience, and with a proven record of accuracy and ethical behavior that we can mutually agree upon). Then we can expend our efforts not on destructive adversarial legal proceedings, but on constructive review and improvement of water and sewer operations for both cities. We have already taken a giant step forward in agreeing to use our cities’ local auditor to perform an agreed upon review of operations and cost allocations, and agreeing to split the firm’s fees equally; and the preliminary information received form that review, you must admit, has been enlightening. Let us build upon that.

Continual posturing and misstatements of fact do not serve the interests of our two cities. I believe the concerns are properly addressed in good faith discussions, without threats of litigation. The history of our two cities has been one where reasonable discussions have led to contracts that could be approved by the respective governance bodies. I have always been and remain amenable to such discussions.

Respectfully,

F. Larry Sullivan, Ed. D.
CEO/ City Manager

“Soldier Medic... ”

De Kalb, Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2010

pay no attention to the 4th thread.. I typed this all for you GW.... word for word

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2010

Joshua Joyner wrote:
pay no attention to the 4th thread.. I typed this all for you GW.... word for word
Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. Looks to me like Sullivan is the one pitting one city against another. It also looked like he just called Boldt a lier.
she wounded

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2010

Judged:

Dwayne Hall wrote:
Yeah, its something else alright! I visited with Mr Bolt about this and he is standing firm, as I think he should. I am the biggest critic of TWU there is from a rate and budget standpoint and even disagree with them on policy and purchasing often, but this is plain & simple railroading.
Mr Sullivan is wrng to do this, and he has unscene motives that have to do with Riverbend. I have repeated warned the Arkansas Board of Directors about these designs, to no avail.
I also think that it is possible that the whole thing may be a set-up, a baseless lawsuit to get control of the local water supplies. I have looked into the details and it sure appears like a sham from an accounting standpoint. I have a degree in accounting and a lot of experience to back up my research.
D
Then why don't you get off of toxic topix and do your job. If you've done the research and it "appears like a sham", if you're worth the paper it takes to write your name on, do what needs to be done to stop the "sham". Earn the paycheck you get from the people you claim to work/care for. Or are you like so many others, in fear that the nasty 'powers that be' in Bowie and Miller Co., will chop your head off, so to speak?

“Soldier Medic... ”

De Kalb, Texas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2010

Lets face it... both sides are guilty of years of mismanagment on the water and sewer system. Texarkana was and still is a crazy experiment...However Im interested to see how this plays out... when I read the letter the first tim e I was shocked... but (thanks to GW) after having read it several more times... I think Im seeing a seperate agenda surface by Mr. Sullivan... Judging by this letter it looks as if things are not going to get any better. I hope Mr. Boldt stands his ground IF there i cause to do so... and Ill bet there is. THE PLOT THICKENS
TexArk

Rio Vista, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2010

CORRECTION....
TexArk wrote:
<quoted text>
After his independent auditor took a new accounting of the books, according to Sullivan, TT owes TA lots of money.
SHOULD HAVE BEEN....TA owes TT lots of money.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2010

The Texas city council should just put a stop to the whole thing. They could tell Sullivan the same thing he told Mr. King. Just "Shut UP".
Transplant

Sherman, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2010

Judged:

What about the rumors that the "audit" will show that TWU has been cooking the books in the favor of Texarkana AR by having Texarkana TX pay a larger percentage of the expenses?

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2010

Transplant wrote:
What about the rumors that the "audit" will show that TWU has been cooking the books in the favor of Texarkana AR by having Texarkana TX pay a larger percentage of the expenses?
That was no secret. Texas side is larger and has a lot more usage than the Arkansas side. Sullivan just wanted his man to do the audit, and Boldt wanted an independent auditor that could be fair to both sides.
Golden Years

Texarkana, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2010

Judged:

This man thinks he can just walk all over anyone he pleases. What will Sullivan do next? Maybe he'll tell Texarkana, AR they no longer have the right to use the name Texarkana because he and his council owns the rights to it.
Transplant

Texarkana, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2010

Judged:

Maybe I wasn't clear: Rumors are that TWU has been charging more of the expenses to Texas than are proportionately Texas expenses. that give AR a free ride on some of what should be their portion of the expenses. Everyone knows that TX pays more of the expenses but the correct split is bone of contention. An incorrect split in the expenses could means hundreds of thousands of dollars.
I'll continue to disagree that Boldt wants anything fair. His idea of compromise is two seats on the TX City Council, a blank check from TX, and a marketing budget to slander TX.
Government Watch wrote:
<quoted text> That was no secret. Texas side is larger and has a lot more usage than the Arkansas side. Sullivan just wanted his man to do the audit, and Boldt wanted an independent auditor that could be fair to both sides.

“Dwayne ”

Since: Sep 08

Texarkana, Arkansas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2010

Transplant wrote:
Maybe I wasn't clear: Rumors are that TWU has been charging more of the expenses to Texas than are proportionately Texas expenses. that give AR a free ride on some of what should be their portion of the expenses. Everyone knows that TX pays more of the expenses but the correct split is bone of contention. An incorrect split in the expenses could means hundreds of thousands of dollars.
I'll continue to disagree that Boldt wants anything fair. His idea of compromise is two seats on the TX City Council, a blank check from TX, and a marketing budget to slander TX.
<quoted text>
I have reviewed the detailed accounting used for the division of expenses. I had reason to find mis-allocations or other material errors. I was given free range in their books, and Webb Stanley took time to help me understand just to the extent of what they do to keep one city from paying too much.

My opinion is that it is a fair and accurate accounting of all direct expenses, like if a water main were to be replaced on the Arkansas side, then the equipment used is costed directly to Arkansas, and the labor hours, and the materials used as well. Its really very impressive because they knew his was a likely sore spot they took extra measures to keep expenses separate. This is even extended to details of salaries and other benefits and raises.

Of course, anyone san say anything here, but one should go ask to see the books before accusing someone of mis-allocation, take a look at it for yourself, as I did, and it you find anything, Id like to see it. Thanks

D
TexArk

Petersburg, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2010

Dwayne Hall wrote:
<quoted text>
I have reviewed the detailed accounting used for the division of expenses. I had reason to find mis-allocations or other material errors. I was given free range in their books, and Webb Stanley took time to help me understand just to the extent of what they do to keep one city from paying too much.
My opinion is that it is a fair and accurate accounting of all direct expenses, like if a water main were to be replaced on the Arkansas side, then the equipment used is costed directly to Arkansas, and the labor hours, and the materials used as well. Its really very impressive because they knew his was a likely sore spot they took extra measures to keep expenses separate. This is even extended to details of salaries and other benefits and raises.
Of course, anyone san say anything here, but one should go ask to see the books before accusing someone of mis-allocation, take a look at it for yourself, as I did, and it you find anything, Id like to see it. Thanks
D
Dwayne,

I wonder why someone from the Gazette hasn't done the same? Right now, the paper has left readers believing Sullivan's pathetic rantings.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Texarkana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 1 hr Gasman 22,252
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Gasman 17,833
Al Sharpton 2 hr J Si Si 3
Ghetto/White trash ruining Texarkana (May '13) 4 hr Oak Hill Disciples 51
Sheriff Prince: Why No Arrest In Double Homici... (Oct '13) 17 hr Ghjkl 1,302
Healthcare express chg diet 19 hr just wondering 5
What's Coming To Town? (Feb '14) 19 hr KnotHead989 177

Search the Texarkana Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Texarkana Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000