Your tax dollars at work

Posted in the Texarkana Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Big Tex

Healdton, OK

#1 Sep 2, 2012
been in Houston for a week and came home early Wedneasday morning, or late tuesday night however you want to look at it, and as I pass the Tiger Stadium at 1:30 in the morning it's lit up like the fourth of July! Why are those lights blazing like that? How much electricity did that burn? What kind of electric bills are our tax dollars paying. I DEMAND ANSWERS!
Little Tex

Texarkana, TX

#2 Sep 2, 2012
Because for too long we "Tax Payers" have just let it go without challenge. Just like the College they will eventually want to shove their hands deeper in our pockets to make up for their incompetence. We are going to have to take a stand on the little things before it becomes too expensive here. IMHO
Grow Up

Texarkana, TX

#3 Sep 2, 2012
Little Tex wrote:
Because for too long we "Tax Payers" have just let it go without challenge. Just like the College they will eventually want to shove their hands deeper in our pockets to make up for their incompetence. We are going to have to take a stand on the little things before it becomes too expensive here. IMHO
Oh. get over it, numbnut! They were working to get the field and stadium ready for Friday night's game--the 98th meeting of the Texas High Tigers and Arkansas High Razorbacks. TISD taxpayers get huge value out of that game and the promotion of the stadium--which is used by schools for good fees throughout the play-off season. The promotion of the school district through its successful athletic program continues to draw more and more students to TISD, with the increase of Average Daily Attendance money which is paid to the district by the state.

If you want to help reduce the cost of education to taxpayers, find something constructive to do! Volunteer as a TISD Partner in Education, contribute your time and/or resources to TISD to increase educational opportunities for the less fortunate in the district, join an academic or athletic booster club. Do something other than bitch.
Little Tex

Texarkana, TX

#4 Sep 2, 2012
See what I mean Big Tex! They call us bad things too, while they are shoving their hands deep in our pockets, and all the while thinking they are in the right.
Independent Conservative

United States

#5 Sep 2, 2012
Grow Up wrote:
<quoted text>Oh. get over it, numbnut! They were working to get the field and stadium ready for Friday night's game--the 98th meeting of the Texas High Tigers and Arkansas High Razorbacks. TISD taxpayers get huge value out of that game and the promotion of the stadium--which is used by schools for good fees throughout the play-off season. The promotion of the school district through its successful athletic program continues to draw more and more students to TISD, with the increase of Average Daily Attendance money which is paid to the district by the state.

If you want to help reduce the cost of education to taxpayers, find something constructive to do! Volunteer as a TISD Partner in Education, contribute your time and/or resources to TISD to increase educational opportunities for the less fortunate in the district, join an academic or athletic booster club. Do something other than bitch.
I have volunteered & was a partner in education & still what a waste! All school districts think the taxpayers are an endless pot of gold. Live within your means & show the ones that pay your bills you do appreciate them instead they owing you!
why oh why

Missouri City, TX

#6 Sep 2, 2012
Have you noticed the water trucks that burn expensive gas ALL DAY LONG, watering weeds along the sides of interstate??? And all the sprinklers watering weeds on the access roads in front of Wal-Mart???????
Chief Walksalot

Texarkana, AR

#7 Sep 2, 2012
Having those lights on at night does seem unusual, though. The workers were not able to complete the work during their regular hours, then? Would it be cheaper to hire part time add'l help to finish during daylight hours? Whoever answers this, please be knowledge on the matter and refrain from emotional outbursts. Thanks.
Please, don't anyone try to remind me how important high school football is; I am quite aware that some towns shut down on Friday nights so everyone can attend the game.
Chief Walksalot

Texarkana, AR

#8 Sep 2, 2012
change "knowledge" to "knowledgeable"
Chief Walksalot

Texarkana, AR

#9 Sep 2, 2012
Little Tex wrote:
See what I mean Big Tex! They call us bad things too, while they are shoving their hands deep in our pockets, and all the while thinking they are in the right.
I noticed that too: growup attaches a childish insult to his response. Hah! HE needs to grow up. I don't understand why so many posters have to insult those that don't agree with them. Don't you ever wonder if people like him would throw all dissenters and those with different opinions into jail, if they had the power? Whether or not you support high school football doesn't matter in the least to me. The question is, as we know, not: do we support high school football? but: Are there more efficient ways to utilize our tax dollars in high school prgrams?
Emotiona outbursts will be trashed; rational answers only will be accepted.
Chief Walksalot

Texarkana, AR

#10 Sep 2, 2012
Dang, my keyboard is doing typos today >> change "Emotiona" to " Emotional ", in my last post.
Pigweed

Texarkana, AR

#11 Sep 2, 2012
Chief Walksalot wrote:
Dang, my keyboard is doing typos today >> change "Emotiona" to " Emotional ", in my last post.
I'd take it in if I were you.
farronwolf

Maud, TX

#12 Sep 2, 2012
Grow Up wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. get over it, numbnut! They were working to get the field and stadium ready for Friday night's game--the 98th meeting of the Texas High Tigers and Arkansas High Razorbacks. TISD taxpayers get huge value out of that game and the promotion of the stadium--which is used by schools for good fees throughout the play-off season. The promotion of the school district through its successful athletic program continues to draw more and more students to TISD, with the increase of Average Daily Attendance money which is paid to the district by the state.
Yep, more money to TISD, but state funds for ADA is more for TISD than other districts around here, which means it costs more to the taxpayer to educate them in TISD.

Oh, and lets not forget just how unimportant high school football really is in the whole scope of things, or other sports for that matter. Well unless you are stuck with nothing of real importance in your life.

Like most folks who work off of taxpayer dollars, they don't care what they waste money on, because they didn't have to figure out how to earn it.
Big Tex

Healdton, OK

#13 Sep 2, 2012
I know there was a game to prepare for this week, but it was 1:30am and no one appeared to be around the stadium

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#14 Sep 2, 2012
Big Tex wrote:
I know there was a game to prepare for this week, but it was 1:30am and no one appeared to be around the stadium
Security. I'm sure the lights were on for the security guard to be able to see. The other possibility is that the light could have been recently replaced and were in their break in phase. Not long ago they replaced the lights at PG and they were on for a week for the burn in/break in process.

Location hidden

#15 Sep 2, 2012
A few more comments about the lights, the cost of electricity and volunteering time.

Is it unimaginable that people might find it cooler to work at night? If you haven't noticed, it has been hot aside from the single day of rain brought on by Isaac. I'm sure the cost of the electricity at night for people to be able to see far outweighs the cost of potentially paying the medical bills incurred by one or more having to be treated for heatstroke or worse.

As for volunteering, I know for a fact that there are a large number of volunteers that worked the game for nothing more than the gratification of knowing they made it maybe a little more enjoyable for all the attendees. The concession stands are all manned by volunteers. They worked for a week to make sure any and all had a hot dog, hamburger, soda or snack while at the game. Where did the money come from for the supplies? It wasn't from the school district. The Band Booster Club funds it all in an effort to raise money so the kids can go on an all expense paid trip in the spring. They alternate years going either to Washington DC and Orlando. For many of those kids, this could possibly be their only chance to go on a trip like this. The district doesn't pay not one red cent towards this trip. This isn't just a gimme trip, either. The student must maintain their grades or they get to stay home!

So there are countless volunteer hours by many people that go into making this the best experience it can be for the kids. My wife is involved in the Volunteers in Public Education (VIPS) and believe me, that can turn into a full time job! It all goes towards making the whole experience better for the students AND teachers. So give them a break.
Independent Conservative

Haslet, TX

#16 Sep 4, 2012
Texan2455 wrote:
A few more comments about the lights, the cost of electricity and volunteering time.

Is it unimaginable that people might find it cooler to work at night? If you haven't noticed, it has been hot aside from the single day of rain brought on by Isaac. I'm sure the cost of the electricity at night for people to be able to see far outweighs the cost of potentially paying the medical bills incurred by one or more having to be treated for heatstroke or worse.

As for volunteering, I know for a fact that there are a large number of volunteers that worked the game for nothing more than the gratification of knowing they made it maybe a little more enjoyable for all the attendees. The concession stands are all manned by volunteers. They worked for a week to make sure any and all had a hot dog, hamburger, soda or snack while at the game. Where did the money come from for the supplies? It wasn't from the school district. The Band Booster Club funds it all in an effort to raise money so the kids can go on an all expense paid trip in the spring. They alternate years going either to Washington DC and Orlando. For many of those kids, this could possibly be their only chance to go on a trip like this. The district doesn't pay not one red cent towards this trip. This isn't just a gimme trip, either. The student must maintain their grades or they get to stay home!

So there are countless volunteer hours by many people that go into making this the best experience it can be for the kids. My wife is involved in the Volunteers in Public Education (VIPS) and believe me, that can turn into a full time job! It all goes towards making the whole experience better for the students AND teachers. So give them a break.
I would, but for the salaries we pay & the waste of money the admin blows, TISD could do a better job. As far as volunteering NO MORE!!!!!
Pedro

Cresson, TX

#17 Sep 4, 2012
I wouldn't volunteer if you paid me (humor intended). I feel nothing in my life pushing me to do anything for Texas High.
Tony

Texarkana, TX

#18 Sep 4, 2012
Too bad--it's an awesome place! Considering the challenges that school district must meet due to the diverse socio-economic nature of its student body, the results are phenominal.
Fernando

Texarkana, AR

#19 Sep 4, 2012
Pedro wrote:
I wouldn't volunteer if you paid me (humor intended). I feel nothing in my life pushing me to do anything for Texas High.
That kind of negative attitude is just what we don't need on Topix. No wonder people in Texarkana dislike us Mexicans. I'm going back to Juarez anyway next week. I haven't seen my seƱorita in over a month.

Location hidden

#20 Sep 4, 2012
Independent Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
I would, but for the salaries we pay & the waste of money the admin blows, TISD could do a better job. As far as volunteering NO MORE!!!!!
If you think they waste so much money, then why don't you try to do something about it and run for the school board? Maybe you could get something accomplished there instead of griping about it here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texarkana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fishing and hunting tips. 6 hr None 11
Why Do Black Peeps Look Like Apes? (Jan '12) 20 hr Willie Granville 234
News Area activists push to make Dream Act a reality... Sat Willie Granville 14
Gypsies in Texarkana (Aug '10) Oct 18 Robby113 832
Gypsy blacktoppers (Jun '13) Oct 18 Milie 22
Boswell Gypsies Oct 17 JillsLover 1
News Texarkana, TX police suspend search for missing... Oct 17 Dea Tea 2

Texarkana Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance