Man Wants Hospital to Remove Surgical...

Man Wants Hospital to Remove Surgical Clip

There are 263 comments on the KPVI-TV Pocatello story from Nov 26, 2007, titled Man Wants Hospital to Remove Surgical Clip. In it, KPVI-TV Pocatello reports that:

“If we have a patient with a concern, we address these concerns immediately, both in the best interest of the patients and for the overall improvement of care in our hospital.”

Posted: A man from Firth says he's been in pain since having surgery at Bingham Memorial Hospital and later finding out the doctor left a surgical clip inside of him. via KPVI-TV Pocatello

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KPVI-TV Pocatello.

Kar

El Monte, CA

#250 Feb 17, 2013
Tired, I hear you loud and clear. It is frustrating and wearing to be patronized. Keep at it and make sure you find something to bring you Hope. Anything. Years of hell and pain nearly broke me. Don't let it happen to you. Find a bright spot in life and move towards it. Non of us are alone here.
carol l

Cerritos, CA

#251 Feb 21, 2013
Monica Rix Paxson wrote:
<quoted text>
I find your response very inappropriate. It is standard operating procedure to leave surgical clips in after gall-bladder surgery. That seems to be a less-than-ideal solution for people with metal allergies (like I have) or other averse reactions. It doesn't always mean a lawsuit is the solution however. And your suggestion that this is just a slam dunk law case is highly annoying and doesn't contribute anything to a careful evaluation of whether the clips are the problem and whether a lawsuit is affordable, appropriate or winnable.
statue of limitations is the problem 2 yrs is the max i am going thru the same thing servere pain i may be allregic to the clips keep looking for a doctor to help me you should do the same god blees us all
carol l

Cerritos, CA

#253 Feb 21, 2013
all kaiser doctors r full of shit and i hope they go thru hell
karen

Livonia, MI

#254 Mar 10, 2013
Meredith wrote:
Oh joy oh joy!! I went to my primary today and he believes me and has referred me to a surgeon who he believes will take the clips out. My primary feels that with all my symptoms that I will not have to wait for the blood test to prove allergies he thinks we have enough proof and that when presented with the opinion of him (my primary) and the list of symptomology that the surgeon will take my clips out. I will keep you all posted on how the surgeon is and what he decides. Cross fingers and say prayers!!
What were your results???
Annette

Huntsville, TX

#255 Mar 18, 2013
Meredith, Please update us on your outcome and contact information for the surgeon that removed your clamps.
Annette

Huntsville, TX

#256 Mar 18, 2013
Meredith, Please email me at [email protected] so I can send you my phone number. Thank you
caroline knightley

UK

#259 Apr 24, 2013
Name Withheld wrote:
I had gall bladder surgery 3 years ago and have been in pain ever since. The pain radiates outward from the exact location of the clips. I can't sit for any length of time or have anything pressing on my abdomen. Here is the thing, I told the nurse before the surgery that I had a metal allergy. She wrote it on my chart and on my hospital bracelet. Then the doctor came in and I told him I had metal allergies and he said no one was allergic to titanium and he did the surgery and put the clips in anyway. I have right sided edema, abdominal spasms, itching, fluid retention, hot burning pain in my ribs and into my back. I have had many tests all basically normal except that my gastric emptying rate was VERY VERY VERY slow, I am also enemic and my B-12 is low as well as whatever it is that stores Iron (can't remember what it
is called right now) Endoscopy, colonoscopy,ERCP, MRI,Cat Scan, x-rays. It is at the point now where I can't even lay comfortably in bed and have to constantly shift to try to find a spot to lay on that doesn't hurt. My primary care doc is willing to send blood for allergy testing but it runs about 700$ and I am now without health insurance. So for now I suffer but if and when I can prove it is the clips. I will see the doctor in court. He was told and knowingly chose to go ahead and put clips in anyway.
Hi there i am in the same boat! i had mine done on May 5th 2010 a day i will never ever forget and like you i warned of my allergies!
i ended back in thearte 2 weeks later and nerves were trapped in 5 5 screws!! and since then the sufffering i now have aids at home for my problems and a blue badge this is how far it has come since 2010! i did go back numerous times and he said would takem them out only my neck went and an MRI showed compression on nerves right lateral only i have it both sides. i was told by neuro surgeon an neurologist this was not causing my universal pain etc.
i have just been pain clinic for 2nd time and wanted injections but was refused! becausse of the extent of widespread issues ?!1? so F*kin what do one at a time then . i am an emotional wreck today and with the medical professions at moment and i am such a lovely bubbly happy individual i am known for always a smile!!
huh times change i guess ..

anyway i have done quite a lot of research and i have found issues that relate to this subject and i have printed off and will be keping as i never did a claim for negligence and it has taken me 3 yrs!!! to see if i will be ok ad i am not so 3 yrs is your limit and after this you cannot claim .
i was asked why not claimed straight after? this is beccause i not that sort of person and if he corrected me and i was ok then i would not do it as surgery etc and appointments is money alone along with scans etc. so i have waited and hoped and prayed that things would improve but they have not.
i am self employed to top it all and had to get some one to take over and its crippled me because upstairs in my head i believe i would gt better ..

Please feel free to gt in touch via email
Gloria

Meridian, MS

#260 May 2, 2013
Albert wrote:
I have walked I in your shoes. I have had surgery and have multiple clips in my body. I feel fine and don't want to sue my doctor
Same difference if a doctor put a micro-chip in you without your knowledge or permission !!!!!
Keny Miller- Bruceton Tn

New Salisbury, IN

#262 May 8, 2013
Barb wrote:
I also just discovered 8 surgical clips left in me after a surgery I had two years ago. I had been back to my doctor several times to complain about nerve damage in the area and surrounding muscle groups. I was never informed before or after surgery that they were there. I discovered them accidently after viewing my recent X-rays. I contacted an attorney and am pursueing compensation for permanent damages. I have had no feeling in my arm or lats for two years. I am also seeking a surgeon who will remove these defaming wound markers.
I also just found that, after having my kidney removed that, I have over 40 surgical clips that were left inside of me, The pain is so intense that the Oxycodone and Hydrocone doesn't keep the pain to a bearable level.
Could you give me your attorney's name so I can contact him about my case? My e mail address is [email protected] Any Help would be Greatly Appreciated.
Meredith

AOL

#263 May 8, 2013
I posted a long response but it got lost in cyber space. I am not on here much so if you want to talk to me or ask me any questions the best way to do it is by facebook. Look up Meredith Sarratori, Youngstown ny
Dee

Corbin, KY

#265 May 19, 2013
Wow found this thread by accident, and i have to say I feel all your pain. I had my gallbladder removed on labor day 1990. I was 6 months pregnant but it was gangrene and had several stones the size of golf balls, the docs had blown off my gallbladder attacks since i was age 13. They kept saying it was suspected to be a gallbladder attack but all they would ever do is a plain xray and shoot me up and send me home, they would say there is no way a child that age could have gallbladder disease. I have many medical problems besides this MS and crohns just for a couple of them.
Anyways back to the staples and clips, I have never had relief from the attacks, even after the gallbladder removal, i have had hundreds of nurses tell me flat out they need to remove the clips and staples. Mind you the staples left inside me are not the internal one they are the ones that are used to close the skin, know this from mri, cat scan etc, came from several doctors telling me that they were external staples and should not be there. I have continuous gall bladder like attacks from day one. I feel as if i am stuck in a massive gallbladder attack. Sure they treat the pain, vomiting, nausea, etc. However, if they say they are the wrong ones in there then why not remove them, well i was told that they will not remove them because of fear of a medical lawsuit, I say excuse my language, bullshit. I have no intention of suing i just want out of this severe pain, the right lobe of my liver has been inflamed since then, my wbcs are very high and stay around 80 thous and higher at all times. Also had this surgery done the old way, the scar is so wide you can literally stick your hand down into the area, mind you i only did it once just to see why it seemed so odd looking. I have searched high and low for a surgeon that would remove them and every last one will agree they need to come out but they also all say they wont do it due to fear of malpractice. I have offered to have a legal letter stating i would not sue but they are so scared of lawsuits that they wont even try. I really understand some lawsuits but because this country is sue happy it leaves those of us who are in this situation out in the cold. I pray someday that I will be able to find someone who will remove them until then i will live in agony, nausea, vomiting, pain. I also after this surgery developed many different alergies to meds, latex, and adhesives. If you put even a bandaid on me almost instantly it is like pouring acid on me. Sometimes they have no choice but to use an adhesive on me such as iv's. However, it is in my records to use it sparingly and only when 100 percent necessary. If any of you have any ideas of a doctor that will help anywhere in the states please let me know, i am willing to go anywhere just to get out of this pain.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#266 May 27, 2013
Dee wrote:
Wow found this thread by accident, and i have to say I feel all your pain. I had my gallbladder removed on labor day 1990. I was 6 months pregnant but it was gangrene and had several stones the size of golf balls, the docs had blown off my gallbladder attacks since i was age 13. They kept saying it was suspected to be a gallbladder attack but all they would ever do is a plain xray and shoot me up and send me home, they would say there is no way a child that age could have gallbladder disease. I have many medical problems besides this MS and crohns just for a couple of them.
Anyways back to the staples and clips, I have never had relief from the attacks, even after the gallbladder removal, i have had hundreds of nurses tell me flat out they need to remove the clips and staples. Mind you the staples left inside me are not the internal one they are the ones that are used to close the skin, know this from mri, cat scan etc, came from several doctors telling me that they were external staples and should not be there. I have continuous gall bladder like attacks from day one. I feel as if i am stuck in a massive gallbladder attack. Sure they treat the pain, vomiting, nausea, etc. However, if they say they are the wrong ones in there then why not remove them, well i was told that they will not remove them because of fear of a medical lawsuit, I say excuse my language, bullshit. I have no intention of suing i just want out of this severe pain, the right lobe of my liver has been inflamed since then, my wbcs are very high and stay around 80 thous and higher at all times. Also had this surgery done the old way, the scar is so wide you can literally stick your hand down into the area, mind you i only did it once just to see why it seemed so odd looking. I have searched high and low for a surgeon that would remove them and every last one will agree they need to come out but they also all say they wont do it due to fear of malpractice. I have offered to have a legal letter stating i would not sue but they are so scared of lawsuits that they wont even try. I really understand some lawsuits but because this country is sue happy it leaves those of us who are in this situation out in the cold. I pray someday that I will be able to find someone who will remove them until then i will live in agony, nausea, vomiting, pain. I also after this surgery developed many different alergies to meds, latex, and adhesives. If you put even a bandaid on me almost instantly it is like pouring acid on me. Sometimes they have no choice but to use an adhesive on me such as iv's. However, it is in my records to use it sparingly and only when 100 percent necessary. If any of you have any ideas of a doctor that will help anywhere in the states please let me know, i am willing to go anywhere just to get out of this pain.
wow i just can't believe your story.. you are a very strong person..hope you'll find that right doctor
Kar

El Monte, CA

#267 May 27, 2013
Dee. Sorry to hear of your situation. I fully relate. The lawsuit issue is complex. I also just want my object out. I say object because it is just that. Not clips nor staples nor any known surgical device. Yet no one will remove it for fear of a lawsuit. Its maddening.
The only advice I have is. Try to keep positive, and don't give up. I've started saving and when I have enough I'll go to another country and have my UFO removed ....

It's hard to believe it's been so many years sense I made the first post on this story. I was in contact with the reporter for a time. She never contacted me after I sent her copies of Med records xrays and MRI. Funny how people ignore the issue
Gloria

Meridian, MS

#268 Jun 1, 2013
Bill wrote:
Why aren't you people asking your surgeon these questions instead of this web site? Or if you need a second opinion, go to another surgeon. Would you really trust the advice of strangers?????
Sounds like a remark from a " I think I am God surgeon". Jerks
jenn

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#269 Jun 4, 2013
John wrote:
<quoted text>
OR Nurse, please read this article and learn some new thing so that you won't mislead others. There is a CLIPLESS type of laparoscopic surgery: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19851262
"Neither the 3-mm laparoscope, nor clips, nor manufactured endobags were used. The cystic artery was safely sealed by electrocautery near the gallbladder neck and the cystic duct was sealed with surgical knots."
,and watch this startign at minute 3:55: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =MMJVd7wDeGMXX
Minilaparoscopic Cholecystectomy Clipless Technique
what about when your 18 yr old daughter has emergency gall bladder surgery and has no time to research and doc just tells you its going to be lapo... and THEY FAIL to make you sign a consent form to leave "metal" inside YOUR body. No indication upon hospital discharge papers they don't indicate metal that is inside your body and has had complications for the last 10 months and has been to the ER 5 times for them to say its nothing wrong with you. your pain is not real!!!!
becca

Toledo, OH

#270 Jun 16, 2013
Bill wrote:
Why aren't you people asking your surgeon these questions instead of this web site? Or if you need a second opinion, go to another surgeon. Would you really trust the advice of strangers?????
Not here to get strangers advice...we're here to see how many people have the same answers no matter how many doctors you ask..im my case my husband hasx been to many dr.s and the v.a.hospital and they all say his roaming clips ...now lodged on his kindney causes him no pain...though stones cause you pain but not these clips ...clips that should of stay in place to begin with...SO NOW IF DOCTORS WONT LISTEN....WHERE DO WE TURN??????????DO TELL....
becca

Toledo, OH

#271 Jun 16, 2013
I REALLY LOVE HOW THESE PEOPLE ON HERE THAT HAVE NO CLUE TO THE PAIN THESE PEOPLE ARE IN CAN RUN THIER MOUTH and say stupid @ss sh@t....they need to try and put their self in their shoes...or how would they feel if it was one of their loved ones...you know their mom, dad ,husband, wife, or child...ect...if you have no clue...then say nothing....

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#272 Jun 18, 2013
why is everybody so mad in here?hehe
becca

Toledo, OH

#273 Jun 18, 2013
Because these people including my husband are in such horrible pain and there is no one out there to help them....thats why....and until you walk in there shoes or have a loved one there...you have no clue how aggravating it is...THAT'S WHY!!!!

Since: May 13

Montréal, Canada

#274 Jun 19, 2013
Kar wrote:
Is there any updated information on this story?
No, people just make story and forget in the same way doctor’s just do surgery and forget clips or anything else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terreton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Straight curious want to be bu**ed Sat Anonymous 1
Oxford Dental Review Aug 25 Adam 1
sex with bro and sis Aug 23 Gigd87 25
Dirty knickers Aug 21 Incestlover25 1
Upity up Aug 21 Jusplyn 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Idaho (Dis... (Oct '10) Aug 9 Mister22 9
News Geese Fall Dead in Midflight While Migrating Ov... Mar '15 Terreton ID 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Terreton Mortgages