ATV's destroying West Terre Haute Levee

Full story: WTHI Terre Haute

There are concerns about the West Terre Haute levee. Officials say four-wheelers are destroying the levee, and that could mean some serious problems in the long run.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of199
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Kleenex

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2008

TAKE THEIR ATV'S AWAY FROM THEM
Superstar

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2008

Judged:

Thats a good idea. They had the same problem just east of Clinton on the levee. People dont care, they just want to ride and dont think their hurting anything. Fine them and impound their ATV's
Deerslayer

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2008

Judged:

They should make everyone who owns an ATV have to plate them (put a TAX on the plates) and put insurance on them. Yes, that won't stop people, however when officers do stop them they will have extra fines to throw at them and impound the vehicles.... ATVs need to go.... This also might curb those out there putting young children on them...
Kobayashi Maru

Altoona, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2008

Nice thought but how do you catch an atv if they don't want to stop? Say after they been fined and lost their atv once. Maybe we should buy atvs for the West Terre Haute Police Dept. and they can sit and wait for the bad guys, maybe having a pursuit that takes them into the public roadways? Wait... then they can't respond to other calls in town unless they drive the atv or leave it there. But it would get stolen if WTHPD left one on the levee while they drove their police car to a call. Huuuummmmm what to do
west t two

Altoona, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2008

Judged:

where are all the west terre haute police..? why cant they stop them..? or is it just to much work..?
avapro

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2008

Judged:

why doesnt someone designate an area for people to ride their atv's? hey theres an idea...people wouldnt be riding their atv's in areas where they werent supposed to be if they had somewhere else to ride where it wasnt illegal...
hmmmm

Galena, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2008

How about they stop riding on someone elses property? Its illegal. Then the WTHP tries to stop them (I hear them trying to all the time) but they cant pursue them very well once they get into the bottoms and its not safe to do so on surface streets.
Bookem Dano

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2008

Bring the ATV (and stray dog) exterminator - Dan Whallon back!
flush em

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2008

Judged:

who cares if they tear up the levee... what that town needs is a major flood to flush it out!
rsackerman3

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2008

ok, here's an idea, don't know if it will work or not. how about burying some spike strips and flatten there tires, leave just enough up to do the job, but yet they can't see them. also after there 3rd offense keep there atv's and aucton them off to pay for the repairs to the levee!!! also have them be the ones to repair it during community service or go to jail, and on top of it all give them a nice size fine. bet ya they'll think twice about doing it then!!!!!
ace

Warren, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2008

Judged:

I think there needs to be a riding park somewhere in Vigo County. Charge a small fee to ride in there, like 5 dollars a week. In the counties where riding ATV's are legal on the road, Parke County for one, they have to have a number from the DNR and be registered to them. I enjoy riding ATV's. A example of a place to ride them would be Redbird State Recreational area. Now a smaller area around here, like they used to have in Vermillion County, would fit in well with riders if it was reasonable priced.
Steve

Belleville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Instead of having a could be fined up to $500, why don't they just fine anyone caught there on a four wheeler $500 the first time and confiscate their four wheeler the second time and charge them $500. If you want to keep people out of there your going to have to take a stand or people will just run right over you.
hello

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

avapro wrote:
why doesnt someone designate an area for people to ride their atv's? hey theres an idea...people wouldnt be riding their atv's in areas where they werent supposed to be if they had somewhere else to ride where it wasnt illegal...
Insurance would cost a fortune for something like that.I don't ride them and find them annoying when I come across one in my part of town.I feel like running them over in the car.Now that's an idea,open season on ATVs.
Same goes fro the Harley riders,buy a damn muffler.I don't know how the heck they get away with it.If a car has loud exhaust,guess who gets pulled over and a ticket or warning.
Tim B

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Judged:

If you catch them on the levee, I say confiscate their ATV. Either they will quit riding on it or you can start selling the ATV's to pay for the damage.
Simply Put

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

The punishment must out weigh the crime. If the reward is "worth" the punishment to the violator, it will never end. We don't touch a hot stove. Why, because it hurts. Make the minimum fine $500, take the ATV, something, it's got to "hurt" a little. I'm not saying we need to chop off fingers... I'm just saying...

Since: Feb 08

Terre Haute, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Maybe we should "chop off their fingers".... that'll hurt!
Deerslayer

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

The majority of people who own ATV don't own ground in order to ride them. Very few people use these machines for the purpose of work. If you don't have a farm you don't buy a tractor? Charge and extra fee for those who are buying them (All of the sport bikes) and give tax breaks to those use them as intended for a extention of equipement needs. The real problem are sport bikes allowing kids to go where they're not supposed to be. Designated area only work for those who have a little money to spend. The ones who are out riding and trespassing are not likely to pay a fee to ride??? Think about it.(Here's the real kicker, you outlaw ATV's whats next? Alcohol, Guns, ect...) I don't like the ATV either. To stop them we have to be willing to help the authorities and turn them in....
West Haution

League City, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Have complained many times to both the police and sheriff's department about the "traffic" of ATV's in our WTH neighborhood. They said that the WTH town board did not allow them to chase the ATV's. I just figured that if they weren't interested then when the levee did break the city of WTH and the county were who were responsible. Maybe they should be checking this out in the South end and between 10PM and 8AM...yes...they run ALL NIGHT LONG!! Last night after this was on the news is ONE of the few nights that we didn't hear the CONSTANT hum of ATV'S. I wonder how many they are getting in the night hours. I know where they live and they sure aren't disappearing.
ATV RIDER

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Judged:

IF THEY WHERE LEGAL TO RIDE ON COUNTY ROADS LIKE MOST COUNTIES. THEY WOULD STAY OFF YOUR LEVEE .
West Haution

League City, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

Judged:

Don't kid yourself ATV RIDER, they aren't just riding on the levee...they use the roads too and the highways and I have even seen them on I-70. The problem is they aren't licensed or insured and when they hit you (as they don't stop at lights or stop signs) the 4-wheeler is yours, after YOUR insurance pays for the damage.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of199
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

68 Users are viewing the Terre Haute Forum right now

Search the Terre Haute Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Brookie harris 41 min Nathan 10
Anna holbert 1 hr stinky finger 8
Burger King on Wabash 2 hr Transvagial Mesh 6
Terre Haute Sucks: Give 1 Reason 4 hr Deez-nutz 216
Vaso Michaels 4 hr Deez-nutz 9
Former Vigo treasurer facing $26,000 bill 4 hr The Comedian 8
Need To See Whats Coming 4 hr The Comedian 3
Tucker Ray trial 15 hr Kangaroo Courts 56
•••