Man charged with murder cleared on "s...

Man charged with murder cleared on "self-defense"

There are 17 comments on the WTHI Terre Haute story from Jul 3, 2008, titled Man charged with murder cleared on "self-defense". In it, WTHI Terre Haute reports that:

A Wabash Valley shooting was justified as self defense. Last Saturday, police say a fight between Michael Gallagher and Jarrett Nicholson ended when Nicholson was shot and killed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTHI Terre Haute.

Jake Kobeer

Essex, MD

#1 Jul 3, 2008
Although I hate seeing gunshot wounds coming through my office, I would rather see a 'self defense gunshot wound' rather than a 'homicidal gunshot wound.'
-Dr. Jacob L. Kobeer,
Tyvan County Medical Examiner & Coroner
Bob Suburban

United States

#2 Jul 4, 2008
Poorly written article. If "No charges will be filed in this case" as the story suggests, then why "Man charged with murder"? The story never says when (or even if) anyone was actually charged. In fact, it implies no one was ever charged or ever will be.
Just a Question

Pineville, LA

#3 Jul 4, 2008
Bob Suburban wrote:
Poorly written article. If "No charges will be filed in this case" as the story suggests, then why "Man charged with murder"? The story never says when (or even if) anyone was actually charged. In fact, it implies no one was ever charged or ever will be.
www.dailycitizen.com has more on the story. That is the Linton newspaper.
linton

United States

#4 Jul 4, 2008
oh my
Santee

United States

#5 Jul 4, 2008
Was never charged, and will not be charged. Lots of rumors and conspiracy theories in Linton. Likely by those close to the dead guy, who do not know crap, but only say things out of emotion. But someone beating the crap out of me, inside my own home, and I get the chance, they would be shot too.
The Accused

United States

#6 Jul 4, 2008
yes, it was self defense. i was defending myself.
EDWARD J CARROL

Tampa, FL

#9 Jul 7, 2008
We don't have all the facts, so all I can say is he was in the righ beibg he was in his done house when he did just what I would have , SELF DEFENCE PERIOD.
Mark Question

Punxsutawney, PA

#10 Jul 7, 2008
EDWARD J CARROL wrote:
We don't have all the facts, so all I can say is he was in the righ beibg he was in his done house when he did just what I would have , SELF DEFENCE PERIOD.
What?

Since: May 07

Brazil, IN

#11 Jul 7, 2008
huh?
Heller

United States

#12 Jul 7, 2008
Good job on the homeowners part neutralizing a threat towards his life.

The title of the article is not only misleading, but is also a weak attempt to put a negative spin on a positive outcome.
wondering

United States

#13 Jul 7, 2008
Accused,
you ran before the verdict. how much self defense was really involved?
Cap in Booty

Chicago, IL

#14 Jul 7, 2008
Would like some info on how to go about killing people without any repercussions. Can someone give me a holla?
Cap in Booty

Chicago, IL

#15 Jul 7, 2008
EDWARD J CARROL wrote:
Ed, what the hellll are you trying to say here?
The Harry Cox

AOL

#16 Jul 7, 2008
EDWARD J CARROL wrote:
Huh?
Heller

United States

#19 Jul 7, 2008
Just to make it a bit more clear for anyone reading this -

Existing Indiana laws allow residents of the state to use a firearm or other deadly weapon to protect themselves or someone else from serious bodily injury.Indiana residents do not have a duty to retreat prior to using deadly force either.

Know your state laws.
Cap in Booty

Chicago, IL

#20 Jul 7, 2008
Heller wrote:
Just to make it a bit more clear for anyone reading this -
Existing Indiana laws allow residents of the state to use a firearm or other deadly weapon to protect themselves or someone else from serious bodily injury.Indiana residents do not have a duty to retreat prior to using deadly force either.
Know your state laws.
That sounds fantastic! Gonna be shootin' me up some hoes yo!
Uncle Cracker

United States

#21 Jul 8, 2008
Cap in Booty wrote:
<quoted text>That sounds fantastic! Gonna be shootin' me up some hoes yo!
Not sure what to make of your post. Are you trying to convey your dislike of guns & personal protection, or trying to be funny? If this is attempt at humor I'd suggest you try something else. Laugh & make ridiculous comments all you want. Maybe someday you or one of your family members life will be on the line & then it will not be very funny at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terre Haute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
shooting in northend thersa Wheatley house 12 min TT Resident 101
Cori Atkinson arrested 14 min Truth seeker 113
Drama Queens - Name Em! 25 min Ferry Dean 15
umba? (Oct '15) 38 min Seriously 27
Kyle Akers 51 min Arrested again 5
Heather Barrett from Cory Methhead (Jul '15) 52 min Barrett_son_plumbing 20
News Marshall teen requests trial in court on animal... 1 hr Realist 123
Girls that do anything for meth 10 hr Break 46
More from around the web

Personal Finance