college tuition
senior

United States

#1 Jan 7, 2013
how can parents afford to send their kids to college,with tuition so high? help me if you have any info.
informed

Fairfax, VA

#2 Jan 7, 2013
Have your kids apply to every scholarship contest/essay/project they can. Tons go by and never even get applied for. Also look into applying early for their FAFSA so they have a better opportunity to receive grants and federal aid. There are also plenty of student loans available at very attractive interest rates. Most don't have to be paid until up to 3 yrs after graduation and can be spread out over up to 15 years. Your child may also have better attendance and grades if they realize that they are going to be footing the bill for what they don't earn in scholarships and awards.
Mere

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Jan 7, 2013
Don't waste your time, or money worrying about it, now days an education can't even pay for itself.
obama phone

Fairfax, VA

#4 Jan 8, 2013
Mere wrote:
Don't waste your time, or money worrying about it, now days an education can't even pay for itself.
Yeah! That's a great attitude to have! Education isn't worth anything! Let's all jump on the Obama train! Like the song says "hear she is on her Obama phone just like me hates to be alone. She just likes to sit at home, and live off the president... Meet Virginia..." .... Seriously, do what you have to so your kids can get a higher education. With out it they will have to resort to going to to the army and hoping to retire from it with crap benifits or crossing their fingers that McDonalds comes up with a "baller" 401k plan that promises to super size your investment. I wouldn't hold my breath on that option though.
Mere

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Jan 8, 2013
Nothing wrong with good old fashioned work, myself, and my family go to work every day, without a college education, no Obama phone, food stamps, ect...
We don't buy on credit, or ask anybody for anything.
Never heard of an Obama phone, I pay my phone bill, thank you.
Now, go get your student loans, and get that education, hope you can make enough money to pay it back.
college student

Belvidere, IL

#6 Jan 8, 2013
I went to college for one year then left first of summer and went to airforce reserve only missed fall semester made it up graduated on time. I received some forcollege tuition plus $900 a month while full time in school. Once a weekend 2 weeks a year. Did not take anytime from school after training. The rest my parents had saved and I took out some loans.
Truth-Hurts

Terre Haute, IN

#7 Jan 8, 2013
I don't/won't pay for my kid's college. It's not "my" investment. It's HIS investment in himself and HIS future. I'm willing to help out when he falls short, he hasn't as of yet. He earned a tuition scholarship and busts his butt all summer to pay for his books and dorm. Also, because it's his own blood, sweat, and tears...he doesn't party or waste his money. He's too busy making his hard work pay off. He just finished this past semester with a 3.5.

Since: Oct 12

Garden City, MI

#8 Jan 8, 2013
Truth-Hurts wrote:
I don't/won't pay for my kid's college. It's not "my" investment. It's HIS investment in himself and HIS future. I'm willing to help out when he falls short, he hasn't as of yet. He earned a tuition scholarship and busts his butt all summer to pay for his books and dorm. Also, because it's his own blood, sweat, and tears...he doesn't party or waste his money. He's too busy making his hard work pay off. He just finished this past semester with a 3.5.
A 3.5? Sounds like that bitch needs to work a bit harder.
Papaw

Clinton, IN

#9 Jan 8, 2013
Truth-Hurts wrote:
I don't/won't pay for my kid's college. It's not "my" investment. It's HIS investment in himself and HIS future. I'm willing to help out when he falls short, he hasn't as of yet. He earned a tuition scholarship and busts his butt all summer to pay for his books and dorm. Also, because it's his own blood, sweat, and tears...he doesn't party or waste his money. He's too busy making his hard work pay off. He just finished this past semester with a 3.5.
Good for you! Most university students believe it's their right to party for 4 years. Some of the degrees these kids go for are useless. Why in hell do they need a degree to learn how to sell stuff? 60 years ago you became a salesman if you had no job skills or ambition and you didn't have to go to school to learn how.
Truth-Hurts

Terre Haute, IN

#10 Jan 8, 2013
Papaw wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you! Most university students believe it's their right to party for 4 years. Some of the degrees these kids go for are useless. Why in hell do they need a degree to learn how to sell stuff? 60 years ago you became a salesman if you had no job skills or ambition and you didn't have to go to school to learn how.
He's an engineering major and the workload is insane. Some of those degrees are ridiculous. Liberal arts and communications, are just a couple of examples of a total waste of "parent's" money.

We were shopping for last minute items for his dorm, and the girl stocking the shelves at Target overheard us deciding what to get and said "Back when I was in college"... Ummmm Yeah, how's that liberal arts degree treating ya sweetie? Too funny.
Confucius

Indianapolis, IN

#11 Jan 8, 2013
Truth-Hurts wrote:
<quoted text>He's an engineering major and the workload is insane. Some of those degrees are ridiculous. Liberal arts and communications, are just a couple of examples of a total waste of "parent's" money.
We were shopping for last minute items for his dorm, and the girl stocking the shelves at Target overheard us deciding what to get and said "Back when I was in college"... Ummmm Yeah, how's that liberal arts degree treating ya sweetie? Too funny.
You have answered your own question.
obama phone

Fairfax, VA

#12 Jan 8, 2013
Mere wrote:
Nothing wrong with good old fashioned work, myself, and my family go to work every day, without a college education, no Obama phone, food stamps, ect...
We don't buy on credit, or ask anybody for anything.
Never heard of an Obama phone, I pay my phone bill, thank you.
Now, go get your student loans, and get that education, hope you can make enough money to pay it back.
I bet your retirement looks great and you have amazing health care! I can say for myself that I have gained a job that pays $60k and carries great benefits for my family. I didn't graduate college. But I know for a fact that I can't excel any further without a degree. I can't get to that 6 figure salary without a degree. Each person has a personal value about themselves. Certain things that make them more marketable in the workforce. While experience is great, an education is an extremely attractive piece to that puzzle.
Mere

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Jan 8, 2013
Look, I made a comment, thats all, it was my opinion, different from yours, and thats a good thing.
I didnt want to get in a pissing match, about how much money I make, verses you, and your funds.
I didnt graduate college, hell, I didnt graduate high school.
I work by the sweat of my brow, and the brow of the guys that work for me, I am thankfull for them!
Your $60k is about 1/4 what I bring in a year, I dont have alot of benifits, because I work for myself, but I can afford a Dr. visit if I have to go.
I would imagine that an education is well suited to you, get that degree you so desire, along the way, learn about respeting others opinions, without attacking them, and telling them how wrong they are.
Good luck to ya.
obama phone

Fairfax, VA

#14 Jan 8, 2013
Mere wrote:
Look, I made a comment, thats all, it was my opinion, different from yours, and thats a good thing.
I didnt want to get in a pissing match, about how much money I make, verses you, and your funds.
I didnt graduate college, hell, I didnt graduate high school.
I work by the sweat of my brow, and the brow of the guys that work for me, I am thankfull for them!
Your $60k is about 1/4 what I bring in a year, I dont have alot of benifits, because I work for myself, but I can afford a Dr. visit if I have to go.
I would imagine that an education is well suited to you, get that degree you so desire, along the way, learn about respeting others opinions, without attacking them, and telling them how wrong they are.
Good luck to ya.
Don't take offense, it's not a pissing match. I just completely disagree with your opinion that an education is not needed not important. I honestly think its very arrogant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terre Haute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hannah Pipes (Jul '15) 3 min sohardithurts 9
Pete Tanoos pussed out 57 min Pewpstain McClain 6
bryan grimes 1 hr James 5
Police Chase 1 hr Corky 4
Merger at Union Hospital 2 hr UnionSucks 4
Feds at VCSC 3 hr Photog 656
Rondrell 3 hr Sherri 17
Why are teachers and principals afraid of Tanoos? 7 hr Ex HCI Doc 29
Alan Morrison a public official bashing VCSC 9 hr Granny 62
Poll Should Danny Tanoos be replaced Vigo County Sch... (Aug '12) Thu TH Resident 95
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Terre Haute Mortgages