Daycare owner loses license

Daycare owner loses license

There are 50 comments on the WTHI Terre Haute story from Jan 5, 2009, titled Daycare owner loses license. In it, WTHI Terre Haute reports that:

In November, News 10 investigated allegations of unusual activity taking place inside Just Like Granny's House Daycare on 3rd Ave.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTHI Terre Haute.

About Time

Reynoldsburg, OH

#21 Jan 6, 2009
Remember what happened to the Williams girl ?

The woman who abused her is running free .
John Williams

United States

#22 Jan 6, 2009
Nostradamus wrote:
whose going to pay for the cameras?
Funny you asked that. There are two parties involved in this business deal. Parents bring their children to the daycare to be watched over and nurtured as well as learn (hopefully). The Owner takes those children in and performs those tasks and is paid for that. From a business standpoint,$2000.00 for equipment is a business cost and perhaps even lowering insurance (if they have it, you should all check that).
I know that it is expensive to take your children to daycare in order for you to work but there are sacrifices worth taking, trust me, and if it cost me, as a parent, another 10-20/per week to have some sense of security, I would gladly shed any vice I have to make sure I can pay it.
I offered way back a few years ago to have a pilot site test the system that I would have paid for but nobody wanted it. Too much big brother and fear that if bobby hits sally while at school that the parents now have grounds for lawsuit etc... I can understand the fear but if the school is a first rate school, minimal problems should be found. I have not looked into the systems in awhile but I do know you can get a closed circut system with recorder at sams for around $1500 and I am sure the internet electronics are there even cheaper if looked for.
Lets say your daycare is 10 kids. Say it was $2000 for recorder and install with cameras, over a one year you would need an extra $200 from each child's care to cover that cost completely. That breaks down to about $16.60 each month extra or $4.15 extra a week for each child over the year. It is paid off, you have the equipment, you have the extra security of being able to defend most claims and the parents are able to review a tape if need be.
The other option was the internet view which is more costly but oh the possiblities with the system.
You are not going to take 100% of the issues out of the business and I am not sure that in this case it would have solved anything except perhaps watching more than 1 child going into the bathroom at a time. The drinking, if that occured, would most likely never been viewed on camera unless they are that careless. It is just a net that hopefully helps deter any bad decisions made by a worker to a child.
John Williams

United States

#23 Jan 6, 2009
NOT JAILED wrote:
<quoted text>
I've missed you John!! glad your back!!
Thank you. Had to step away from this contuinal fighting with no resolve. Pointless and will drive me further insane :-) Not sure I have ever been missed on a message board before :-)
Nostradamus

AOL

#24 Jan 6, 2009
I dont know about your daycare, but our is 90 percent state funded children, there is no extra $5 a week for most of these families. There are places you wouldn't be able to put cameras, and this is where the scrupulous daycares would know to do their drinking,etc. If for a second you think there is a problem with your daycare, you should find a new daycare. We have cameras in our daycare where the owner can keep an eye on their workers when in the nursery, playroom or on the playground. There's no recorder but the owner can still view whats going on from their second daycare where she works, and the staff knows there are cameras.
kiss mine 09

Columbus, OH

#25 Jan 6, 2009
let me tell you my children went to this daycare and were very loved and taken care of there she left for california cause here daughter had just returned for the war i would of went if it was my child. we loive in terre haute were most people are low income so they get help with childcare and if you knew the whole story you would know she was friends with the girl who complained gee she was making more money owed back money to the daycare things get bad and boom a loving person is out of business and kids are pulled apart from friends and second families my children learned alot and loving being there so dont talk bad about some one you dont even know now my children go to a new daycare its good but not ''home ''to them my 3 yr old still sets down every nite at supper and says his prayer he was taught while there this lady hurt alot of people the children,employees and the owner you should be ashamed i'm sure we will here from her again down the road when she gets mad at another daycare same story another day we love you ad miss and things will work out in the end also as for the acholol she lives there and after the children leave it is her home duh..........how many of you have alcohol at home or bottles in your trash does that make you bad??????????
Nostradamus

AOL

#26 Jan 6, 2009
That sure is one long sentence!
Nostradamus

AOL

#27 Jan 6, 2009
It was more than one complaint, and there have been complaints since she had just the one daycare. It's not the first time she's been check out by the state.
unknownname

Terre Haute, IN

#28 Jan 6, 2009
She lost two of her licenses and one might be lost if she doesn't appeal. So that means 2/3 parts of her daycare are shut down. She didn't appeal the first two, chance are she won't appeal the third.
kiss mine 09

Columbus, OH

#29 Jan 6, 2009
more than one complaint,by the same person and her family wow any one could call and complain.
kiss mine 09

Columbus, OH

#30 Jan 6, 2009
how do you know she is not appelling ? she is duh..........
John Williams

United States

#31 Jan 6, 2009
Nostradamus wrote:
I dont know about your daycare, but our is 90 percent state funded children, there is no extra $5 a week for most of these families. There are places you wouldn't be able to put cameras, and this is where the scrupulous daycares would know to do their drinking,etc. If for a second you think there is a problem with your daycare, you should find a new daycare. We have cameras in our daycare where the owner can keep an eye on their workers when in the nursery, playroom or on the playground. There's no recorder but the owner can still view whats going on from their second daycare where she works, and the staff knows there are cameras.
You make some very valid points in your discussion here. For some of those very reasons is why it is probably not the best idea to have the business in your home. But really, there would only be about 1 place in the home where a camera couldn't be located at and that would be inside the bathrooms. But as I said, if they were drinking during business hours, I would highly doubt they will do it in view of a camera. It is merely a deterant for the worker to do something you wouldn't do with a parent there and it is a saftey net for the worker in the event an accusation is made.

In my example listed, I also made note that was over a 1 year payoff time frame. Honestly, you truly believe that there isn't another $4-5 from the families that could be found? I think you are fooling yourself. We all have $5 in wasted expenses a week we could forgo in order to help increase the safety in our kids. 1 pack of cigs, 3-4 cokes, a meal at burger king and on and on. It can be done but we all can find an excuse as to why we don't get it done.

The use of those cameras are a great idea, I would also suggest that the families be able to come in unanounced to just review the interactions of the teachers with the kids, it would help bolster confidence. Trust me, had I known something was not right in that daycare, I would have had my daughter out but it wasn't known until the issue had occured.

I am realistic to understand that cost is a factor, people are nervous about cameras and that physical surroundings of a home/daycare make it tougher but please don't pretend that it can't happen. I am not sure what the lowest price is to have your kids in a daycare here in TH, but we paid $90/wk in 2002 for one child and understood that was cheap for daycare across the nation, about average for licensed daycare in the area and expensive for the unlicensed homes in this area. For an accredited preschool, on average I think the cost was around $120/wk here in the area and there are only a few of them here. ISU, Union Hospital and St Mary of the Woods. Perhaps there are more I am unaware of forgot about. If your talking state funded children, how much is that per child/wk? What does the parents have to pay out of pocket?
WHO CARES

Terre Haute, IN

#32 Jan 6, 2009
WHO CARES
John Williams

United States

#33 Jan 6, 2009
Nostradamus wrote:
It was more than one complaint, and there have been complaints since she had just the one daycare. It's not the first time she's been check out by the state.
This is a big problem with the system and it being so fragmented. Nobody really knows where to go, who to ask and what information is given about an individual.

The CASY (4c) program would be a start but I don't believe they house all the information you would want to decide on where to take your child. I would love to see the day when the child care industry is transparent and online.

Let me know:

1. Any history of complaints about this person and the type.
2. what was the outcome/who ruled on it
3. How long has this owner been in childcare
4. Teaching qualifications
5. Insurance policy
6. amount of children licensed for
7. a criminal background check nationally
8. CPR certifications
9. State inspections and any infractions
10. Employees and their background check

Now you can ask these things and search them all out on your own but how nice would it be to be able to have a compilation of these providors at one place along with all the information, short of an onsite visit, you need to make an informed decision. Problem is, some attorney has argued to keep out accusations made unless convicted. That is fine but if I am the parent, I should have the right to be able to figure out whether that accusation is credible enough for me to take the risk of leaving my child with someone I don't know. Had we had information about Courtenay Scott in her Terre Haute day nursery care, we would have most likely went somewhere else and our lives would have turned out differently. It isn't worth the risk to not have all the information available.
unknownname

Terre Haute, IN

#34 Jan 6, 2009
kiss mine 09 wrote:
how do you know she is not appelling ? she is duh..........
She did not appeal the first two, those are gone. The third, who knows.
TNG

United States

#35 Jan 6, 2009
About Time wrote:
Remember what happened to the Williams girl ?
The woman who abused her is running free .
Yes I remember Alexis Williams,the little girl murdered by Courtney Scott.This is the exact reason why my child does not and will not go to day care as far as I can help it.Courtney is walking free cause her father payed off anyone to do with it.She murdered that poor baby.I feel so bad for John Williams and his wife.I know plenty of daycares in this town and their owners and I know alot of employees in these daycares.THERE IS NO WAY I would leave my child in none of them.
Nostradamus

AOL

#36 Jan 6, 2009
people with children care who cares, if u have children sorry for their luck. Go to fssa.in.gov , click on locate childcare. Will show list of providers, it also show how many kids they are licensed for, inspection information, complaint info, and whether the state issued any kind of enforcement.
TNG

United States

#37 Jan 6, 2009
terre haute wrote:
I can tell you as a close friend of the owner for several years that what was said in the news is only a fraction of what has really been going on and there are alot of key points that have been left out and the state doesn't take your license without proof and a complete investigation. Her license should of been taken along time ago, and also there have been several complaints against her in the past and I don't have the web site handy but you can view some of the past allegations against her. She is a liar and master manipulator.
You just sound like a back stabbing *****.Claining you are her friend and then getting on here talking trash about her.Friends like you is the reason people dont need enemies!Why dont you go tell her what you are saying on here *Friend*...
I think they should keep her shut down until they know the truth.I mean c'mon the woman had beer bottles on her porch.Even if they are recycled they still should not be around children at all.Children are curious and may get a hold of that kind of thing.

Since: Dec 08

United States

#38 Jan 6, 2009
John Williams wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny you asked that. There are two parties involved in this business deal. Parents bring their children to the daycare to be watched over and nurtured as well as learn (hopefully). The Owner takes those children in and performs those tasks and is paid for that. From a business standpoint,$2000.00 for equipment is a business cost and perhaps even lowering insurance (if they have it, you should all check that).
I know that it is expensive to take your children to daycare in order for you to work but there are sacrifices worth taking, trust me, and if it cost me, as a parent, another 10-20/per week to have some sense of security, I would gladly shed any vice I have to make sure I can pay it.
I offered way back a few years ago to have a pilot site test the system that I would have paid for but nobody wanted it. Too much big brother and fear that if bobby hits sally while at school that the parents now have grounds for lawsuit etc... I can understand the fear but if the school is a first rate school, minimal problems should be found. I have not looked into the systems in awhile but I do know you can get a closed circut system with recorder at sams for around $1500 and I am sure the internet electronics are there even cheaper if looked for.
Lets say your daycare is 10 kids. Say it was $2000 for recorder and install with cameras, over a one year you would need an extra $200 from each child's care to cover that cost completely. That breaks down to about $16.60 each month extra or $4.15 extra a week for each child over the year. It is paid off, you have the equipment, you have the extra security of being able to defend most claims and the parents are able to review a tape if need be.
The other option was the internet view which is more costly but oh the possiblities with the system.
You are not going to take 100% of the issues out of the business and I am not sure that in this case it would have solved anything except perhaps watching more than 1 child going into the bathroom at a time. The drinking, if that occured, would most likely never been viewed on camera unless they are that careless. It is just a net that hopefully helps deter any bad decisions made by a worker to a child.
I know someone who had their dog in daycare and there was a webcam set up where you could access their website and view your pet to make sure things were on the up and up. But then again this country had laws which protected animals from abuse BEFORE there were laws which protected children.
John Williams

United States

#39 Jan 6, 2009
Titanic wrote:
<quoted text>
I know someone who had their dog in daycare and there was a webcam set up where you could access their website and view your pet to make sure things were on the up and up. But then again this country had laws which protected animals from abuse BEFORE there were laws which protected children.
I will give you that. Fines and penalties are so much more strictly enforced for animals than kids. Go figure that out.
John Williams

United States

#40 Jan 6, 2009
Nostradamus wrote:
people with children care who cares, if u have children sorry for their luck. Go to fssa.in.gov , click on locate childcare. Will show list of providers, it also show how many kids they are licensed for, inspection information, complaint info, and whether the state issued any kind of enforcement.
Unless things have greatly changed, they still will not show unsubstantiated claims. When you do that, you take a major part of the decision process out of the parents hands. If one person complains that a providor touched my child in an innappropriate manner, I may be willing to take the description from the providor at face value even though the complaint was unsubstantiated by the FSSA. If there are multiple complaints around the providor from many people yet unsubstantiated, I want to know that because I would not put myself in that position of chance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terre Haute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Norm Loudermilk got fired as a police officer f... 2 min Geo-demographer 43
How did Richard Gibbs die?? 10 min Bad ass sister in... 15
West vigo principal 29 min Victoria Beckham 2
Vigo County And Its City And Towns Have No Mora... 43 min Thugs 8
News Lawmakers: Gas tax increase might get reduced i... 47 min Thugs 1
Do You Have Serious PESD Symptoms? 1 hr PESD 1
Duke Energy Thugs 1 hr Thugs 39
Feds at VCSC (Jun '16) 2 hr Reno Geeb 1,897

Terre Haute Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Terre Haute Mortgages