Have you had a bad church experience?

Posted in the Terre Haute Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Richard

League City, TX

#1 May 30, 2009
Have you had a bad church experience? Then what have you done with it? How does that differ from bad family experiences?

The seven top reasons why a person leaves a church then to never come again and many to never attend any church again. That is why I am so passionate about this subject that few are willing to talk about or admit.

1: Perhaps you have been gossiped about, someone told lies about you and you feel betrayed from someone you once called friend.

2: Perhaps you are in a conflict, coming out of a conflict or headed for a conflict with another church member.

3: Perhaps you are in serious disagreement with the pastor and or the church leadership.

4: Perhaps you are discouraged that your issues and troubles are not being heard or your needs being met.

5: Perhaps you are so stressed out in life and find church too consuming or confusing and do not know where to start or go.

6: Perhaps you have been humiliated and lost any courage to go that you may have had once.

7: Perhaps you feel you have been fired and rejected by the church and see no other place to go.
William Dale Matherly

Philadelphia, PA

#3 May 30, 2009
Gathering place for the hypocrites!! Most people sin all week long then think an hour or two in church will make their miserable lives OK again..Hell will be overflowing someday when all the hypocrites get there!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha..burn baby burn..hahahahahahahahahahahaha ha
Josie

Aberdeen, OH

#4 May 30, 2009
As we all know there is no perfect church.But we should try and live so people around us,can say I'd like to have what they have.Everyone has been hurt at church,one time or other.Yes William Dale,they are hyprocites in most churches but we have to pray for them.
fair

Sardinia, OH

#5 May 30, 2009
William Dale Matherly wrote:
Gathering place for the hypocrites!! Most people sin all week long then think an hour or two in church will make their miserable lives OK again..Hell will be overflowing someday when all the hypocrites get there!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha..burn baby burn..hahahahahahahahahahahaha ha
Your as bright as a burned out light bulb!!!!!
Ron

Terre Haute, IN

#6 Jun 2, 2009
I found a perfect church in a West T Trailer.
Bill

Du Bois, PA

#7 Jun 3, 2009
I toyed with the idea of joining that new, brick church on 46 just before Riley. I had second thoughts when the "closer" asked me to kindly bring in my last year's tax return so he would "assist me" in calculating my projected tithe.

Yes churches survive on tithing but to ask me to reveal what I make ahead of time???

Pass.......
Disgusted

Terre Haute, IN

#9 Jun 5, 2009
I was accused of theft and left for good, never took anything from the church.
I Care

Terre Haute, IN

#10 Jun 5, 2009
Church theft is an epidemic that has been plaguing the Church for decades. You may think Iím making reference to the occasional theft of the church offering. But the theft Iím more familiar with is a different kind of robbery that happens week after week all across the world. This is a heist that I personally been a part of!

We have a somewhat-unique situation in our church community, Evergreen, where we have an environment where people are able to hang out in a non-threatening setting, hear about Jesus and heal from the pains of life. There is nothing wrong with taking that time to get your bearings straight and take the time to hear from and wrestle with God. But at some point there comes a time to step out to serve with and in the community.

The problem is-it is easy to get comfortable in enjoying what everyone else brings to the community and never take the next step of contributing yourself. This is church theft! You will never see a church thief signed up to help set up, teach children, tear-down, serve the homeless, etc. I donít want to rob others in the community of what I could offer through my unique gifts and abilities and I donít want you to rob others of all you could offer.
Ann

Curwensville, PA

#11 Jun 5, 2009
That is incredible.
Bill wrote:
I toyed with the idea of joining that new, brick church on 46 just before Riley. I had second thoughts when the "closer" asked me to kindly bring in my last year's tax return so he would "assist me" in calculating my projected tithe.
Yes churches survive on tithing but to ask me to reveal what I make ahead of time???
Pass.......

“be free indeed”

Since: Jul 09

massachusetts

#12 Dec 5, 2009
Josie wrote:
As we all know there is no perfect church.But we should try and live so people around us,can say I'd like to have what they have.Everyone has been hurt at church,one time or other.Yes William Dale,they are hyprocites in most churches but we have to pray for them.
This is correct, no perfect church - but there is a perfect Christ. We all should focus on if we have allowed this Jesus room in our hearts, especially this holiday season.
I think some "Christians" are Christian in name and outward appearence only, not in reality. Trusting in Jesus brings a chance that is worked by God.

I am truly sorry for any people with bad church experiences. It is too common. There are too many others with bad ideas of the Christ of the Bible. He saves completely, so that you can know for certain that heaven is a sure destiny of ours. Do you have this assurance?

There are good churches to go to that believe this. Seek to find this truth - that will set you free
JimDandy

Terre Haute, IN

#13 Dec 5, 2009
I passed out in church when it was really hot. Does that count?
debby

Arlington, TX

#14 Dec 5, 2009
Richard wrote:
Have you had a bad church experience? Then what have you done with it? How does that differ from bad family experiences?
The seven top reasons why a person leaves a church then to never come again and many to never attend any church again. That is why I am so passionate about this subject that few are willing to talk about or admit.
1: Perhaps you have been gossiped about, someone told lies about you and you feel betrayed from someone you once called friend.
2: Perhaps you are in a conflict, coming out of a conflict or headed for a conflict with another church member.
3: Perhaps you are in serious disagreement with the pastor and or the church leadership.
4: Perhaps you are discouraged that your issues and troubles are not being heard or your needs being met.
5: Perhaps you are so stressed out in life and find church too consuming or confusing and do not know where to start or go.
6: Perhaps you have been humiliated and lost any courage to go that you may have had once.
7: Perhaps you feel you have been fired and rejected by the church and see no other place to go.
i don't go to church. i don't like the people in church. they go in the hopes of cleansing their sins in one day. some are just hermits. i would be a hermit vs a church goer. the preacher can't tell me what i already know but it is good for socialization i guess. i like the monks anyway.
harper

Clearwater, FL

#15 Dec 5, 2009
Any Baptist church experience is a bad experience to me. ANY
Horatio Alger

Terre Haute, IN

#16 Dec 6, 2009
Bill wrote:
I toyed with the idea of joining that new, brick church on 46 just before Riley. I had second thoughts when the "closer" asked me to kindly bring in my last year's tax return so he would "assist me" in calculating my projected tithe.
Yes churches survive on tithing but to ask me to reveal what I make ahead of time???
Pass.......
I gave everything I could to that ssame church. 80 grand one year(I could afford it). The minister didnt even know my name. Longyear is awesome and should either run things or leave that sinking ship. We were constantly in a fundraiser or getting ready to kick one off. SO SICK of the money talk that one Sunday I stood up halfway through the service, walked out and have never been in a church since. Im not even sure that I believe in God anymore

“be free indeed”

Since: Jul 09

massachusetts

#17 Dec 7, 2009
harper wrote:
Any Baptist church experience is a bad experience to me. ANY
So I assume you have since found a different church you feel comfortable in? One that gives you the peace you've been looking for?
Enough

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Dec 7, 2009
the truth of the matter is most churches all they want is your money. To gossip and be self righteous and judgmental. You all put yourselves above everyone else and think you are better than everyone else. I would much rather help someone, be it money or otherwise directly.

Not to say I do do not believe in God. I do very strongly. Every form of organized religion be it the Baptist, Pentecostal, Catholic, Evangelical. All think they are the one and only true church, there ways are the only right way and everyone else is wrong. You twist and turn the bible to fit your needs.

john 3:16 says For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. But then some you say there is no God only Jesus??????
Enough

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Dec 7, 2009
I Care wrote:
Church theft is an epidemic that has been plaguing the Church for decades. You may think Iím making reference to the occasional theft of the church offering. But the theft Iím more familiar with is a different kind of robbery that happens week after week all across the world. This is a heist that I personally been a part of!
We have a somewhat-unique situation in our church community, Evergreen, where we have an environment where people are able to hang out in a non-threatening setting, hear about Jesus and heal from the pains of life. There is nothing wrong with taking that time to get your bearings straight and take the time to hear from and wrestle with God. But at some point there comes a time to step out to serve with and in the community.
The problem is-it is easy to get comfortable in enjoying what everyone else brings to the community and never take the next step of contributing yourself. This is church theft! You will never see a church thief signed up to help set up, teach children, tear-down, serve the homeless, etc. I donít want to rob others in the community of what I could offer through my unique gifts and abilities and I donít want you to rob others of all you could offer.
Your out of your head people have lives outside of church, they may want to help but between work, some working 2-3 jobs just to take care of their families they may not have the time. This isn't theft this is life. another fine example of judgmental and self righteous so called Christians. As said I would much rather help someone directly than through the church. At least I know it is going where it is intended and needed to go. I realize there are some small churches that need the help but it has become an industry of greed. It must be nice to make your living off God, never having to pay any taxes. Fleecing the flock as it were. The true church is in the heart not in a building.

Answer me another question why is it that some of those who do tithe 10% of thier income are still struggling. The church expects if you make 30,000 per year then you are supposed to give 3000 to the church. take that times 300 members of some of the bigger churches, that is 90,000 per year. Then they ask you for even more for missionary trips etc. Pretty nice living the pastor is making.
harper

Clearwater, FL

#20 Dec 7, 2009
True Liberty I am still looking for peace. I prefer to worship in the way the book of Matthew states. God will guide me. Thanks for caring.
THDad

Chelsea, MI

#21 Dec 8, 2009
I got to church to worship God, fellowship with the body of Christ and do my best to listen and guide my family the way the Word says. I'm not worried about hypocrites, they are everywhere, because they are human. I see a lot of "theology" from people that have enough knowledge about God and the church to be dangerous. Why don't we try reading the entire Word of God and not formulate our opinions or judgments upon the church as whole. Money is an issue in the Bible. The Bible speaks more on money than Hell. Again more comments from someone who knows enough to be dangerous. Hey, Jesus had it all and became poor so that you could be rich. He lived a life of giving and generosity. Check the disciples, they left all they had and gave it up for God. New Testament giving starts with the tithe. Look in Acts the people sold all they had and laid it at the disciples feet (Acts 2:42-47) That does not mean there are con-men. I think its ironic that people are talking about hypocrites and judging when they are doing the same. The church is an organism not an organization. It has people and whenever there is people there is imperfection. It's a good thing that Christ died for you whatever you may think about Him or His Church.
Joe

Chelsea, MI

#22 Dec 8, 2009
got to church to worship God, fellowship with the body of Christ and do my best to listen and guide my family the way the Word says. I'm not worried about hypocrites, they are everywhere, because they are human. I see a lot of "theology" from people that have enough knowledge about God and the church to be dangerous. Why don't we try reading the entire Word of God and not formulate our opinions or judgments upon the church as whole. Money is an issue in the Bible. The Bible speaks more on money than Hell. Again more comments from someone who knows enough to be dangerous. Hey, Jesus had it all and became poor so that you could be rich. He lived a life of giving and generosity. Check the disciples, they left all they had and gave it up for God. New Testament giving starts with the tithe. Look in Acts the people sold all they had and laid it at the disciples feet (Acts 2:42-47) That does not mean there are con-men. I think its ironic that people are talking about hypocrites and judging when they are doing the same. The church is an organism not an organization. It has people and whenever there is people there is imperfection. It's a good thing that Christ died for you whatever you may think about Him or His Church.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terre Haute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
It's just politics 50 min voiceofreason1909 1
if you want open government in Terre Haute.... 1 hr Duby 15
Donyeal 1 hr JustAskin 4
City has no money so....lets spend. 1 hr jethro 13
News Deadline Is Today For City To Sign Sludge Deal 1 hr Duke 1
Poll Who will you vote for in District 3 City Council? 1 hr Duke 13
Tomorrow's Primary 1 hr Voted Saturday 3
Does the City Controller ever work ??? 2 hr Dictator 15
Reid Zoll filed bankruptcy 5 hr wondering 9
Don Smith in Nursing Home (Nov '13) 9 hr X 37
Rattlesnakes in Dobbs Park Sun gOON sQUAD 22
More from around the web

Terre Haute People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]