TravelMom

Terre Haute, IN

#108 Feb 8, 2013
GASMAN wrote:
If he's "SPENDING" $100 week for gas for the travel team...that explains a lot to me as to why the league is in the red. If you choose for YOUR kid to play travel YOU should be paying for the gas, not the rest of the league! All that $ was pumped into a crapy "TRAVEL" team that was not that good and truely had no business playing against the teams they were playing. The rest of the parents playing $ into the LEAGUE should not support Todd's TRAVEL TEAMS! The league had plenty of to pay for equiptment before you know who came along. And things were explained at the SECRET MEETING....how helpful! Right
<quoted text>
. MY son was on the travel team and first of all we didn't take a bus this year...all the parents drove our children!!! Secondly, our boys not only went up and competed we had a great season and upset Warren Central on their home field in the first round of the playoffs. Why run down kids? Better yet, know your facts! I paid for my own gas for my own kid to get to Indy every week there were no buses for the Jr. Sycamores this year!
Curious

Terre Haute, IN

#109 Feb 8, 2013
TravelMom wrote:
<quoted text>. MY son was on the travel team and first of all we didn't take a bus this year...all the parents drove our children!!! Secondly, our boys not only went up and competed we had a great season and upset Warren Central on their home field in the first round of the playoffs. Why run down kids? Better yet, know your facts! I paid for my own gas for my own kid to get to Indy every week there were no buses for the Jr. Sycamores this year!
So he didn't use the money on gas for transporting the Children?
what

Terre Haute, IN

#110 Feb 8, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>So he didn't use the money on gas for transporting the Children?
What about meals? A travel team mom straight up told me meals were pd for for the kids too....so a travel parent lied to me? Who paid to be in the travel team games...there are fees? "Curious", I'm questioning the gas thing too???? There were several kids that quit travel because it was terrible going out and getting beat up so much and not being able to produce..travel needs to stop until 7th and 8th grade. Let the kids develope more before and maybe they can compete with these teams.
sure

Terre Haute, IN

#111 Feb 9, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
travel needs to stop until 7th and 8th grade. Let the kids develope more before and maybe they can compete with these teams.
Right, they are going to get better only practicing twice a week and splitting play time 50/50 with kids who don't even know what's going on. sounds like a great plan to bury football in TH once and for all.
concerned mom

Terre Haute, IN

#112 Feb 11, 2013
pooper dooper wrote:
2 practices a week..hmmm yea wonder why these kids give up they need more...keep these kids off the streets. Stupid
They also need to do homework and learn how to be kids. They need to play and use their imaginations. Imaginative play builds brain power. Synapses fire and build creative thinkers. Football, while an enjoyable recreation, is NOT the end all and be all of life. Less than 1% of these kids will earn a football scholarship to college. We should be teaching the 'whole' child
concerned mom

Terre Haute, IN

#113 Feb 11, 2013
Tina wrote:
<quoted text> are those the papers you had in front of you on the news Heather?? You wer trying to look like you and brian wer important people on the board ha far from the truth wen your husbands not even a coach liar!!!
I am not Heather and I find your illiterate rantings interesting. No where have you mentioned your own efforts to provide a good experience for the boys. What have YOU done? Obviously you have an issue with this woman. Fine. The subject, however, is youth football. Not personal vendettas.
Tina

Fond Du Lac, WI

#114 Feb 11, 2013
concerned mom wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not Heather and I find your illiterate rantings interesting. No where have you mentioned your own efforts to provide a good experience for the boys. What have YOU done? Obviously you have an issue with this woman. Fine. The subject, however, is youth football. Not personal vendettas.
Ha then who are you??? Yes it is personal when people like you are trying to take away something so important to these kids that pisses me off...I have been at EVERY practice and EVERY game cheering on all the boys on my sons team which is what these kids need not this behind the scene political bullshit like your trying to stir up HEATHER CAMPBELL! I've always been there to lend a hand and everyone who knows me and my family knows i would do anything for ANYone of the boys regardless!!!!! And I WILL DO ANYTHING NEEDED TO KEEP VCYF GOING FOR THE WONDERFUL KIDS THAT ENJOY IT AND NEED IT!!! So shut your face and check your facts about everyone involved!
figures

Terre Haute, IN

#115 Feb 11, 2013
concerned mom wrote:
<quoted text>
They also need to do homework and learn how to be kids. They need to play and use their imaginations. Imaginative play builds brain power. Synapses fire and build creative thinkers. Football, while an enjoyable recreation, is NOT the end all and be all of life. Less than 1% of these kids will earn a football scholarship to college. We should be teaching the 'whole' child
I try to listen to the other side of the argument and this one made me think. So I did some figuring.

Right now we are at 3 practices a week at 1.5 hours a practice.
That's 4.5 hours of practice a week.

7 days a week = 168 hours
minus 8 hours of sleep = 112 hours
minus 35 hours of school per week = 77 hours

That is 5.8% of their free time spent practicing during the season.

Out of the whole year (77 hours x 52 weeks) they have 4004 hours of free time.

12 week season x 4.5 hours of practice per week = 54 hours.

So a grand total of 1.4% of their free time per year is what we ask. I don't think that is too much to ask.

Keep in mind there is flag football in Terre Haute. That may be a better option for some of these kids and their parents. I'm pretty sure they only practice once a week.
concerned mom

Terre Haute, IN

#116 Feb 14, 2013
Tina wrote:
<quoted text>Ha then who are you??? Yes it is personal when people like you are trying to take away something so important to these kids that pisses me off...I have been at EVERY practice and EVERY game cheering on all the boys on my sons team which is what these kids need not this behind the scene political bullshit like your trying to stir up HEATHER CAMPBELL! I've always been there to lend a hand and everyone who knows me and my family knows i would do anything for ANYone of the boys regardless!!!!! And I WILL DO ANYTHING NEEDED TO KEEP VCYF GOING FOR THE WONDERFUL KIDS THAT ENJOY IT AND NEED IT!!! So shut your face and check your facts about everyone involved!
I have no idea who you are and I am glad. You are a nasty person. I did check my facts and it is over. I called Jimmy Smith (Boys and Girls Club), the school corporation and Wabash Velley Sports. VCYF has been denied access to all three locations. Each cited fiscal irresponsibility, felony convictions and inappropriate board protocol as their reasons. None of which has anything to do with parents. The problems lie in MANAGEMENT. Which is why, I presume, Todd Russell and the rest of the board have not spoken to the press. They would have to admit that their bad judgement led to the demise of VCYF.
concerned mom

Terre Haute, IN

#117 Feb 14, 2013
Oh, and the Boys and Girls Club will have football. They are working with Indiana State University and will have camps this summer. They are also working with the school corporation and their coaching staff to include other things. Yeah! Trained folks will provide appropriate programming. It is a win for the boys of Terre Haute.
Molly

Chicago, IL

#118 Feb 14, 2013
Sounds like a repeat of the Hyte Center clusterfuck.
no cost

Chicago, IL

#119 Feb 15, 2013
Boys and girl club is having football at Valle field for kids 1st thur 4th and 7 & 8th graders. If VCYF wants to have football they must find a place too play.
buhby

United States

#120 Feb 15, 2013
no cost wrote:
Boys and girl club is having football at Valle field for kids 1st thur 4th and 7 & 8th graders. If VCYF wants to have football they must find a place too play.
What about 5th and 6th grade?
Geno

Terre Haute, IN

#121 Feb 15, 2013
What about 5-6th grade?

How do you know?
concerned mom

Terre Haute, IN

#122 Feb 16, 2013
January 14, 2013
Dear Mr. Russell:
Our firm has been retained by the Terre Haute Boys & Girls Club for counsel with regard to its relationship with Vigo Youth Football Corp. and the agreement between those parties with respect to Boys & Girls Club property. After consulting with the Club’s Board of Directors, its officers and executive director have advised me that continuing the current relationship with Vigo Youth Football is unacceptable and must be terminated.
The Club’s Board of Directors and management believe a youth football program is important to young athletes and their families. It is vital that the program go forward in a responsible, fair, and safe environment for the welfare of its participants and those who attend the games. As organizations have learned all over the country in recent years, no individual or organization can safely ignore mismanagement or misconduct that in any way touches upon youth programming or athletic competition.
In this regard, the Club would cite the failure of Vigo Youth Football Corp. to conduct regular board meetings consistent with its by-laws or to report on those meetings regularly with minutes distributed to board members. This is of considerable importance because the terms of the agreement require Club representation in making key decisions for Vigo Youth Football. Such meetings occur rarely, if at all, and there is no genuine board governance for the corporation.
There have been multiple problems with game security and inadequate representation from Vigo Youth Football to assure a safe environment. Player safety is a critical issue, and yet the Club is aware of disparate treatment of some participants with regard to the quality of equipment issued to various teams and players. There are serious concerns about financial management in Vigo Youth Football, an organization that evidently cannot account for all of its receipts and expenses, has insufficient recordkeeping to permit an audit, and by its own reports has lost nearly $77,000 over the last three years. Vigo Youth Football has failed to pay all sums due to the Club under the 2010 agreement. And, of tremendous concern in modern times, children are being coached by persons known to be convicted felons despite the adoption of rules that would prohibit such an assignment.
concerned mom

Terre Haute, IN

#123 Feb 16, 2013
The Club will no longer ignore these violations or permit the conduct of Vigo Youth Football on its premises. The Club is, however, willing to take over the Youth Football program and can share with you a more detailed proposal about a transition from current management to Club management in this regard. I would encourage you to contact Jimmy Smith to discuss those details.
The Club’s representatives have consulted key constituents in considering this step and are confident of the full support of the three high school football coaches and other community leaders in initiating this change. The goal here is to take discreet, appropriate steps to resolve a situation the Club sees as deteriorating and untenable. No one intends to embarrass any current participant and the Club does not challenge the good faith of anyone currently charged with operating the program. That does not mean, however, that the Club believes current operations are in any way satisfactory. There is no evidence to persuade the Club’s leadership that needed reforms are forthcoming.
In summary, the Club is prepared to work out an arrangement over the next 60 days to transition Youth Football to a program of the Boys & Girls Club in all respects. Vigo Youth Football Corp. would cease to operate the program. In any event, this is notice on behalf of the Club that the “Contract for Lease of Part of Boys and Girls Club Park for Use by Youth Football Program” is terminated effective March 31, 2013, and any corporate property remaining on the premises after that date will be deemed abandoned.
If you have question with regard to this letter, you are welcome to contact me. The best person to contact regarding the transition of the program would be Jimmy Smith.
concerned mom

Terre Haute, IN

#124 Feb 16, 2013
I believe the letter, as posted above in 2 parts says it all
concerned mom

Terre Haute, IN

#125 Feb 16, 2013
This is the text of the letter sent by the lawyers that VCYF received in January
leslie b

Terre Haute, IN

#126 Feb 16, 2013
yes hoping for better wrote:
Well if the kids will be able to play and things turn out better than go for it.. hopefully it won't cost 4 dollars to get in each game that is absurd. I have 4 boys on 4 different teams. Hmmm and I'm not rich I want to support my sons but sometimes have to choose which game I will attend that week ..economy hasn't made it easy for middle class working parents .dang milk cost almost 4 dollars and my boys drink a gallon in a hour.. so I have to choose..let's see some changes there please
I'm not sure of anything that is going on but I do know that I attended a couple TRAVEL TEAM home games that were played at Valle Field and there was NO, I REPEAT NO, ENTRY FEE for anybody. But I sure paid a gate fee when I went to Indy to watch them play. I also paid when I went to non-travel teams games at Valle. So that is crap, that I do know. Beautiful, professional looking home and away jerseys for the travel team, and crappy, mis-printed, too tight or too loose fitting jerseys for the non-travel teams. That is also crap. I understand the travel team may have needed a comparable apperarnce with the teams they were playing, but the travel teams need to TAG, HAVE FUND RAISERS, DONATIONS(which the bags were), SPONSORS or whatever to raise the money for their stuff. The league cannot charge everybody the same but give better stuff to just one group. That will never work.
hmmm

Hartland, WI

#128 Feb 16, 2013
The last part of that saying remove their equipment from said property is kinda hard since someone has changed locks and not allowing them in, not even let people in to check buses, i have been told this by a coach with the league, i dont think the b&g club should take over, then im sure we will have to pay more than what we do now , 80 bucks isn't bad considering around indy is alot higher and some make u buy your own equipment .i agree gate fee is a lil much , but if everyone would pay there fees and return equipment the could lower that. The league is goin to lose money when u buy new equipment every year. I like to talk about more but i aint got all day

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terre Haute Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are there any good bands in town to hire for a ... 1 hr Ellusion-fan 39
Snitches 1 hr noyb 49
mike lane 2 hr Hmmm 2
Hiring a Terre Haute Prostitute 2 hr Pimpin in a Doubl... 12
Drug testing for food stamps 2 hr Pimpin in a Doubl... 19
angel budd is pregnant popping pills (Jun '14) 2 hr Really 36
Chouil Lee. City attorney 3 hr Pay attention 29
Snake in the Grass Cliff Lambert 5 hr nose 7
Terre Haute North Baseball - Still Political? 6 hr Coach 111
Tonight's City Council meeting 11 hr yo 8